fede042@gmail.com

DayZ Standalone Helmet Idea

Guys, the whole idea of the helmet is to reflect small arms fire. There's no way it can stop an M16 round or an AS50 shot. If materials like that existed, it would first be implemented into body armor. Anyways, that's besides the point. I'm just saying a helmet would be a good idea.

Oh but it has been ever heard of Dragonskin?http://www.pinnaclearmor.com/body-armor/dragon-skin/

I beg your pardon?

I believe he meant "stahlhelm", which was the helmet used by the Germans in WWII.

You know what, I want THIS mask, so I can chase everyone with a hatchet or a machete:

This seems more like something that would be in the other zombie game TBH.

• Like 1

but we do not speak of that game

Edited by Jimmy.

lol We dont wear helmets in the military because they look cool. Those helmets can allow you to survive a bullet to the head, noteably its not a bulletproof thing but it helps.

Oh but it has been ever heard of Dragonskin?http://www.pinnaclea...or/dragon-skin/

Dragonskin is kind of controversial.

Pro: lightest Level III armour, flexible, great coverage, impressive demonstrations

Con: sometimes doesn't stop rounds, failed DoD test, reports of scales detaching in Iraq

I was 1/5 serious when I posted that. Jason Voorhees, you know.

Dragonskin is kind of controversial.

Pro: lightest Level III armour, flexible, great coverage, impressive demonstrations

Con: sometimes doesn't stop rounds, failed DoD test, reports of scales detaching in Iraq

And yet high ranking officers and their followeres are rumored to have been wearing them...and some guy high above blocking it like they did with the M16 when they tried to give it to the military...it failed the test even before it was actually tested by the military... i say rumored because you can never trust what they say TV.

That stuff hasn't really been field tested yet, who knows maybe the shock behind that armor is greater because it doesn't use hard plates for protection. Soldiers who had plate carriers still had broken ribs due to the force.

BTT

You can't just grab any helmet put kevlar or a steel plate on it and say it's bullet proof. Helmets are designed for different purposes and that's what they are good at. In any case geting hit in the head with anything that is stopped by the helmet...apply enough force and you might end up with a severe headache or even worse. There is no jack of all trades device.

Give this helmet, a machete and drop me in Cherno. Let me play for an hour and then take my life !

2hrigyq.jpg

Nice topic O.P

A paintball mask?

EDIT: Another idea would be to make some sort of makeshift helmet made out of some sort of metal that could provide the same effect since it is in fact a zombie apocalypse.

ANOTHER EDIT: Also, to make it more balanced, make it so your sprinting speed is slower. You are in a helmet, which should lower your breathing capacity. Also, make your overall vision limited. For example, since it most likely has a visor, make it so the edges of your screen are cut off and you can only see through the visor. Also, make the visor a weak point if you could.

How would you work that metal into a helmet if it isn't preshaped? If it stops a bullet, it's going to be pretty thick so to shape it into a helmet, you'd have to heat it considerably.

I do like the idea of headgear obscuring part of your view though, this guy Darknut made a mod for Morrowind that did just that. The game has some crazy medieval helmets where you only look through a slit, not good for claustrophobics.

And really, no-one posted this one?

Spiked_German_Gloss__33010_zoom.jpg

Edited by BadLuckBurt

ballistics reports say that a 50 cal round fired from 400 metres would only penetrate as far as a couple of inches before the hair spits it back at twice the velocity... 2i1dx.jpg

Edited by (MUC) Feral

I honestly think this was mentioned before with different clothing items having different attributes. Like a kevlar vest over some clothing which will deflect some bullets but eventually it will wear and tare till there is pretty much nothing there to protect you. But having a lot of different variations of helmets that can do pretty much the same thing but some have better protection would be a good idea.

Yup, head wear should definitely block some of your view. Even the baseball cap we all wear now, you should be able to see the bill(?) at the top of your screen.

Even the baseball cap we all wear now, you should be able to see the bill(?) at the top of your screen.

tsss...

3rd person?

tsss...

3rd person?

I play on a 1st person only server, kinda forgot about that. Well the ACE mod for A2 still puts an overlay if 3rd person if you're wearing a gas mask, I'd say the same should be done for DayZ.

From what I understand, helmets are not designed to stop direct bullet hits, they are designed to stop shrapnel/ricochet. And the cases were people have been shot in the head and came out unscathed are extremely lucky. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

• Like 2

wow man. why the hell do you think their in the game. -_-

This

OP, having protective clothing/equipment is quite clearly going to be implemented in the SA. To what extent, who knows, but be assured there will be heli-pilot helmets/military helmets, riot police masks, bandanas. Not to also mention the durability system will take the clothing type (body armour vs leather jacket vs normal clothing) into account.

I don't think people would be running around in bike helmets to look cool...

helmets+riot gear, gasmasks and tear gas in the police station weapons cache ;)

• Like 1

helmets+riot gear, gasmasks and tear gas in the police station weapons cache ;)

So many pretty colours, I just had to give you beans :)

I also like your idea.

Many kevlar helmets, and I can only speak for the US Army, are designed to resist 9mm rounds point blank; but can be effective against larger rounds at longer distances. They are also testing an enhanced helmet to resist 7.62 rounds, which is more or less the largest common small arms round.

Edited by Dreygar

So many pretty colours, I just had to give you beans :)

I also like your idea.

why thank you SIRR :D