colekern

Weapon damage general discussion.

Hey guys, this was originally a thread about replacing the Makarov, but we somehow got on the topic of weappon damage in general.

SO..... discuss!

Also, ignore the first page or so, because that was the discussion on the original suggestion.

Edited by colekern

The damage needs to be sorted out first rather then the capacity.

Edited by q1p0
  • Like 3

Pfft, nope the damage is fine its only a small round remember that its the same as the pp-19's 9x18.

I feel the damage is appropriate for it.

The damage is not fine... You can take more than one mag to the chest and not even be near death.

• Like 1

I thought the Russian Army now use something called the randomjumbleofnumbers "Grach" which fires a high-velocity 9x19mm load.

I gotta say "nix" to this suggestion because the Makarov PM is very common in the former Soviet Bloc, many countries produced their own identical versions and Russia even presented engraved versions to special individuals. The Makarov is quite a famous and classic pistol over there. I've heard you can even use it as a bottle opener. You'd be more likely to see Makarov PMs in Chernarus than any upgraded Russian version.

Anyways, I looked it up and I found:

The PMM was offered for both military and law enforcement buyers, and eventually at least few were ordered by Russian police forces, although in standard 9x18 chambering. The 9x18 PMM ammunition was not issued on any significant scale due to the danger of loading the new ammunition into the old guns, which may result in damage to the old and worn-out guns. Instead, Russian Army finally went for a new, more promising pistol, developed at the same state-owned Izhevsk Mechanical Plant, the Yarygin PYa. 

The Makarov PMM was never adopted by or isued to Russian forces, and also is more commonly found with a 10-round magazine, not 12.

Wikipedia says it is the most well-known variant because... well, because it's the most well-known VARIANT of the basic Makarov.

So.... no.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 2

I would love to see some balanced damage with the Makaraov and ESPECIALLY the revolver. a .45 ACP round would tear and mess up anything it hit so the fact that it does shit in Dayz is Bullshitz

• Like 2

The damage isn't appropriate for it, it should be doing roughly twice as much. I took three magazines to the chest and I didn't even die from it... some shots MUST have missed.

It should be able to take someone out in a few shots, not a few dozen...

• Like 2

Pfft, nope the damage is fine its only a small round remember that its the same as the pp-19's 9x18.

wat

damage is way too low you can survive over 1 mag being shot into you that's just nuts

as far as I know the russian army and law forces are using the Jarygina Pja ...17 rounds 9x19 mm (Nato compatible)..very sexy :) ..as I stated before I really hope for more russian weapons regading the Russian backgound of the map

Edit : finding Makarovs though seems to be very realistic

Edited by Private Evans

Maybe they could ADD Makarov variants and other Russian pistols (I'd like to see a Tokarev) but I don't want any replacing of famous weapons going on.

• Like 2

Chernarus =/= Russia, ex-SSRs tend to use older soviet equipment than modern Russian ones.

Alright seeing as I am apparently out voted on the damage of a makarov, what do you guys think it should be around?

After seeing how many people dislike the damage lets say what if it did 1100 blood? I think its overkill but I guess its up to the community and dev's.

Damages are hard to even out, however I think the damages should stay the same and player health should be reduced by 1/3 or even 1/2.

• Like 1

I would love they switch the Makarov for a SD one, so I can shoot zombies, not survivors.

I would love they switch the Makarov for a SD one, so I can shoot zombies, not survivors.

Can I have an Argamore Cookie?

Can I have an Argamore Cookie?

The cookie isn't named 'Argamore', it's a special cookie, with rainbows and magical fairy dust, and other secret ingredients.

Only the best get the cookie.

• Like 2

The damage is not fine... You can take more than one mag to the chest and not even be near death.

A russian colleague of mine told me from his time in the Army the Makarov is sh*tty as hell. He told me: "If you can choose then get a Stechkin."

A russian colleague of mine told me from his time in the Army the Makarov is sh*tty as hell. He told me: "If you can choose then get a Stechkin."

So you're saying you could take 7 9x18 shots to the body and run away? Or actually your Russian friend is saying that.

Edited by Sutinen

RE: the 'damage' argument. There was another thread that centred heavily around this, and the general consensus was that weapon damage is fine, the issue is that player health in DayZ is double what it is in ARMA, so therefore weapons are effectively doing half damage. With the higher-powered weapons it's not so much of an issue, but with stuff like the MP5 and the Makarov it becomes a little more obvious, as you can put half a clip into someone and they turn around and shoot you in the face.

So you're saying you could take 7 9x18 shots to the body and run away? Or actually your Russian friend is saying that.

Read again...he had the gun in practical use and both pistols share the same ammo. Then think what you want. And i don't know if the rumor about the 9x18 beeing weaker than the 9x19 is really true or not.

Edited by Enforcer

Maybe they could ADD Makarov variants and other Russian pistols (I'd like to see a Tokarev) but I don't want any replacing of famous weapons going on.

This would be a good alternative.

Alright seeing as I am apparently out voted on the damage of a makarov, what do you guys think it should be around?

After seeing how many people dislike the damage lets say what if it did 1100 blood? I think its overkill but I guess its up to the community and dev's.

If it did 1100 damage it could still take around 10 shots to kill. I think we should do away with the hitpoint system entirely, and instead focus on lethal and non lethal shots. Shoot someone in the heart, neck or head, and they're pretty much done for. Shoot someone in the foot 30 times, and they wouldn't just die from being shot, maybe from shock or blood loss. None lethal injuries would still have big effects on the player though, such as being knocked down or immobilized. Then people will stop having so many problems with guns being so weak, and you won't be able to take 3 rounds from an assault rifle and walk away.

• Like 1

i want 10mm glocks and 9mm, .38 and .45 lever action rifles.

This game need mUCH more weapon variety, and to make them much more rare.

And i don't know if the rumor about the 9x18 beeing weaker than the 9x19 is really true or not.

Yup, it's quite a bit weaker in terms of energy, but in terms of the effect on the target, as always that depends. The Makarov HAS to fire a weaker cartridge since it is a blowback pistol with an unlocked breech... the 9x18mm was about as powerful as was safe to use in that design.

The Tokarev is a better pistol in many ways but is larger, heavier, single-action and has no applied safety which means it's unsafe to carry with a round in the chamber. The Soviets probably didn't expect to use a pistol in combat anyways and just wanted something lighter, newer and more useful for unexpected personal defence.