VibroKnife

Will Sniper Rifles be nerfed in the standalone?

Well bullet damage is a strange beast IRL too. It's dependant on so much more factors than just speed and calibre. I doubt that with the current computing power you could have a playable game that portrays it even reasonably accurate. I know of plenty of cases where police fired over 10 rounds of 9mm into someone and after that had to resort to a headshot to put 'em down. Same thing goes for a guy I know who was in Afghanistan. He fired 4 times into an oncoming insurgent, after each hit the guy just kept on coming. It took 4 5.56mm rounds within 100m before he finnally stayed down.

On the other side, the same rounds are known to put people down in one hit if they hit a "sweet spot". (This is all considering FMJ rounds.)

Bottom line is, untill games can simulate human anatomy and the effects of gunfire on it in a realistic way, we will always have to cut some corners damage wise. Overall I think ArmA does a decent job, better than other games at least.

Not to mention such variables as M855 (62 grain 5.56) inconsistent fragmenting. If it fragments (not a 100% thing), it does MASSIVE damage. The wound looks like a bomb went off inside the target and one hit can generally cause death by bleeding out. If not death, at least some serious maiming. If it does NOT fragment, it will merely drill a .22 caliber hole that does very little damage. 7.62 x 39, while consistent, does very little damage to soft tissue in real life. Neither expanding or fragmenting, the tumbling when it hits tissue causes a temporary cavity that will usually close up after the bullet exits and end up looking like a needle wound. Edited by NickM

Not to mention such variables as M855 (62 grain 5.56) inconsistent fragmenting. If it fragments (not a 100% thing), it does MASSIVE damage. The wound looks like a bomb went off inside the target and one hit can generally cause death by bleeding out. If not death, at least some serious maiming.

Exactly. Most military rounds don't fragment though cause of the FMJ. You want penetration power after all so light cover won't do it for the enemy. Still doesn't stop the little bastards from tumbling and ripping your innards to bits ofcourse. So yeah we can go on and on with a list of gruesome factors that come with gunshot wounds. I'd like to see the first game taking 'em all in :P

It would be nice to create some custom ammo. Tranquilizer darts, sleeping gas capsules or bean bag rounds must be pretty fun to use.

(EDIT: 10x + 1 because 10 x 0 is still 0)

LOL!

Well bullet damage is a strange beast IRL too. It's dependant on so much more factors than just speed and calibre. I doubt that with the current computing power you could have a playable game that portrays it even reasonably accurate. I know of plenty of cases where police fired over 10 rounds of 9mm into someone and after that had to resort to a headshot to put 'em down. Same thing goes for a guy I know who was in Afghanistan. He fired 4 times into an oncoming insurgent, after each hit the guy just kept on coming. It took 4 5.56mm rounds within 100m before he finnally stayed down.

For sure, there was a case in New Jersey I believe where a drugged suspect took over 30 rounds of 9mm softpoint, including headshots, then a 12-gauge slug, and was still running when another slug put him down.

Bottom line is, untill games can simulate human anatomy and the effects of gunfire on it in a realistic way, we will always have to cut some corners damage wise. Overall I think ArmA does a decent job, better than other games at least.

Mmmmm it's okay, but it certainly could be improved. There are lots of mods out there that have done a good job with that - DayZ is a mod so there's no reason DayZ couldn't intervene, I suppose there are just more important things (for most people) to fix at the moment.

Just for the record, snipers aren't overpowered at all, a sniper is a deadly adversary to cross in a warzone, and 9/10 times will beat you in a long range fight.

But that's not to say its hard to beat one, if you can determine the rough direction of shots its usually pretty easy to track a would-be sniper down.

And that's the thing, there are few snipers on DayZ, many sharpshooters, but few snipers.

• Like 2

I have my personal preference for weapons choice.

Sa-58V ACOG. (Rare)

I simply love the way this sounds and when playing in a team the players know it's me shooting. It can cause anyone problems. Although it is loud I use that to my advantage while sending in the guys around the flank to take that pesky sniper out.

M249. (Rare)

Spray and prey. This gun messes up snipers and vehicles like there is no tomorrow. It can also take out whole groups of people without a reload from great distances. (My preferred choice in arms)

Any Iron sight gun I prefer for killing zombies and going in close quarter combat against other players. Simply Zig-Zag and rush them forces snipers to break cover and run.

DMR's (Rare)

Are awesome but I personally don't use them. It's not that I cannot use one - far from it. It's the fact they cause tunnel vision and I find my self focusing on one target when there are many. Thus restricting my options.

In DayZ I consider guns to be a bonus – that's because you don't need one to survive. It's all about using common sense taking calculated risks and dealing with any given situation with the tools you have. To a certain degree you only require the basic tools.

Matches, Knife,Axe,Water Bottles are all things you need to survive.

The rest of the game is all down to the gamers making choices in my opinion.

Avoidance, Camping, Rushing, Flanking, Hiding are all tactics at your disposal.

But nothing needs a “nerf”. It's not World of Warcraft!

The only role you take on is surviving in a no holds bar situation. Do what ever it takes! Dead men don't talk! (Apparently they do!)

Edited by DevilsUrn
  • Like 1

Let's take out the default spawn of painkillers, and add in Heroin.

That was, freshspawns can jack up on heroin before gearing up, that way, when they get shot by the abundance of overpowered snipers, they will take it like a boss.

So since snipers are SO OP, we can just make herion give you like an extra 100k blood? What do you think of this OP?

UPVOTE SO ROCKET CAN SEE!!

Sniper rifles are fine and do take practice at range finding etc to master properly. If you've survived long enough to find one or killed a sniper then you deserve the right to nail stupid players who run across open fields or try to go for that shiny SUV. This topic seems to be a massive QQ. My advice? Slow down! If something looks too good to be true...chances are it is and there is a sniper already lining you up.

I have a better idea. Get better at using cover and concealment so people don't see you from 500m out.

Snipers are Mid to Long range weapons. They don't need to be nerfed at long ranges because this is their purpose. However, they are heavy weapons and extremely difficult for anyone to carry around and use like an assault rifle, so I don't think you should be able to use a sniper as such in game. It shouldn't be an all around weapon, just as an assault rifle shouldn't be able to accurately be used at long ranges. How would people feel about making it required to be kneeling or laying down in order to fire a sniper? Or maybe have it required to carry the weapon on your back in order to walk/run. I think this would make it much more difficult to use at close ranges, and you wouldn't be able to just spray and pray if you ran across someone carrying an SMG or an AR. It would make snipers a more balanced weapon, effective at long ranges but not so much at close ranges, as they are intended to be used.

Edit: D'oh! Just found these have been brought up already

Edited by BlueNinja6

How would people feel about making it required to be kneeling or laying down in order to fire a sniper?

How about no? It's like this: pull the trigger and the gun goes boom.

They should be very unsteady when standing, I doubt anyone can hold a 30 pound, 5 foot long gun with any kind of steadiness in standing or kneeling positions.

I hope you weren't talking about "normal" sniper rifles...

How about no? It's like this: pull the trigger and the gun goes boom.

They should be very unsteady when standing, I doubt anyone can hold a 30 pound, 5 foot long gun with any kind of steadiness in standing or kneeling positions.

I hope you weren't talking about "normal" sniper rifles...

Meant to say fire a sniper accurately. Seems like I've seen a few videos where someone gets run up on, they spin around, fire the sniper while standing without looking down the scope, and the bullet goes right where the crosshair is/would be. Are they really that accurate? (I haven't picked up any snipers so I don't know for sure). And no idea what you mean by "'normal' snipers"

Edited by BlueNinja6

quit being a bitch and learn to play. i almost never get killed by sniper rifles because i dont make stupid decisions. i am aware of where a sniper would want to post up and i avoid that area. i keep my head on a swivel and i utilize cover. thats litteraly all you need to do. its not fucken hard. and other guns are just as powerfull. just learn to aim.

• Like 2

Meant to say fire a sniper accurately. Seems like I've seen a few videos where someone gets run up on, they spin around, fire the sniper while standing without looking down the scope, and the bullet goes right where the crosshair is/would be. Are they really that accurate? (I haven't picked up any snipers so I don't know for sure).

Okay, I assumed you meant "impossible to fire the gun". No-scoping is a problem with crosshairs enabled, but the same is true of all guns. Removing the crosshair would benefit gameplay and add a new dimension to choosing a weapon.

And no idea what you mean by "'normal' snipers"

Non-50s.

quit being a bitch and learn to play. i almost never get killed by sniper rifles because i dont make stupid decisions. i am aware of where a sniper would want to post up and i avoid that area. i keep my head on a swivel and i utilize cover. thats litteraly all you need to do. its not fucken hard. and other guns are just as powerfull. just learn to aim.

Harsh but so true.