griffinz

DayZ Devblog 4th February 2013

S.T.A.L.K.E.R series were exclusively first person (unless you changed some config files, or used some recent mods).

And they were great at that.

And lets remember that in this game you also:

-shoot mutants (kinda like zombies)

-shoots humans and have to plan your attack on buildings, on your enemies

-walk through vast scenarios day and night

-scavenge for loot

all of that on first person.

Edited by Reverie

2eydrvk.gif

errrr dafaq?

if you will actually read the forum as you suppose to (page by page), you will see that I have explained myself more.

I dont like first person because of this reason:

put your index fingers on the sides of your screen. Then test how far you can see with your peripheral vision by extending your arms until your index finger leave your vision. I can see 180° without moving my eyes or head.

When i walk around in dayz in first person with my 24" screen its no wonder i feel super blind and miss stuff. Its just very limiting.

I don't see anyone asking for 3rd person view in Battlefield or Call of Duty.

BF does have third person in vehicles :)

put your index fingers on the sides of your screen. Then test how far you can see with your peripheral vision by extending your arms until your index finger leave your vision. I can see 180° without moving my eyes or head.

When i walk around in dayz in first person with my 24" screen its no wonder i feel super blind and miss stuff. Its just very limiting.

Can you see around corners and behind yourself in real life too?

• Like 1

I can. Is that not normal?

Could you not lock of Third person view when next to walls etc?

But out running in fields I actually think it works well providing a sense of peripheral vision that’s more truer to real life.

I watch streams and it’s used extensively to see over walls while being protected. The other night a team were held up in the control tower building and one of the lads was using third to see out the windows and up at the actual tower he could look round 360 while his characters face was facing a wall being prone on the floor. I would not consider it a cheat as everyone can do it. I’ve seen only first person and to me it ramped up the tension in game for the better.

Third person is great for views of the streams all the same as it shows the bigger picture.

As far as I know, FOV values can be set in ARMA for your pleasure. And yes, you can google it.

This is exciting. The new areas, the swamp, improved animations, clothes. Love 'em.

The opening menu looks about 10 years old. The font choice is lousy. The gradient buttons, too. It doesn't look inviting. I mention it because somebody took the time to overhaul it, but they made some bad choices.

The mechanic of looking at something and then get contextual actions (open gate, etc.) or scroll wheel to change the intended behavior? I really hope this gets an overhaul.

I hope the team chooses to involve a good user interface designer who is not part of BI projects (BI is infamously bad at UI design). The simplicity of DayZ mechanics and gameplay are marvelous; the cumbersome UI takes a lot away from that simple soul of the game. I work in this field, so free feel to ping.

This is exciting. The new areas, the swamp, improved animations, clothes. Love 'em.

The opening menu looks about 10 years old. The font choice is lousy. The gradient buttons, too. It doesn't look inviting. I mention it because somebody took the time to overhaul it, but they made some bad choices.

The mechanic of looking at something and then get contextual actions (open gate, etc.) or scroll wheel to change the intended behavior? I really hope this gets an overhaul.

I hope the team chooses to involve a good user interface designer who is not part of BI projects (BI is infamously bad at UI design). The simplicity of DayZ mechanics and gameplay are marvelous; the cumbersome UI takes a lot away from that simple soul of the game. I work in this field, so free feel to ping.

There is a reason rocket stated several times in the video that it's an early pre alpha version of the game. You can expect everything to change in the coming months/years. And you should be excited about it.

And first rule : you don't say bad things on BI. Ever. They are the greatest of all, and the UI is... I would say post modern. A nice mix between eurotruck simulator and windows 95. Not that bad at all !

In real life I can feel and smell. I can also move my head naturally (without TrackIR) and can put my body in more than the dozen or so positions afforded by ARMA (not saying that ARMA isn't awesome and way ahead of other games). I can peek over and around walls a millimeter at a time, and shoot a rifle left handed, and keep both eyes open when using an OEG.

My FOV is about 180°, not 90° because I don't wear blinders (unless there's something kinky going on). I don't need icons to tell me when I'm hungry, cold thirsty, or shot. 3rd Person is an imperfect but useful way to bridge the gap between natural movement and sensory input and the limitations of a PC environment. If you're going to argue for total realism, we should also discuss the fact that my eyeballs do not "zoom in".

• Like 1

"Third person is effectively cheating. I will never permit 3rd person on our server and I've never heard anyone make a good case for it in ArmA. It's a crutch, an exploit, and unnecessary. The argument about "peripheral vision" is weak at best."

-Dslyecxi

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 3

[[regarding 3rd person offering a more realistic FOV]] Can you see around corners and behind yourself in real life too?

As a person who works on game engines for a living, there is a simple technical fix for this:

Take the same technology you use for casting shadows (this might need some work, because Arma's shadows are buggy...) and use this to cast a virtual "shadow" out from the player's head with a realistic frustum (FOV). Any dynamic objects (players, zombies, loot) that are outside the FOV/Frustum or are "in shadow" don't get drawn. Any objects that are "visible" to the "head shadow caster" are drawn.

To make this clearer to the player, any terrain/buildings that are "in shadow" or out of the head's FOV can be drawn in greyscale, so the player is aware of where their character's vision ends.

Bam. People with motion sickness can now enjoy your game in 3rd person without being accused of cheating, and people who think 3rd is more realistic (it does also give you more spatial awareness of your own body) or are simply more comfortable in that perspective can also do the same, without being able to see around corners and other unfairness.

"Third person is effectively cheating. I will never permit 3rd person on our server and I've never heard anyone make a good case for it in ArmA. It's a crutch, an exploit, and unnecessary. The argument about "peripheral vision" is weak at best."

-Dslyecxi

It is unfair (the above technique fixes that though), but note that Dslyexci does play Arma with a Track IR5, which gives him a huge advantage over 'regular' players -- in effect it gives you a much larger FOV by freely being able to move your view left/right at any time independently from your keyboard/mouse/gun/body, which is also one of the reasons for using 3rd person... Edited by ActionMan

This fighting over 1st person and 3rd person needs to stop. Why can nobody compromise? Rocket has already stated that there will be third person and first person only servers. I absolutely despise first person, but that doesn't make me want to get the OPTION of first person only servers taken out. Just like real life guys, if you don't like it, don't associate yourself with it. If you don't like third person due to whatever reason, there are options available to accommodate everyone's needs and playstyles. Again, you only surround yourself with third person players if you make yourself available to them. That's not the third person players or even the games fault. It's your own conscious decision which you try to blame everyone and everything else for. You are given the choice, it's your fault if you ignore it.

I do not like it when everyone has the option to play their own way and a minority group try to swoop in and force everyone to play their way. It's extremely selfish and narrow minded. It's all about options and compromise people, and that's exactly what standalone gives us. Why are you trying to force everyone into your own mindset when we so clearly don't have to be?

• Like 3

Isn't it cool how there is an option for people who like to play in first person to play in first person, even if it is a third person enabled server?

Those people who prefer first person must be pretty damn happy. They get their own 1st person only servers(which are dead 90% of the time), AND they get to join any 3rd person server they want and also use first person.

Now go fire up DayZ Commander and select any mod with the only filter being third person in red (search for third person disabled). I count 30 people total.

Now filter for third person in green (search for any mod + third person enabled). To many to bother counting.

This is why this argument is so hysterical. You have like 1% of the player base trying to force the other 99% of the player base into playing a style of play they don't want.

Third person isn't going anywhere.

• Like 2

So what does this say..3dp is easier, so people play it by default because they do not like the challenge or simply find it too hard to be locked in 1st all of the time ? Or is it just simply i use it because it is there, plus i can look over and around stuff ? Just wondering what your views are :)

Cant wait..so far it has proved WarZ to be a bad game..although i like WarZ its a big scam!

PLS KEEP HELI CRASHES!!

Ad better inventory like 1 button u hold down to pick it up..pls do inventory like warz

@ Het,

It's not necessarily "harder". In fact, it makes gunplay easier if you play in FPV IMO.

The main reason I prefer 3dp is, first person is FUCKING BORING. :lol:

If I wanted to watch jogging, for hours at a time, from a first person perspective, I'd go jogging.

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 2

What i want to know is why Second Person perspective is always left out of these games.

• Like 4

What i want to know is why Second Person perspective is always left out of these games.
We'd all need a Lakitu, like on Mario64.

Camping on a hill would be hassle if there's always a little fella following you around on a cloud.

Like frankieonpcin1080p said on one of his videos, you do not have all you're senses when playing so you need a little more help filling in those sense that can not be used because its just a game so third person helps out in that sort of way.

@Chab.. i been playing 1st for so long that going 3dp freaks me out :) plus 3rd always makes me feel like someone else is controlling my shit and i am a mere spectator, i want to smell my dudes fear sweating out from under his reeking chaffed armpits when he is in a tight sitch and i cannot smell that true grit from the ufo camera unfortunately.

It's a fair point, but everyone's got a different perspective on the subject.

I use both, and I like having the choice.

It'd be pretty wasteful to deny us the chance to check out all the new art assets for SA. But I agree with the argument that the uber awareness, lack of tension and "periscopes" spoil gameplay.

We'd be better having the discussion in your other topic, this one's derailed big-time.

EDIT:

So.... how 'bout dem devblogs eh?

Edited by Chabowski