Sign in to follow this  
ThelMightylThor

Clothing That Has Purpose/Utility

Rocket has already said you will be able to find clothes and put them on as you like such as the motorcycle helmet. Well what if the clothing in dayz all served a purpose, such as a jacket would keep you warm, moto/military helmets could protect from blunt force trauma, you could have magazine vest pouches which allow for faster reloading, and many more but that is just to name a few. Let.me know what you think or any other ideas you have about this.

• Like 1

there is a lot of time for this, I dont think its time to think about details such these. I think rocket wants to work on some kind of armor clothing and warm clothing, but clothing that makes you reload faster? I dont think this game needs this at all, this aint call of duty.

He already kinda confirmed this will be in standalone btw.

So if you have your mags in your packpack you would reload your gun just as fast as if they were in a tactical vest that you are wearing?

Currently in dayz you already have like a easy access storage area which is where you put the mags for your primary weapon, pretty much you should have to find clothing that makes this available to you, like a hoodie could offer 3 slots of quick access storage and jeans could be 2 and so on

I believe I hear rocket talking about something similar to this. If I recall correctly he said, you will have the choice of wearing something like camo in the rain, with the chance of getting sick, or you can stay dry with a bright yellow rain coat kind of deal.

It would be nice to see something such as warm clothes (kind of useless on Chenarus), and LIGHT armour. A tactical vest shouldn't make you invincible, but have minor bullet reduction with low calibre rounds.

It has already been confirmed that clothing will serve many purposes.

Watch some of the older dev blogs.

From all I have heard it only protects you from your environment and is not any type of utility clothing that could help in combat, aid you in healing othet players, or anything else which is why I created this thread.

Form the sounds of things (no specific quotes off the top of my head. Sorry) functional clothing is a safe bet for SA.

I'm guessing most folks just assumed something like this was on the cards.

But then what purpose would bikinis and high heels have?

Edited by mat9813004

Clothing will absolutely have positive effects.

For example, Motorcycle Helmets prevent zombies from making you go unconscious. Body armor provides ballistic protection. Gloves provide biological protection. Etc...

• Like 1

Clothing will absolutely have positive effects.

For example, Motorcycle Helmets prevent zombies from making you go unconscious. Body armor provides ballistic protection. Gloves provide biological protection. Etc...

What about negative effects? Like having to remove a jacket if you are running around on a sunny day.

What about negative effects? Like having to remove a jacket if you are running around on a sunny day.

I'm working on the system as we speak which is sort of based on the buff/debuff systems used in MMO's like WoW. Of course you don't see this stuff, but it happens behind the scenes.

Things like running around without shoes will have longterm negative effects on your health and feet. We have a fracture system under development, but it's complicated by the need for a great deal of new animations.

• Like 2

Things like running around without shoes will have longterm negative effects on your health and feet.

Would that result in your feet getting covered in calluses, which in turn transforms you into Cody Lundin?

yap items should always have (if possible) positive and negative effects...

What would be good (if possible) is to have different footwear providing different degrees of traction, depending on the surface you walk/run on.

I know I can run and climb faster in trainers than I can in boots, but falling on your ass is a real threat if you hit a particularly slippery patch of wet grass at a full sprint.

The "hidden buffs" if intuitive enough, will allow for complexity without complication, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

What would be good (if possible) is to have different footwear providing different degrees of traction, depending on the surface you walk/run on.

I know I can run and climb faster in trainers than I can in boots, but falling on your ass is a real threat if you hit a particularly slippery patch of wet grass at a full sprint.

The "hidden buffs" if intuitive enough, will allow for complexity without complication, if that makes sense.

this is brilliant ....

Since ArmA works with drag to calculate vehicle speed on different surfaces and not grip to calculate if a vehicle can move forward on a slope ( everyone should know what i mean since if you drive up a slope or hill the engine almost dies instead of running a lower gear losing traction and revving higher ) I do hope they can achieve that. Would be great since it's pretty difficult to run with sneakers on wet grass compared to military boots.