dgeesio

can we please stop donations for gear servers !

BMRF.ME has something similar, but the packages are things like "Compass, map, golder revolver", so nothing extremely major.

I currently pay $50 a month for a VPS through 1and1.com (used to be their $70 variant), and had a one time $5 white-listing fee. I took nothing for myself from that payment: It went directly into the monthly cost of the VPS, which I would regularly show to the community. You'd be amazed at how well it kept the hackers out (only 4-5 incidents in a 6 month period if I recall correctly), and the server received enough funding for ~6 months of usage.

That all being said, my personal opinion is that it's stupid to pay X amount of dollars for an AS50/Max Gear/Etc. People who do so don't realize that they are essentially playing ARMA 2 at that point xD

Sadly the only populated servers with a decent ping I can find sell G17's/AKM's and other crap to donators. So it's not as completely avoidable as some may say.

That and my favorite server (a lingor one that was heavily populated) is now hackslapped twice if not more a day, and is basically unplayable due to rollbacks happening 24/7.

So yes I agree this whole donating for loot crap should be removed.

If people are motivated to hand over money for a leg up in a video game, who is to stop them? Desperation for advantage, reward without effort, instant gratification ... none of them are crimes in themselves, but they sure are ugly.

It reminds me of deliberately playing no-pay when trying Battlefield: Play4Free, mainly because of the challenge and amusement of humiliating pay-to-win players.

Honestly it doesn't matter if someone pays for items. I personally am against it but private hive servers have the freedom to do as they wish.

I wish that dayz commander had a more detailed server browser. It would be nice if we could filter out the custom starting gear servers. All too often I hop into a server and spawn with an M4 off the beach.. pisses me right off

If people are motivated to hand over money for a leg up in a video game, who is to stop them?

It's this exact type of mentality that caused EA games to decide to implement microtransactions into EVERY SINGLE GAME THEY WORK ON / WITH. LOL.

News just came in today, read it if you don't believe me (though you most likely will since its EA games, lol): http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-27-ea-putting-micro-transactions-into-all-of-our-games

And while it's just EA games today, who's to say what companies won't follow suite tomorrow? GG WP sheeple. Disregarding / not reporting a crime is considering condoning it, so to speak. You condone microtransactions in every possible game? No. Just no. XD

There are other ways of supporting a game / server than getting a leg up on what should be fair grounds..

Edited by bonesnap

It's this exact type of mentality that caused EA games to decide to implement microtransactions into EVERY SINGLE GAME THEY WORK ON / WITH. LOL.

And while it's just EA games today, who's to say what companies won't follow suite tomorrow? GG WP.

On disk DLC too.

"Pay 10 dollars for this DLC pack that adds new weapons and maps"

**Looks at the file size**

"47kb????? FFUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!.."

The server I play on does something different. It still asks for donations, but instead of getting items spawned for you, an admin will tell you where an item it, or the general area. For example, say 10 dollars gets you an AR whenever you want. The admin spawns a crate with an AR in it in a hidden location and tells the guy to go to some town's outskirts and find it there.

I just totally avoid private hives that say 9999+ vehicles, starting loot, etc. anyway. Why would I pay money to ruin the game for myself? Gear in dayz is meaningless if not found, it has no value. Unless you shoot a hacker in the back and take his gun. Then it's pretty well earned.

I learned a long time ago that cheating in games totally ruins the fun. The last game I used cheats in single player was Quake II (1997). Donor perks are just a semi legit way of cheating, but if that's what floats yer boat then sure, but you won't catch me on your server.

• Like 1

Don't understand the fuss - if I don't like a server's policy, I don't play there. If people want to play on it, that's their call, but as long as I'm not forced to, I don't care. Like Box pointed out, it keeps the idiots off the servers I like to play on.

This.

_Anubis_

I honestly don't understand people who would pay more than the full game actually costs just to spawn with a bit more stuff. It makes no sense to me... donations are one thing, pay to win is another. I don't really consider these payments "donations".

We are considering starting something like this for my clan's private hive, but instead of buying weapons it would buy stuff like skins (pay $xx and get camo clothing, etc.) excluding ghillies and actual humanity skins since we can't spawn those, or other minor things like spawning with an extra bandage or a thing of morphine, so basically for aesthetics and a bit of extra help for starting out in terms of defense, not offense. Any money we would make would either go into the hive rental or website and everything else would go back into the community as prizes for our Survival GameZ events, and I have no problems with us potentially operating like this. The problem is when people take this concept and plug in weapons. If you want to start out with that much gear to PvP, which is what I imagine most people who buy AS50s do, go play Wasteland or vanilla ArmA. You don't actually have to pay for your weapons there.

Edited by Col Brown

haha thing is for eg last night the server i went on a guy was donating like 15 quid a month just so he gets as50s on respawn

so imagine a very busy server they making a mint not just paying for servers its a joke !

if these files and such wer locked down or made so peopl doing this couldnt do thes servrs then it wouldnt happen. or maybe th server could be blacklisted private or not !

some will say let em be fleeced thing is as more and more do it it will become more common place until it is normal practice. nip it in the bud early

was hoping a dev may shed some light on whethr this will be possible in standalone

The only way this will be possible in stand alone if private hives are implemented as if you're hosting your own hive you can alter the database anyway you want (at the moment anyway) but due to the scripts problem hopefully being eradicated then there shouldn't be a high demand for just private hives as public servers should run smoothly, the public hive can't be altered by server admins.

so private hives will be able to be altered in standalone?

if that is true then this will conitnue along with my first pet hate which is admins abusing power and being able to check in logs where you are where your gear is spawn themselves or people they want loot in :(

was really hoping this would be locked down for standalone sick of admins abusing the power they have to win. thing is public hives ar okay if hacks are under control but as with dayz now it isnt will it be in standalone who knows? . very worrying indeed .

please ask or devs if you watching do not let admins touch the files so this abuse continues or even th possiblitiy of it happening.

what some also dont seem to get its not a well dont play on that server if its buy your weapons its the if one does it then more will do it mentality which then means any more popular busier srvers will do it as they ll make alot of money ! imagine 50-60 man servers full 24/7 with donaters you can make a mint. profit for bad thought out process is not good. lock it down.

Edited by dgeesio

FIrst off, good servers are not cheap. You are not going to go to a server host and purchase a 50 player server that doesnt lag out at 45-50 players for $30-$35/month.

Dedicated boxes are expensive, $150 a month for a good one that will not lag out with 50 players on it.

Second, you have a choice, if you do not like someone spawning with an AS50 then dont play on a server that allows it. I would not be playing on that server!

My server is in discussion about donations. We will not offer main weapons as part of our perks packages, unless you consider an Axe a main weapon. We will not offer top end gear, no Coyote Backpack, no GPS, No NVG, No Rangefinders, No PDW-SD(yes we have these), No Main weapons.

If you are totally against donations for perks, show your favorite server some $ love, for just being a good damn server!

ive got no problem with donating to your fav server what i have a problem with is selling them weapons to donate ;)

your not asking for donations you are selling them !

also i dont know who you hosting your server with but it costs nowhere near that much even for a good server that wont lag with 50-60 on 24/7 i should no ive ran gaming servers best part of 12 years now :lol:

Edited by dgeesio

To each their own in life. I have found over the years not everyone has the same affinity as me. I used to raid for hours upon hours in wow I had the best gear there was to get. But I am partially near full disabled so I can not do athletic stuff. Many people don't have the time skill or patients. So I say if it gets them playing and it gets rocket popularity.Then let them BE let them have their private hives and their special load outs. Some people are weekend warriors.Some people have 15 minutes before a work shift. Find a server that fits you and stop crying.

• Like 1

You have 7000 servers to play on. Get over it. Find one that suits your needs and don't complain about what the other servers do.

I Ctrl+F three pages and nobody said Balota Buddies?

Multiple servers in the US, AU and EU and no pay to win. Rolling out custom skins for high level donators but no gear, no items, nothing that is not cosmetic.

Pay to win is how the most popular servers seem to run these days, and you just have to find people who don't do it.