Sign in to follow this  
-Gews-

.50s gone? Add the Lapua! (with 2 changes)

01VB8cb.jpg?1

This is a TRG-42, not an L115, but still... a Lapua.

So, once the 1.7.7 patch comes out, .50 cals will be banned. Good riddance, I don't think they belong in "vanilla" DayZ. However, I feel there still needs to be a long-range sniper rifle effective at 1 kilometer and further. Why?

1. It's an end-game. Many, many, people love sniper rifles.

2. The 7.62mm snipers simply are not effective at long range! - in real life (or ArmA), a chest shot at 800m will do some damn serious damage, but in DayZ, it's a mere scratch.

Hence I suggest adding the L115A2/A3. For Chernarus the green-colored version would be the way to go (classname BAF_LRR_scoped_w).

EhDL8E2.jpg?1

This rifle would need a couple minor changes before being implemented in DayZ.

DAMAGE:

This rifle currently does .50-cal damage - it's an instakill at almost any range. It should do .338 damage, not .50 damage.

Damage would need to be changed from "26" to "17".

It would still kill in one shot at closer ranges, but at long distances it would only wound or knock out. The "17" number comes from the standard BIS damage formula.

The ACE mod also pegs the Lapua at "17". Penetration could stay the same (2.07), the .338 Lapua is no slouch in that regard.

AIR FRICTION

Edit: one more change to the ammo- airFriction = -0.00068, not airFriction = -0.0005.

I checked against the Doppler radar data Lapua published in 2009 (specifically for the B408 bullet used by the British Army) and airFriction = -0.00068 matches the velocities out to 1000 meters far more closely than airFriction = -0.0005. I suspect Bohemia Interactive just guessed at an appropriate value instead of doing their research.

MIL-DOTS:

The mil-dots are incorrect on the L115 rifles, they can't be used with the standard range formulas. This is a relatively easy one-line fix, just change the discretefov values to "discretefov[] = { 0.075500, 0.018000 };"

Dwkw5ve.jpg?1

I don't feel this rifle is "overpowered" like the M107 and AS50 were frequently said to be - the biggest factor is it's not semi-automatic, meaning it really sucks in close range.

I also feel this rifle is more appropriate to the situation - a great deal of European nations use .338 Lapua rifles - the 7.62 is simply not an effective long-range sniping cartridge. The .338 is becoming very popular, so I don't think it would be out of place at all. The rifle isn't ridiculously heavy and big (like the .50s).

In terms of "balancing", recoil could be increased to M24 levels or higher - I feel the current recoil is too low for a .338. It could also have its "dexterity" lowered. Finally, it could also force one to drop their backpack like the KSVK does, as it is a rather large and heavy rifle.

hzSctaS.jpg?1

I want to see an effective long-range sniper in DayZ, even if it comes with its own set of distinct disadvantages - I liked seeing the .50s go (I felt they were out of place), but we need something (perhaps something less unrealistically deadly) to replace them.

    

Please R4Z0R! I'm on my knees! :lol:

     

Edited by Gews
  • Like 26

Well we do need something to replace the M107/AS50, I see this as the best alternative.

Good job.

• Like 5

I honestly don't think there needs to be a rifle that can hit over 500m consistently in DayZ. Supposed to be apocalypse and not many people have rifles that can hit that range accurately just sitting around.

• Like 4

I honestly don't think there needs to be a rifle that can hit over 500m consistently in DayZ. Supposed to be apocalypse and not many people have rifles that can hit that range accurately just sitting around.

You ever spent time in Eastern Europe??

I went on a hunting trip over there once.... Aint nothing quite like blowing the head off a deer at 600 meters ;)

• Like 3

I disagree. Stuff the .50 cals yest but .388 cal is still to strong. What caliber does the L96A1 use. Replace it with that, It'sa beutiful british sniper rifle.

I disagree. Stuff the .50 cals yest but .388 cal is still to strong. What caliber does the L96A1 use. Replace it with that, It'sa beutiful british sniper rifle. Also u must be able to scope in real quickly before shooting.

Oops. I like quoted myself. Oh well. Moderator? Help?

Edited by Goos

Wat.

NgKhCtA.png

Is this like my own Leviski?

• Like 2

Lol! You have your own stalker now, Enjoy.

• Like 1

Wat.

NgKhCtA.png

Is this like my own Leviski?

Lol! You have your own stalker now, Enjoy.

No, that is his own Impersonator, A stalker, at least a good one, follows the target undetected............... Hi Gews >=)

We have the M27, SVD and CZZ50. There are enough options for sniping already. There is a reason why they are removing these weapons, lets not replace one mistake with another.

• Like 1

This is a good idea. With the minor changes to Damage and Mil Dots of course. It also looks pretty darn cool.

We have the M27, SVD and CZZ50. There are enough options for sniping already. There is a reason why they are removing these weapons, lets not replace one mistake with another.

The l115a3 will never be a mistake , especially not with the damage changed , bolt action sick ass rifle for the winnn

i dont think long range sniping should be on the game, DayZ isnt a military simulator, it's a post apocalyptical survival, there's no need for that in the game.

• Like 1

just about Any typical hunting rifle can. in my home I have 1 rifle that wont hit a target at 500 meters (mini 30).

Edited by Whatsausername

So with the .50s out, what are we going to use to stop vehicles? The 50s I felt were there to take out the vehicles, but had a nice side effect of one shot kills.

You have one side of the community asking for more realisim which is basicly a one shot kill weapon with all weapons. Then you have the other side crying that they weapons are overpowered.

Sure it sucks to get sniped, but with the wind drift supposed to be going in next, those long range snipers are going to be forced to get some real skill, or get closer.

• Like 1

I don't have the .50 very often, but I don't have a problem with them. When they are super rare and have great disadvantages it's okay.

Anyway, because this is not the discussion point, I think the Lapua is a good choice, since It is kind of a good sniper rifle with also disadvantages. Good balancing attempts indeed.

Edited by Pawlzz

This may sound strange but here goes. I don't think Day Z turned out the way dean hall originally planned it to be. I get the vibe that yes he intended Day Z to be more then it is at the moment, hunting for food, foraging surviving against zombies, team up with players and so forth. The game that we have today has those mechanics but not at the level i think they originally intended them to be. Pvp kind of just took over and to me and i assume a lot others is the sole reason they play. To be quit honest I'm pretty sure day z wouldn't have its popularity today if it wasn't for the huge emphasis on it. I also think that's a major part of why BB is successfully because we cater for that type of game play, with extra military spawns and so forth. I don't think you can have the strait out survival aspect of a zombie game that was originally intended and have it implemented on the arma 2 engine as a mod, it just i guess doesn't feel right for me, it needs to be done another way.

I think high powered rifles (50 cal or 33 cal) are an essential addition to a server, but need to be very rare and few in number. The reason why i say this is because they act as a deterrent to wreck less acts performed by a player. What i mean by this is it creates that fear factor in someones mind that "Shit i should not run in that open field" even though that tree line is 800m away. If this fear factor was not in the game then people would run around carelessly or like spastics thinking they are a lot more safer. The good thing about this effect is it can still be applied even with VERY minimal number of 50 cal's on the server. Everyone doesn't necessarily need to have one for that way of thinking to occur its just the fact that someone knows its a possibility, this becomes a massive issue though when that possibility is dramatically increased. When it reaches that point it effects game-play and also causes a lot of people to complain. There's a thin line that needs to be balanced between people thinking how many 50 cal's are on the server and how many actually are. That same point explained above also apply's to not just players but vehicles/helicopters also. It will make a pilot/driver re think his route before actually doing it, if there was no fear factor people would just do what ever.

• Like 4

Fully support this, but having hefted much heavier rifles for long distances I am totally against the backpack drop.

The LMGs are far heavier than this rifle is and they don't require you to drop a pack, neither should this.

• Like 5

Fully support this, but having hefted much heavier rifles for long distances I am totally against the backpack drop.

The LMGs are far heavier than this rifle is and they don't require you to drop a pack, neither should this.

Have to agree with this. I don't have to drop my pack for an LMG, so I shouldn't need to for a sniper.

• Like 2