TheMachine

Why DayZ will fail as a standalone game

Hello there

I think you are overinvesting in the game. I too hope its a good 'un. And from what we know it will be. There is always that chance though.

There's no way he could(or should) cancel an experience of a lifetime for us guys and girls. Yes, there is a lack of communication on a level many of us want but that does not mean things are not happening. Im privvy to very little info but can assure you stuff is moving both on the SA and the Mod.

Your other issues can be sorted, I too lament the advent of servers that hand everything out to one, i dont "get it" but each to their own, there are good whitelisted servers out there.

As to folk losing interest? Sod em.The games being made regardless of fair weather fanbois/streamers/tubers (thats not aimed at you) hitch along for the ride or not.

As to the xmas thing, well thats been covered umpteen times.

If I were you I'd try to focus on a different game/hobby (as this is obviously affecting/frustrating you) and just keep half an ear out for updates and news, that way you'll be happily surprised when things do start to move along. I mean this all in the nicest way possible and not in a typical "internet£ sarcasm way.

There's nothing any of us can do to push the game along faster. If there were Im sure we'd both be working on it :)

Rgds

LoK

PS a tidbit for you. Today i was killed outside of Cherno by a horde of infected in DAYZ......in Arma3.....

Need link to DayZ ARMA 3 port xD

Hello there

Suffice to say I used no magic or anything out of the bounds of mere users. *and* (perhaps disappointingly for you) not MP

What my experiment shows is that there indeed (AFAIK) is a possible way forward for the Mod, *if* they so choose, with the "new" engine. That's up to them.

My way is flawed and buggy but workable but I'm sure they're way ahead of me if thats a branch they are going to explore.

I have to reiterate it is a bodge and wont be released. I just like to fiddle. No PM's please.

Hope I didnt get your hope up too much!

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
  • Like 1

Please think again. thank god all the dayZ community isn't like this. To true players the value of game will not be lost no matter how long we have to wait for SA. I don't think anyone knows what a giant game this is. Also climbing mt Everest has been a dream of his for a long time. while dean is in mt Everest. work is still being done at a fast rate while he is climbing mt Everest. Also he is making the to what likes in a game.

But good work for a popular topic

OrLoK Say's: Don't insult folk on the forums. If you do you will receive infractions. I edited your post accordingly

Edited by orlok

Your point is pretty invalid - I agree the release date is a bit of a stretch but I'd rather have the game good than just releasing it right? However, getting to the point DayZ won't "fail" considering we know what to expect in the game as everyone of us on this forum has played the game at least once. Therefore, people won't rage quit and never play the game again because of stupid things like loading times? c'mon, sounds as if you were rage quitting as you typed that.

Think of the million people that have played the Alpha and loved it. I don't think they would just stop playing because of loading times? It doesn't even take that long to load in. If you complain about it, go play a different game. If you think the loading times are long, run from Cherno to Stari or NWAirfield - that's pretty much the same thing... Please don't complain about a game before it has even been released and claim it will fail because everyone will "Rage Quit".

Hahahahaha orLoK kisses for you. mwa

I'm joking sorry i wont go over bored next time some says rockets name in vain

some threads take on a life of their own. its not yet time to *nom*

some threads take on a life of their own. its not yet time to *nom*

Ok Orlok.... How many beans need to be given this time?

• Like 1

I think it's funny some of the main gripes of the mod (hacking, zombie animations & AI) you point out as being a waste of time or not really features. I'm glad this is what they are working on as knowing how to lose the zombies by running into a building and then getting aimbot killed on the way out, ported to thunderdome or killed by a flying chicken is what was ruining the game for me at least and why I stopped playing. They are only working towards alpha release anyways. Plus, didnt Rocket say that the majority of the work going on right now is the recoding for the server/client model for anti-hack so his leadership isn't really needed right now (oh and by the way if I had a chance to climb Everest and it was one of my dreams you better believe I'd go). I'd be more alarmed if by December of this year it's still not out or the alpha is out and there is no road map.... Which reminds me of something. Having played WarZ from launch (it actually was fun for a few months for me at least) Rocket should absolutely kept his mouth shut about upcoming features. Anything he says mysteriously ends up as a poorly implemented feature in WarZ.

The people that play DayZ are patient, we're willing to wait for servers to load, we learn to live with bugs and we accept the fact that we're going to die sooner rather than later.

But, the general COD, counter strike crowd are NOT patient and that, along with some other stuff is why DayZ will fail.

1. No one is going to spend 2-3 minutes loading into servers, which judging by the length of time the mod has been out and the fact this still hasn't been fixed will be a problem in the SA too.

2. I don't believe people will continue to play DayZ long after they buy it, because they'll rage quit.

3. Rocket doesn't seem to really understand what players actually want. Remember how he'd spent weeks working on irrelevant features no one asked for or really wanted (dogs) and how he refused to remove certain textures even though they were turning the map into a surrealistic modern art piece with the artefacts?

Refusing to remove high powered sniper rifles despite the hacking and duping?

Yeah, that's Rocket, as good and as novel as DayZ is, he just doesn't fully 'get' his own creation.

I mean for crying out loud, they're doing Motion Capture for zombie movement when they should be looking into a system that lets people build structures.

4. They've missed their window, simple as that.

Had they released DayZ 6 months ago when the buzz was at it's height then we might have had a winner on our hands.

Unfortunately the project has lost focus, time and direction.

Hell, Rocket just went off for a two month holiday when he's the lead developer of a game, incredibly irresponsible on his part and a big fuck you to the people who're waiting for the game.

In any other industry that'd get you fired.

I want to see DayZ succeed, but I just don't think it can anymore.

The silver lining is that the mod is going in fantastic new directions with all the different forks of the original people are making.

1. Are you kidding? Many offline games take that long to load. Is this the only video game you played ever? Go to Steam, download any of the free MMORPG's there, and see what the loading time of a tripple A MMO is.

2. Umm, no they wont. People rage, get over it, and log back in.

3. We have no clue what features are being worked on. We get a rumor hear, a rumor there, but for the most part, we are seeing a media black out on par with The Dark Knight Rises. The only annoying thing I can see is the emphasis on "realism".

4. If anything, the delay has helped DayZ. It gives people enough time to get the bad taste of War Z out of their mouth. Plus, do you have any idea how long it takes to make a video game? And how many people work on it? Rocket is not sitting at a desk grinding out f'n code?

In short, you have no clue how this industry works from any standpoint.

• Like 3

The people that play DayZ are patient, we're willing to wait for servers to load, we learn to live with bugs and we accept the fact that we're going to die sooner rather than later.

But, the general COD, counter strike crowd are NOT patient and that, along with some other stuff is why DayZ will fail.

1. No one is going to spend 2-3 minutes loading into servers, which judging by the length of time the mod has been out and the fact this still hasn't been fixed will be a problem in the SA too.

2. I don't believe people will continue to play DayZ long after they buy it, because they'll rage quit.

3. Rocket doesn't seem to really understand what players actually want. Remember how he'd spent weeks working on irrelevant features no one asked for or really wanted (dogs) and how he refused to remove certain textures even though they were turning the map into a surrealistic modern art piece with the artefacts?

Refusing to remove high powered sniper rifles despite the hacking and duping?

Yeah, that's Rocket, as good and as novel as DayZ is, he just doesn't fully 'get' his own creation.

I mean for crying out loud, they're doing Motion Capture for zombie movement when they should be looking into a system that lets people build structures.

4. They've missed their window, simple as that.

Had they released DayZ 6 months ago when the buzz was at it's height then we might have had a winner on our hands.

Unfortunately the project has lost focus, time and direction.

Hell, Rocket just went off for a two month holiday when he's the lead developer of a game, incredibly irresponsible on his part and a big fuck you to the people who're waiting for the game.

In any other industry that'd get you fired.

I want to see DayZ succeed, but I just don't think it can anymore.

The silver lining is that the mod is going in fantastic new directions with all the different forks of the original people are making.

1. I'm sure SA will have improved loading times.

2. Why would people buy a game, to soon after leave it. Forever?

3. The DayZ developers aren't only working on the animations through-out all of this time, they are working on other items too. A game needs animations, not just floating models.

4. DayZ hasn't been released yet because Rocket want it to be perfect. He doesn't want it to be an 2 month game made with no effort. He want it to last long, not just get boring after a few weeks.

Edited by DayzForumer

Wait a minute... How does "remove high-powered rifles" regulate hacking and duping?

They come out with a new Battlefield or Call of Duty like every year. And killing zombies never goes out of style. I'm sure DayZ 2.0 AKA the Stand Alone will have as much of an audience in 3-18 months.

They come out with a new Battlefield or Call of Duty like every year. And killing zombies never goes out of style. I'm sure DayZ 2.0 AKA the Stand Alone will have as much of an audience in 3-18 months.

I'll be one of them :)

I think when someone has the guts to climb to the highest heights in insane climate conditions at some personal risk would suggest that the game is indeed in safe hands with the maximum effort going in to turn it into something we will want to purchase. At the very least beans are back!

You have some valid opinions OP. However keep in mind that they are working hard on the server architecture to prevent hacking. Protecting the integrity of your product is paramount, especially when dealing with a permadeath/full loot system. Which is something they seem to recognize. It's certainly not impossible, WoW, Dota 2, and many other games remain hack free.

The whole point for me is that it's way too early to see if it will reach that potential or not.

The reason I highlighted the fact that the OP made a post saying he feels it's ok to hack because the game is too frustrating for him is because maybe the game isn't aimed at people like him and he'll never like it whatever they do. It's a niche game that appeals to a very specific type of gamer, it's never going to please the masses.

If you can't tell the thread I made about hacking was satirical (it was beyond ridiculous the stuff I posted on that account) then good God man, welcome to the internet.

I hope this thread is satirical too...

I hope this thread is satirical too...

No, it's not, I really believe DayZ has missed it's window and from what I've read the development is going in the wrong direction(focus on textures, 'lore' and not gameplay).

I don't doubt it'll be a moderate success, but not the breakthrough game it could have been.

The threads I made on the other account were an example of the mindset of the hacker, brought to public light for all to see.

It was part satire, part truth, but since all satire is just something taken to it's logical extreme it worked pretty well.

In fact, it wasn't even that extreme, you've got to understand the mindset of these idiots that hack, it's a whole subculture of weakness that exemplifies everything wrong with not only gaming but humanity in general.

Edited by TheMachine

It'd be nice to see some rebuttal to the responses you received in regards to the OP...or at least a justification for this point:

ut, the general COD, counter strike crowd are NOT patient and that, along with some other stuff is why DayZ will fail.

That one kind of stumped me.

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 1

I don't doubt it'll be a moderate success, but not the breakthrough game it could have been.

Sorry if i am wrong, but isn't moderate success and fail different.

OP,

How *dare* you to delay the execution of Inception's bidding!

Comply with his command IMMEDIATELY or beware of the dire consequences!!

You have been warned!!!

_Anubis_

p.s. some people seem to confuse an internet forum with a nazi concentration camp

• Like 1