rocket

DayZ Devblog 22nd February 2013

I thought of it as Day-Z, like an unknown day. like Day X. :P I guess it can be interpreted in many ways.

Well I guess you could... but I am right nevertheless. :|

Edited by codestargod

afaik DayZ stands for Day zero and means the last day of the world or the first day of a new world or order...in our case the day when our modern world finally collapsed...

If I had to give DayZ a reason for the name, I would definitely put it as a spin off of Day X (as in the beginning of the new world), and Z (as in, zombie) despite the fact that rocket said before he would view them as people with a virus who just want to roam around and eat people, not paying attention to their own health state.

heh, so apparently Rocket has thought seriously about horses in the game. The problem, he said (which I also assumed), would be that horses are hard to animate. Unlike in Red Dead Redemption by Rockstar games, Rocket is limited with funds and the team can't really afford the Euphoria engine that was used in RDR and GTA to create those realistic muscle animations. So, I guess bears, wolves, dogs and etc. are a very foggy idea at the moment. Haha, as I think of it, now it makes sense why the current animal animations in ArmA look so retarded. :D

So who's ready for Dev Blog Friday!? :thumbsup:

let's hope for some SA screenshots showing some nice CANS :P

• Like 1

So who's ready for Dev Blog Friday!? :thumbsup:

I was born ready!

• Like 2

heh, so apparently Rocket has thought seriously about horses in the game. The problem, he said (which I also assumed), would be that horses are hard to animate. Unlike in Red Dead Redemption by Rockstar games, Rocket is limited with funds and the team can't really afford the Euphoria engine that was used in RDR and GTA to create those realistic muscle animations. So, I guess bears, wolves, dogs and etc. are a very foggy idea at the moment. Haha, as I think of it, now it makes sense why the current animal animations in ArmA look so retarded. :D

Horses? Arma2 ? Retarded animations? there you go :

• Like 5

That horse is giving me the eye.

yeah........ who needs Euphoria when you got... ah whatever xD But seriously. It is possible to make a realistic enough horse model and animate it, except that it will take a very long time... And imagine doing that for every animal, studying its anatomy of how it runs, walks and etc.

Edited by osallivan
  • Like 1

Assassin's Creed I, II, and ... oh.. not III (wtf?!?) like every other game has done many things right and many things wrong.

One thing they don't have perfect but do have better than any other game out is horse animations. Turning, galloping, the horses slow canter. Everything about them is excellent aside from the brief pause after jump animation which they don't seem to be able to fix.

They must have taken a horse in to their mo-cap studio and suited that biatch up!

Edited by Cinnabuns

New zombie animations and poses. That means new hit boxes have to be made. That means more time in developement........................... Damn.

Also, I'd say to try for The Walking Dead zombie animations, they are legend.

horses were said to be almost impossible to make it in the game. however there is a higher chance we see horses than children..

I like the feel of the blogs, relaxed no pressure info shared. Hope to come back in today to a new one. Even if its just rocket filming himself driving into work talking about the game.

• Like 1

hey Dean! will you do mocaps for wading (through swamps, marshes, knee-deep water)?

• Like 4

New zombie animations and poses. That means new hit boxes have to be made. That means more time in developement........................... Damn.

I am personally fine with longer development time as long as the game turns out good, and polished. Besides, I think longer development time is beneficial to the community. While I am not saying rocket & the team will automatically stop developing after a year has passed from release, it allows us to get as much as we can out of the game; even if it means we have to sacrifice a few months with no play time.

I think Rocket said that the public Alpha release will not have the motion captured data yet. It will be added later. (or did he mean the player character? Not sure.)

There are also different techniques on detecting bullet hits. Hit boxes not necessarily have to be made.

Assassin's Creed I, II, and ... oh.. not III (wtf?!?) like every other game has done many things right and many things wrong.

One thing they don't have perfect but do have better than any other game out is horse animations. Turning, galloping, the horses slow canter. Everything about them is excellent aside from the brief pause after jump animation which they don't seem to be able to fix.

They must have taken a horse in to their mo-cap studio and suited that biatch up!

Assassin's Creed does not have better horse animations than Red Dead Redemption. Don't get me wrong, the animations are good, and you do not need Euphoria to implement them if yo are a big company like Ubisoft. But Bohemia the DayZ Dev team does not have this Luxury.

BTW, that mo-cap horse made me laugh, I was surprised... :)

Edited by osallivan