mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 8th March

every single game i followed during development phase was accused at some point or other that communication was sketchy, unprofessional, or even worse.

in most cases the team had nothing that they would percieve as newsworthy, they had boring code monkey stuff, like "hey, we managed to optimize the netcode and finally fixed that memory leak, oh and you wouldnt know, but we had that bug that caused that funny segmentation fault exception - we could finally reproduce it, its connected to that serialization issue that gave us so many headaches"

no pwetty pictahs, no funny videoz.

i am absolutely positive they dont sit on their thumbs but work on the game. even with dean absent. could they communicate better? they sure could. but they are for the most part experts in game development, not in marketing und public relations. and thats cool.

just chill, news will come eventually.

Edited by e47
  • Like 4

[...]I don't think Rocket should ever have commited to a weekly devblog without the intention of following it through. I was expecting some to be late or even missed completely but they haven't even come close to doing it.[...]

I have to agree. Don't tease if you can't deliver. Thats just bad form and asking for an interwebz riot.

Edited by ZuluActual

Interwebz riot...

5arprs.jpg

...shit has gone crazy.

• Like 6

See thats what you get for trying to be creative and avoid overstrained terms such as shitstorm. Also I like your picture. Whats the context ?

See thats what you get for trying to be creative and avoid overstrained terms such as shitstorm. Also I like your picture. Whats the context ?

It's an internet riot.

• Like 3

When the hell will we get an update!?

On the glass/liquid discussion.

When the hell will we get an update!?

On the glass/liquid discussion.

I fear DayZ will be released before we ever truly know if glass is a liquid or not.

• Like 1

Actually, the 'liquid glass' thing it's real:

LiquidGlass_LuxuryCat.jpg?width=600

begone foul beast.

This post will soon make no sense.

• Like 1

begone foul beast.

This post will soon make no sense.

Dont worry ill make you make sense, uhh Yearg! off with me! or ye or something like that.

• Like 1

Rocket, you should develop something that the people want. What's the point in making it for yourself and what you want? Selfish if you ask me. It would be like walking into a store that only sells one type of pop and you asking "Hey why isn't there any other types here?" and the owner says "because I only like this kind." You could and would increase profit/popularity if you develop what the PEOPLE want not what you want.

Rocket, you should develop something that the people want. What's the point in making it for yourself and what you want? Selfish if you ask me. It would be like walking into a store that only sells one type of pop and you asking "Hey why isn't there any other types here?" and the owner says "because I only like this kind." You could and would increase profit/popularity if you develop what the PEOPLE want not what you want.

I thought he was develping something that we wanted? Explain please :P

Many thousands like the game as rocket is making it.

Edited by Zarniwoop

He is.

*shrug*

It would be pointless me trying to make the game you want, because I only know the game I want. I'm making that game, based on what you said, I don't think you will enjoy the standalone. There's nothing wrong with that at all. And yes, the video is poorly done and unprofessional. But it was published within hours of capture and didn't hide anything. Objective achieved. I'm happy with that, we enjoy making the videos it turns what is normally a chore into a fun little extra task.

There you go.

I agree with rocket! The game he wants to make caters a majority of the DayZ fans out there. It is impossible to please everyones' tastes and whims.

• Like 1

There you go.

I'm not really sure what your point is? Maybe he's not making the game you want but there's many thousands of us that want a hardcore survival game. Almost every game released by the large dev companies is aimed at the mass market to keep everyone happy. All that really results in is a game that lacks focus and caters to the lowest common demoninator.

• Like 3

I really like Rocket and his team's work, but they REALLY should have a better communication with consumers, because they're being almost as bad as the WarZ """""dev""""" team on that point.

because they're being almost as bad as the WarZ """""dev""""" team on that point.

Someone has to draw a line somewhere on this communication issue; I think this passes the line.

Whilst there should have probably been better handling of the communication with the DayZ community (be it right here, Reddit, Twitter or DayZ Devblog updates), they are still of a professional calibre that is uncomparable with The WarZ. Those guys are otherworldy, in regards to communication and PR practice.

• Like 2

I really like Rocket and his team's work, but they REALLY should have a better communication with consumers, because they're being almost as bad as the WarZ """""dev""""" team on that point.

are you living on the moon? If you think this is bad communication take a look at Darkfall Online Forums. That is bad communication.

• Like 1

Making a game that YOU like is the first step in making a game that people will like. Thinking about what people are supposed to like (which is different from your own taste) is not a good idea in my opinion.

This post made me a little sad. Remember people, never try to accomplish anything for yourself! Always work towards being rich and popular! If you have any visions or goals, drop them, they won't make you popular! And never try to create anything new; always cater to bland, generic genre to maximise profit and popularity!

• Like 5

Making a game that YOU like is the first step in making a game that people will like. Thinking about what people are supposed to like (which is different from your own taste) is not a good idea in my opinion.

Obviously. Rocket did in DayZ Mod what he liked, and obviously that was pretty close to what people like. DayZ is probably the only game that gave me that much immersion, it's pretty unique.

Well, I think we're all agreed that communication could be better but comparing them to HP as just silly.

Well, I think we're all agreed that communication could be better but comparing them to HP as just silly.

I have to agree. Nobody should be compared to HP, even City Interactive devs.

Right I don't have the time to be able to do a full dev blog update, however here is an update in brief

- At the moment I am following up from meetings at PAX/GDC, keeping Dean updated with development progress, keeping external artists tasked, Ivan Buchta (The Lord Mayor of Chernarus) is helping me a large amount on the design side while Dean is away.

- Our Programmers are still working on the client/server architecture, radios/VOIP and solving several bugs.

- In house art cell are working on path lods in buildings to improve zombies movement in buildings and texture passes on assests.

- External art cell, working on a couple of weapons, some more clothing items and some items.

- Our animation cell, are working through a backlog of animations we want to do.

- SenChi with the help of Ivan are going through existing towns now and making improvements through changing layouts slightly and such.

I'm sorry for the lack of communication, I've just been exceptionally busy.

• Like 17