griffinz

DayZ Devblog 4th February 2013

Isn't it cool how there is an option for people who like to play in first person to play in first person, even if it is a third person enabled server?

Those people who prefer first person must be pretty damn happy. They get their own 1st person only servers(which are dead 90% of the time), AND they get to join any 3rd person server they want and also use first person.

Now go fire up DayZ Commander and select any mod with the only filter being third person in red (search for third person disabled). I count 30 people total.

Now filter for third person in green (search for any mod + third person enabled). To many to bother counting.

This is why this argument is so hysterical. You have like 1% of the player base trying to force the other 99% of the player base into playing a style of play they don't want.

Third person isn't going anywhere.

people get used to the way most people play, and third person became the "default" for dayz. but its easier gameplay, and you can perceive a lot more than your character would be able to. if people find that the game gives you an not frowned upon way to get advantage they will not only use it, but get used to it. personally, a war simulator with the option to play the game like lara croft´s tomb raider or spongebob squarepants, or even mario, is a joke, and to my knowledge the option was just left there because it has always been there, and people just got used to it.

ive played a lot on first person only servers, last few times i tried there were always people talking in sidechannel which bothered me a lot and made me give up, and to consider playing in first person on third person enabled servers is a joke, you will have no awareness of your surroundings compared to third person players, you might aswell play blindfolded when engaging on pvps.

i give an example, i spawned next to cherno, when in, found an axe, heard a pvp inside firestation, both had aks ,one died. i sneaked near the firestation and to my luck started to rain, i crouch sneaked next to its wall and using third person camera i looked inside and saw a player, when he looked the other way i rushed inside and axed him. he had no chance whatsoever and the only reason is that i could see what my character could not.

i understand how most people prefer the easier tomb raider arcade style gameplay, simply because its easier to be aware, easier to not get ambushed, easier to spot treats if you are carefull enough. but if you only had first person, now you would have a real challenge and a whole new set of tactics on dealing with other players, since they no longer would be able to use the 4 meter camera pole to easily scout everything without putting yourself at risk.

i also understand that probably a lot of people would stop playing if they took third person off, since most are used to it, and to me its because the game would become a lot harder.

Edited by white
  • Like 4

If you're going to argue for total realism, we should also discuss the fact that my eyeballs do not "zoom in".

In real life I can feel and smell. I can also move my head naturally (without TrackIR) and can put my body in more than the dozen or so positions afforded by ARMA. I can peek over and around walls a millimeter at a time, and shoot a rifle left handed, and keep both eyes open when using an OEG.

My FOV is about 180°, not 90° because I don't wear blinders (unless there's something kinky going on). I don't need icons to tell me when I'm hungry, cold thirsty, or shot.

My argument is not about realism, it's about immersion and gameplay.

I like when 'what you see is what you get'. I like when I can lose myself in the game and use my sensory input to asses the situation I'm in. No metagaming. If somebody's head is turned this way or that, that should be the direction he is looking in. If he can see me, I should be able to take a shot at him.

For me, it takes heaps away from the immersion when I have to force myself to think "better be careful approaching that corner, somebody might be peeking around it using magic eyeballs of some sort". If someone can see me, I should be able to see him.

There really, really should be a choice of '1st person only' servers for those of us who play for the immersion more than the pew-pew.

This fighting over 1st person and 3rd person needs to stop. Why can nobody compromise? Rocket has already stated that there will be third person and first person only servers.

Where have you seen this?

I'm pretty sure he said none of the sort, but if you could point me to your source I would be very grateful.

• Like 4

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Even if their views appear to be nothing more than a figment of an elitist attitude.

As an example.

If the game managed to simulate pain, to the extent that being shot, hit or otherwise wounded would incapacitate for some length of time, the game would also become harder. Encouraging avoiding conflict as opposed to winning.

I, personally, would support this, but i know many wouldn't, so I refrain from passing judgement.

(though I reserve the right to throw insults around. It's in my nature :D)

My point is; increased difficulty, immersion, authenticity and tension should come from more than just a restricted field of view.

The 3dp denier's arguments focus almost entirely on combat. Whether PvP or PvE.

That's giving a VERY narrow scope to such an open sandbox game.

Locking FPV and calling it "hardcore" would just be a cheap trick IMO.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Even if their views appear to be nothing more than a figment of an elitist attitude.

Well, thanks.

If the game managed to simulate pain, to the extent that being shot, hit or otherwise wounded would incapacitate for some length of time, the game would also become harder. Encouraging avoiding conflict as opposed to winning.

This would be fantastic and improve the game in a million ways. I would love that.

Ignore what people might say and make a suggestion about it, or I will.

My point is; increased difficulty, immersion, authenticity and tension should come from more than just a restricted field of view.

The 3dp denier's arguments focus almost entirely on combat. Whether PvP or PvE.

That's giving a VERY narrow scope to such an open sandbox game.

Locking FPV and calling it "hardcore" would just be a cheap trick IMO.

1. FOV slider in standalone.

2. For me Dayz isn't about pvp/pve, it's about existing in the zombie apocalypse, about feeling immersed in it.

I generally avoid combat, but the fear of magic eyeballs still ruin the immersion for me.

It's not about 'being hardcore' it's about wanting to be part of a living, breathing, believable world. Of zombies.

• Like 1

Haw haw,

No offence intended, I was citing my own attitude as an example.

I understand the "believable, immersive world" banter. And I want to join you in it.

That's why I'd like teamRocket to make a statement RE; DayZ as intended.

Instead of covering up the cracks, lay a solid foundation.

The way we've been selecting our server settings etc. still feels like it's just a leftover from OFP.

I'd like to keep the ability to spy my cool loots, and check out the sweet new Standalone threads, but 3dp isn't going to be a gamebreaker if we get a confirmed definition of the vision that doesn't include it.

I hate having to get so defensive over something that I just consider a fact of the matter. It's not becoming of a gentleman.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 1

How is it there are dedicated threads on 1st and 3rd, but our section with news is full of this argument.

All valid points mind you, please Dont hurt me.

• Like 1

How is it there are dedicated threads on 1st and 3rd, but our section with news is full of this argument.

All valid points mind you, please Dont hurt me.

It's a curse of some sort.

Whenever someone touches the subject in the slightest, people come jumping around corners yelling "omg fanboy! You're wrong!" (maybe they were there all along, peeking at us, unseen).

• Like 2

I see some players having a bash, moaning and arguing with each other on subjects / ideas not yet fully confirmed.

Until the facts are given I don't see a need for it. you all love the game as it is, let's hope rocket changes it in the right direction, he can always change it back if there are issues.

Now to change the subject, did you all give a question for rockets reddit page that smasht was kind enough to do for us yesterday?

Anyone know when they will be answered?

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

well...no need for drama

As far as we know all buildings in the SA will be enterable and the new loot system will force us to crouch and search in every corner of the new interiors. Also crosshairs will be removed completely (not set in stone). and changing between 1st and 3rd person view will be handled under the options (stated by Rocket)

This means people will still be able to play in 1st and 3rd person but 3rd person view will be useless for looting inside of buildings and during combat. People using 3rd person will still be able to look around corners and stuff but since changing to 1st person will not work on the fly this will mean no real advantage anymore during comabt....

as I stated before this seems to be a good compromise :)

• Like 1

The more I know of the SA, the less I'm looking forward to play it. So far it's only features that turn the DayZ gameplay upside down, but nothing that would give the wow-factor.

Sorry, just my grumbling.

The more I know of the SA, the less I'm looking forward to play it. So far it's only features that turn the DayZ gameplay upside down, but nothing that would give the wow-factor.

I think the 'all buildings can be entered' part is pretty good wow-factor.

That's what I'm looking forward to the most. That, and the more civilian/less military guns part.

examples ???

That's what I'm looking forward to the most. That, and the more civilian/less military guns part.

and the more challenging survival aspects...

well...no need for drama

changing between 1st and 3rd person view will be handled under the options (stated by Rocket)

Just thought, Could players with those programmable keyboards just macro a quick change key for 1st and 3rd? Open options, go to view change, back into game?

Wont be long before players find out any way.

Now that I see the character models are much BETTER, the clothing, the item spawn, open houses, grunged out environment, it's all great!

I'm just wondering if all the animations such as running, crouching, etc will get better. Aslo having the zombies not have super run speed then stop and miss attacking you when you keep running, and also if anything will be graphically enhanced such as the night time which is not so great at the moment and things like that..

Honestly besides the issues I stateded above I think this game is going to have soo much potential with the powers they have now.

Could today be the day we all get our fix of DayZ news.?.

• Like 5

Now that I see the character models are much BETTER, the clothing, the item spawn, open houses, grunged out environment, it's all great!

I'm just wondering if all the animations such as running, crouching, etc will get better. Aslo having the zombies not have super run speed then stop and miss attacking you when you keep running, and also if anything will be graphically enhanced such as the night time which is not so great at the moment and things like that..

Honestly besides the issues I stateded above I think this game is going to have soo much potential with the powers they have now.

Animations are being redone, as are zombies!

Virtually everything that existed in ArmA2 is being reworked. A quick summary of what is being done right now:

New Skeleton and animations. Completely done again from scratch. The previous rig was a decade old. All these animations are to be motion captured from scratch again. This is a long term project' date=' but the first results will be seen with zombies relatively soon. This is a big deal. Any animators out there will no just how much of a change this will make.

New Zombie AI. As noted this is being worked on at the moment. First step has been getting zombies to run inside, which looks great

Entirely new weapons. Every weapon and item in standalone is being redone. The new AK is the first weapon and it looks amazing. It also features a number of attachments.

Nothing is just copied over from the mod. I can't think of a single asset that has not been reworked and redeveloped so far, everything is being made better, more optimized, or something like that.[/quote']

Jirka is working on Zombie AI pathfinding. I'm working on loot spawn mechanics. Also we have new skeleton + anims developing 4 better anims
DayZ development lesson for the day: Zombies that can run inside are VERY scary #newpantsrequired

Could today be the day we all get our fix of DayZ news.?.

This actually got me excited because the clothes and everything blend sooo well and the new model is nice, and the item spawning system sounds PERFECT. This is what I wanted was someone from the public (Rocket) to make a game which means the PEOPLE (not money hungry scammers) actually make a game that has their ideas we all want.

Animations are being redone, as are zombies!

This is great news! :D

Edited by Zyromkiru
  • Like 1

Mh ok last Off topic for me about 3rd person, just a quick question for 3rd person users here :

Would you agree with the 3rd person camera being modified in such a way that it is closer to your character a la resident evil 4, and somehow "locked" a bit more to get rid of the "peeking around corners and above walls" advantage?

I think this simple solution is a good compromise but I wonder what you guys are thinking

EDIT : Resident evil 4 is just an example of those games where the camera is a bit off center and closer to your character to give you both immersion and sense of awareness in the environment. Dead space would be another good example.

Edited by Bat
  • Like 1

wonderpet, on 15 February 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

wonderpet, this is your problem as I see it.

You got used to playing a mod that was never the way it was suppose to be. Rocket and Co. wanted to make what they wanted to make, and unfortunately the easiest way for modders to make something quickly and get it out is to use what is available to them at the time, instead of re-inventing the wheel creating all new assets, models, animations, buildings, textures, brushes, lighting, sounds, etc.

Rockets vision was never fleshed out in the mod so if you enjoy all the hacking/COD'ed/BF3'ed-ness of the MOD than continue to play the mod.

I never played the mod thinking, "I love it". I always played with the understanding that there were many many great ideas there that were not fleshed-out properly and and also with the personal belief that all the military stuff brought over from Arma (a military game?) had no place in the game at all, or at all. I still don't think it does.

All the people that whine about this and that, AS50? Thermal? Rocket launchers? DMR... etc. They're crying about the mod. Fine. Just understand that this has no bearing or relevance when relating to the Stand-alone. Some things may be in the SA but I for one don't think military ANYTHING has any place in the SA and I'm sure many others agree.

Ghillie Suit? Why can't we take parts of bushes, branches, tall grass, etc. and stick them/tie them to our arms, legs, hats, etc. No need for military Ghillie and it provides no armor either way. The later is certainly more inventive and you can assemble it your self and design it yourself based on your surroundings. Ghillie suits are for COD'r wannabe cool sniper kids that want to play a military game. This is zombie survival, alone in the wilderness.

I think you've just gotten used to something that was never the way it was suppose to be and for that you should not blame anyone else or the Stand-alone.

Edited by Cinnabuns
  • Like 1

I hope people will realise pressing F5 for this thread may be in vain.

If Rocket does do another dev blog update, He will have the common sense to start another thread!!

Go on just rest them fingers

you are correct - but there is a catch; the longer it takes to release SA, the more new features we will expect to already be added,

I just hope they won't try to include "everything" before they actually release SA for alpha testing

My F5 doesn't work since the last update, so I'm not playing that game anymore, will simply check the forums tomorrow ;)

While we wait for the game or more sneak peaks , here are some of the games from which Rocket is being inspired to do the new inventory...

X-Com series - UFO DEFENSE (Unknown Enemy) -

Thanks Michaelvoodoo25!

35m1md5.png

X-Com series - Terror from the Deep:

2yyt4x1.gif

X-Com series - APOCALIPSE

2hyhslv.jpg

Jagged Alliance Series: Deadly Games

2ryj411.gif

Jagged Alliance Series: Back In Action

29uwr9g.jpg

Jagged Alliance Series: Crossfire

6qicmv.jpg

Jagged Alliance 2

2u8kol4.jpg

Now question is... which aspects did Rocket implement? What would you like, seeing the images above?

Edited by Guest

This fighting over 1st person and 3rd person needs to stop. Why can nobody compromise?

I don't get the feeling that anyone is fighting though. :) Discussions like these are extremely healthy, especially for a game still in development and with developers so open to feedback from the community!

I have made my stance on the whole thing pretty clear but I do realize why others disagree and can understand many of the points brought up. As I said before; discussuions are fun! (and good)