Sign in to follow this  
zasin

Please add Jumping into DayZ

Hi!

I have played both DayZ and WarZ and of course I enjoy to play DayZ the most. But if there is one thing that would make DayZ alot more fun and realistic is to add in jumping. Jumping straight up, forward, backward, the side. You get the point. This is just a suggestion and I think alot more people want it in as well.

This is just my opinion and view, but I would REALY love to see a jumping future in the DayZ Standalone.

No Bunny hops please...

But still something very basic for going over fences quicker would be cool.

Hi!

...realistic... ...Jumping backward...

Could you post a video in which you are jumping backwards?

• Like 4

I think they've started that way with the 'combat roll' animation, and the 'vault' animation is already in there - I'd imagine that the animations for both will be smoothed out considerably for the standalone.

However, both of those can be used for hopping fences, and aside from that, I can't really see too many situations where jumping is really going to be necessary? All I can see is it leading to bunnyhoppers and doorframe campers, both of whom can go die in a fiery pit.

There is a jump key in DayZ.

V

You just don't jump 2 bodylengths when running, perform a slam dunk, or bunny hop. Is it slower than a regular "jump"? Yes. But even a freerunner does not jump unless there is an obstacle, and V serves the purpose of getting over any obstacle that a jump button with REALISTIC jumping would get you over.

Climbing, though. Grabbing the tops of those 7 foot fences and dragging yourself up and over. That would be useful.

A movement system like we have in battlefield 3 would be the most optimal as that game has made the 'touch' you get in with the character as good as it can be. The vaulting and strafing feels etc. feels perfect IMO so if we could get a fluent vaulting system like that I would be a happy survivor

No Bunny hops please...

But still something very basic for going over fences quicker would be cool.

1. Make jumps use up stamina

2. No weapon usage while jumping

3. Jump key also lets you vault and climb

4. Realistic jump height

And that would be awesome.

4. Realistic jump height

They eliminated bunnyhopping quite well in planetside2. You can jump once like normal, the second jump slows your movement like 50%, thrid by another 50% and after about 4 jumps you aren't really moving anymore. With stamina and it affecting your jumpiness I see this working out pretty great. We'll see what kind of survivor animations they gonna mocap in the next couple of weeks

Edited by Uuni

----NO----

JUMPING

It would make combat stupid and it just looks dumb. I've seen videos of WarZ and people hop around in combat making little "houp! houp!" sounds like retarded frogs. Jumping is fine for games which are not supposed to be realistic, but it doesn't belong in DayZ or realistic milsims.

All they need to do is speed up the vault animation so it is faster and smoother, no one pauses that long to hop over something.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 4

Yeah - playing WoW once i was instantly put off by all the damn fools jumping around everywhere.

Oh for an Mk 48 at that point, would have made the game so much more interesting.

----NO----

JUMPING

It would make combat stupid and it just looks dumb. I've seen videos of WarZ and people hop around in combat making little "houp! houp!" sounds like retarded frogs. Jumping is fine for games which are not supposed to be realistic, but it doesn't belong in DayZ or realistic milsims.

All they need to do is speed up the vault animation so it is faster and smoother, no one pauses that long to hop over something.

So jumping doesn't have a place in a realistic game?

...What? :huh:

I think small jumps are fine - just not the huge bunny hops we see in other games. Hurdling is ok as long as it is realistic.

So jumping doesn't have a place in a realistic game?

Try this: get up and jump in the air. Seriously, try it.

Why would anyone do that unless they were playing basketball? Random jumping doesn't belong in DayZ because [A] there's absolutely no reason to do it and it will likely be abused and immersion-breaking.

We have the vault animation which is a form of jumping, all they need to do is make it more fluid. No one vaults in combat but I can easily see people hopping around like in every other game with jumping. There's a reason Bohemia never added jumping to ArmA!

• Like 1

I'm hoping we'll see a smoother vault animation, adding a specific jump animation it just make everyone act like idle wow players.

Why would anyone do that unless they were playing basketball? Random jumping doesn't belong in DayZ because [A] there's absolutely no reason to do it and it will likely be abused and immersion-breaking.

We have the vault animation which is a form of jumping, all they need to do is make it more fluid. No one vaults in combat but I can easily see people hopping around like in every other game with jumping. There's a reason Bohemia never added jumping to ArmA!

It wouldn't be too hard to discourage players from using it in combat. I was thinking it could be used for jumping over gaps, say, from one rooftop to another, if you manage to get to a rooftop. As long as you can't shoot while jumping, and can't jump great distances as many times as you want, I don't see why it shouldn't be added.

• Like 2

It's never going to be necessary to jump when fences can be vaulted and there's not a single crevasse you need to cross.

Ideally we'd have some sort of "context-sensitive" jumping and climbing, but I expect that's just a pipe-dream.

If we had streams/rivers and punji-pits there might be a need to jump occasionally, but as it is, a freestanding "jump" is entirely pointless.

IMO it is not necessery at all, I haven't found a single place where you would actually need to jump to get to a specific area. The map is just not thought to support jumping at all.

So it's no for me, until we have a new map with more urban areas and rooftops and stuff placed around so you would actually have reasons to jump.

If it can be done in a realistic way , based on encumbrance and stamina , then I would be all for it .

If you are carrying nothing , you could do several decent jumps before being out of breath . If you are carrying a full pack and weapons , forget about jumping in any meaningful way .

There's no reason to do it? So when I'm getting chased by zombies, I would stop completely, slowly go over a 1 foot fence, and then start sprinting after? Yeah, super realistic. And it's not a valid reason for jumping at all :rolleyes:

And what makes you automatically think it'll be abused? Do you really think the devs would be so fucking stupid to do nothing to balance it out? Think.

4. Realistic jump height

Agree

4. Realistic jump height

As long as "Stamina" wont make us walk a painstakingly slow pace like in WARZ alright but if its like WARZ fuck that, I hate taking 2 hours to get 10 feet because the movement system is so fucked.

Uh, considering that once you've got basic gear and supplies, you're looking at your character having a full ruck sack, a rifle, load vest with a bunch of mags and smoke grenades and whatever, a sidearm, a hatchet... That's like, thirty or forty pounds of gear, at least.

Please, please, put on an Alice pack full of food, water, medical supplies, ammo, a tent, and post a video of you "realistically" jumping over a fence at full run. Hey, maybe it could be used for mocap, too. Also, if you're nice, we could start a fundraiser for your friggin' hospital bill.

Seriously, is the John Woo front flip they added not enough?

Though, I will agree, having a more smooth "climb over objects" button would be helpful.

Edited by Grumpy
  • Like 1

As long as "Stamina" wont make us walk a painstakingly slow pace like in WARZ alright but if its like WARZ fuck that, I hate taking 2 hours to get 10 feet because the movement system is so fucked.

I was thinking that you can always sprint, but more slowly with lower stamina, along the lines of Red Orchestra 2.

If jumping is added then a % chance to turn/break ankle also needs to be added. Possible a knee injury, or fall and hit your head and become unconscious or disoriented for "x" amount of time.

Or how about an accidental weapon discharge and shoot yourself in the leg/foot/ear unless you have said weapon properly stowed.

If jumping is added then a % chance to turn/break ankle also needs to be added. Possible a knee injury, or fall and hit your head and become unconscious or disoriented for "x" amount of time.

Or how about an accidental weapon discharge and shoot yourself in the leg/foot/ear unless you have said weapon properly stowed.

Dont forget to add a % chance to feint/bone breaking chance to running as well. Also a chance to accidentally choke on your beans is necessary

Edited by Uuni
  • Like 1