mattlightfoot

DayZ Double Developer Blog 14th May 2013

*manhugz*

I think the point at which the devs will have to really up their communication skills and deliver on promises is when the alpha is released and they're dealing with paying customers that are not just emotionally invested in the game but have spent their cold-hard cash.

I'm following the development of quite a few promising games in the alpha/beta stages at the moment (KSP, Prison Architect, Don't Starve and so on...) and some do this better than others. There's one game that has a really good system for delivering information to the player without requiring them to follow blogs or multiple forums. When you launch the game you first get a small menu/newsfeed screen (before the actual game launches fully). On that initial screen is some info about the latest update/patch and the expected date of the next patch along with any other relevent news that is useful to the player regarding recent bugs/fixes etc. You then click "launch game" on that menu and you're in.

It's not a ton of info, but it's really handy and keeps all of the players in touch with the important news. A launch menu like this for DayZSA could solve a lot of issue and keep players in touch every time they launch the game.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

It's given people the impression that they're un-organised and led others to doubt other things he says which is a shame.

I don't have any doubts that they're un-organised.

It's such a shame seeing the community slowly lose interest because for some reason, BIS think they can still have the same success if they lie and neglect their potential customers.

As much as Rocket can say "it'll be ready when it's ready", they're a business and they're losing customers.

BIS think they can still have the same success if they lie and neglect their potential customers.

lolwut?

A business that seems to care about the quality of the product more than the money, and that pisses people off. Gamers really are the worst kind of people.

• Like 12

A business that seems to care about the quality of the product more than the money, and that pisses people off. Gamers really are the worst kind of people.

I think being involved in any kind of retail is a nightmare but gamers are famously hard to please. Everyone's an expert.

• Like 2

It's just so weird because no one cries at Peter Jackson and screams "Finish Bilbo you idiot, you are losing customers!!!!".

EDIT: Or The Hobbit as it is, you know, actually called. :P

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 2

I don't have any doubts that they're un-organised.

It's such a shame seeing the community slowly lose interest because for some reason, BIS think they can still have the same success if they lie and neglect their potential customers.

As much as Rocket can say "it'll be ready when it's ready", they're a business and they're losing customers.

I could understand losing interest if DayZ already have been under development for 5-10 years. Only people with adhd could lose interest on something very good and big in a year. I would understand this if there's someone competing with DayZ but now it seems there isn't. If devs listen those "I want it naaaoooww!!11" people it would hurt the real customers and image of the company and that's not good in long term for companies like Bohemia.

• Like 1

..have also lost interest in GTA V...fuck the billions of features..it simply took to long...

• Like 4

lolwut?

I didn't realise you'd have trouble understanding that concept, there was me thinking it was sensible to suggest that when a company says one thing and does another that it's not going to be considered the best business model.

I can't judge if the company cares more about the product quality than the profit as there currently is no product. As I've heard rumours that the game on release will be missing certain parts, such as vehicles which is a rather large part of the game... it would seem as though they are in fact releasing a game which isn't finished and yet will still carry the price tag.

But then I'm sure those that are keen to defend this group of developers will spout that patience is needed.

I didn't realise you'd have trouble understanding that concept, there was me thinking it was sensible to suggest that when a company says one thing and does another that it's not going to be considered the best business model.

I can't judge if the company cares more about the product quality than the profit as there currently is no product. As I've heard rumours that the game on release will be missing certain parts, such as vehicles which is a rather large part of the game... it would seem as though they are in fact releasing a game which isn't finished and yet will still carry the price tag.

But then I'm sure those that are keen to defend this group of developers will spout that patience is needed.

You seem to have missed the whole concept of releasing a game in alpha development with a price that reflects that. Well done you.

• Like 9

I doubt anyone in dayz dev team or BI are that worried, rocket for example would be quite keen for only a limited number of people playing at the start (he has said this a few times, prob with a limited release of alpha). If the game is good, people will play it no matter when it realised, the people who are saying lost interest in the game, taking too long etc.. Most of these people will buy the game after they have seen reviews and comments about it, they may wait to its goes out of alpha. Does it effect sales, not really, you make a superb game people will buy it. Make it a s*it game and people will not buy it, then we can overload the forums with negativity ;-).

Oh yeah small note amazing how many people who don`t care about the game still read the forums and post innit!!

The points people have made about the dev blogs, I think they do have a case, I just think they are so busy working on the game they don`t get chance to put a good blog together each week. Matt and rocket have both said they work early hours to get each dev blog done, heck rocket did one halfway up Everest and people still not happy ;-). I do think he regrets saying weekly blog thou, I bet he didn`t realise how much time it takes to do each one but were near June so fingers crossed etc...

Oh yeah don`t start watching the walking dead, I started watching it to get a zombie fix and makes me crave the bloody game even more SIGH

here we go again.... :D :D:D..every f*** devblog thread again and again...it is tiring... so i bought myself a sheep. if i have nothing else to do i go outside into my garden and watch it browsing my lawn...can't wait to eat that bastard.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 4

Gamers really are a special bunch. You can tell those who complain about "stupidly unprofessional" devblog videos are the kind of people who are never happy with anything anyway.

• Like 4

Spot the Rhinocrunch subscriber.

Yup.

• Like 4

Yup.

"rhino crunch subs" should definitely now be the word we use for these people

• Like 3

..have also lost interest in GTA V...fuck the billions of features..it simply took to long...

I love your sarcasm.

• Like 2

I love your sarcasm.

i am so thick that i did not recognize this...

i thought he was being serious :facepalm:

• Like 1

@Chris

You know what helps me if i catch myself getting annoyed about such stuff? I try to see behind scenes? what does it mean to do a game? what does it mean to build a mmo-stable-architecture..especially if it has to be bulletproof? what kind of developer is this and what are they known/famous/infamous for? How many guys are involved? why is this community behaving in that way? how heavy is the community involved even in decisions/game content? sales and marketing? think about all that and maybe you will learn that this - at this very moment - is complaining on a fairly high level.

but eventually BIS will have to show what they've done so far ;)

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

At no point have I said "release it now".

I'm simply stating my opinion, that the way they've handled this development period is poor.

You don't find large games such as COD being put back months and months because they changed their minds on certain aspects of the game, it's planned out and they don't frustrate the community by posting one thing and doing another.

I'm also not a rhinocrunch subscriber.

COD also didn't begin as a small hobby project by a single person on a niche military simulator.

I'm simply stating my opinion, that the way they've handled this development period is poor.

You don't find large games such as COD being put back months and months because they changed their minds on certain aspects of the game, it's planned out and they don't frustrate the community by posting one thing and doing another.

but you also find large games put back...it always depends on the developer or rather the publisher. many games have been rushed to be released as completely unfinished and dull not living up to the hype. and then there are some who delay games half a year because the want it to be perfect. think about that way.

Financially and ideologically DayZ has been a complete disaster from day one, if you don't take incredible sales and critical appraisal into consideration.

• Like 5

COD uses the same engine, resources, codes and game mechanics since part 2 (released in 2005).So it is not really difficult to pump out a new game every year just in time....same goes for games like Fifa etc...

• Like 2