DemonGroover

DayZ: Most Private Hives Are Not Real DayZ

It's called variety and you know some of us don't agree with the direction the mod has taken. Rockets game as you call it has been changed so far from what he left I would say its not the same game.

And I for one am glad of the different servers cause if I was forced to play on official only servers I'd just give up and not bother due to the changes and lack of bug fixes and inability of admins to properly admin their servers.

My opinion? Well, you asked for it.

If you want a game mode with 500+ vehicles, go play wasteland

If you want a game mode with base building, go play wasteland

If you want a game mode 20 helicopters, go play wasteland

If you want a game mode with side chat so you can all talk together and complain when you die, go play wasteland

I think we all get the point. DayZ is awesome when you finally find that DMR you've been searching for, or that helicopter you looked all over the map for. I don't see the point in handing all of that too you within the first hour of playing, unless you're short for time. And if you're short for time, GO PLAY WASTELAND

Edited by AussieStig

I have to put in one question, as it was mentioned in this thread before.

What is a vanilla server? :blush:

*snip*

Why do players like these servers that give weapons at spawn, a map, a compass, 500+ vehicles etc etc?

What sort of experience do you want out of a zombie survival game when things are put in your lap without the need for effort?

*snip*

Short but fully sufficient answer: Kids, tweens, teens and youngsters around the age of twenty.

It is the teen mentality in effect basically. DayZ provides a sand box for "having fun" in various ways involving the standard kid / teen mind state. But there are obstacles between the teen and DayZ's tantalizing offer of a vast playground where you can "pwn" your peers in various ways and shit talk in the side chat.

Server admins and modders can remove these obstacles so that youngsters can get straight to it without having to through the whole "survival" milark, and behold, server admins provided DayZ "pwn fun land" for all the young bucking lord of the flies-warriors and they saw that it was good...

Edited by Droidlife

I am bit 50/50 on the vehicles.

I understand that they would be common IRL but the idea of there being 7-10 vehicles per person in a game like DayZ seems to belittle the game. A vehicle should be a goal to attain. It just seems too easy on some servers.

Bicycles though - yeah they should be a bit more common.

Vehicles abundant, as per normal realism logic................fuel? Hey! SCARCE!

My fear is that a lot of the new players will get used to these 'loaded' servers and their expectations will be shattered to pieces when the SA is released and it is nothing like what theyve been playing. I hope it doesnt turn people away from the game.

• Like 1

This is one of the many reasons I'm looking forward to the release of the SA. For me, many private hives have just gone too far off the radar now for it to even be called DayZ.

There are many new players within the last couple of months that will have only played on customised servers with woerd starting load-outs. They're going to be in for a shock when they log into the SA for the fist time and they're standing there in their boxers.

I like some of the customisations available but it's got to the point where it's all that is available now.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 7

I stick to a good set of public hives. Ones that I've had a few good player experiences on and haven't had any unusual activity. I know since it's public, I risk the hacker threat, but I'm okay with it since I know I'll get my lovely vanilla Dayz. Also being a hero on the pubic hive has more benefits that you'd imagine.

This is one of the many reasons I'm looking forward to the release of the SA. For me, many private hives have just gone too far off the radar now for it to even be called DayZ.

There are many new players within the last couple of months that will have only played on customised servers with woerd starting load-outs. They're going to be in for a shock when they log into the SA for the fist time and they're standing there in their boxers.

I like some of the customisations available but it's got to the point where it's all that is available now.

Just play on Balota Buddies...oh wait.

I enjoy the variety of the DayZ experience but you are the first person to point out many of the newer players have been deprived of vanilla DayZ. I remember getting so excited when my group managed to find two off road trucks and a Ural on a single server. We spent over two weeks finding the vehicles and setting up a camp. We treated these vehicles like precious gold and my buddy was legitimately upset when I flipped one of the off road trucks. Now when we play we are usually on the anzuswargames servers that have epic bases with loot boxes, hundreds of vehicles, and some starting gear (crossbow, hunting knife, compass, a water bottle, and some food) and finding a decent weapon and vehicle is fairly easy. It comes down to finding a toolbox and then we are off to the races and while it is fun for PvP and a more casual experience I find myself getting bored with the lack of objectives at times. I hope new players try out the vanilla servers just so they can prepare themselves for a much stricter environment in the standalone.

But as I pointed out I am a dirty hypocrite, I enjoy messing around with buddies on the more casual servers but I also appreciate the servers with less easy access to gear.

Sorry for repeating myself, but what is a vanilla-server??

Vanilla = Unmodified.The original flavor. Not chocolate, not cranberry, and no machine guns in your inventory when you spawn.

• Like 1

Thanks.

That's what I prefer, too. But I'm glad they put some more vehicles in it, because I really hate when people having stashed all the vehicles somewhere in the forest. And there's no chance for other players getting one unless they would find the camp. Which is now, far more possible with more vehicles (especially more than one chopper).

I understand that there should be variety in servers as different players want different things, but the shear number of 'unofficial' versions of DayZ is getting huge.

Some of them are not the original game at all.

I'm totally with you here. I took a break for a few months and am getting back into DayZ, but it's difficult to find a server that actually delivers the experience as it was ... (apart from ones I favourite on DayZcommander. God bless you, sir)

Loging on to a random server nowadays means you have absolutely no idea what you're going to find. I've even been on servers where everyone was cool with hacking, if general chat was anything to go by.

Things that get my goat so far are - the loss of female skins, maps where you spawn with guns, maps with 500+ vehicles, maps with NPC soldiers (!) and maps where you get a full survival kit on the beach.

That's just not DayZ.

@Zionist Wabbit

Say DayZ(ed) one more time please. I dont think we got it. You wouldnt spell it "DayZed". That is a way of pronouncing the letter Z in some parts of the world. You make yourself sound stupid by writing it out. You dont see me writing DayZ(ee) do you?

Lol sorry about the flame but reading through that post repeating it multiple times got under my skin.

Not so much as a whinge but an observation. Ok, ok - a whinge!

Last night i joined a server which i presumed to be 'vanilla' DayZ - there was nothing in the server description to think otherwise. However upon joining i quickly realised that it was far from what i consider the "real" DayZ.

I spawned with a Makarov, a map, a compass and not 100m from where i had stood there were 3(!) fully repaired and fueled Helis. Side chat was enabled and the chat consisted of : "OMG this is the best server ever!!" and such. Further exploration revealed the map was littered with vehicles.

I realise that there are other servers which are 'vanilla' and there is a choice involved and normally i avoid these type of servers because it is not what i want out of the game. But my questions are:

Why do players like these servers that give weapons at spawn, a map, a compass, 500+ vehicles etc etc?

What sort of experience do you want out of a zombie survival game when things are put in your lap without the need for effort?

In essence, why are you playing DayZ?

Your thoughts please - it is a slow day here in downtown Brisbane.

I vehemently agree.

DayZ - for me - is about the struggle ... the pain, the stress, the time and the effort. I once spent five hours repairing a white offroad I found in Myshkino; I was on foot and had to run as far as Stary and other points south and north to gather parts, while deciding which food and ammo items to drop from my limited inventory space in order to pick up those parts. That is DayZ.

DayZ is about self-reliance; putting in time patiently, man or woman vs. hell on cyber earth, but more importantly the gamer struggling against his or her self, in order to overcome impatience, bad decision making and greed.

Real DayZ takes time. You log in with nothing, you find a knife, canteen, hatchet and oh those lovely matches; you collect some meds, some food, perhaps a weapon or two and - in my case - you head into the wilds because you know other survivors will be out hunting; some hunting for you.

I am addicted to the struggle. The more effort it takes, the more pleased and immersed I become. Finding fully fueled, repaired vehicles is ok for ten minutes of experimentation, but that is far too easy long run and game breaking. I want to live the apocalypse. I am neither a loot hound nor possessed of a cyber gun fetish. I take what I find and try to specialize with it as best I can.

That is why other gamers who either want a half hour experience with everything handed to them, or want to film flashy videos of survivors offing each other military grade weapons, annoys the heck out of me.

You want that better backpack, gun, NVG, etc. then earn it.

• Like 1

I am against the modified Private Servers (extra vehicles + starting gear and all the other shyte).

1 : Keeps the masses happy and the hackers out in the cold (somewhat).

2 : DayZ experience (something not to be found in pimped up Private Hives)

There are a few vanilla Privats out there, you just have to dig deep.

I have gone back to playing on Official Public Servers but it's the same old problem, no matter how much the Admins try,,,Feckin Heckers.

Short but fully sufficient answer: Kids, tweens, teens and youngsters around the age of twenty.

It is the teen mentality in effect basically. DayZ provides a sand box for "having fun" in various ways involving the standard kid / teen mind state. But there are obstacles between the teen and DayZ's tantalizing offer of a vast playground where you can "pwn" your peers in various ways and shit talk in the side chat.

Server admins and modders can remove these obstacles so that youngsters can get straight to it without having to through the whole "survival" milark, and behold, server admins provided DayZ "pwn fun land" for all the young bucking lord of the flies-warriors and they saw that it was good...

Please don't pin everything on teens tweens, and young people in general. Sadly it's true though. Most of us (Including me at times) are morons.

Inch - mile. It is easy to see why Rocket had no interest in these private hives to start out. Why did he cave? To save his own reputation against thug-like attacks from the moding community who are under the impression that they own the rights to every game and/or mod that ever/will ever be released.

If you look at the server browser at most times it is those servers which are full 24/7. Those servers and the people who play on them I have no doubt will wind up influencing standalone into exactly what you have described; Having everything handed to you with little to no effort.

This is how it go's with every game out there, you give an inch, they want a mile. Until there is little left for that minority which like a challenge and working to achieve goals.

Unfortunately catering to these people is vastly more profitable then simply ignoring them. Even if you create server-side settings to appease everyone, the "vanilla servers" will be few and far between, and as you stated they are never really vanilla.

Because some are new players and they want to familiarise and others are way to deep into the game that they want a "fun break".

Now some personal taste, zombie apocalypse is fresh. Most people are dead or undead, equals alot of unused cars. Personaly i prefer a server that has 100+ or even 200+ vehicles that are all red. Though no start up gear, no crosshair, no map tracer, no nameplates+distance meter and even no 3rd Person. This is more realistic for me. Vehicles should not be the problem. Parts should be.Yestarday i was playing Oring a new map which is trully amazing and it supports this idea in the actual gameplay and mechanics. Cars are easy to find parts are not.

For choppers now... Choppers should be 1, max 2 on each server. But fully repaired with no fuel and only spawning north. It seems more balanced to me that way.

Edited by Meik0
  • Like 1

At the moment, DayZ is mostly like an ARMA mission, for people who discovered the game so late. No one wants to travel on foot anymore. In fact, a heli is more preferable than a car. Hundreds of already repaired vehicles may be fun for the first time but it really makes for a shallow experience in the long run, at least compared to vanilla DayZ. Thank god for the standalone, though I do have worries about it as well. Rocket did stick to his guns with the mod but can he afford to do the same with the standalone, with so much being dependent on the sales? Let's face it, the majority of the player base do want 24/7 daylight, 1000 vehicles, 100 choppers, starting loadouts, tanks and what not.

But my questions are:

there is always need for food/medicine ... perhaps better gear/more gear

but i wouldnt like the 500+ vehicles

but some items at startup doesnt make you invulnerable. as said, food, water, better more gear, exploring, fighting ...

Sent from my mobile Device and now i have big ePeEn!

I think the point i am trying to make is DayZ is Rocket's baby and if he wants players to be defenceless at Spawn then why play on a server that gives you a DMR? Is that DayZ or is it a different game altogether?

But Rocket's Baby is also a Mod of "Arma 2 creator's" Baby.

Those servers exist and are popular because people enjoy playing that style so that should tell you something about the game and players: Ei starting weapons / side chat / more vehicles . It's like someone designing a paintbrush and saying "This is my brush it's only meant to paint in straight lines, that is how it was intended to be used" and be confused when people start painting and enjoying circles. (not saying rocket thinks this way, but it's the only analogy I could muster at the moment)

Don't get me wrong I love the orig vanilla style, but the mods and deviations are also fun for different reasons. Most people have figured out how to survive by now, so it's a natural progression to modify game styles within the realm of the sandbox.

Edited by Big_T
  • Like 1