DontTrustPubs

DayZ Standalone, Freelook, Third Person

I'm suggesting that DayZ remove Free Look from Third Person View. I also suggest that camera adjustments while in third person become limited/restricted.

Edited by DontTrustPubs
  • Like 3

Could you please explain why you think so?

Could you please explain why you think so?

Most likely because third person view is easily exploited to peak around and over cover.

I feel this change is required due to the game breaking imbalances third person can present in it's current form. It gives players the ability to see in places they otherwise wouldn't/shouldn't be able to. This in affect imbalances weapons, map design, but most importantly game play. This occurs frequently during game play, such as peeking corners or laying prone while on a high point.

One possible solution would be to zoom the camera into first person the closer a player got near an object; Combined with the locking/limiting of camera angles. However I believe there may be some serious coding involved with the zoom into first person portion of that.

Edited by DontTrustPubs
  • Like 5

cheapass free looking is an innate part of the game. I would be very disappointed if it didnt make an appearance in SA.

• Like 1

cheapass free looking is an innate part of the game. I would be very disappointed if it didnt make an appearance in SA.

indeed.

There's no doubt the SA will have "FPV only" servers, just like the mod.

That's not to say I support the use of "cover peeking" exploits, just that the choice to avoid them entirely is already there.

With the new SA inventory screen (which now shows your own character when you view your gear :thumbsup:) I'd be quite happy playing the game in 1st person. Many wouldn't.

There are a lot of other potential solutions to this "issue". You're a bit late to the party for discussing fixes.

Search Bar, maybe?

P.S.

Not to put too fine a point on it, weapons, map design and gameplay were clearly never intended to be balanced. So you can't base your reasoning on that. :P

• Like 1

let's just force this into a first person only game and call it day eh?

• Like 1

There's no doubt the SA will have "FPV only" servers, just like the mod.

That's not to say I support the use of "cover peeking" exploits, just that the choice to avoid them entirely is already there.

With the new SA inventory screen (which now shows your own character when you view your gear :thumbsup:) I'd be quite happy playing the game in 1st person. Many wouldn't.

There are a lot of other potential solutions to this "issue". You're a bit late to the party for discussing fixes.

Search Bar, maybe?

P.S.

Not to put too fine a point on it, weapons, map design and gameplay were clearly never intended to be balanced. So you can't base your reasoning on that. :P

You are poorly informed if you think no thought has been put into game play and balance in regards to DayZ, that statement is ludicrous. Balance is defiantly not perfect but it does exist, hence this discussion. Further more it is never too late to discuss suggestions in the suggestion forum or it simply wouldn't exist, now would it?

No one is suggesting the removal of Third Person in this thread, just fixing the exploits present within the system in order provide a better game play experience. I do realize that some find the exploits to be a part of the game and fun. I will not debate against those individuals because their logic is obviously flawed.

Edited by DontTrustPubs

I'd normally say "find an expert server where it's locked to first person" but there's only one I can find on DayZ Commander and nobody ever plays on it. So yes! Restrict third person view.

• Like 1

Try not to be offended that I doubt your knowledge on the subject, but if you seriously believe balance has any place in DayZ, you're sorely mistaken.

It's about preperation, risk and opportunity. Taking every advantage you can find, and finding advantage where none is apparent.

Balance is not welcome.

Every feature is thought out, of course, but at no time was the intention to balance gameplay. It was intended to be an accurate(ish) representation of survival, based on Arma2, which was intended to be an accurate(ish) representation of combat.

3dp view was included to add some sense of self-awareness to ArmA, being that FPV view is more restrictive than a realistic FoV would be and you have no other senses with which to judge your surroundings.

Go hassle the boss at BI about that.

Again, use the search bar. I said you're late, not too late. This isn't a new suggestion. Or even a new opinion on the subject.

If you're going to attempt to inform me of the intended purpose of the suggestions forum, have the decency to abide by the guidelines. ;)

If you seriously believe everyone who doesn't share your oinion has "flawed logic", your pathetic closed-mindedness will fit right in here.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 5

That pretty much makes it so every person in DayZ will have fixed heads and cannot swivel them around, unlike normal humans.

Try not to be offended that I doubt your knowledge on the subject, but if you seriously believe balance has any place in DayZ, you're sorely mistaken.

It's about preperation, risk and opportunity. Taking every advantage you can find, and finding advantage where none is apparent.

Balance is not welcome.

Every feature is thought out, of course, but at no time was the intention to balance gameplay. It was intended to be an accurate(ish) representation of survival, based on Arma2, which was intended to be an accurate(ish) representation of combat.

3dp view was included to add some sense of self-awareness to ArmA, being that FPV view is more restrictive than a realistic FoV would be and you have no other senses with which to judge your surroundings.

Go hassle the boss at BI about that.

Again, use the search bar. I said you're late, not too late. This isn't a new suggestion. Or even a new opinion on the subject.

If you're going to attempt to inform me of the intended purpose of the suggestions forum, have the decency to abide by the guidelines. ;)

If you seriously believe everyone who doesn't share your oinion has "flawed logic", your pathetic closed-mindedness will fit right in here.

Welcome to the forum.

Administration of the forums is handled by the forum mods not someone such as yourself lol. With that said if the forum mods want to merge this topic they certainly can and will.

Balance is not welcome? Balance exists within the game mechanics and itemization, even if its subtle. This isn't so much of a balance issue as it is unintended game play

I never said anyone who didn't share my opinion, just those who think unintended game play exploits are sound game design. This is not ARMA and DayZ is a sandbox, it is what ever you want it to be; with the core element being survival. For further clarification since you need it, I said "it's never too late" as in It's not late at all. Try to not pull words out of context because it is a waste of time and makes no sense.

Based on all that alone, I am definitely abiding by the guidelines with a few posts far better then yourself with many.

That pretty much makes it so every person in DayZ will have fixed heads and cannot swivel them around, unlike normal humans.

That is incorrect,The discussion is regarding Third Person. That would only apply if you were to restrict/limit/remove free look while in first person. Free look is not an issue with first person because it doesn't allow the player to bypass game mechanics

Awh! You're so cute when you stamp your little feet! ^_^

FYI, There's a stickied topic at the top of the thread entitled : "Please read BEFORE posting" which seems to have slipped right by you.

Show some respect for the Admins and Mods. Make a little effort to play by the rules.

If you just want to carry on trying to insult me, take another hour or two to type up a response.

EDIT:

I decided to take a moment to clear a couple of things up.

"Balance" in DayZ is an occurence, NOT a design element. The playing field is NOT level. This is done intentionally.

"3dp freelook" in and of itself, is NOT a tool to "bypass game mechanics" as you put it. It's an intentional, purpose serving, gameplay feature, which just so happens (in many circumstances) to be less suited to this style of game.

You have the choice to play without the chance of anyone in your sever using 3dp against you expoitatively. Play on a 3dp-disabled server.

Edited by Chabowski

That is incorrect,The discussion is regarding Third Person. That would only apply if you were to restrict/limit/remove free look while in first person. Free look is not an issue with first person because it doesn't allow the player to bypass game mechanics

I'm suggesting that DayZ remove Free Look from Third Person View. I also suggest that camera adjustments while in third person become limited/restricted.

Are you kidding me?

Hello there

As has been said 3rd person viewing exploitation *is* a known issue and is being looked into for the SA.

There have been many long threads about it, but admittedly not for a while AFAIK.

Discuss and argue, but get personal and I'll hand out infractions.

Rgds

LoK

If rocket turned around and said the SA is to be first person only I wouldn't be upset about it. However I don't think this will happen but hopefully there is some work done on 3rd person viewing as the ability to see over walls does whiff of the ole BS.

• Like 1

The core aspect of DayZ is survival and the ability for a new player to survive or kill an experienced player is a level playing field. Although itemization and experience can change this. Progression within DayZ takes place through itemization and survival. If you listen to Rocket, he says that they put tools into the game for players to use. toolboxes, flares, entrenching tools, nvgs, binos, these tools do provide a form of balance through game play. Third person view and free look in DayZ is that it trivializes game mechanics such as stealth, cover, etc all important elements to DayZ. these can be kept intact while still providing a third person view option with some changes.

I would be ok with in being first person only since I feel the game is more balanced that way. I do enjoy third person as well though. In the end there always lies the hardcore servers with 1st person as an option and I'm grateful for that. This should become more popular with stand alone fixes as well.

Edited by DontTrustPubs

I'm happy if they just remove crosshair from third person.

I agree, I've suggested this myself a few times in 'remove third-person' topics. If you want to play in third-person, fine, but you shouldn't be able to look around corners or over walls, lol.

• Like 1

err...

I get why some of you dislike it and I've had a blast playing on a hardcore server before but I've also seen some terrible "solutions" to the third person 'exploits' (the only actual exploits I see are the ones that glitch teh camera through buildings to see through them) almost entirely suck. They don't suck because they limit the use of third person, they suck because its usually some shitty camera zoom that causes disorientation when another player walks behind you or suck because your character ends up taking up the entire freaking screen.

Many big powerhouse big money cash machine developers have attempted to solve this problem for the whiners. They always fail. Being an old school third person shooter fan, I can assure you none of the solutions I've ever seen have worked. Breaking DayZ with some shitty camera or OTS view will piss off fans faster than a pay to win model (well.. maybe not, but close). Third person view is part of what makes DayZ what it is. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Just adjust the distance of the camera from the player based on stance.

I feel this change is required due to the game breaking imbalances third person can present in it's current form. It gives players the ability to see in places they otherwise wouldn't/shouldn't be able to. This in affect imbalances weapons, map design, but most importantly game play. This occurs frequently during game play, such as peeking corners or laying prone while on a high point.

One possible solution would be to zoom the camera into first person the closer a player got near an object; Combined with the locking/limiting of camera angles. However I believe there may be some serious coding involved with the zoom into first person portion of that.

Remove free look...eh how about just remove 3rd person view althogether and eliminate the exploit/cheat once and for all.

Remove free look...eh how about just remove 3rd person view althogether and eliminate the exploit/cheat once and for all.

exploiting something that everyone has access to and can use at any point. I would not play DayZ in first person, I can't run in first person even with head bob and FoV up it still makes me ill.