applejaxc

3rd Party Interaction, and why it ruins the game

Wow, what was wrong with the 7 page thread that is on the main page on this very topic already?

• Like 1

OP I think you are taking this GAME way too seriously, people want to have fun while playing it and why should you dictate in what way they can do this.

Just wondering is this a game to you, or some weird way of training for a real apocalypse?

Edited by maxamillion12345

Fun. It's a matter of perspective.

So, you've just purchased Arma 2 and OA for DayZ, and you decide to play it with a friend. It's both your first time playing DayZ.

People use Teamspeak because they find communicating easily during play is FUN. They want to meet up with each other easier. They want to laugh together easily.

Tell me. How many people, other than yourself, would enjoy 3rd party programs being banned from DayZ?

Your attitude towards those who don't do as you do is appalling. So really your argument doesn't seem a convincing. But that is a tad bit along the lines of ad hominem, so anyway.

Banned? Definitely not. But I'm still hoping for a difficulty setting that hides the server name, player list, and any other identifier. :) Some of the best times I've had was playing as a lonewolf early on and being completely immersed in the loneliness of the game.

• Like 3

Banned? Definitely not. But I'm still hoping for a difficulty setting that hides the server name, player list, and any other identifier. :) Some of the best times I've had was playing as a lonewolf early on and being completely immersed in the loneliness of the game.

Precisely, I'd love the difficulty to be ramped up entirely. Being a noob was so much fun.

• Like 2

Precisely, I'd love the difficulty to be ramped up entirely. Being a noob was so much fun.

Back in the days where enfields were the greatest thing ever and you never wanted to lose it, and going north seemed like it took days to do. I miss it.

goddamned...

usually im only reading here and dont comment too much on others posts...

but reading this kind of billshut is raging me... >:(

first they patched in many food and stuff and the kids like this appleshitter there cried their tears out...

so they removed all this stuff again... because the kids dont like it...

Wtf? no seriously.. WHAT THE FUCK?

and now he is blaming again... teamspeak should be banned...

because he cant listen ingame conversations of other players anymore so he can sneak up on them and ambush them like a crazy horse...

are you serious?

are holidays again? or why are the kiddos coming out with their billshut again?

go and play warz you overlord... thats more for you than dayz ever will be...

teamspeak is not and will never be banned for use...

and if the devs patch in some new food or something else...

DEAL WITH IT...

goddamned...

usually im only reading here and dont comment too much on others posts...

but reading this kind of billshut is raging me... >:(

first they patched in many food and stuff and the kids like this appleshitter there cried their tears out...

so they removed all this stuff again... because the kids dont like it...

Wtf? no seriously.. WHAT THE FUCK?

and now he is blaming again... teamspeak should be banned...

because he cant listen ingame conversations of other players anymore so he can sneak up on them and ambush them like a crazy horse...

are you serious?

are holidays again? or why are the kiddos coming out with their billshut again?

go and play warz you overlord... thats more for you than dayz ever will be...

teamspeak is not and will never be banned for use...

and if the devs patch in some new food or something else...

DEAL WITH IT...

Teamspeak is never ever going to be banned from any game, including DayZ.

To be honest, I don't know why this thread exists, I feel like OP is just searching for someone to argue with.

Back in the days where enfields were the greatest thing ever and you never wanted to lose it, and going north seemed like it took days to do. I miss it.

Oh you don't know how much I miss it to. It's night time and you're in a town with your flashlight...those were the days. I miss them dearly.

• Like 1

Tell me. How many people, other than yourself, would enjoy 3rd party programs being banned from DayZ?

I for one agree with every issue that the OP raised. At the hands of the community the once great game has devolved to the state it is in now. I don't enjoy playing it in the current state, and have moved on to other pursuits for the most part. I didn't complain about it though, I just gave up on the game. As dissenters here and on the other thread have pointed out, metagaming is allowed and here to stay, so why bother?

How sad.

Applejaxc to his credit is making a forlorn hope effort to raise his concerns and perhaps reverse the trend. I think the only practical option would be a hardcore private server open only to players who have a similar approach to the game.

I remember waaay back in the day when we had to actually dial out to play online. We didn't have two phonelines so my buddy and I got our hands on some voice activated walkie talkies with headsets. We owned Doom2 until the batteries ran out. Point being, even if TS was somehow banned... people still have phones and a lot of us probably have another computer laying around to run TS on. Not to mention there would plenty of workarounds that would pop up overnight. Third party coms are here to stay whether we agree with their use or not.

• Like 2

I for one agree with every issue that the OP raised. At the hands of the community the once great game has devolved to the state it is in now. I don't enjoy playing it in the current state, and have moved on to other pursuits for the most part. I didn't complain about it though, I just gave up on the game. As dissenters here and on the other thread have pointed out, metagaming is allowed and here to stay, so why bother?

How sad.

Applejaxc to his credit is making a forlorn hope effort to raise his concerns and perhaps reverse the trend. I think the only practical option would be a hardcore private server open only to players who have a similar approach to the game.

Teamspeak and Skype were used at the beginning of DayZ. You cannot change this.

Agreed, but the abuse of it has become worse as the game has trended towards a more PvP-oriented style of play.

Agreed, but the abuse of it has become worse as the game has trended towards a more PvP-oriented style of play.

You are saying we should look at how the game is played mostly now as PvP; this is the meta, but you are complaining about metagaming tactics?

I'll never understand that one.

TS3 is a third party program. That's even worse than abusing the game. The TOS need to be changed, and TS3/Skype/et cetera needs to be stomped out.

Oh, you! You really had me going for a while. I thought you were being serious. A bit too late for April fools, but funny nonetheless.

Edited by Rage VG

Yeah the game would be more spontanous if third person things did not exist BUT...so have some beans, i agree...BUTTT, if sqauds talked by direct or when radios come into play that will make it better.

If you aren't using it then as far as your experience goes its still legit.

Edited by Trizzo

To be honest, if there were Radios that broadcast your voice over direct AND the other people's radios, I'd use it. It would be pretty awesome to find a dead body with a radio on it, and be able to hear what people were saying on that frequency.

It would also help people find medical aid.

Edited by Rage VG

I don't know why you would want to stop other players from playing with their friends in comms... Unless you yourself have no friends to play with so therefore If I can't have it no-one can.

Just because you don't do these things, like forum medic, trade, or teamspeak, it doesn't mean everybody has to as well. That's like being in a lunch line and saying "Hey I got the pizza, you should too because everything is crap." Everyone has there own taste, sure some people will get the pizza but not everyone. Besides if it bothers you don't do it yourself, let others do it because it's open to them. In the game I am heart extremely bad, have been for days. My blood meter is literally empty, have I asked for a medic? No. Have I gotten mad at others for using a medic? No.

Edited by BearGravy

I do not believe that 3rd party programs are classified as cheats to me. They cut down on the realism in the game but cannot really be stopped. The only way I could see any type of restriction on these programs is to create a method of speaking to friends in game and limiting the audio output of the game so that you could only hear the game(Alt-tabbing out restores other processes, this would create too much butthurt to comprehend though).

Rocket mentioned radios at PAX and that is good. I realized that he didn't speak much about using it for clans because I am sure in his mind he realizes people use the programs like TS and Skype. The radio function will more than likely take the place of side chat, but will never replace 3rd party programs.

I've heard that at Balota Buddies we may possibly be replacing side chat with ACRE. Now THAT is something I would absoutely love.

Edited by Waldo The Doctor

The problem with these discussions is that people like the OP and I call 3rd party apps cheating, and then people take it as we're on a crusade to get everyone banned and then people proceed to argue about how that is impossible, un-fun or "it's not called cheating".

We bring this stuff up because it's against the spirit of the game. We bring it up because it is changing the game we play. We bring it up because it was all possible when DayZ came out, but people had enough respect for what the mod was trying to be, they played along.

It's sad that "cheating" (or whatever you will call it) is so widely accepted by this community. We've got moderators fighting to keep people in a gray area of exploitation.

I kinda agree on the Teamspeak/Skype thing, but what can you do about it? Just let it go, you wont be able to stop them.

I kinda agree on the Teamspeak/Skype thing, but what can you do about it? Just let it go, you wont be able to stop them.

For me, it's not so much about stopping them. It's about changing the public opinion of doing it. Even if people still do it, but accept that what they're doing is wrong. That's still better than what we have now, people arguing for us to "drop it".

Edit: if you're interested in how to prevent this type of behavior...

I had the same idea as SausageKing...

I'm still hoping for a difficulty setting that hides the server name, player list, and any other identifier. :) Some of the best times I've had was playing as a lonewolf early on and being completely immersed in the loneliness of the game.

or a couple of my threads on similar topics might be worth reading...

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/27591-playing-with-friends-good-for-the-community/

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/78512-better-than-teamspeak/

Edited by bad_mojo

The game isn't fun with all this metagame bullcrap. I'm not taking it seriously; I'm not having fun because ye bastards and all your dam 3rd party stuff stops it from being fun. When I first joined, PvP fights were fun. If you were stealthy, you could listen to direct communication discussions and figure out where someone is going. If you knew the map, you could follow them without being seen and ambush them.

I did not read the 3 pages of flaming wreckage before this so if it's already been posted, oh well.

While I agree with you in principle, being that the game is better when you're all alone and everyone is a on a level playing field. Like a real zombie apocalypse with no comms or organization. But what you're suggesting is that everyone be dictated to play a certain way. Or use their own personal computer in a certain way, including other non game programs like TS and skype. Those type of people are called dictators. The only way to enforce such an opinion would be complete and total control over all gamers' computers.

Communism is a way of making everything 'fair', because forcing everyone to do the same thing is really the only way to make things 'fair'. Except it doesn't really work that way. I think this is a case of keeping your opinion to yourself, or at least voicing it in a less forceful manner.

Unless you plan on seizing control of the world and forcing everyone to play dayz your way. YOU WILL ALL BOW TO THE MIGHTY DAYZ EMPEROR! :rolleyes:

Surely you could have found a better quote than that if you're going to call him a dictator. All that quote says is how frustrated he is at the usage of 3rd party solutions. And how much better is was when people played by the rules.

Some aspects of third party interaction suck.

But finding a private hive with an active forum is simply amazing. Factions rise and fall, alliances are forged, rivalries, wars. It's incredible.

But yeah, the whole logging out while you're critically wounded thing is kind of a pain in the ass.

If there was a way to completely halt outside 3rd party voice communication, and add something similar to the ACE mod in Arma 2, that'd be great.

Edited by Very Ape