joeyslucky22

[3D model] Different Food Qualities (3/29 Update)

Am I seriously the only one that thinks incorporating Joey's and Elvaron's foods and drinks into the loot tables would be really easy? Why don't you just do eet?

no no and no.. doesn't even make any sense. what reason should they have to implement these if there is certainly no crimean sparkling wine..

no no and no.. doesn't even make any sense. what reason should they have to implement these if there is certainly no crimean sparkling wine..

There will be, trust in Elvaron/Joey. I got my nutty deliciousness that is trail mix.

I'm just saying that I'm surprised the devs haven't noticed this talent that could easily constitute a bunch of new content in an update.

Am I seriously the only one that thinks incorporating Joey's and Elvaron's foods and drinks into the loot tables would be really easy? Why don't you just do eet?

I just set up a local test environment and am now going to see if I can port the models I made over into the game. If so, it's only a matter of accepting the pull request from the devs' side (this is talking about canned foods and such, actual weapons are going to be bit ... harder).

Razor already said "do w/e you want, finish it up as a pull request on github, then we'll see", so that's what I'm gonna do.

Right now I'm rather stupidly trying to get the current snapshot (1.7.5.2 or w/e it's gonna be called) working server- & client-side, then see if I can replace all the different kinds of meat with custom meat, then comes completely custom stuff.

Edited by Elvaron

I just set up a local test environment and am now going to see if I can port the models I made over into the game. If so, it's only a matter of accepting the pull request from the devs' side (this is talking about canned foods and such, actual weapons are going to be bit ... harder).

Razor already said "do w/e you want, finish it up as a pull request on github, then we'll see", so that's what I'm gonna do.

Right now I'm rather stupidly trying to get the current snapshot (1.7.5.2 or w/e it's gonna be called) working server- & client-side, then see if I can replace all the different kinds of meat with custom meat, then comes completely custom stuff.

Cool, hope it goes well. We need to get all this stuff in the mod!

Cool, hope it goes well. We need to get all this stuff in the mod!

If only I knew what this dayz_communityassets thing was? The mystic Angel Cookies are stored in "\z\addons\dayz_communityassets\...", so I'm assuming any additional stuff would go there aswell, but where is it?

If only I knew what this dayz_communityassets thing was? The mystic Angel Cookies are stored in "\z\addons\dayz_communityassets\...", so I'm assuming any additional stuff would go there aswell, but where is it?

Don't ask me! I have no idea. Wish I could assist but my knowledge ends way before where you are. :)

Don't ask me! I have no idea. Wish I could assist but my knowledge ends way before where you are. :)

Yea, I raised an issue on github, see if I can get some response from razor. In the meantime, I'll just throw it into dayz_code like I just don't care.

Since Joey seems to have some experience already getting stuff ported to DayZ, wanna PM me a quick-step to save the time? ;)

Edited by Elvaron

Yea, I raised an issue on github, see if I can get some response from razor. In the meantime, I'll just throw it into dayz_code like I just don't care.

Since Joey seems to have some experience already getting stuff ported to DayZ, wanna PM me a quick-step to save the time? ;)

*shrug* I haven't looked into porting anything into DayZ yet.

*shrug* I haven't looked into porting anything into DayZ yet.

So that screenshot on page 1 is just a photoshop? *disappointed*

Anyways, looks like dayz_communityassets is the way to go and will be added to github soonish, so... keep your fingers crossed.

Plus, some fun changes in the latest build... Chance based sight&hearing replaced by actual one. Those bushes have just become nigh useless to get rid off zombies. And they spawn everywhere! On beaches, in the middle of fields. Fun :) Also found a few arrows, now to find a quiver and test that thing :D Looks like it doesn't have it's own texture/model yet though?

Edited by Elvaron

So that screenshot on page 1 is just a photoshop? *disappointed*

Anyways, looks like dayz_communityassets is the way to go and will be added to github soonish, so... keep your fingers crossed.

Plus, some fun changes in the latest build... Chance based sight&hearing replaced by actual one. Those bushes have just become nigh useless to get rid off zombies. And they spawn everywhere! On beaches, in the middle of fields. Fun :)

Wait, sorry, explain? What does community assets mean? And please explain the 'actual' sight and hearing?

Wait, sorry, explain? What does community assets mean? And please explain the 'actual' sight and hearing?

DayZ consists of multiple packages: dayz.pbo, dayz_equip.pbo, dayz_vehicles.pbo and dayz_weapons.pbo we aren't allowed to touch (if I'm guessing correctly), whereas dayz_anim.pbo, dayz_code.pbo, dayz_sfx.pbo and dayz_server.pbo are github'd open source and the community devs put all their changes into those. However, models and texture reside mostly in _equip and _weapons, so in order to add new models / textures / icons / pictures, a dayz_communityassets.pbo was created (again, I'm only speculating on the tiny factoids I've picked up). Also, the community dev team apparently can't license any assets, so if you commit stuff like models & textures, other mods of DayZ can use them just aswell. Not a big problem, especially since (I think?) we can just make them binary models (meaning other people can't just open them and play around with it), unless anything SA-wise speaks against it. *Rocket, speak out now or be forever silent lol*

'Actual' sight and hearing: They check line of sight and the sound you make for whether a zed aggros rather than having a random chance of aggro weighted by those attributes...again, only estimating from the patch notes in that "current bugs" thread and what I see ingame. Result: From the 15 zeds i picked up at komarovo just by running in the nearby forest, 10 followed me all the way to balota. And I picked one up at the beach, and one in the open fields. Fun :D Thank god for hatchets.

Edited by Elvaron

DayZ consists of multiple packages: dayz.pbo, dayz_equip.pbo, dayz_vehicles.pbo and dayz_weapons.pbo we aren't allowed to touch (if I'm guessing correctly), whereas dayz_anim.pbo, dayz_code.pbo, dayz_sfx.pbo and dayz_server.pbo are github'd open source and the community devs put all their changes into those. However, models and texture reside mostly in _equip and _weapons, so in order to add new models / textures / icons / pictures, a dayz_communityassets.pbo was created (again, I'm only speculating on the tiny factoids I've picked up). Also, the community dev team apparently can't license any assets, so if you commit stuff like models & textures, other mods of DayZ can use them just aswell. Not a big problem, especially since (I think?) we can just make them binary models (meaning other people can't just open them and play around with it), unless anything SA-wise speaks against it. *Rocket, speak out now or be forever silent lol*

'Actual' sight and hearing: They check line of sight and the sound you make for whether a zed aggros rather than having a random chance of aggro weighted by those attributes...again, only estimating from the patch notes in that "current bugs" thread and what I see ingame. Result: From the 15 zeds i picked up at komarovo just by running in the nearby forest, 10 followed me all the way to balota. And I picked one up at the beach, and one in the open fields. Fun :D Thank god for hatchets.

So, would that mean they were in the game?

So, would that mean they were in the game?

Not sure what you're asking?

Anyways, 3DS Max export plugin seems to produce a p3d but failed to bake textures. Going to try the Blender export script next (requiring import from 3ds for proper support. Which means modeling in Maya because I like that one best, then import in 3DS Max, then import in Blender, then export to ArmA. Thank god my job comes with a bunch of licenses). Python, don't let me down this time!

If that doesn't work, I might just write my own Maya exporter :(

Sure makes for an interesting desktop view:

mkfb6v.png

But still cant get it imported to Blender while retaining UV mapping / material :(

Edited by Elvaron

Not sure what you're asking?

I am just a bit confused as to how these community_assets work. I have never heard of them nor seen any community-made objects in game. If they were to go into this community_assets place, would they be in the mod? Or would you still have to do a github pull and all that jazz? I don't understand really what you're up to. :/

I am just a bit confused as to how these community_assets work. I have never heard of them nor seen any community-made objects in game. If they were to go into this community_assets place, would they be in the mod? Or would you still have to do a github pull and all that jazz? I don't understand really what you're up to. :/

It's a package not used yet b/c of the license thing, I fathom it'd be shipped with the usual client files when someone actually adds stuff to it ;)

Also, I freaking hate Oxygen 2 (the arma modeling tool thing), it doesn't like anything you do. How anyone would have ever managed to export something to p3d and got it to work is beyond me.

*Open Call* Find me a sane path through the file format jungle that leads to a working p3d file with texture and uv mapping intact? I can get my model into 3DS Max, Blender and Maya without any problems, but none of the exporters seem to result in anything O2 can use.

At the best of times I get a defunct reference to a texture file O2 can't find (even if i were to put one in the same folder as the .obj or .3ds i import, with the same name, in .paa format) and it says it has no mapping attached to it (even though the UV Editor in O2 clearly shows an intact UV map) *sigh* Piece of crap software.

Edited by Elvaron

It's a package not used yet b/c of the license thing, I fathom it'd be shipped with the usual client files when someone actually adds stuff to it ;)

Also, I freaking hate Oxygen 2 (the arma modeling tool thing), it doesn't like anything you do. How anyone would have ever managed to export something to p3d and got it to work is beyond me.

*Open Call* Find me a sane path through the file format jungle that leads to a working p3d file with texture and uv mapping intact? I can get my model into 3DS Max, Blender and Maya without any problems, but none of the exporters seem to result in anything O2 can use.

At the best of times I get a defunct reference to a texture file O2 can't find (even if i were to put one in the same folder as the .obj or .3ds i import, with the same name, in .paa format) and it says it has no mapping attached to it (even though the UV Editor in O2 clearly shows an intact UV map) *sigh* Piece of crap software.

OK, I don't really know what you're trying to do but I am browsing google.. Are you trying to load in a .p3d?

Also, if you are having trouble with textures, BI forums suggests this:

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/brsseb/tutorials/start/start.htm

About as much help as I can be. Sorry. I'll keep looking though.

Edited by Ingasmeeg
  • Like 1

OK, I don't really know what you're trying to do but I am browsing google.. Are you trying to load in a .p3d?

Also, if you are having trouble with textures, BI forums suggests this:

http://ofp.gamepark....start/start.htm

About as much help as I can be. Sorry. I'll keep looking though.

Pretty sure that's for when you want to combine Oxygen2 (lousy excuse for a 3d studio) and Bulldozer (map editor - not to be confused with the mission editor from ingame).

What I'm trying to do is pretty simple in itself: You have a scene file in Maya(.mb)/Blender(.blend)/3D Studio Max(.max) with various cross-import/-export tools between those 3, each tool coming with an abundance of config options. However, we need the model in a .p3d file for ArmA2 to be able to load it, and if the result is a proper p3d file you should be able to view it's geometry and texturing within Oxygen 2.

However, Oxygen 2 can't read any of these 3 file formats listed above, but it can import .obj and .3ds, both formats that all 3 programs can export (or can be exported by using a maximum of 2 of these tools). There is also a plugin for direct .p3d export for Blender and for 3D Studio Max.

Here comes the fun part: No combination of any of these above listed programs does, via export/import nor via direct .p3d export, yield a working .p3d file with geometry AND texture AND uv mapping. I don't know if I'm using the tools in a wrong fashion (unlikely, as I followed the instructions), they plain don't work anymore because they were written 4 years ago, or it's just the fact that Oxygen 2 is like using Microsoft WordPad to write an academic paper...

It's probably the latter, and you have to do things just the right way for Oxygen 2 to work it's magic, but since it neither communicates properly, nor is it's interface accessible enough to fix any export mistakes, I'm at a loss...

Heureka! I seem to have managed to create a proper p3d! Now to see if I can get it to work ingame...

Edited by Elvaron

Pretty sure that's for when you want to combine Oxygen2 (lousy excuse for a 3d studio) and Bulldozer (map editor - not to be confused with the mission editor from ingame).

What I'm trying to do is pretty simple in itself: You have a scene file in Maya(.mb)/Blender(.blend)/3D Studio Max(.max) with various cross-import/-export tools between those 3, each tool coming with an abundance of config options. However, we need the model in a .p3d file for ArmA2 to be able to load it, and if the result is a proper p3d file you should be able to view it's geometry and texturing within Oxygen 2.

However, Oxygen 2 can't read any of these 3 file formats listed above, but it can import .obj and .3ds, both formats that all 3 programs can export (or can be exported by using a maximum of 2 of these tools). There is also a plugin for direct .p3d export for Blender and for 3D Studio Max.

Here comes the fun part: No combination of any of these above listed programs does, via export/import nor via direct .p3d export, yield a working .p3d file with geometry AND texture AND uv mapping. I don't know if I'm using the tools in a wrong fashion (unlikely, as I followed the instructions), they plain don't work anymore because they were written 4 years ago, or it's just the fact that Oxygen 2 is like using Microsoft WordPad to write an academic paper...

It's probably the latter, and you have to do things just the right way for Oxygen 2 to work it's magic, but since it neither communicates properly, nor is it's interface accessible enough to fix any export mistakes, I'm at a loss...

Heureka! I seem to have managed to create a proper p3d! Now to see if I can get it to work ingame...

If that doesn't work, then the only other thing I could suggest would be to download their example files and turn them into the item you want. Not sure how, but that's what I'm reading.

Good to hear you got something going. What items are you testing out? Anything apart from the Voddler bar?

Edited by Ingasmeeg

If that doesn't work, then the only other thing I could suggest would be to download their example files and turn them into the item you want. Not sure how, but that's what I'm reading.

Good to hear you got something going. What items are you testing out? Anything apart from the Voddler bar?

Voddler bar first :) If I can get one thing to work, we'll see where we stand. Right now I'm getting an object could not be loaded error, now I'm going to place the darn files directly into one of the pbos that I know work to rule out the PBO not being loaded for some reason. If that fails, I'm missing something essential or it's using absolute paths or something somewhere.

Voddler bar first :) If I can get one thing to work, we'll see where we stand. Right now I'm getting an object could not be loaded error, now I'm going to place the darn files directly into one of the pbos that I know work to rule out the PBO not being loaded for some reason. If that fails, I'm missing something essential or it's using absolute paths or something somewhere.

And then what?

I'm off to bed. Good luck with your exploits and I hope we will be making some headway soon.

And then what?

I'm off to bed. Good luck with your exploits and I hope we will be making some headway soon.

I'd hope for trail mix / pistachios / similar food items. Anything that requires feature work, I'd have to either implement myself and hope razor likes it, or talk to him about it.

But I'm still getting the cannot load object error, so we'll see... I went through a bunch of arma 2 related threads, and I think I can narrow it down to these possibilities:

- Paths not properly set in the .p3d or similar

- PBO Manager binarizes the .p3d, AO2 can't load binarized models (if i read that correctly) - This one's the winner!

- The PBO for some reason isn't loaded correctly

- I need to add some config code somewhere that I can't find in any of the existing codebase.

It works! I brought the voddler chocolate bar into the game :D

I'll just leave this here....

34zhk3p.png

4gq0d5.jpg

Edited by Elvaron
  • Like 6

Hello there

Be aware that Max sometimes exports "broken" .obj files. I usually have to reconvert them to .obj's(again) in another package to get them to function correctly.

Rgds

LoK

Be aware that Max sometimes exports "broken" .obj files. I usually have to reconvert them to .obj's(again) in another package to get them to function correctly.

I hear Maya's obj export is even worse (non-conforming with the OBJ standard). Tbh, I already forgot from which program over which file format I finally managed to get it working in Oxygen 2, but I think I actually used the 3DS .p3d export tool, fixing the texture and material assignment in oxygen (box around all vertices, hit E, select texture & rvmat files. don't touch the stuff above that. see if it works with the bulldozer integration, if so, change the paths to be relative again by hitting E and removing anything below your project folder). Save as p3d again, manually make sure the rvmat file is pointing to the correct texture (relative path again) and use BinPBO to package. Test ingame, if derpy scale/translate/rotate in O2, rinse and repeat.

Tomorrow raw and cooked meat versions for the different kinds of meat, if the result turns out well (will rely on you guys' feedback in this thread), I'll commit to github so it can go into the next version.

Might wait with that until that devblog update comes, see if Word of God has anything to say about this kind of stuff.

Then custom food.

Also nice to see how the stuff actually looks ingame. I can easily downscale textures and polycounts without losing visible detail :D

Edited by Elvaron
  • Like 1

Wow - good stuff.

@Joey has Rocket seen any of your stuff yet?

No word yet but I did send Matt his twinkies :)

modeled and textured in 4 hours

lwVBNQz.jpg

• Like 6