fede042@gmail.com

DayZ Standalone Helmet Idea

I've seen Rocket's new Devblog for March 8, and the motorcycle helmet bit kind of inspired me. I think we should put in some sort of helmet that can deflect/block small caliber rounds. The idea is for the bullet not to go through, but for the impact to maybe do 1k blood damage so it's not like some God helmet. It also should have durability, for example, 2 shots would cause it to break. There would also be a 10% chance of your character getting knocked out, and maybe a concussion (if implemented into the medical system) Also, your character's vision should be at least a little bit blurry, since he just experienced a shot to the head.

EDIT: Another idea would be to make some sort of makeshift helmet made out of some sort of metal that could provide the same effect since it is in fact a zombie apocalypse.

ANOTHER EDIT: Also, to make it more balanced, make it so your sprinting speed is slower. You are in a helmet, which should lower your breathing capacity. Also, make your overall vision limited. For example, since it most likely has a visor, make it so the edges of your screen are cut off and you can only see through the visor. Also, make the visor a weak point if you could.

Edited by fede032
  • Like 2

That's cool and everything but you didn't say what kind of helmet in the real world would produce those results. Any ideas?

• Like 1

No. To the blocking bullets thing. I don't know what kind of helmet does that.

But they'd be cool to have, though.

That's cool and everything but you didn't say what kind of helmet in the real world would produce those results. Any ideas?

http://tinyurl.com/a73wu8d

http://tinyurl.com/ad9btjc

http://tinyurl.com/at5mz8b

A form of Kevlar Helmet, it'd deflect some shots but it'd get worn out.

>Helmet spawns somewhere in Chernarus and can have health/durability between 33%-%100

>X amount of shots (differing damage from caliber & distance)

>If durability is between 50% and %75 there's a 25% chance of a bullet not stopping due to helmet

>If durability is between 1% and 50% 75%-90% chance of bullet not being stopped

Of course there's a way to gradually change the percentage such as 1% durability = 99% chance bullet will not be stopped - 99% durability 1% chance bullet will not be stopped. So Y (chance of bullet not being stopped) is = 100 - % of Durability.

Y = 100 - %D

The helmet would be a military spawn, and the same method could be used for things such as vest.

Edited by #Sleepy
  • Like 2

I think it would be a cool idea if you could get a paint

ball helmet. Mostly because they look badass and would look cool to wear

Edited by ARO

Give this helmet, a machete and drop me in Cherno. Let me play for an hour and then take my life !

2hrigyq.jpg

Nice topic O.P

• Like 3

http://tinyurl.com/a73wu8d

http://tinyurl.com/ad9btjc

http://tinyurl.com/at5mz8b

A form of Kevlar Helmet, it'd deflect some shots but it'd get worn out.

>Helmet spawns somewhere in Chernarus and can have health/durability between 33%-%100

>X amount of shots (differing damage from caliber & distance)

>If durability is between 50% and %75 there's a 25% chance of a bullet not stopping due to helmet

>If durability is between 1% and 50% 75%-90% chance of bullet not being stopped

Of course there's a way to gradually change the percentage such as 1% durability = 99% chance bullet will not be stopped - 99% durability 1% chance bullet will not be stopped. So Y (chance of bullet not being stopped) is = 100 - % of Durability.

Y = 100 - %D

The helmet would be a military spawn, and the same method could be used for things such as vest.

As long as it is deflecting small caliber rounds I can live with this its a good idea op

• Like 1

As long as it is deflecting small caliber rounds I can live with this its a good idea op and sleepy*

Fixed

I put a lot of brain power into that, it's not something I usually do >.<

Edited by #Sleepy

I think the deflecting small caliber weapons, such and side arm weapons is a good idea, even slowing some bigger rounds, up to a 5.56mm to cause some chance of reduced damage

• Like 2

Give this helmet, a machete and drop me in Cherno. Let me play for an hour and then take my life !

2hrigyq.jpg

Nice topic O.P

Looks like a PB helmet for an over-protective parent.

Tho i suppose it is a "helmet" and now that I think of it I Only own masks, but still... my original statement stands.

While watching the devblog it seemed kind of dumb that everyone is wearing the helmet. I do hope wearing something like that will have a downside.

For example some sort of vignette on your screen or maybe it would raise your temperature. Just so the players would take the helmet off occasionally.

wouldn't want dayz becoming TeamFortress2 :)

• Like 1

Any kind of helmet should have real-world capabilities... a motorcycle helmet shouldn't stop a bullet of any kind, and a Kevlar helmet should only stop the types of bullets a Kevlar helmet would actually stop. ANY rifle round is going to punch through it unless you're very lucky, and pistol rounds would cause blunt shock, concussions, even skull fractures or death depending on the round and what angle they struck at.

• Like 2

Any kind of helmet should have real-world capabilities... a motorcycle helmet shouldn't stop a bullet of any kind, and a Kevlar helmet should only stop the types of bullets a Kevlar helmet would actually stop. ANY rifle round is going to punch through it unless you're very lucky, and pistol rounds would cause blunt shock, concussions, even skull fractures or death depending on the round and what angle they struck at.

Yup. Most helmets, especially crash helmets are used to protect from blunt force trauma. That would include protection from zombie attack, vehicle crashes (obviously) and concussive effects from explosives. Crash helmets are mostly extruded polystyrene which is great for cushioning your head but sharp objects like bullets can pierce them easily. Even military combat helmets, although they are shaped to have as much reflective surface as possible, can't stop most bullets.

Guys, the whole idea of the helmet is to reflect small arms fire. There's no way it can stop an M16 round or an AS50 shot. If materials like that existed, it would first be implemented into body armor. Anyways, that's besides the point. I'm just saying a helmet would be a good idea.

Guys, the whole idea of the helmet is to reflect small arms fire. There's no way it can stop an M16 round or an AS50 shot. If materials like that existed, it would first be implemented into body armor. Anyways, that's besides the point. I'm just saying a helmet would be a good idea.

And I'm saying "fine, as long as it's realistically represented".

according to physics, you can block bullet with kind of kevlar, but... your neck will be broken.

You know what, I want THIS mask, so I can chase everyone with a hatchet or a machete:

e5jszs.jpg

• Like 1

STELHHELM

I beg your pardon?