Xianyu

New 'suggestion' board

Suggesting a new 'suggestions' board to replace this one. Right now, it's a simple board style, except it has a single major flaw.

The good ideas don't get looked at. Or, more accurately, the 'tame' ideas don't get nearly as much face time as the controversial one. For instance: make a suggestion to add the M4A1 Holographic as rare loot in normal military loot tables. Not a bad idea. Gets one or two responses saying 'yeah, that'd be pretty cool'.

Make a post about adding tanks and APC's to the vehicle table. You get that thread on the front page for days while people constantly bump it with 'are you fucking crazy?' replies.

I'm suggesting a upvote/downvote system for suggestions, instead of just beans and replies. The ones with the highest 'ratings' are the ones that are AT LEAST decent ideas, whereas the ones with shit ratings are pretty much guaranteed to be troll posts or shite ideas.

Because what is this board for? Suggesting things for the game! That's a GOOD GOAL. But it's not such a good system when decent ideas are buried in a flood of shite that gets more responses and more attention for BEING shite.

• Like 13

Do you have any good IPB plugins in mind? I'm familiar with vBulletin overall so I'm not sure if a feature like this exists for IPB, iit would be a great feature.

What makes you think that an idea that only got one or two replies would get more up-votes? :S

If it is a good idea, then people will comment more on it.

What makes you think that an idea that only got one or two replies would get more up-votes? :S

It doesn't necessarily have to be up votes but perhaps a star rating 1-5 at least if only one or two people look at an idea and think its great they'd vote it 5 stars that way it'd be nearer the top where as an idea with 1 star voted down by a large range of people would be buried, it would give the community a vote on potential things they'd like to see.

I think divide and conquer is the only chance to handle a project that big.

Threads that handle different, specific, issues. One at a time, where everyone can participate.

Then browsing through the entire thing, taking out all the suggestions and making it into a survey

And using the survey data, to evaluate how strong individual suggestions are favored by the community.

Downside: it's a shitload of work, and whenever I tried to implement that anywhere, I ended up being the one browsing through everything myself...

I'm playing with the Idea for a system for discussion, that is based on single expressions that can be referred to, validated and commmented in a multidimensional tree for a while now, but so far I cannot completely get my head around it. so many dimensions.

https://dev-heaven.net/projects/dayz << i thought we had one already :-)

Isn't that rather for bugs, than for suggestions?

I disagree.

The posts that get the most comments and bumps are the ones that are that gets tons of suggestions on 'no, how about THIS?'

Look at the front page right now.

The highest-commented posts are: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/122280-they-should-make-single-player-for-dayz-standalone/ Which is full of people saying 'what are you even doing?'

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125449-how-to-handle-property-the-issue-when-being-offline/ which has spirited debate on the premise.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125207-weapon-damage-general-discussion/ which was a discussion about replacing the Makarov PM with the Makarov PMM, but has now devolved into a debate about gun damage.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/124876-replace-m107as50-with-less-effective-russian-equivalent/ My own thread that is about replacing the M107 and AS50 with something less effective and has many posts just saying 'that gun is old and wouldn't fit' and a bunch of other meaningless posts.

This general pattern stretches back across the entire forum. The good ideas just don't get attention. There is no universally agreed-upon idea that gets more than two pages of replies because after the first three '+1' posts, no one else wants to reiterate what was already said.

I made a suggestion about changing the way loot was distributed. Not one person had a bad thing to say about it. Five replies.

Suggestion by someone else to nerf the 5.56 millimeter weapons? Five PAGES of replies. Mainly people saying 'no.' or saying stuff about the weapons that do 8000 blood damage.

When was the last time you saw a 'good' suggestion with more than three pages of replies? And how many times since then did you see a shit idea get 5 pages of replies?

Even a 'sort by bean count' would be an awesome addition. But right now, if you look for good ideas by looking at the amount of replies (which is sensible, given it's the only measure available) then you shit out of luck.

• Like 1

I disagree.

The posts that get the most comments and bumps are the ones that are that gets tons of suggestions on 'no, how about THIS?'

Look at the front page right now.

The highest-commented posts are: http://dayzmod.com/f...ayz-standalone/ Which is full of people saying 'what are you even doing?'

http://dayzmod.com/f...-being-offline/ which has spirited debate on the premise.

http://dayzmod.com/f...ral-discussion/ which was a discussion about replacing the Makarov PM with the Makarov PMM, but has now devolved into a debate about gun damage.

http://dayzmod.com/f...ian-equivalent/ My own thread that is about replacing the M107 and AS50 with something less effective and has many posts just saying 'that gun is old and wouldn't fit' and a bunch of other meaningless posts.

This general pattern stretches back across the entire forum. The good ideas just don't get attention. There is no universally agreed-upon idea that gets more than two pages of replies because after the first three '+1' posts, no one else wants to reiterate what was already said.

I made a suggestion about changing the way loot was distributed. Not one person had a bad thing to say about it. Five replies.

Suggestion by someone else to nerf the 5.56 millimeter weapons? Five PAGES of replies. Mainly people saying 'no.' or saying stuff about the weapons that do 8000 blood damage.

When was the last time you saw a 'good' suggestion with more than three pages of replies? And how many times since then did you see a shit idea get 5 pages of replies?

Even a 'sort by bean count' would be an awesome addition. But right now, if you look for good ideas by looking at the amount of replies (which is sensible, given it's the only measure available) then you shit out of luck.

Or even my "Craftable Crossbow Arrows" idea! Ah forget it... I just craft my own crossbow arrows irl and have no crossbow to fire it with. : I

P.S: I am not a self-promoting whore. I just thought my idea was really good, and so did everyone else that posted in the thread.

I'll leave this thread alone forever now... :blush:

Edited by Scott Pilgrim

This is the best idea I've seen in the suggestion forum in a good while.

People do make a lot more comments on things they dislike than on things they like, myself no exception. This often results in arguments and drama, which keeps the whole thing firmly at the top of the forum.

Great idea.

Edited by Max Planck

that sounds easier to implement

I don't know whether such plugins exist for this style of messageboard, but if this idea is to be taken into account it should be an option, and it shouldnt be the default.

Being a forum, it makes sense for the more recently added and discussed topics to be the first listed.

A rating system would be handy for anyone who wants to check the most popular suggestions, sure, but there's no guarantee the system would be used by everyone, which would render it pretty pointless IMO.

More filters in the search options (RE: Bean count) would allow the "good" ideas from months past to be brought to light without having to ret-con all old posts into a rating system.

EDIT:

If anyone has any opinion, while I'm on the topic.

Is it worse to create new topics on old subjects, or necro old threads?

Folk get bitched at for both.

Edited by Chabowski

My view is, tick system doesn't encourage debate.

By responding in a forum thread, you are at least validating what your opinion is on the matter and more importantly why you hold that view.

Tick system in this context encourages laziness. Too easy for lazy user to look at the title and vote without knowing what contents of thread are. In present system, if user makes useless post without reading thread then they are quite rightly called out on it.

User could vote on 30 topics, all within the space of 1 minute. Has that person really read and understood the ideas?

Edited by Horde

Maybe just introduce filtering based on bean counts; BUT only OP bean count! Would be kind of useless to count all the beans on a "shitty idea" response...

He is right.

When i look for information on the internet(forums), it's hard to find some, why?

When people got the information they need, 90% or something never returns to say it helped them.

You only see the negatief message's from people on the forum, and mostley it's bitching how they don't like the idea of help from that guy.

That's the problem though, people don't SEE the idea, because unless they log in at the right time, the thread slips down the page because everyone's too busy telling some guy that DayZ doesn't need T72s. The problem is, a really good, well-thought-through idea doesn't leave much for people to say except 'yeah, that's a good idea', whereas an idiotic, poorly-conceived idea will sit there for days while people try to explain to the OP exactly why his idea sucks a giant bag of donkey dongs.

• Like 1

Have the mods create a pinned "best ideas" thread with a constantly updated list of ideas and links to the original threads. Based solely off of the general interest of the public, and what the trusted mods/devs feel is a good idea. Wont solve everything, but its a starting point.

Locked of course so only mods and devs can add to it.

Have the mods create a pinned "best ideas" thread with a constantly updated list of ideas and links to the original threads. Based solely off of the general interest of the public, and what the trusted mods/devs feel is a good idea. Wont solve everything, but its a starting point.

Locked of course so only mods and devs can add to it.

'Best ideas' is a bit too subjective to leave to just a few people to decide. It would kind of go against the idea of an open suggestion forum.

• Like 1

'Best ideas' is a bit too subjective to leave to just a few people to decide. It would kind of go against the idea of an open suggestion forum.

I completely agree, however the op seemed to want a more organized way of seeing the popular and good ideas sorted while remaining highly visible and easily accessible.

My suggestion was just a way to do this right now quick and easy like without major changes to the board.

If everyone feels that its too subjective to go about it that way, then some sort of voting system is the only way to go?

If everyone feels that its too subjective to go about it that way, then some sort of voting system is the only way to go?

I believe a voting system was the original suggestion.

....and my response was suggesting a alternative to that. (yay we've gone full circle!)

It's a large board with many good posters and great ideas and being rather new here I would really like to see a collective of the best ideas that may have escaped my eye. You will have to excuse my impatience but if a voting system or something similar will take some time to implement or get put on the back burner while other (more pressing) things are attended to, then my suggestion was something that actually could have been started and nearly finished already.

Perhaps an alternative could be a stickied weekly/monthly 'cool ideas' thread (or similar) in which ideas with potential for debate and discussion beyond how horrible an idea it is could be featured. It wouldn't require a drastic rehaul of the existing system, and it would still be a good way of ensuring good ideas are kept in the public eye rather than buried on page 3.