griffinz

DayZ Devblog 4th February 2013

Is there going to be another video blog this week?

Rocket stated and I quote:

rocket2guns - The plan is to release a devblog every Friday. I've tried not to talk about it much on twitter because everyone (including me) gets absolutely sick and tired of all the announcement of announcements.

I haven't had the chance today because it's been an incredibly busy day, I won't work on the devblog at the expense of the project. I may end up doing it tonight, or I may end up doing it tomorrow. Or I may do it on Monday. It depends what disasters befall me between now and then.

Regardless - the official position is this: Friday's are Devblog days. But the devblog is a lower priority than actual development itself.

It is plane awesome how much detail you guys put into your game.

I am looking forward to how the developing process will continue. Take your time for a brilliant game!

You have my nut... uhm beans!

Edited by Gurk-o-vich

hmm i hope there wasnt any disaster today which prevents a new devblog update...

Honestly if actual development is always the top priority, we wont see preview videos until the release.

hmm i hope there wasnt any disaster today which prevents a new devblog update...

Honestly if actual development is always the top priority, we wont see preview videos until the release.

We'll hopefully have footage from closed external testing, which should be around the corner now...

I'll be interested to see how it works with all the zombies and loot spawning right at the server startup.

So, theoretically you will be able to wipe out all the zombies from the server? The pros and cons are hard to weigh up. I like the idea of clearing an area of zombies, but I don't want it to be too safe. There should always be the chance of zombies turning up from somewhere.

With the loot its also hard. The ability to loot cycle is a real issue for me so this is welcome change. But if every server restart becomes a rediculous swarm of maniacs trying to get the loot first, it could be tedious, or it could balance out nicely. I guess there's no way of knowing how it will affect the way people play until we're playing it.

I'll be interested to see how it works with all the zombies and loot spawning right at the server startup.

So, theoretically you will be able to wipe out all the zombies from the server? The pros and cons are hard to weigh up. I like the idea of clearing an area of zombies, but I don't want it to be too safe. There should always be the chance of zombies turning up from somewhere.

With the loot its also hard. The ability to loot cycle is a real issue for me so this is welcome change. But if every server restart becomes a rediculous swarm of maniacs trying to get the loot first, it could be tedious, or it could balance out nicely. I guess there's no way of knowing how it will affect the way people play until we're playing it.

in the video he said something about that the server measures what building need to respawn loot.

i think same will happen to zombies

I don't think it means Zeds only spawn one time and never again, just that the server spawns ALL the zeds at the start.

So they won't just be spawned by your client program as you get close to where they're supposed to be.

They'll likely be on a respawn timer, I imagine loot will be the same.

Hopefully the zeds will take a few minutes to come back and the loot will take closer to a day. It'd lead to more thorough looting of small towns etc.. More important now due to the number of enterable buildings.

All this depends on whether I've understood the info we've got.

I might be talking out of my arse.

EDIT: Sorry siew buddy, didn't notice you'd answered that already!

Edited by Chabowski
  • Like 2

is Rocket gonna be burning the midnight oil again tonight?

Edited by daze23

I don't think it means Zeds only spawn one time and never again, just that the server spawns ALL the zeds at the start.

So they won't just be spawned by your client program as you get close to where they're supposed to be.

They'll likely be on a respawn timer, I imagine loot will be the same.

Hopefully the zeds will take a few minutes to come back and the loot will take closer to a day. It'd lead to more thorough looting of small towns etc.. More important now due to the number of enterable buildings.

All this depends on whether I've understood the info we've got.

I might be talking out of my arse.

EDIT: Sorry siew buddy, didn't notice you'd answered that already!

Im hoping this will be the case, as (from a server admin point of view) it will stop all the kiddies asking/winging about, whens the next server restart!!!

Im hoping this will be the case, as (from a server admin point of view) it will stop all the kiddies asking/winging about, whens the next server restart!!!

That is the case... He talked about it in Shannon's stream iirc. Having said that I recently watched a Frankiein1080P info vid that he did about the SA and noted that it'd be possible to wipe out all the zombies (as they don't respawn). He must have got his wires crossed somewhere but I don't think such a popular figure should be spreading mis-information!

I also read Rocket saying they will be able to respawn, but I also remember him in a video thinking about a way to try and find a cure for the infection (gathering props and make a lab), maybe just a thought, but that would be neat endgame content, opens up a lot of possibilities.

rocket2guns - The plan is to release a devblog every Friday. I've tried not to talk about it much on twitter because everyone (including me) gets absolutely sick and tired of all the announcement of announcements.

I haven't had the chance today because it's been an incredibly busy day, I won't work on the devblog at the expense of the project. I may end up doing it tonight, or I may end up doing it tomorrow. Or I may do it on Monday. It depends what disasters befall me between now and then.

Regardless - the official position is this: Friday's are Devblog days. But the devblog is a lower priority than actual development itself.

So i guess no video today either.

• Like 2

So i guess no video today either.

why would you say that already? the last one basically came out at midnight

I've told rocket off for promising regular updates and never delivering them on time :P. You guys will just have to forget about the next blog update and Rocket will post 1 without prior warning

• Like 7

You guys will just have to forget about the next blog update

What blog update? I have no idea what you are talking about.

• Like 6

I've told rocket off for promising regular updates and never delivering them on time. You guys will just have to forget about the next blog update and Rocket will post 1 without prior warning

:lol: I don't blame you. Rocket gets to retreat to creative-person-land, and you guys are expected to deal with the shit-storm

• Like 3

:lol: I don't blame you. Rocket gets to retreat to creative-person-land, and you guys are expected to deal with the shit-storm

You have my beans good sir "Well said :beans: "

• Like 1

Aye that. Rocket might do his vanguard a favor by realeasing smaller updates, more often. They don't all have to be polished video commentaries. For fuck's sake throw up a couple of pictures every week and a line or two of update. I could to that much just sitting on the pooper.

• Like 1

Rocket doesn't have to always do video updates of the game itself.

What Rocket or someone at Bohemia interactive should do for blog content is to do videos about introducing us to the team of people working on the game (Artists/Coders ect.) I love how Rocket is so hands on with the game updates but they really need someone over there just for doing updates every week,so Rocket doesn't have to be bothered doing them himself and he can focus just on the Day-Z Standalone.

Edited by SuperJesusDude

So as it looks like now another 6 months before release of an alpha or beta. Could have just waited for Arma3 and used that engine. Anyways keep up the good work

I LOVE how the items are going to be more hidden and not in a corner. This aspect alone makes DayZ so much more fun!

So as it looks like now another 6 months before release of an alpha or beta. Could have just waited for Arma3 and used that engine. Anyways keep up the good work

I don't think I understand where you pulled that estimate from?

There seems to be a lot of pulling "Facts" from deep, dark, smelly places recently.

Amen, brother.