Sign in to follow this  
mattt*

Less military stuffs

To my mind it would be good to delete most of military stuffs. Indeed, if players wanna play army-like, they have Arma 2 or 3 for this. In a zombie apocalypse scenario, who would be able to pilot a chopper ? Who would be able to get some military snipers as the as 50, moreover in Chernarus Russia ? Almost nobody !

I think that the only weapons which should be available are :

CZ550

Mosin-Nagant (any variant)

Winchester

Double-barred shotgun

AK variants

Uzi

SA58

Tokarev TT33

Nagant M1895

SVT-40

Well mostly WW2 weapons which are still common in EAST Europe countries. Also, no more rangefinder or NVG. For exemple, to replace NVG, headlamps would be awesome. Well i'm waiting for a realistic zombie apocalyspe game and not a disguised FPS as the mod is atm. It's really boring to be 1 shot killed from 400 meters without having a chance to survive. In such a scenario (epidemia apocalypse or economic revolution etc...) someone who has a mosin would be really well armed and have a big advantage. Atm in Dayz, someone with a lee enfield is like a bambi...

Edited by mattt*
  • Like 7

I agree completely. I'm hoping that the standalone is heading in this kind of direction. Headlamps have already been added.

Don't forget the beloved PKM, PSLs and SVDs!

• Like 1

If a zombie attack did happen I would find a huey asap, and you probably find military weapons at a gun store :D

Don't forget the beloved PKM, PSLs and SVDs!

Oops, I just realized PKMs and SVDs are about as military as you can get... but they fit! By Jingo, they fit!

I live in the middle of nowhere but if the guards, military, and police where gone i could have the guns to supply a small army within an hour

I disagree that ANY weapon should be removed but spawn rates should be changed MASSIVELY

its stupid that in the mouth and a half of playing dayz i found 3 50. cal's but no LMG's

50. col should be in the but should be one of if not the rarest guns in the game (am i mean you only come across some one USING 1 every 3 to 4 mouths)

• Like 1

Drop rates of all weapons (or bullets) should be reduced MASSIVELY. (cept maybe the makarov, lee enfield, revolver, M1911 and winchester) Guns like the AS50 should be so rare that maybe 1-10 will spawn on a server within a month. Or leave the drop rate as is - and just reduce the bullets avaliable on servers.

Edited by Talibambi

who would be able to pilot a chooper ?

Who's to say you couldn't learn? Albeit it's more difficult to learn as I understand it, but it is possible.

Though I see where you are coming from, removing them completely does not really make sense. If this were the case we would probably see a removal of all military bases as well. For where there are military bases, there is military issue gear is there not?

I do not like seeing multiple people's with AS50's but I also do not like the idea of "no rare high powered guns or items" it's just such a neat feature, increasing the rarity of these weapons (and possibily vehicles) is a more likely solution.

Edited by BMRX
  • Like 1

If a zombie attack did happen I would find a huey asap, and you probably find military weapons at a gun store :D

are you kidding? gun stores selling M4s and anti material rifles in the post sovietic chernarrussia? seriously?

Edited by lipemr

Who's to say you couldn't learn? Albeit it's more difficult to learn as I understand it, but it is possible.

I think it should be more of an "event" to get in a helicopter. Right now there's not much sense of the size, power and complexity of the machine, you just hop in and fly it around like it's an arcade game. It takes off almost immediately, too. It's better in first-person, but not too much.

These are some examples of what I think is missing...

Ideally I'd like it to be a bit more complex... that is, if they include helicopters... and if they include military helicopters there's no logical reason they shouldn't include other military vehicles, which opens up a whole can of worms...

Oops, going off-topic.

I also do not like the idea of "no rare high powered guns or items" it's just such a neat feature, increasing the rarity of these weapons (and possibily vehicles) is a more likely solution.

High-powered guns are fine as long as they are plausible... I don't think the AS50s or M107s are plausible. If this was a war game with light armour, then maybe, but no one needs them for humans or zombies. However I do like the ability to snipe people at very long ranges, so if they decide to include a long-range rifle I hope it's either a .338 or a .300 WM or any similar caliber.

One of the things many games do is introduce a plethora of random guns from around the world, usually picked for their "cool factor". They aren't even plausible choices or have an explanation for being found in the game world...

Raging Judge in Black Ops 2? Or Desert Eagles in oh-so-many war games? Okay, these guns are cool, but they make no sense. That's fine, because those are casual games.

In ArmA the weapons lists do try to make sense (well, not ArmA III, heh). You don't have random guns or vehicles added in for cool factor. If it's US vs Takistan, you have US weapons and vehicles and Takistani weapons and vehicles and precious little else. They don't put in a golden Desert Eagle or an AEK-971 for bling or awesomeness (maybe a golden revolver and AK, but Middle Eastern commanders have a penchant for gaudy shit like that).

In my ideal DayZ the weapons list would reflect what you might find in a country similar to Chernarus. Lots of Russian guns, maybe more than a few Western guns too depending on the backstory, but no survivors toting .500 Smith & Wessons (nudge nudge LancerG2 ;) ), AA-12 automatic shotguns or very special .50 caliber anti-material rifles (I can't seem to find a picture or report of an AS50 being used in combat anywhere).

I think a major problem many people have is that the lower-powered weaponry just isn't as fun to use. Fire a Makarov in DayZ and it goes "pop" and doesn't do any real damage. In real life you can feel the blast, the gun recoils in your hand, it's extremely loud, there's a bunch of sensations that are completely missing in the game, especially with the lame default gun sounds. They need to work on that. Maybe if they make the "lower tech" weapons feel badass, people wouldn't have as much desire for the "higher tech" guns.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 5

What I would like to see is a firearm that uses the .357 magnum cartridge. It would be incredibly loud but have quite a bit of stopping power. Perhaps even a one-hit kill if you shoot in the right spot. Of course a major disadvantage is that the gun only holds 6 shots.

Also, if we're going to have bears and other dangerous animals roaming the map, we're going to need powerful guns. Smaller bears can be killed with a .357 round but larger bears require more "heat". That is where powerful hunting rifles and shotguns come in.

As for military grade weapons: I'd be okay with seeing a standard M4 or M16 lying around. This would make sense as the US was involved in Chernarus prior to the outbreak.

What I would like to see is a firearm that uses the .357 magnum cartridge. It would be incredibly loud but have quite a bit of stopping power. Perhaps even a one-hit kill if you shoot in the right spot. Of course a major disadvantage is that the gun only holds 6 shots.

Zastava makes them, CZ makes them, Rossi and Manhurin make them, I can see a .357 appearing. Wouldn't be as common as the 9x18s and 9x19s.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 1

You should try Dayz 2017, the best guns that can be found are the rusty m4 and rusty m16a2, both of which only have 15 round magazines.

My biggest fear for this amazing game idea is that it will be reduced to another counter strike like shooter. Spawn, run like hell, find gun,kill some one, get killed by someone all within 15 minutes,

repeat ad nauseum.

• Like 1

I think it's a matter of avaliability.

If you have a fortified military base, with 100 zombies and one helicopter in it and it takes you a month of teamwork to get it running, it's a lot different from servers where you start with 5 already spawned, fully repaired helis ready to take off, with 2 m240s with 100 rounds each...

I hope that the customization in standalone, as well as item degradation, energy-consumption, etc. will balance out everything.

Even if you manage to get your hands on one of the few remaining NVGs, you'd have to have working batteries, a station to reload those batteries and access to Electricity. You'd have to take care that no direct light hits it, or it would destroy the light-sensor. It would be a bitch to keep that thing working, but if you managed to do so, you should get the advantage it provides.

I really apreciate that rocket decided not to put vehicles into the initial release and to focus on simple items at first, to get back to the survivor-feeling many of us miss. But I have no problem with good gear, as long as it doesn't spawn everywhere and only gives more advantages, but no disadvantages.

I sincerely hope, that the disadvantages of using certain tools will have an effect in the game. People should use their common sense to get around.

At the moment, you have a worst and a best item and you start to have the best item of everything. In reality, there is no "best item", as it only depends on what you want to achieve. There are reasons why soldiers have small and large backpacks and don't run around with the biggest they have all the time. There is a reason, why they developed shorter and longer rifles. And there is a reason why soldiers don't run around with 5 boxes of 200 Rounds each in their backpack.

If all those disadvantages of having those items come into the game, It will balance out more than just taking out weapons. the history has shown us that "unlock all weapons" is the most popular addition on private servers. Taking away the need to use those weapons because the disadvantages overweigh, is a more natural way to limit that. Imho.

Edited by liquidmind
  • Like 2

My biggest fear for this amazing game idea is that it will be reduced to another counter strike like shooter. Spawn, run like hell, find gun,kill some one, get killed by someone all within 15 minutes,

repeat ad nauseum.

Well it's almost like this in the mod right now. If you fresh spawn on a server with more than 10 players, you have high chances to die before getting away from Cherno/Elektro...

repeat ad nauseum.

According to Rocket at PAX this will not happen.

He said theres gonna be next to no guns in the alpha release, mainly melee weapons and such, they are even looking into punching aswell :)

So dont worry, guns and especially bullets are gonna be extremly rare and chances are you wont find it for a long time after launch.

CZ550

Mosin-Nagant (any variant)

Winchester

Double-barred shotgun

AK variants

Uzi

SA58

Tokarev TT33

Nagant M1895

SVT-40

Well....first i want to say that all those weapons were in military service at least once so your title is kind of a contradiction...the exception would be the double barrel which i can't tell if it was officially issued to troops long before our time. It would even filter out civilian versions of military weapons which they were modeled after which leaves us with a small variety. But i get your point and i want the same as you do.

Edited by Enforcer

Well....first i want to say that all those weapons were in military service at least once so your title is kind of a contradiction...the exception would be the double barrel which i can't tell if it was officially issued to troops long before our time.

I believe the Russians had a double barrel that was used in WWII, I may be wrong though.

I believe the Russians had a double barrel that was used in WWII, I may be wrong though.

I know the Germans used a few double-barreled shotguns with special made explosive rounds... I believe the shell was designed for issue to the Volkssturm in the late stages of the war, I think the shotguns were just whatever they had lying around but I could be wrong.

Can't remember the details... hmm.

Though I see where you are coming from, removing them completely does not really make sense. If this were the case we would probably see a removal of all military bases as well. For where there are military bases, there is military issue gear is there not?

I do not like seeing multiple people's with AS50's but I also do not like the idea of "no rare high powered guns or items" it's just such a neat feature, increasing the rarity of these weapons (and possibily vehicles) is a more likely solution.

Who in their right mind would spend 2 hours in an open military base field where players are constantly fluctuating in and out looking for goodies that respawned, just to learn how to press the buttons. If I put you in a helicopter in real life, would you be able to fly it? (assuming you have no flight experience). A whole day isn't enough to replicate the experience of a seasoned helicopter pilot that has probably over atleast 5 years of air force training to fly it. (in real life). Plus, who is there to instruct you anyways? That would take forever to figure it out yourself and the risk in trying would be VERY HIGH.

Edited by thegalakrondian

Who in their right mind would spend 2 hours in an open military base field where players are constantly fluctuating in and out looking for goodies that respawned, just to learn how to press the buttons. If I put you in a helicopter in real life, would you be able to fly it? (assuming you have no flight experience). A whole day isn't enough to replicate the experience of a seasoned helicopter pilot that has probably over atleast 5 years of air force training to fly it. (in real life). Plus, who is there to instruct you anyways? That would take forever to figure it out yourself and the risk in trying would be VERY HIGH.

In my daydreams, I envision a DayZ where the vehicles are portrayed as accurately as in flight sims... ^_^ not a feasible proposition, but still... nice to imagine.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 2

In my daydreams, I envision a DayZ where the vehicles are portrayed as accurately as in flight sims... ^_^ not a feasible proposition, but still... nice to imagine.

Well Rocket is going for realism, and most people don't know how to fly a helicopter is what I'm saying.

In my daydreams, I envision a DayZ where the vehicles are portrayed as accurately as in flight sims...

Does that include automobiles?

Hell, that'd be pretty neat actually.

It would stop the kiddies from taking all the vehicles!

Edited by Death Dealer