applejaxc

3rd Party Interaction, and why it ruins the game

Hi.

TeamSpeak. Forum trading. Forum doctor requests. Forum requests for gear and/or a team to play with.

Are these just parts of the game?

No, no they are not.

TeamSpeak

Regardless of whether it is TS, Skype, Steam Chat, or any other out-of-game system of communication, it is cheating. Think about it:

If everyone in a gaming competition had to use noise-cancelling headphones while they play a competitive match of A3, it'd be fair; EVERYONE would operate under those conditions.

But what if the asshole next to you wasn't wearing his headphones, and no one noticed but you? He'd be able to hear everything; you couldn't sneak up on him. You couldn't walk near him without being heard. To you, the world is all color and motion. But him? He can hear everything you do.

Oh yeah, and he's on the other team.

Does that sound fair?

That is exactly the kind of advantage 3rd party programs provide, and it's terrible. If the game WANTED such a thing to exist, wouldn't it have radios/ways to communicate with each other? If the game WANTED you to be able to talk to each other across the map, why would the SA remove global/side chat?

Forum Help Requests

So you're in the zombie apocalypse. No internet, electricity, radio. You get into a gunfight with someone, and hole up in a building. You watch the only entrance with your brand-new DMR or LMG or whatever, waiting. You've got all the time in the world, and a huge, fair advantage: Tactics.

Then the other guy alt-tabs out.

Five minutes later, there's now 10 enemies he's recruited from the internet, and one of them has satchel charges/a LAW. The roof collapses on your head and you die.

Was that fair? Was that even FUN? Instead of the other player being challenged to defeat you in the test of skill in combat and strategy, he could leave the game for help. And for that bullsh!t reason, you died. You could have alt-tabbed out, but no, YOU play fairly. YOU aren't a douchebag. YOU'D never do that. But him? Yeah. He's a douche. He had to go and use a 3rd party service to defeat you, and now you're dead for no reason more than he's a prick with internet access. Does the GAME allow for internet access? NO, no it does not. Neither of you should have had that advantage; you were equal on the battlefield.

Until he went and cheated...

Forum Help Request.

You get into a fight with a vicious, notorious bandit on your favorite server. You wind up dying, but you die happy knowing you broke his legs, and he's stranded in the middle of nowhere; he'll die, too, eventually. It's a good day; you gave your life for a good cause: Justice.

Then he alt-tabs out and says, "Some bandit shot me in the legs. plz help kthxbye" on some forum.

Pretty soon a gullible doctor arrives and fixes him up, then is likely shot by the bandit.

That pricks cheating means many things.

1: You died for nothing. Go cry about it.

2: You got an innocent doctor killed.

3: His cheating means the game has no challenge. Skill has no merit. He was saved because he had the ability to leave, beg for help, and receive it. But did YOU go to the forums and say, "Some bandit shot me, can I have gear? Kthxbye" ? No. You restarted the game like a good, honest player, and made your way into Elektrovodsk.

What is fair about any of that?

Nothing.

He broke the 4th wall.

Called in essentially an act of god to save the day.

Got healed.

Killed an innocent player.

And was able to do this via the forums he uses to connect with DayZ players. It doesn't have to be this one, although it's likely that's exactly which one was used.

Requesting forum help, again.

You and another player spawn in at the same exact time, right next to each other. You both run into the city to get gear together. After half an hour, you meet to see who is better at gear collecting.

You: Winchester 1866, M1911, some food.

Him: AS50, ghillie suit, M9SD, a helicopter.

You spent 30 minutes fighting zombies and fighting for your life.

He spent 30 minutes going on some forums and saying, "Just died can I have some gear? kthxbye"

This 3rd-party assistance bullcrap unbalanced the game terribly, in his favor. What is to stop him, now, from just 1-shotting you and running off? Nothing, with the power of the forums. But let's say your puny Winchester does beat his AS50. Then what? The A*shole that gave him all his gear shoots you, or even if you beat him, more people are recruited from the forum to come and hunt you down. Your options are stay and die, or logout like a wuss.

20+ helicopters, 200 cars, free M9SD, no nighttime!

I sh!t you not; I read that very advertisement not more than two days ago and puked in my mouth.

So helicopters are everywhere.

Cars are everywhere x2.

You get a free suppressed gun.

There's never a night cycle.

I challenge you to find one challenge in that server. Private hives are a flawed, failed idea. They should be disbarred as soon as this scripting is under wraps; the only private servers the SA should have are LAN parties. If you're that desperate to be with your friends, likely using TS like a douche (read above), you can just join a low-population/empty server; there will be plenty soon enough.

=====================

But this isn't a closed book.

=====================

I want to know, from the point of view of the very people I despise in DayZ, what legitimized and validates the use of 3rd party interaction for an unfair advantage? What makes it okay for you? How do you get out of bed, knowing you're a cheater, wasting thousand's of honest peoples' collective payments of $20 for A2CO?

DayZ is a game about survival, going from 1 bandage to riches while dealing with pain, loss, hardship, and ultimately, death. DayZ is a game about difficulty, realism. DayZ was not made for children, or the weak of heart. DayZ is supposed to be a tense, action-packed surreal experience that teaches you social dynamics, and asks you the most important question of all: Do you have what it takes to survive?

The answer, boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, scoundrels and cutthroats, the honest and the dishonest, the fair and unfair, is no.

No.

Humanity does not have what it takes.

Humanity is a wee baby, sucking the teat of the internet because it is comprised of lazy jerks who can't be bothered to set aside the luxuries of 3rd party programs and just survive. Just be a part of DayZ.

If a zombie broke your door down right now, what would you do? Would you turn your laptop on and pray for help, or would you grab the nearest object and defend yourself? You can't get help from 3rd party programs in real life. If you wreck your car, can you hit CNTRL + Z and undo it? If you are dead, can you ask God or Allah or Buddha, or Hinto, or whatever to just *poof* revive you?

No.

No you cannot.

You are a child. A small child in a large world.

A world full of evil, scary things.

You aren't ready to face that world until you turn off TS, Skype, Steam Chat, change to direct channel, and stop using any other means of cross-map communications.

You aren't ready to face that world until you learn to find gear on your own.

You aren't ready to face that world until you can meet and greet players for real, rather than through online requests.

Walk into Elektrovodsk. Make a friend. Ask him if he'd like to trade gear. THAT IS HOW YOU PLAY DAYZ.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Concerns? Rebuttals? I am genuinely interested in why people ruin the competitiveness and fun of the game. Can you even think of an excuse? I doubt it.

NO MORE TEAMSPEAK!

NO MORE GLOBAL FORUM DOCTORS!

• Like 7

OH MY GOD ANOTHER ONE OF THESE GODDAMN THREADS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Look, I understand that you want to enjoy the game to its utmost, but that doesn't give you the right to go all Führer on us and tell us what we can and can't do. If we want to ruin the game for ourselves by skipping out on the fun (exploring for our own gear) or destroy the immersion for ourselves (Using teamspeak), we have every right to do that, because we are not restricted by the TOS. It is not your place to tell us how we should play and what we should do, because it is not up to you, it is up to the rules of the game, and none of those are broken by using TS or the forums.

There are dozens of players who only want to player super hard-on immersion style, why not just gather these players and populate a server, or even host your own? You get your perfect game, and you don't have to rage on the forums.

Finally, it ruins the game my ass. You are acting like it is literally unplayable because you can't hear what people are saying, or people are actually co-operating. This is the same train of thought those selfish game corporations have towards used games; "We are losing so much money(fun) because of people selling used games (Using teamspeak)!"

No. You are not losing out on anything, you're just not gaining there, because you haven't stuck your hand in that cookie jar to stop everyone else taking some.

This is one cookie jar you can't stick your hand in.

THAT IS HOW YOU PLAY DAYZ.

More like,

THAT IS HOW I PLAY DAYZ, SO YOU MUST DO IT TOO!

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 22

Fun. It's a matter of perspective.

So, you've just purchased Arma 2 and OA for DayZ, and you decide to play it with a friend. It's both your first time playing DayZ.

People use Teamspeak because they find communicating easily during play is FUN. They want to meet up with each other easier. They want to laugh together easily.

Tell me. How many people, other than yourself, would enjoy 3rd party programs being banned from DayZ?

Your attitude towards those who don't do as you do is appalling. So really your argument doesn't seem a convincing. But that is a tad bit along the lines of ad hominem, so anyway.

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 4

The game isn't fun with all this metagame bullcrap. I'm not taking it seriously; I'm not having fun because ye bastards and all your dam 3rd party stuff stops it from being fun. When I first joined, PvP fights were fun. If you were stealthy, you could listen to direct communication discussions and figure out where someone is going. If you knew the map, you could follow them without being seen and ambush them.

So, you've just purchased Arma 2 and OA for DayZ, and you decide to play it with a friend. It's both your first time playing DayZ.

People use Teamspeak because they find communicating easily during play is FUN. They want to meet up with each other easier. They want to laugh together easily.

Tell me. How many people, other than yourself, would enjoy 3rd party programs being banned from DayZ?

People that are mature enough to handle zombie survival as a survival experience, not a social fest. If I wanted to take the "Kick back, drink a beer with a friend" approach to gaming, I wouldn't choose the kill-or-be-killed-by-cheating-pricks world of DayZ. I'd play normal ArmA 2, where TS actually makes sense because the military uses radios.

Yes, the game has changed. Adapt or perish.

For a brony you're so full of anger. u,u

• Like 2

This.

Not only do I want to use whatever programs I want when I play my game, but I don't want to have to shut down every single fucking process on my computer before I play, because someone said I can't use anything else. There are a million and one programs that will let you talk to people. mIRC, TinyChat, Skype, TS, Mumble, MSN, AIM, fuck, you could talk to someone through CMD if you were desperate. Maybe they should sell DayZ PCs, that attach a mask with a mic to your face, so you can only talk into the mic, and the PC ONLY has DayZ installed, so there's no more Skype or Teamspeak.

The game isn't fun with all this metagame bullcrap.

Not fun for you.

I'm not taking it seriously; I'm not having fun because ye bastards and all your dam 3rd party stuff stops it from being fun.

Stops it being fun for you.

You know, I usually enjoy taking my dogs for a walk, but I find myself flying into a rage when I see people on their mobile phones.

"GET OFF YOUR CHEATING GADGETS AND TALK TO YOUR FRIEND BY ACTUALLY GOING TO HIM, YOU BASTARD!" I'd scream.

Same goes whenever I see an ambulance. "WHAT THE FUCK, YOU CAREBEARS! IF HE FUCKED UP, HE DESERVES TO DIE AAAAAAGH"

This totally ruins my dog-walking experience and these things should be banned.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 1

How could you enforce 'no third-party VOIP programs' when DayZ standalone is released on Steam anyway? xD

People that are mature enough to handle zombie survival as a survival experience, not a social fest.

Mature as dictated by you, I suspect.

I don't use Skype/ts when I play, mostly because I play solo. When I do use skype, it's to talk to people playing League of Legends, or Battlefield, and I still use Direct chat to talk to people ingame. And I think it's a terrible idea. Before it is a survival experience, remember that it is a video game. It seems slightly hypocritical of you to questions people's maturity after declaring the majority of the player base "Assholes" and "Jerks" because they play how they want on a video game.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 1

Yes, but that's YOU. People shouldn't have to do things just because you want it to happen.

This is a game. You are taking it FAR too seriously. If Rocket really wanted it to be a ultra-realistic zombie survival [like you want it to be], I think the forums would be different far different to what they are now.

• Like 1

Your attitude towards those who don't do as you do is appalling. So really your argument doesn't seem a convincing. But that is a tad bit along the lines of ad hominem, so anyway.

Your argument is, "We should allow cheating, because if we don't, cheaters will be mad."

• Like 1

Mature as dictated by you, I suspect.

I don't use Skype/ts when I play, mostly because I play solo. When I do use skype, it's to talk to people playing League of Legends, or Battlefield, and I still use Direct chat to talk to people ingame. And I think it's a terrible idea.

This. I sit in Teamspeak so I can talk to people, most of which aren't even playing the same game that I am.

I'm not going to isolate myself from talking to anyone, doing anything that isn't realistic in regards to DayZ, just because one person thinks that doing otherwise is cheating.

Your argument is, "We should allow cheating, because if we don't, cheaters will be mad."

No, I was asking a question.

Edited by Inception.

No, it's

"We should allow it, because it's not against the TOS, therefore it isn't cheating."

Hey, I could do that too; your argument is:

"Someone killed me and they weren't playing identical to me, therefore that is the sole reason they killed me and it should be removed from the game"

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 1

Again - cheating as definied by you. The vast majority don't consider metagaming cheating.

Edit: dat_ninja

Edited by mZLY

Again - cheating as definied by you. The vast majority don't consider metagaming cheating.

Exactly.

Also, OP, what lessens your argument is the fact that you are constantly trying to post it everywhere on the forums. Places that aren't even relevant to it.

I don't think that posting this topic here was even necessary. I'm sure the general public know your view upon such a subject already thanks to your constant posting regarding it.

Edited by Inception.

Duplication glitches were patched out of the game because players used it to gain an unfair advantage over other players.

That was considered cheating.

Is TS different?

And to clarify and rectify the situation with a few of the above posters, I don't have a problem with TS/Skype/whatever being on while you. My problem is TS being on while you play so that you can communicate with other DayZ players, who are in the game with you, so that you can communicate as a team in a manner which is impossible for legitimate players. You can talk to someone; you just shouldn't do it for cheat reasons, like cross-map coordination.

Your above

Duplication glitches were patched out of the game because players used it to gain an unfair advantage over other players.

Is TS different?

And to clarify and rectify the situation with a few of the above posters, I don't have a problem with TS/Skype/whatever being on while you. My problem is TS being on while you play so that you can communicate with other DayZ players, who are in the game with you, so that you can communicate as a team in a manner which is impossible for legitimate players. You can talk to someone; you just shouldn't do it for cheat reasons, like cross-map coordination.

Your points here are only valid when it is officially established that using 3rd party programs [Teamspeak] is cheating. That's the problem.

Is TS different?

Duping is abusing in-game bugs.

TS3 is a VOIP program.

IMO they couldn't be more different. :S

• Like 2

Applejaxc, It sounds like you would've loved the DOS-days when you could only run one program at the time :)

The only way to get the kind of gameplay you want is to go Big Brother on every player on the server you're on and monitor all their computer's activity. I understand your frustration but there's nothing that can be done about it. The only solution I can think of is direct chat being always on in DayZ so any mic-input is automatically transmitted in-game which introduces a whole new set of problems.

There's never a night cycle.

personally, i think night is much easier to play.

TS3 is a third party program. That's even worse than abusing the game. The TOS need to be changed, and TS3/Skype/et cetera needs to be stomped out.

You aren't Hitler and this isn't Nazi Germany.

• Like 3

So why should your wants become the game's reality?

EDIT: All of this talk of realism, Applejaxc. Tell me, please, how many times have you died in DayZ?

Edited by Inception.