Sign in to follow this  
-Gews-

.50s gone? Add the Lapua! (with 2 changes)

I want the lapua so bad ingame, it just a pretty good balanced weapon if they do all the changes Gews suggested, so, 2 shot kill, bolt action so you will not be sprayed *cough, DMR/AS50/M017 right now *cough.

I'm glad they will get rid of 50 caliber snipers even though they're great for anti-material instead of anti-personnel.

This sniper would be a great replacement.

Just add these in and make the .50s (nearly) impossible to find.

There's no reason they should be completely impossible and removed (at least in the SA) but the chance of finding one should only have a 0.00000000000000001% of existing. Meaning that even if every person on Earth played DayZ, the sniper rifle would be as close to impossible as possible to find.

I am happy as long as they dont touch my DMR (Best Rifle In Game) :thumbsup:

Keep the game with just casual hunting rifles and maybe just dmr's. We don't need these high military teir snipers - like lipemr said, it's a zombie survival. EDIT: Although we do need somthing handy for taking out vehicles such as the Mi 17 which can only really be shot down by a .50 or somthing high powered.

Edited by Dekkymane

No, that is his own Impersonator, A stalker, at least a good one, follows the target undetected............... Hi Gews >=)

WRUG WRUNG WRUNG. I am like the totally legit real one here. Anyway this clone is running amuck. I mean look how many post's he's made.

So with the .50s out, what are we going to use to stop vehicles?

We still have LMGs and satchel charges. They work well against vehicles.

Remember some LMGs, like the M240, are one shot kills.

Keep the game with just casual hunting rifles and maybe just dmr's.

I would argue the DMR is more capable overall than any Lapua. Like I said, the Lapuas suck in close range. They're just bolt-actions. The DMR is good from 0 meters all the way out to 800, and many times you can't even see further. You can use it like an LMG to spam bullets at someone 800 meters away. I don't see the issue with adding in a Lapua considering all the hardware already in the game...

• Like 1

I honestly don't think there needs to be a rifle that can hit over 500m consistently in DayZ. Supposed to be apocalypse and not many people have rifles that can hit that range accurately just sitting around.

The greatest misunderstanding of the difference between a sniper rifle and civilian rifle is this...your CZ, Tikka, Remington, Ruger, Sako, Kimber, Savage, Stevens WHATEVER civilian rifle you pick, lets take 308, are very capable of hiting consistently out to 800+ meters...most civilians won't have military optics or glass that allows multiple at a variety of ranges. Put a military spec scope on a modern civilian rifle and you pretty much have a 'sniper rifle'.

As for 338 lap it is powerful enough that if kept in balance with the other calibers it's still going to one hit kill at the ranges that would make it as painfull as the 50 cals were. Very few people who think they are getting "sniped" are acutally getting sniped 300-500 meters tops. The 338 will 1 hit kill that, the rage and bitching lives on.

Edited by Trizzo

Since when are .50 cals being removed

As for 338 lap it is powerful enough that if kept in balance with the other calibers it's still going to one hit kill at the ranges that would make it as painfull as the 50 cals were. Very few people who think they are getting "sniped" are acutally getting sniped 300-500 meters tops. The 338 will 1 hit kill that, the rage and bitching lives on.

It would be a 1-shot kill out to 500-600 meters. After that it would wound or knock out.

Personally I see no problem with that - getting shot with even a .30-caliber FMJ in real life and it has a large chance of being a "1 shot kill".

The big "issue" with the .50 cals wasn't that they were 1-shot kills. It was that they were semi-automatic and could outperform assault rifles at close ranges, put 10 shots into a helicopter in 5 seconds, etc.

Rage and bitching should be in the game...

Edited by Gews
  • Like 2

Another option would be to change the "Lapua" to a .300 Winchester Magnum (damage 14, airFriction -0.00073). This caliber would only knock out, perhaps kill at very close ranges (under 50m).

Here's the .300 Win Mag damage (calculated for 190gr Sierra Matchking at 2,950 ft/s)

-000m: 10,888

-500m: 7,537

1000m: 5,219

Edited by Gews

so will L115 will be added in v1.7.7?

Hopefully yes, but is it likely...? Maybe if people can convince the community dev team. If so I hope they add the damage and mil dot corrections detailed in this thread.

Another long-range rifle would be the CZ550 "Ultimate Hunting" edition in .300 Winchester Magnum. Damage same as above, except it would be a bit less accurate (guaranteed to 1 MOA out to 600 yards) and magazines would only hold 3 cartridges. It could also be re-skinned to black Kevlar instead of walnut.

We still have LMGs and satchel charges. They work well against vehicles.

Remember some LMGs, like the M240, are one shot kills.

Thats's quite different from a sniper rifle where you don't have to interact with a player. You just see and kill like the game is supposed to be...are you living behind the moon? ;)

The big "issue" with the .50 cals wasn't that they were 1-shot kills. It was that they were semi-automatic and could outperform assault rifles at close ranges, put 10 shots into a helicopter in 5 seconds, etc.

Rage and bitching should be in the game...

I agree with one shot kills and i will defend the causes of most rage and bitching than most...i neglected to even consider the semi automatic aspect! .338 Lap bolt would be pretty balanced me thinks. Good caliber suggestion...338 win or 300 would be good as well.

Personally i'd love 9.3x62 and bears or moose to be added to the game...that would be heaven...powerful double barrel rifles or dangerous game rifles...add some class...the suggestion of CZ in winmag :thumbsup: ...personally i would like a Sauer 202 or 303 in wood. A slightly nerfed DMR, think 4-5 round mags, low power optics 1.5-5x20mm, the style of rifle typically used for Euro wood hunting.

Edited by Trizzo

Screw the .50's and Lapua's! Give me a CheyTac Intervention! I want one of those for my birthday.. <_<

I agree with one shot kills and i will defend the causes of most rage and bitching than most...i neglected to even consider the semi automatic aspect! .338 Lap bolt would be pretty balanced me thinks. Good caliber suggestion...338 win or 300 would be good as well.

Personally i'd love 9.3x62 and bears or moose to be added to the game...that would be heaven...powerful double barrel rifles or dangerous game rifles...add some class...the suggestion of CZ in winmag :thumbsup: ...personally i would like a Sauer 202 or 303 in wood. A slightly nerfed DMR, think 4-5 round mags, low power optics 1.5-5x20mm, the style of rifle typically used for Euro wood hunting.

I would like more hunting rifles in various calibers too, I like how you mentioned 1.5-5x and 9.3x62, I'm in the process of trying to make a 1.5-5x scope for a CZ550 in a "real" 9.3x62... it would be done by now but I don't know how to make my own reticle yet.

Screw the .50's and Lapua's! Give me a CheyTac Intervention! I want one of those for my birthday.. <_<

Good luck with that :lol:

I remember CheyTac caused a tiny stir a couple years ago by posting this on their website:

"CheyTac® M-200 is now available to the civilian market in a

mildly detuned civilian edition...

...we developed the M-200 CIV to have the same look and feel of the Military version but in a package that keeps the extreme distance edge with the front line forces of the US and our allies."

People obviously had issues with the company saying the "real" version was "too accurate" for civvies, especially when the "neutered" version still cost almost $14,000.

I believe CheyTac quickly got rid of the military-only policy.

• Like 1

I wouldn't call losing 8000 blood and passing out 'a mere scratch'.

Nonetheless, I agree. This would be a great replacement for the .50's.

Edited by JSparks

I wouldn't call losing 8000 blood and passing out 'a mere scratch'.

At 1,000 meters the 7.62s are doing roughly 3,000 damage... and after the first hit, good luck hitting the now-sprinting target again with a 7.62.

:P Hence the "mere scratch" comment. At closer ranges they're still effective, but I've always liked the idea of hurling projectiles looong distances.

Edited by Gews

At 1,000 meters the 7.62s are doing roughly 3,000 damage... and after the first hit, good luck hitting the now-sprinting target again with a 7.62.

:P Hence the "mere scratch" comment. At closer ranges they're still effective, but I've always liked the idea of hurling projectiles looong distances.

That would almost if not kill you with normal ArmA hitpoints. I sure hope they revert to that system since it's already good enough instead of tweaking health and weapon damage too much and making it worse.

I'm for the 115A3 and .338 Lapua, while I still believe the .50's should remain rather than be removed just tweaked enough to be "Balanced" but removing them seems best for the time being, its never an easy thing to just remove a weapon, it's sometimes best to try and fix it and balance it first. I still believe the KSVK should be added as an official weapon too, because of it's .50 cal nature but slow fire rate (being a bolt action .50 Cal).

Overall I actually think they shoul increase SVD Spawns as well as the M24 spawns and make the DMR even Rarer, I thought Chernarus was supposed to be a post soviet state, wouldn't it make more sense to have more SVD's than Western DMR's?

Plus, I always consider the "British Weapons" in DayZ to be of the High Quality end game gear, for the longest time I remember how the L85A2 AWS was my End Game weapon but it was removed before I even had the chance to use one properly. Now it's the other high end british gear I look for. In addition to other British weapons, perhaps the following could be added to further expand the somewhat limited variety of British weapons:

• L96A1 - Uses .308/7,62 NATO, takes L96 Mags, same damage as DMR/M24, 10 rounds. 2x M24 Magazines can be converted to 1x L96 Magazine or 1x DMR mag can be split into 2x L96 Mags in addition to 4x M24 Mags

• L115A3 - Uses .338 Lapua or .300 Magnum, 5 round mags.

• AW50 - Similar to KSVK, takes .50cal AW50 Mags, 5 rounds, bolt action, extremely slow fire rate, takes backpack slot

• Like 1