mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

i can hug you Mr. Plank i grew a accustomed to your fine moustache..

• Like 2

Blah

You admitted you're a fanboi so it's not an insult or false accusation. Dunno why you think my argument regarding moderators etc etc involves you in an form though......

And no, I don't want a hug. I would however love to see you thinking for yourself, reading posts and then forming an opinion rather than skipping the first two steps.....

You admitted you're a fanboi so it's not an insult or false accusation. Dunno why you think my argument regarding moderators etc etc involves you in an form though......

And no, I don't want a hug. I would however love to see you thinking for yourself, reading posts and then forming an opinion rather than skipping the first two steps.....

i could also give you a hug, although you don't want one, but i demand one special gift in advance. it is your quest to figure out which one i long for!

• Like 1

You admitted you're a fanboi...

I said we are all biased here.

...so it's not an insult or false accusation.

It is an insult and the false accusation is right here.

Dunno why you think my argument regarding moderators etc etc involves you in an form though......

Because you start insulting me when I haven't even adressed you.

And no, I don't want a hug.

Your loss.

I would however love to see you thinking for yourself, reading posts and then forming an opinion rather than skipping the first two steps.....

Please give an example of me 'not thinking for myself'. No, don't talk your way out of it, it's a challenge.

• Like 1

Herbster, I actually agree with some of your points and I'm constantly aware we walk a fine line, sometimes I think we cross that line too but I think most of us are mature enough to appologise when we mess up. I think most people can see that when we're posting it's usually just our personal opinions. I know what you mean about our mod status meaning some people think our words carry more weight, I personally don't think they do, our opinions are no more valid than anyone elses whether they have 1 post or 1000 posts.

It's not really the messing up that's the problem - it's infrequent and we're all human - the problem is that if Fred Bloggs posted as a moderator his words would carry more weight than if he posted as a normal user. Far less to older forum users, but to new forum users Freds words would would be held in greater esteem - purely because there were written by a moderator.

It's not really the messing up that's the problem - it's infrequent and we're all human - the problem is that if Fred Bloggs posted as a moderator his words would carry more weight than if he posted as a normal user. Far less to older forum users, but to new forum users Freds words would would be held in greater esteem - purely because there were written by a moderator.

On that I agree but I'm honestly not sure what the answer is. Having two accounts would make me feel slightly deceitful TBH, we would also run the risk of being accused of abusing our positions by moderating threads to suit us. At least as it is now we're accountable for everything we say.

The only other option would be to stop us posting our own personal views once we become mods but if that were the case we would have no mods, if I had to choose or be censored then I'd drop my mod status in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Your a Vic, you cant talk mate :P

Btw I'm pretty sure that Port kicked Melbourne's ass :D

Actually i am a West Australian.

Season over already for me.

Blah

I said we are all biased here.

It is an insult and the false accusation is right here.

Because you start insulting me when I haven't even adressed you.

Your loss.

Please give an example of me 'not thinking for myself'. No, don't talk your way out of it, it's a challenge.

From your post all your quotes came from 10:40, yet all I said was Blah and didn't edit the post. It's late and I CBA replying to you if you can't BA to quote me correctly.

Please say how I'm biased.

was there anything in particular why you're so annoyed about that fact?

because when i was new to this forum i relatively quick figured out what is just subjective talk and what is mod duty. i also never encountered any form of abusive behaviour... so what is bugging you really?

On that I agree but I'm honestly not sure what the answer is. Having two accounts would make me feel slightly deceitful TBH, we would also run the risk of being accused of abusing our positions by moderating threads to suit us. At least as it is now we're accountable for everything we say.

The only other option would be to stop us posting our own personal views once we become mods but if that were the case we would have no mods, if I had to choose or be censored then I'd drop my mod status in a heartbeat.

Yeah, on reflection it is really tough. hey ho - life would be boring it it was easy lol!

Actually i am a West Australian.

Season over already for me.

hey...i heard that "Inspector Rex" is still quite the deal in your country? is that so and why? i demand a youtube dayz sa gameplay, the day dogs will be implemented! you're welcome...

;)

Maybe we could have a "speaking officially" custom bbcode only available to moderators that highlights the post when used. That way mods can use that when speaking officially and otherwise just post normally.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 2

was there anything in particular why you're so annoyed about that fact?

because when i was new to this forum i relatively quick figured out what is just subjective talk and what is mod duty. i also never encountered any form of abusive behaviour... so what is bugging you really?

Not want to sound funny but what you said was your own personal opinion, which you're totally entitled to convey. You didn't try and be objective at all, which what I was trying to do.

Maybe we could have a "speaking officially" custom bbcode only available to moderators that highlights the post when used.

As long as it wasn't displayed in a dark font that could only been seen with NVG's or turning gamma up.......

Not want to sound funny but what you said was your own personal opinion, which you're totally entitled to convey. You didn't try and be objective at all, which what I was trying to do.

wait what?! so you basically told me now ...that i asked you something which is my own subjective question and therefore it was not objective? if you can handle some cynicism: the hell are you drinking tonight?!? XD

Edited by joe_mcentire

Maybe we could have a "speaking officially" custom bbcode only available to moderators that highlights the post when used. That way mods can use that when speaking officially and otherwise just post normally.

Hmm, not sure about that one, it could work. I just make it very clear by the tone of my post when I switch to "mod mode". For the most part it seems to work.

wait what?! so you basically told me now ...that i asked you something which is my own subjective question and therefore it was not objective? if you can handle some cynicism: the hell are you drinking tonight?!? XD

Take this as a bowing down before you in apology - I got my posts mixed up!!

To give you a better idea (I'm sure someone could come up with something that looks better and makes its meaning clearer though)

30lmjok.png

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 1

I think this thread is actually a good example of how relaxed moderating can work. If I wanted to be a dick or a nazi mod I could have just told everyone to shut up and stay on topic but that would be boring and it'd just result in some frustrated members and even more people crossing me off their Xmas card list.

• Like 2

To give you a better idea (I'm sure someone could come up with something that looks better though)

2qx4acg.png

I'm liking your idea more and more. The colour would need to be chosen carefully though so that peeps using the old format could still read the text. It'd also make us think more about what we posted when we switch to mod mode and might clear up that grey area between us just chatting and us being a mod.

Edited by Fraggle

hey...i heard that "Inspector Rex" is still quite the deal in your country? is that so and why? i demand a youtube dayz sa gameplay, the day dogs will be implemented! you're welcome...

;)

I have never seen Inspector Rex but i do know us Aussies get attached to random foreign shows, long after they have finished in their country of origin.

When i was a lad we were all hooked on a show called Monkey (from China) and The Goodies.

As for all this talk about suppressing our opinions just because we are moderators. I don't consider my opinion on matters to hold anymore weight than anyone else just because my name is blue. We don't hold any official opinions on any matter - we aren't part of the DayZ Dev team or staff, we just voluntarily man the forums. I consider these forums quite a fun and open place and i think the mods and everyone else makes that so. If mods became Robo-Mods and lay down the law at every infraction this forum would die. As Fraggle said, Rocket would rather this forum be the Wild West than Big Brother (the book, not the frigging show!).

I just consider myself part of the DayZ community and pretty much behave exactly the same as i did when i was a forum poster - i just have to bite my tongue every now and then and try not to be a complete dick. A little dick sometimes, but not a complete one.

Anyway....dev blog soon anyone??

• Like 2

I'm liking your idea more and more. The colour would need to be chosen carefully though so that peeps using the old format could still read the text. It'd also make us think more about what we posted when we switch to mod mode and might clear up that grey area between us just chatting and us being a mod.

no because change is / has always been / will ever be bad!

what has change ever brought to mankind?!

Edited by joe_mcentire

The Aquaduct

EDIT - This opinion is NOT, i repeat NOT officially endorsed by anyone associated with BI or DayZ

Edited by DemonGroover
  • Like 1

You make me sick. You with your self pleasing cyan names being all flamboyant and shit...peacocks!!

;)

• Like 3