r4z0r49

DayZ Mod 1.7.7 Patch

As Gunslinger said, this is very unreliable and dangerous. Plus it's obviously just a different kind of gamey tactics that shouldn't really be in the game.

By all means, if you have suggestions of how to succesfully avoid aggroing zombies or lose aggro please post them. Even better, post a video of yourself succesfully playing the game so we can learn from your superior skills.

If you can see a zombie, crouch-run. If he's within 20m or so, switch to crouch-walking. Never let them get closer than 15m. I usually don't go prone unless it's for something really odd, since it makes you vulnerable. Stay off of road, dirt, and other hard surfaces. Stick entirely to grass, and if you need to use road, make sure you can't see any zombies. Once you get an axe/machete, you can loot much, much faster, since even if you get zombies on you, you can kill them without taking any damage so long as you funnel them through a doorway. They won't be able to hit you if you keep running anyways, so just do that till you find a building once you've got a weapon. If you've attracted zombies before then, you can still loot pretty easily, you just gotta get good at identifying items on the ground without opening your gear menu. Picking up items takes ~1.5 seconds if you know what you want out of the pile, which is plenty of time since it takes zombies around 6 seconds to get through a doorway.

You make it sound like the things that are happening to you are unavoidable. If that's the case, how are there so many people with different experiences than you, that are thoroughly enjoying themselves, like myself?

This patch contains CONTRIVED difficulty. It breaks game rules. See my post above. (Not the one that didn't post right...there's one before.)

I address many ways this patch is UNREALISTIC.

I'd have to "adapt" to zombies driving tanks around. That would be more "difficult". Simply, many changes in this patch are just as silly.

Don't dismiss people POINTING OUT the GLARING problems with this patch as "playing wrong".

For example, If I run around houses and am two turns ahead of zombies, I should be able to lose their agro. Can they see through buildings now?

For example, in the tiniest of villages near starting areas, with ONE enterable cabin, I get TWO LINES of unending zombies all entering the cabin. Starting from 50m down the road. How do they all know the building is empty? ESP? And they don't stop spawning. MORE ZOMBIES IN ONE HOUSE TOWNS THAN IN CHERNO!!!! Realistic? I don't think so.

For example, once I start a fire, zombies spawn at 16m. Are they coming out of the ground now?

Do yourself a favor and read more of this thread. There are EXCELLENT points why this patch is UNREALISTIC.

There is a GOOD kind of increased difficulty. Contrived, mechanic breaking difficulty is abysmal to the immersion of the game.

Too many occasions, where the game just abandons any sort of fairness to careful and patient players, leave me just shaking my head and laughing at the game and this patch in disbelief. Immersion is broken.

Edited by need matches

Tents aren't working. They just don't save anything.

• Like 1

This patch contains CONTRIVED difficulty. It breaks game rules. See my post above.

I address many ways this patch is UNREALISTIC.

I'd have to "adapt" to zombies driving tanks around. That would be more "difficult". Simply, many changes in this patch are just as silly.

Don't dismiss people POINTING OUT the GLARING problems with this patch as "playing wrong".

For example, If I run around houses and am two turns ahead of zombies, I should be able to lose their agro. Can they see through buildings now?

For example, in the tiniest of villages near starting areas, with ONE enterable cabin, I get TWO LINES of unending zombies all entering the cabin. Starting from 50m down the road. How do they all know the building is empty? ESP? And they don't stop spawning. MORE ZOMBIES IN ONE HOUSE TOWNS THAN IN CHERNO!!!! Realistic? I don't think so.

For example, once I start a fire, zombies spawn at 16m. Are they coming out of the ground now?

Do yourself a favor and read more of this thread. There are EXCELLENT points why this patch is UNREALISTIC.

There is a GOOD kind of increased difficulty. Contrived, mechanic breaking difficulty is abysmal to the immersion of the game.

Too many occasions, where the game just abandons any sort of fairness to careful and patient players, leave me just shaking my head and laughing at the game and this patch. Immersion broken.

I'm a little concerned by your zeal in this post, as during my 10 hours of playtime logged in 1.7.7 I've only seen one of the issues you've brought up, that being the running around houses and not losing aggro. Though, of course, complaining about that is completely silly. Do you expect them to have the memory of a goldfish? A mouse, perhaps? Just like you, they can hear, see, and remember. If you run around a corner, it would be humorous if they simply stopped and scratched their head, like they did in 1.7.6. Zombies were a joke before this patch- something to laugh at and get bored with. Now, they are predators, like they were always meant to be. You do know that Dean referred to the zombies as 'Apex Predators'... don't you?

• Like 1

I don't like how the zeds leave a barrier when killed. When I kill one in the doorway and try to get out, it get's blocked for a second or two.

Zeds spawn and disappear in woods, even in line of sight.

I understand the idea of scarce loot, but it's ridiculous to play for an hour or two, scout every lootspot and only find tin cans and the odd flare/glowstick, even in barns and industry buildings. Oh no, I tell a lie. Found wet playing cards and a holy book. Tried converting the zeds, even exorcism. Didn't go as planned :(

LOS is pretty much become penetrating radar with zeds.

• Like 2

Zetal, I'm being serious, are my posts just going over your head? You seem to be totally missing the substance of my posts. I mean no disrespect.

I would WELCOME more zombie difficulty! It has to be fair and make sense.

And judging by the "beans" I'm getting from posts in several different threads regarding these issues, I am not alone by any means.

Many who "love" the patch and "love Cherno being a ghost town" are making RIDICULOUS EXCUSES FOR THIS PATCH.

Are you so hard up for more difficulty that you welcome a poor patch with open arms?

I have been patiently trying this patch and, in those instances where I can find and successfully pick up a melee weapon (some are still broken), I can survive for quite some time. I LOVE SURVIVAL. I LOVE MECHANICS.

I don't love this patch.

• Like 3

Zetal, I'm being serious, are my posts just going over your head? You seem to be totally missing the substance of my posts. I mean no disrespect.

I would WELCOME more zombie difficulty! It has to be fair and make sense...

Are you so hard up for more difficulty that you welcome a poor patch with open arms?...

Honestly? Yea. I don't think this patch is all that bad, but even if it was as bad as you're making it out to be, I'd be okay with it anyways. Beggars can't be choosers, and all that. This game has been obscenely easy for nearly a year now, up to the point that I hated even thinking about playing it. Someone would jokingly suggest playing DayZ and we'd all have a laugh and go "maybe when Standalone is out." But this isn't that game anymore. Sure, it might have some minor 'immersion-breaking' features, but honestly, this version makes me feel more immersed because the zombies are actually a threat now, in addition to being the buggy weirdo's that they've always been. Zombies SHOULD be a threat. And it's about damn time that they are.

Edited by Zetal
  • Like 2

You need to go into Controls, Custom Controls on the dropdown box, and assign Custom Control 20 to the 'Insert' key to access the journal.

Dumb question... What other Custom Control keymaps are possible and what do they do?

Does anyone know the amount of blood the new Viral Zombies have? I know regular Zeds have about 4500 or so. I hit a zombie with an SVD and it took two shots to take it down. I gotta assume its over 7000. I just want to know if anyone has the exact number

For the machine guns to hit you the heli has to stay relatively still with the gunner exposed to you. I've been shot out from the gunner seat with a DMR before.

Kind of like IRL ;)

I encourage people interested to read my previous post on this thread regarding the number of changes that are NOT REALISTIC.

I'll sum up some basic things here, because this post is getting more "harder is realistic" posts. No. It's not. When difficulty is pumped in to the degree that it breaks the rules of the game world, then it is contrived and UNREALISTIC.

I should be able to lose agro when, running around houses, I get two to three turns ahead. Now they just use ESP to STILL find you despite sight being broken twice in a row.

Entering an empty house unseen, with minimal zombies wandering about, but then when I'm in the house, five zombies enter using both entrances.

Zombies spawning closely when you start a fire. Are they coming out of the ground now?

Tiny tiny starting area villages are simply, harder to loot than Cherno. It's so ridiculous now, I just laugh at the game and shake my head.

Lack of melee weapons even around farms and rural areas. With the amount of changes, don't minimalize essential starting gear.

Read my last post for more.

The new difficulty needs to make sense. Some here are STILL making comments like, "oh, you're impatient," "go play CoD," and "thank god cherno is a ghost town".

Really? You don't see what's wrong in this patch? So, unfair to the game and player changes are ok, as long as Cherno is a ghost town? Who sounds like the whiny ones? And it's because there's no loot in the cities anymore. That's why.

Giving zombies immersion breaking powers isn't the answer folks. We welcome more difficulty. This just isn't the way.

This just sums it all up right there. Take every last bean in my backpack good sir!

• Like 3

I'll let my earlier posts speak for themselves.

I just wanted to say that after spending hours with 1.7.7 and rolling back and forth again to previous patch, I think I'm going to stay with the previous patch.

My latest 1.7.7 experience was entering a garage, one garage door one regular door building, with minimal zombies around, I decided to shoot one already in the garage. In no less than 3 seconds there were, I'm serious, 8 zombies in there. I just don't know what more I can say. Again, my previous posts.

I really feel for people spending money on arma and just now trying Dayz out. I really do.

In my beginning days the game and zombies and learning curve were challenging. I loved it.

I recognized that my hard work would pay off. I was getting better. I was understanding the rules of the game. Zombie behavior. How to loot. etc.

No more. And you have to be open minded to realize this if you are a long time player. New players will welcome difficulty if IT MAKES SENSE.

This patch will stall the growth of Dayz Mod. It will strike new players as being "unfair"...and that isn't code word of "difficult". Unfair is just that.

Do you want to play solitaire with a deck of 46? Or play Pac-Man with 12 more ghosts added and power dots taken away at the same time?

Sure the previous patch was getting easy. (although zombies could agro from farther away...not easier). I don't find 1.7.7 to be harder. I find it to be rule breaking. It's too bad if this is the only way the game could be made more difficult.

I may still comment in various threads about 1.7.7 since I have feelings about it. But I will NOT be playing it. As numerous people on Youtube have said, "Maybe they broke the mod so people will have to buy Standalone."

I don't know...but at least that would SORT OF explain why 1.7.7 is the way it is.

• Like 6

You are aware that it's going to be tweaked aren't you? This happens with every patch. It get's released, the devs listen to the feedback and then tweak it it, it's been like that since day #1. Also, I have to say it's hard to take anyone seriously that suggests the mod has been broken to help SA sales, that's beyond stupid and doesn't deserve a reply.

I'm not trying to patronise you but Razor has responded to the criticisms and you make it sound like nothing's going to change and it's the nail in the coffin for DayZ.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

I really have the feeling some people would like to make us believe the patch is actually working as intended and that bugs/glitches are in fact a (twisted ?) way to make the game harder. How does an empty cherno make the game harder ? And how the hell does a gliched tent which doesn't want to set up where you intend it to be, warps you and catch fire when destroyed makes the game harder ? The point is not that the game is harder the point is the game is more bugged !! Now i am not quite getting the point why people would rejoice at the idea of playing a buggier game. In any case a cheap jedi mind trick like : "(waves hand) this is not the game you're looking for" sounds like a very poor attempt to make us believe nothing went wrong with the current patch to begin with. Sorry to say that's NOT the case and that pretending otherwise is just what pushed people over the edge and made a fair number quit. THAT, more than anything else, really makes me angry !

Edited by rod
  • Like 3

I wish the patch would have fixed some of the zombie glitches and such better than it did but whatever its a game and I understand they have those problems. I really hope they can fix it in the standalone... one can hope!

I actually love almost everything about the new patch except for 2 things. #1 - Need to either have more antibiotics or be allowed to sleep in any tent you find even after you DIE. As it is right now if I happen to die (example last night I glitched into the side of a building and then fell to my death :( lol), after respawning and getting my stuff about 1 hour later I ended up getting infected off 1 hit from a zombie... it happens all good. Went to the hospital in Cherno no antibotics, went to the second then made my way to electro and still nothing so I decided I would make a break for my tents and try "sleeping it off". I forgot I couldn't sleep/rest in my tent after dying! I would be able to sleep in my tent or ANYONES tent for that matter at anytime. Then #2 shouldn't be 15 mins before loot spawn... maybe 5-7 mins or so, 15 mins seems like an aweful long time to be hanging out near a heli crash site or hospital to get some loot. Those are just my thoughts though, I love that this patch finally made zombies dangerous and a real threat.

EDIT *** Oh ya, can we get some more peddle bikes too? There should be like 1 of these or more for every city there is in the game. I love them, or give us the ability to "construct" a bike out of parts. 2 tires, fuel tanks, engine parts and 2 things of scrap metal make a bike. Or add something like peddles & handle bars so instead of fuel tank parts and engine parts you would use those to create a bike, now that would be bitching!

Edited by erocean
  • Like 2

You are aware that it's going to be tweaked aren't you? This happens with every patch. It get's released, the devs listen to the feedback and then tweak it it, it's been like that since day #1. Also, I have to say it's hard to take anyone seriously that suggests the mod has been broken to help SA sales, that's beyond stupid and doesn't deserve a reply.

By quoting what OTHERS are saying regarding 1.7.7 on Youtube, and if you read the substance of my post, you will understand why I said what I said.

Meaning: "Yes it is silly to think someone would break the mod so people would be pushed to buy the SA. BUT, since I can't find a reason these changes were

IMPLEMENTED the way they are, it WOULD, in a crazy world, "SORT OF" explain it."

I think I was clearly being facetious and making a point. And why, out of the whole post, try to marginalize my comments with that one small part?

Like others here, I'm mystified by those who proclaim "love" for the patch when it has GLARING problems extending beyond mere glitches. Yes I know it will be "tweaked". I certainly hope so because the essence of one of my favorite games of all time, especially in the past number of years, has changed.

And I do like more than a few things about the patch. I want to thank the developers for their hard work. I realize many issues I have may prove to be temporary.

EDIT: SPELLING and TONE; I came off more jerky than I meant to to Fraggle.

Edited by need matches
  • Like 5

If you can see a zombie, crouch-run. If he's within 20m or so, switch to crouch-walking. Never let them get closer than 15m.

Crouching is pretty obvious, but it's still often useless considering how close zombies are to the loot, and how many there tend to be.

Once you get an axe/machete, you can loot much, much faster, since even if you get zombies on you, you can kill them without taking any damage so long as you funnel them through a doorway.

Sure, but then you have to actually find a melee weapon first and be able to take it.

They won't be able to hit you if you keep running anyways, so just do that till you find a building once you've got a weapon.If you've attracted zombies before then, you can still loot pretty easily, you just gotta get good at identifying items on the ground without opening your gear menu. Picking up items takes ~1.5 seconds if you know what you want out of the pile, which is plenty of time since it takes zombies around 6 seconds to get through a doorway.

Well, what is it? Can loot be gotten to with stealth, or do you need to just make a run for it, and try to shake off zombies later? Because people who don't like the patch are constantly accused of doing exactly that; running for it, instead of being careful.

We are the loving the latest patch ,so much we put up a new server {private hive: THE ASYLUM), it feels like Dayz did back in May of last year...Infected are once again a real threat, we find ourselves scavenging for antibiotics more then anything. My only criticism is way too many heli wrecks. We literally have found numerous wrecks (4-6) all clustered in a very small area.

All in all this patch (IMHO) has brought life back to an otherwise stale game. The feeling of constant danger and sense of impending doom created by an infected horde that poses a real threat coupled with minimal gear (weapons, car parts etc..) has recreated that initial feeling we all loved when we started playing. Hoo-RA! Great job guyz.

• Like 1

Zombies SHOULD be a threat. And it's about damn time that they are.

Nobody wants that to be any different, but we want zombies to be fair in addition to being hard. I don't mind zombies being able to kill me easily, if I have a good chance of avoiding them when I put in the effort. I don't mind zombies being able to kill me easily if I'm able to shake them off. At the moment I'm finding it too difficult or too tedious to do either of those things.

And as need matches says: if people with some experience in DayZ think this. What the hell is an actual noob going to think?

• Like 2

By quoting what OTHERS are saying regarding 1.7.7 on Youtube, and if you read the substance of my post, you will understand why I said what I said.

Meaning: "Yes it is silly to think someone would break the mod so people would be pushed to buy the SA. BUT, since I can't find a reason these changes were

IMPLEMENTED the way they are, it WOULD, in a crazy world, "SORT OF" explain it."

I think I was clearly being facetious and making a point. And why, out of the whole post, try to marginalize my comments with that one small part?

Like others here, I'm mystified by those who proclaim "love" for the patch when it has GLARING problems extending beyond mere glitches. Yes I know it will be "tweaked". I certainly hope so because the essence of one of my favorite games of all time, especially in the past number of years, has changed.

And I do like more than a few things about the patch. I want to thank the developers for their hard work. I realize many issues I have may prove to be temporary.

EDIT: SPELLING and TONE; I came off more jerky than I meant to to Fraggle.

You sound like a bloody politician. Could you try and drop the arrogant tone for just a couple minutes, jump off your pedestal, and talk to the rest of us like an actual human being? Yes, there are problems with the patch, and R4Z0R has already said that he's fixing the bugs and revamping the infection system, but the difficulty is here to stay. So stop acting like a 'white knight' and making this about some faux 'realism' you've concocted and play the game. Sorry if this comes off as rude but after reading nearly five of your posts I'm just sick to death of your attitude.

Crouching is pretty obvious, but it's still often useless considering how close zombies are to the loot, and how many there tend to be.

Sure, but then you have to actually find a melee weapon first and be able to take it.

Well, what is it? Can loot be gotten to with stealth, or do you need to just make a run for it, and try to shake off zombies later? Because people who don't like the patch are constantly accused of doing exactly that; running for it, instead of being careful.

In my opinion it's a careful mix of both, not just one or the other, and I think that's where a lot of people get confused. It takes an understanding of the game mechanics so that you can apply the methods you've learned appropriately and quickly whenever they're needed. I wish I could make a video, but my computer just doesn't support it, unfortunately. :/

Edited by Zetal

You sound like a bloody politician. Could you try and drop the arrogant tone for just a couple minutes, jump off your pedestal, and talk to the rest of us like an actual human being? Yes, there are problems with the patch, and R4Z0R has already said that he's fixing the bugs and revamping the infection system, but the difficulty is here to stay. So stop acting like a 'white knight' and making this about some faux 'realism' you've concocted and play the game. Sorry if this comes off as rude but after reading nearly five of your posts I'm just sick to death of your attitude.

In my opinion it's a careful mix of both, not just one or the other, and I think that's where a lot of people get confused. It takes an understanding of the game mechanics so that you can apply the methods you've learned appropriately and quickly whenever they're needed. I wish I could make a video, but my computer just doesn't support it, unfortunately. :/

Just what freakin "difficulty" are you talking about ?

Nobody wants that to be any different, but we want zombies to be fair in addition to being hard. I don't mind zombies being able to kill me easily, if I have a good chance of avoiding them when I put in the effort. I don't mind zombies being able to kill me easily if I'm able to shake them off. At the moment I'm finding it too difficult or too tedious to do either of those things.

And as need matches says: if people with some experience in DayZ think this. What the hell is an actual noob going to think ?

Seems pretty obvious he'll pretend it feels like good ol' times...

Seems pretty obvious he'll pretend it feels like good ol' times...

Just what freakin "difficulty" are you talking about ?

You..You actually just quoted the 'difficulty' I was referring to. Like, just now. Are you feeling okay?