DemonGroover

DayZ: Most Private Hives Are Not Real DayZ

Most of the newer members of the DayZ community are being geared to like DMing a lot. I blame private hives. It took forever to find a proper game. Most private hives that spawn a huge amount if cars or make weapons more plentiful dont get my "business" anymore.

Most new players have no idea the rush a lot of us got when a "rare" car engine was heard humming to your area... Or when we got excited over finding an AK74.

Who else remembers when the food and drinks stopped spawning for a week or so on all public servers?

Servers are grooming players for death matching and easy survival experiences. Not a good combo, especially since SA should turn that idea upside down... It should be the complete opposite.

Honestly I cannot even stomach playing a vanilla server, where your things can be destroyed in seconds by inevitable hackers. Also getting to a location and repairing a vehicle in vanilla takes hours and hours, sometimes DAYS. This is just unacceptable time commitment to this game, in its current state.

Totally this.

Also the start with weapons negates the script kids just spawning themselves weapons, levels the playing field a bit more.

• Like 1

I wanted to quickly address some terribly exaggerated misconceptions in this thread. Ive played/seen 2 servers with sniper rifle spawn loadouts. Maybe 5 or so with basic weapons, low ammo, like a winchester, double barrel, or low end pistols. Yes this does create scenarios that are mentioned in here as complaints, where fresh spawned players battle on the coasts or starter towns, but seriously if you watch or do a few of these you will see they end up being epic starts to a "life". Ive gotten many situations where instead of being bored having to pick a spot to go look for stuff, im 'forced' to go get painkillers, a morphine (ever rolled to a car and driving forever to a hospital?), or leaked blood all the way to a residential spawn in the hopes of a bandage.

On the same token, you seriously cant ignore the reality of 'vanilla' where some socially awkward guy camps a rooftop of a town with a lee enfield he found right away- meanwhile his targets are lucky to find a hatchet to defend themselves. This happens ALL THE TIME and the TRUTH is a mildly geared player should overcome someone spawning with a single mak PM clip. A small group of fresh spawns should be able to purposefully or incidentally cordinate to make a bunkered down bandit flee.. or good forbid kill him after hours of sitting at the same roof lip in prone.

Too many people try to FORCE this slow, devastatingly brutal gameplay that ends up being a HUGE waste of time (talking several HOURS), because youre getting tin cans. Although I did find out you can cause concussion and very rarely a broken bone, hitting a player with cans/bottles..

Last thing is this push towards "reality" as if this apocolypse happens and I dont even snatch a crowbar from home before heading out into the woods. Having hapless people in this "situation" is this most unrealistic thing humanly possible. Id snap the damn antenna off a car and beat you with it if you starting talking some "hit the dirt while go through your pockets!".

• Like 1

I wanted to quickly address some terribly exaggerated misconceptions in this thread. Ive played/seen 2 servers with sniper rifle spawn loadouts. Maybe 5 or so with basic weapons, low ammo, like a winchester, double barrel, or low end pistols. Yes this does create scenarios that are mentioned in here as complaints, where fresh spawned players battle on the coasts or starter towns, but seriously if you watch or do a few of these you will see they end up being epic starts to a "life". Ive gotten many situations where instead of being bored having to pick a spot to go look for stuff, im 'forced' to go get painkillers, a morphine (ever rolled to a car and driving forever to a hospital?), or leaked blood all the way to a residential spawn in the hopes of a bandage.

On the same token, you seriously cant ignore the reality of 'vanilla' where some socially awkward guy camps a rooftop of a town with a lee enfield he found right away- meanwhile his targets are lucky to find a hatchet to defend themselves. This happens ALL THE TIME and the TRUTH is a mildly geared player should overcome someone spawning with a single mak PM clip. A small group of fresh spawns should be able to purposefully or incidentally cordinate to make a bunkered down bandit flee.. or good forbid kill him after hours of sitting at the same roof lip in prone.

Too many people try to FORCE this slow, devastatingly brutal gameplay that ends up being a HUGE waste of time (talking several HOURS), because youre getting tin cans. Although I did find out you can cause concussion and very rarely a broken bone, hitting a player with cans/bottles..

Last thing is this push towards "reality" as if this apocolypse happens and I dont even snatch a crowbar from home before heading out into the woods. Having hapless people in this "situation" is this most unrealistic thing humanly possible. Id snap the damn antenna off a car and beat you with it if you starting talking some "hit the dirt while go through your pockets!".

So pretend you washed up on the beach.

PvP

...and helicopters ;) I only venture into them for the Helis, i love to fly above Chernarus and watch all of the action on the 350 + vehicle 20+ heli servers.

The only thing that trips me out is you go on one with a fuckton of extra barracks, cars and helis and people are still complaining about being shot :facepalm: All of these servers need to come with spawning tissues.

The 24/7 daytime servers get boring real quick though.

• Like 2

I will never play on a server that spawns you with gear, especially a weapon.

The only thing that trips me out is you go on one with a fuckton of extra barracks, cars and helis and people are still complaining about being shot :facepalm: All of these servers need to come with spawning tissues.

Lol spawning tissues should be standard issue.

• Like 1

Exactly my thoughts. I don't see any point of the goofing around on the higher vehicle, custom loadout, etc servers (but maybe I'm a grump). It seems much more fun to me if there's a risk involved.

Its fun to mess around once in a blue moon but the server I play on doesn't even spawn you with a backpack just one more added difficulty and it has night!!! Which now a days is almost impossible to find a server with nights on! I love playing at night so much more intense on both the zed and player level

I don't really mind when I get a map or makarov on a private server. I mean, not having one just means I'm only without a gun for less than 20 minutes before I easily get one lol Usually I play on those ones if I'm not going in for a true survival experience and just want something abit more fun.

good private servers usually have decent protection against hackers with active admins and whitelist, but there is also the risk that admins run enforces special rules wich you get banned for breaking, so far ive happened upon no pvp servers(seriously how fun is that in the long run), no stealing vehicles(i saw a guy get banned once cause he fixed up and took a ural he found that turned out to be the admins so i politely told him he was a fucktard and quit), and recently i entered a server where the admins hoarded vehicles and equipment in devils castle and threatened to ban people that got too close to it and apparently banned anyone that had been there even if they didnt touch their stuff(it was even a part of the welcome message, "welcome to blah blah blah, touch our shit and we ban you, gl hf"(short version). sure its their right to run their server as they see fit but i dont see why anyone else would want to play under those conditions.

but i have also played on servers with admins that give vehicles and weapons to new players or offer them taxi service in helis and other good guy actions and those i try to remember. and i like that they usually have sidechat enabled, its harder as a bandit if your victims inform other people of your whereabouts and if im playing bandit myself i still consider it a good thing

I don't really mind when I get a map or makarov on a private server. I mean, not having one just means I'm only without a gun for less than 20 minutes before I easily get one lol Usually I play on those ones if I'm not going in for a true survival experience and just want something abit more fun.

a few weeks ago played on a private panthera server and didnt find a sidearm in almost 4h, i had a scooby doo van with 2 fn fal with 7 clips, 1 as50 with 3 m107 clips, 1 m14 with 4 clips and a m4a3 with 8 clips on me, but not a single damn pistol, i even cleared out every building in fob boriana from items to allow new ones to spawn in 4 times(but that was mainly for the warehouses to get wheels for a better car) and every building in kobarid once but not a single pistol spawned in. i eventually ended up with a pdw then g17 but at that point i realised it was primetime in most eu countries and there where only 6 players including me on the server so i left

I think the point i am trying to make is DayZ is Rocket's baby and if he wants players to be defenceless at Spawn then why play on a server that gives you a DMR? Is that DayZ or is it a different game altogether?

Might as well call it ArmA2, PvP custom mission with bad AI mixed in (anybody who tried out mods like ASR-AI knows that the AI can give you a real challenge).

These servers share very little with the original DayZ experience IMHO.

So pretend you washed up on the beach.

The argument was 'realism' and the point was you wouldn't 'wash up' empty handed, literally would throw punches or a shoe at a zombie or person trying to take your life.

You guys think its "true DayZ" to play it the terrible way it was incidentally presented. It is not. With the bugs, glitches, exploits, cheaters..Spending a REAL hour running down a virtual highway to be hacked a moment later, lol, get real.

I will never play on a server that spawns you with gear, especially a weapon.

I will never again play one without a starting weapon.

• Like 1

I will never again play one without a starting weapon.

Why?

I wonder if the players who join such servers are aware of Wasteland servers.

Not saying it's exactly the same, but really close to what they seem to be looking for imo.

I can see there is going to be a lot of dissapointed people when the SA hits. You all have this idea that everybody will be trying to survive when the reality is it's going to be exactly like the mod if not more pvp.

@anodin Wasteland is nothing like DayZ so no it's not what they are looking for. Open your bloody eyes and stop denying the obvious, people do like this type of play, it may not be to your tastes but thats life deal with it. If they dident those servers would be empty but there not.

Myself I havent played chernarus in months cause I was bored to the teeth of that map and thanks to private hives I've been able to play DayZ on a variety of maps and I've no issues with that what so ever.

Variety is Good, stop being so bloody selfish expecting everybody to like what you do!

• Like 1

Honestly, with what im hoping to see from standalone is:

1 Official Hive thats maintained properly (Fuck Private Hives, they drove the mod into the ground.)

A vehicle count between 0-50 and thats it, no more.

No Modding EVER, leave the game as rocket intended.

Everyone forgets what made dayz popular and that was the 1 big persistent world where you take your character to whatever server you wanted.

And please dont reply to me with things like "What about SurviveDayZ and DayZ+?"... I look back upon SurviveDayZ with hatred and DayZ+ was originally a private project for personal testing which evolved into something else, and we just needed to keep some of DayZ alive before all the 1000+ vehicle servers etc.. and everyone spamming new mods (in which, arent really dayz) out came along.

• Like 1

Honestly, with what im hoping to see from standalone is:

1 Official Hive thats maintained properly (Fuck Private Hives, they drove the mod into the ground.)

A vehicle count between 0-50 and thats it, no more.

No Modding EVER, leave the game as rocket intended.

Everyone forgets what made dayz popular and that was the 1 big persistent world where you take your character to whatever server you wanted.

And please dont reply to me with things like "What about SurviveDayZ and DayZ+?"... I look back upon SurviveDayZ with hatred and DayZ+ was originally a private project for personal testing which evolved into something else, and we just needed to keep some of DayZ alive before all the 1000+ vehicle servers etc.. and everyone spamming new mods (in which, arent really dayz) out came along.

This is so god damn true. All of it.

I can see there is going to be a lot of dissapointed people when the SA hits.

I'm thinking the same, and it won't be those who don't like the heavily modded DayZ because the standalone will not be moddable. You can bet there won't be fully repaired vehicles on every corner of the map or 100 helis around.

It's not really about PvP itself. As far as I can tell, the issue seems to be that people believe anything other than shooting stuff is "a huge waste of time". I don't see it that way at all. In fact, fixing a car taking an hour or so just makes it more satisfying in the end. Searching for parts makes me check out areas and buildings that otherwise I wouldn't bother with. And even if I die, or don't manage to find all the parts, or someone shoots me and steals my car after all the "hard work", I still don't see it as a waste of time because I had fun doing it.

Similar with the starting weapon argument. If I run into Elektro unarmed, I know there is a good chance I will die. So what, it's not like big cities are the only places where you can find a weapon. On the contrary, spawning in Kamenka and hitting those deer stands up north is quickly becoming my favorite spawning location. When i join a private server and spawn with a DMR, NVGs, M9SD and a fully repaired ATV next to me, more often than not I'll just go and search for some PvP action because there is not much left to do. Even if I die, it doesn't really matter.

@trichome

I think it is you who will disappointed with the SA when it comes out if you think it is going to be just like the mod.

Having everything gifted to you on a plate is not what the game will be about.

The game will be tougher not easier.

I got no problem you playing your personal dayz lite just make sure your server description lets of know to stay away.

Edited by DemonGroover

I know exactly what you mean mate, I find it impossible to find a proper server, just original DayZ where surviving was a challenge, and finding a vehicle a fuckin' miracle. If ye want to play with some like-minded fellas you can add me on Skype, MrPixelMonster. Maybe you know a good server, cause I don't

Why?

Spawning into a populated server without a weapon, makes you people's play thing. Its so creepy, awkward, and so not entertaining to have to spend hours running around JUST to defend yourself.

We spawn in with a glock and a map thank god Shootin New spawns is frowned upon