joeyslucky22

[3D model] Different Food Qualities (3/29 Update)

So, we've got a few items tested in-game, what's the next step? Is it a reasonable simple job to get them all mod-worthy and up on GitHub?

Also, sorry if it seems like I'm pushing this somewhat, I just really think it could add a bit of flavour and colour to the mod while the team is trying to sort out 1.7.5.1. The community can help out! :D

We'll be lucky if we can get SOME items in for 1.7.6... we'll see.

Right now I'm testing a quiver for it, screenshots:

1zpmbmw.png

Edited by Elvaron
  • Like 6

I've pointed Scubaman3D towards this thread, let's hope he see's how talented you guys are and offers you some work ;)

• Like 4

Phew!

After a solid 10 hours of fiddling around with Blender, Oxygen 2 (BIs modeling program), and getting some excellent pointers from Elvaron, I've finally figured it out!

If interested, here was my process (Just so I remember what I did and maybe it will help someone else out too):

- Downloaded and installed BI_Tools_2.5 - http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BI_Tools_2.5

- Reset computer to find the new "P:/" drive

- Create the 3D mesh in Blender

- Unwrap the UVs and bake an ambient occlusion onto an alphaless 512 x 512 texture - save that texture

- Create a diffuse map in photoshop

- use the image from blender as a "multiply" layer above all texture work

- Check out the final texture in blender and export the model as an .obj file

- Make sure normals are facing the correct direction (outwards)

- Include normals in the .obj export, exclude materials

- Create textures for a "SUPER" .rvmat in Photoshop (diffuse, specular, normal, detail, ambient)

- Coincidentally, I came across an old BI forum post of Dean's which helped me out a ton! Thanks Dean! :beans:

- Manually create a .rvmat file to be used with O2 (can be adjusted later)

- Import the .obj into Oxygen 2

- Master scale - 0.19 (this will need tweaking)

- Invert X (or the UV will be flipped for some reason)

- hit "E" to assign texture & .rvmat

- Test it out on the bulldozer preview

- Dig it? Cool, save that shit as a .p3d

DONE! Now to test it in game... (this stuff I'm keeping vague atm.. IGNORE ME!)

- github magic

- Put that shit in the P:/dayz_communityassets folder

- make adjustments to dayz_code

- BinPBO it (not binary)

- Drop it in /@DayZ (backup the dayz_code files first)

- Run ARMA and press Alt + E at the menu to enter the dayz singleplayer mission editor and spawn stuff (

)

(this may not all make sense at the moment.. currently typing this up at 5 am)

The result:

4X3l1Lv.jpg

I only have the one can at the moment but man... does it feel good having finally figured it out :)

I'll want to iron out my workflow and hopefully get some dev feedback but until then, I can happily go on texturing with a better understanding of it all :)

Mission accomplished. Now, to bed!

• Like 9

Just a little thing for the few modelers in here, whenever you put a download link, don't forget to include your licensing terms.

the creative common licenses are fairly easy to understand and flexible enough to allow others to use your work, and all the legal crap is already done.

https://creativecommons.org/choose/ i would suggest CC-BY-NC which ensure that you remain credited as the creator and disallow commercial use, but there are a few more, or less restrictive ones.

It's just that, internet being plunder land for most people, it's better to be clear on that stuff.

• Like 2

I'm not even putting anything in that, I just reference the model and picture in dayz_code's cfgmagazine file.

@Joey: If it annoys you that I'm hijacking your thread all this time, just let me know and I'll make a seperate one ;)

In other news: Bacon is finished (unless someone objects):

2uqoruu.png

(Raw bacon is seen a few posts above)

Updated the gear picture a bit (snapshot from TexViewer):

e00ikm.png

Also, devblog post is up but no word on player-made content. Good thing I started putting this stuff into the mod. If the SA doesn't want it, so be it.

BBBBAAACCCCOOON <3

We'll be lucky if we can get SOME items in for 1.7.6... we'll see.

Right now I'm testing a quiver for it, screenshots:

1zpmbmw.png

Would this quiver work just like an ammo clip? In that once it's been used, it's gone?

I guess that's how it would have to be now, unless someone could change the code.

How do you cook bacon on a campfire?

And you should add a bacon package as the "raw bacon". I don't see how cooking one bacon strip turns it into 4 of them.

The quivers need to be part of the clothing system, like holsters and pockets. Obviously I mean the standalone.

Edited by Sutinen

After a solid 10 hours of fiddling around with Blender, Oxygen 2 (BIs modeling program), and getting some excellent pointers from Elvaron, I've finally figured it out!

*tosses a bottle of beer over* Cheers, mate! Glad you got it working.

Btw, you did see the python export script for .p3d Blender has somewhere, right? *should have told earlier*

How do you cook bacon on a campfire?

And you should add a bacon package as the "raw bacon". I don't see how cooking one bacon strip turns it into 4 of them.

Also, quivers need to be part of the clothing system, like holsters and pockets. Obviously I mean the standalone.

Ooh, boy.

1st How do you cook steaks on a campfire?

2nd the raw bacon is more like this:

upuu9.jpg

Just not as much mass. It's a piece of boar meat, not cut, not salted, not dried, not fried, nothing. If it's big enough, you can throw it at someone like a rock. But carrying around raw stripes would be idiotic, you don't just cut your meat into pieces before you start cooking. I'm not packaging it, gutting a boar doesnt come with a Wal-Mart bag.

3rd The raw bacon is cut into stripes (in this case 4) and fried during cooking. The assumption is that you somehow cut your meat as you cook it. You can't just kill an animal, cut a piece of flesh out of it, throw it on a fire and hope to get an edible result. The game already makes that kind of allusion, you just didn't see it yet ;)

4th You'll see the quiver in the mod sooner than you think. I just provided a model.

Would this quiver work just like an ammo clip? In that once it's been used, it's gone?

I guess that's how it would have to be now, unless someone could change the code.

Nope, that's not how it works. You'll see soon enough. Trying not to be an ass to the guy who coded it, just because I show-case the model.

Just a little thing for the few modelers in here, whenever you put a download link, don't forget to include your licensing terms.

Nope. The way I was told, the mod team can't use any licensed stuff whatsoever. If we license our stuff even cut-my-own-throat-free-for-all style, they can't use it.

Edited by Elvaron

Nice work guys.

And just to be pedantic - but aren't crossbow "arrows" actually called Bolts?

• Like 2

Haha, we had the same discussion on github. I've browsed a bunch of hunting websites that sell stuff like bows, crossbows, accessories and whatnot. Even they mix it up in the weirdest fashion.

E.g. '20" Broadhead Crossbow Bolt' Product description 'Arrow length: 20'

I'm guessing they're supposed to be bolts, but since the original shape of the bolts isn't really in use other than pistol-sized crossbows, the bolt has turned into an arrow.

Edited by Elvaron

Nice work guys.

True, but then again I used to fire parts of an old VW with mine.

*fun fact* firing parts of a VW (although you may think they resemble crossbow bolts) is a very bad idea and mat result in an embarrassing lump on ones head.

Great modelling btw chaps.

Rgds

Lok

• Like 4

I didn't think anyone would start cutting a meat steak into pieces and calling it "bacon" in the apocalypse.. I thought it would be found in supermarkets.

I didn't think anyone would start cutting a meat steak into pieces and calling it "bacon" in the apocalypse.. I thought it would be found in supermarkets.

Did you see 1.7.5.1 changelog? Every animal has different raw and cooked meat types now.

Raw mutton, cooked mutton, raw rabbit, cooked rabbit, raw chicken leg, chicken leg, raw beef, steak, raw bacon, bacon.

I just add new graphics and models for these types so bacon doesn't look like a steak.

Edited by Elvaron

Very nice, but I don't think aluminium Soda Cans rust.

Sorry just realized you already mentioned that in your post haha. muhbad.

Can we get the community to give a simple video tutorial for this? That way the community could start cranking out massive amounts of possible 3d models :)))))))))))).

Can we get the community to give a simple video tutorial for this? That way the community could start cranking out massive amounts of possible 3d models :)))))))))))).

If you go to the Blender website there's loads of guides there already made by their community, it'll get you up and running but be warned it takes time to learn. It's free software and is pretty amazing.

Here's where you need to go: http://www.blender.org/

Edited by Fraggle

Sorry, but I didn't mean to be offensive if that's what you're saying.

No, no, I'm not being offended in the least ;) Just saying I don't want to spoiler too much :D

• Like 2

just passing by...how is my sparkling wine doing?

I expect a photoshop-version of a bottle on a porch of a grand manor on the top of a cliff, facing the evening sun of the nearby located shore, next to it a handsigned edition of "war and peace"...

Naaahh.. i'll be generous tonight, let's say tomorrow till 10.30 am CET.

Thank you and good day to you.

2cxctg.gif

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

just passing by...how is my sparkling wine doing?

I expect a photoshop-version of a bottle on a porch of a grand manor on the top of a cliff, facing the evening sun of the nearby located shore, next to it a handsigned edition of "war and peace"...

Naaahh.. i'll be generous tonight, let's say till 10.30 am CET.

Thank you and good day to you.

2cxctg.gif

listening Rachmaninov records on an old Grammophon

In case you guys wonder where the updates are.... Joey is getting up to speed with getting his stuff ingame, and I got hooked on KSP... Have to finish some work-related stuff tomorrow and monday, so... no updates from me until tuesday :(

• Like 1