timedance

Scoped Lee Enfield

This wouldnt be half bad, espicially with a weapon custimzation where you could take it off and maybe just have iron sights.

I wonder how you will take it off if you need tools and don't have any...not every weapon has a fancy rail system. Afaik the scopes from most bolt action rifles are tightly bolted to the gun and it takes a while to switch it and of course the missing "need to rezero the rifle" sucks...

Edited by Enforcer

Sniping is unrealistic anyway... :) IRL you couldn't use a long range sniper rifle without zeroing and adapting the scope to your eye...

_Anubis _

So basically you would need to add windage in addition to the elevation adjustments you can already make? The only way to make this match reality would be to have scopes start at a random setting which would need to be zeroed, and have each players view be set slightly off of zero in a random direction.

In my experience though, even if a rifle is zeroed at 300m for one person, another could still use it with surprising accuracy for target shooting without any adjustments, let alone for hitting something as big as a person. It's a game, having to make minute adjustments every time you get a new rifle would be a pain. To make things more realistic, lets get rid of the reticule and only have iron sights or best guess from the hip.

As far as a scoped Mosin, you can add a scope to one, but it typically requires changing the bold handle and tapping into the action for the mounting screws (IRL anyway.). But I'm all for adding mosins, I use to have one. You gotta love Russian engineering, ugly, dirt cheap, and practically bomb proof.

As for the OP. Yes, please.

Edited by Jeremiah Cross

I actually AM for removal of the reticle :)

As for changing attachments, they are not designed as "instant plug and play" things. excepted some specific scope mounts, such as the PSO ones, you need at least some kind of multitool to attach a scope to a rail if you don't ant it to kick out of allignment every shot.

One of the good things in STALKER was the possibility to customize weapons by adding/removing silencers, laser pointers, scopes etc.

Glad that is finally coming to dayz.

_Anubis_

The real great thing about it was, that you could get really upset after finding the 3rd and 4th soviet silencer and soviet scope, when you just wanted a freaking scope for your m4.

I really hope that there will be civilian and military expansions of different types.

Rifle + flashlight + ducttape was suggested a few times. Bayonet also.

If they only implement the different military scopes, barrel-length and picatinny attachements alone, each military grade rifle will already have a lot of different improvements.

The same for soviet military + a few attachements for civilian rifles, and we'd have a very colorful range of weapons, even with only a few basic rifle models.

Can't wait to see what they will give us :-)

tl;dr: i hope there are different attachements for different weapons, so they become harder to find but more individualized.

Hello there

As has been pointed out, I can see the enfield being replaced by a mosin etc as Enfields are not exactly super common in the Easter Block.

Also, modern battle rifles have special "universal" rail mounts built specifically for different systems, The Enfield/Mosin etc did not have these so mounting many types of "common" sights etc simply could not be achieved without the help of a skilled gunsmith.

OK, Dayz isnt Uber realistic as we know, so as has been pointed out telescopic versions of the Mosin could appear, but most likely a more moden rifle with a soviet mounting system will find its way in game.

The end is nigh for the enfield i fear.

Rgds

LoK

Scope for SMLE would make my day. really. and fricking bayonette.

with a "fix bayonette" button for quick on the fly fix/unfix. to rush the nasties...

and a whistle.... to let peeps know it's time to go ove the top...

and no I do not think it strange to have a scope AND an bayonette for the same rifle! (just in case you were thinking that)

Mr Amway.

maybe not heaps of lee's in russia but there would be in the south of the old ussr or closer to turkey (def in turkey).

I thought the original map for DayZ was meant to be in the Czech Republic? If it is, thats kind like, you know, not Russia.

Is it my imagination or is the winchester 1866 almost as good as the SMLE? (It was a last resort due to helicoptrised weapon hoovers...)

I had quite a good night downing zombies at a bit of a distance with it and would welome a mild scope for it....

The mk.1 Lee Enfield was not designed to be a scoped rifle. As Gews has said, it would require a ton of specialty parts that wouldn't crop up in the current DayZ setting and even if it did, it'd be an antiquity so likely even more rare. The Lee Enfield Mk.1 is a superb rifle but it isn't in production anymore. It shouldn't be anywhere near as common as it is in DayZ right now, let alone the special parts it would take to make it in to a low range sniper rifle (As a previous poster mentioned, scopes were fairly weak during the era of this rifle's use).

Edit: The problem with having a scope on the Mk. 1 Lee Enfield is that you have to have it high enough or forward enough that it will not interfere with the bolt action in any fashion. Unless I am mistaken, turning the bolt on a Lee Enfield almost changes the cylinder bolt's position 90 degrees upward and a scope interfering with that (like you have in the picture ninja has provided) you would have stove piped brass worst case scenario because it wouldn't clear the breach properly. So the scope would either need to be raised or more forward (I've never looked down a scope on a weapon before so I'm not sure how this would affect its use) and further away from the eye to allow the bolt action to properly clear and repeat.

Edited by DayZoey

In SA I'm going to paint my lee enfiled gold, write Xub3RX3l1t3Xsn1perX in tiger blue on it, attach a scope, and do 360 no scopes off the school house in electro. I'm going to pwn all the bitches. FEAR MY 12 year old pubescent voice over side chat!

• Like 1

In SA I'm going to paint my lee enfiled gold, write Xub3RX3l1t3Xsn1perX in tiger blue on it, attach a scope, and do 360 no scopes off the school house in electro. I'm going to pwn all the bitches. FEAR MY 12 year old pubescent voice over side chat!

this post is crazy good :D

The Enfield with a scope would be kinda overpowered, just sayin'...

I want to be able to tape half a binocular to it, not for actually shooting because it would be practically impossible. I just like the idea of being able to use a binocular without putting your weapon away.

Theoretically, that's a good idea. The problem is; mounting a scope that is not designed specifically for a specific type or group of weapons can result in inaccuracy and would really be hard to shoot realistically. Also, Binoculars usually don't have any aiming support on them :P

Sniping is unrealistic anyway... :) IRL you couldn't use a long range sniper rifle without zeroing and adapting the scope to your eye...

_Anubis _

Your point?

Ehhhh, I dunno, it's not likely there's be any No.4 Mk.1 (T)s in Chernarus, and the military scope mount for the Enfield won't accept your average optical sight without extra bits and pieces.

Would be nice to have a scoped Mosin since there are so many of those things being bubba'd every day. I wonder if the Russians like modding those rifles too... I don't think you'd be likely to find original WWII sniper rifles though, they cost!

What's with you and realistic stuff? The game isn't even realistic. (Point to everybody really)

Edited by Victus Mortuus

What's with you and realistic stuff? The game isn't even realistic. (Point to everybody really)

Because I don't think zombies should equal "throw all realism out the window".

Why a scoped Enfield? What's the difference between that and any other scoped rifle? The suggestion doesn't make sense to me, and if there should be a scoped WWII rifle it should be a Nagant.

• Like 1

Modular weapons are ALREADY CONFIRMED. Read the damn notes before making suggestions!

Because I don't think zombies should equal "throw all realism out the window".

Why a scoped Enfield? What's the difference between that and any other scoped rifle? The suggestion doesn't make sense to me, and if there should be a scoped WWII rifle it should be a Nagant.

Why should I take a shitty Japanese rifle over a tried-and-true British one? The Enfield saw Britain through WWI AND II.

Why should I take a shitty Japanese rifle over a tried-and-true British one? The Enfield saw Britain through WWI AND II.

The Nagant is a Soviet weapon, not Japanese. Also, Gews is making the point that when modular system is in place, the Lee Enfield should not accept any old scope (RIS system etc), due to it's unique rail mount.

That's assuming it's in SA in the first place.

The Nagant is a Soviet weapon, not Japanese. Also, Gews is making the point that when modular system is in place, the Lee Enfield should not accept any old scope (RIS system etc), due to it's unique rail mount.

That's assuming it's in SA in the first place.

Sorry, you're right. I was thinking of the Arisaka. Regardless, WW2 and before Russian weapons were not made for accuracy. I'd still take the Enfield over it.