bad_mojo (DayZ)

Main hive anarchy

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/119559-admin-banned-from-us2419-appeal/#entry1145620

This is a horribly bad way to handle this situation. I'm am very disappointed in the warz(wow, I actually typed that?!?) DayZ team right now.

My question is WHY? Why can't one or two members of the community be appointed to police the main hive?

The main hive was the one place you could go and get some level of consistency from server to server. Now, the rules have been thrown out, so what's the point? Essentially they're allowed to disable BE and spawn in loot and take it to the rest of the hive. Great. How about non-pvp servers (oh wait, they're already doing that).

Standalone better not go down the same road. I'll still play it, but this stuff is ruining DayZ for me.

I'm still waiting for action to be taken on facoptere's "bandit auto-kick script" on FR 34 and 129.

It was expected resources would be directed elsewhere especially with all the SA stuff.

I always thought the main Hive was Hacker central? If they could not fix it, It would make sense to let it go.

I'm still waiting for action to be taken on facoptere's "bandit auto-kick script" on FR 34 and 129.

Just go play on another server. His script only kicks people with extremely negative humanity because most of the times that is hacked.

It was expected resources would be directed elsewhere especially with all the SA stuff.

I always thought the main Hive was Hacker central? If they could not fix it, It would make sense to let it go.

Perhaps on some servers, but I've played US303 for months without hacking problems. Not all the good admins went running to private hives.

Edited by bad_mojo

Just go play on another server. His script only kicks people with extremely negative humanity because most of the times that is hacked.

I've never played on his server, not once :lol:

I just wanted to see something done since there is clear proof that his servers violate the public hive rules.

I think everything in DayZ should be dumbed in private just like everything is and have always been in Arma. I believe those rules were written Arma community in a mind because they obey those kind of rules but when the mainstream comes in everything explodes.

In the standalone things need to be done differently and there needs to be these main hive polices because it isn't a mod anymore. Now DayZ is only a mod so you really can't hire hive polices.

Now DayZ is only a mod so you really can't hire hive polices.

For the most part, the community polices itself. We just need someone with the power to act.

Honestly it's a job that requires very minimal work. Basically they'd follow the server report and ban appeal forums and then follow up with some investigation in some cases. It's not like they have to watch every server and make sure everything is going right. The players will make it known when something is wrong.

Your complaints are valid. I would like to see paid GameOps in the standalone but I think this is an unreasonable expectation for the support volunteers in the mod especially after it exploded in popularity. The system worked when the mod was relatively small but is impractical nowadays. To be clear the rules haven't been "thrown out the window" but the reality is there is very little if any support for the mod anymore. Nothing has suddenly changed, it's been this way for some time now. I'm just stating the obvious. Personally I'd rather be frank with people if there is no longer an active support team to deal with these reports and hasn't been for some time.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 3

Smash, I know and agree with you. But, as a moderator of these forums your words carry extra meaning. People will now cite your words when they pressure server admins to break the "rules". The illusion of a punishment is no more. All doubt is gone.

So, if your going to be vocal and honest about it, I'm going to be vocal in calling for changes to the system. Why can't volunteers from the community administrate the hive? Community members are already developing the game, would it really hurt to give someone the power to blacklist servers from the hive? Even if they're incompetent and only blacklist the most obvious of cases, that's better than nothing.

I guess I get too worked up over DayZ politics. I need to find a new game.

Edit: Also, please don't take anything I say as criticism of the mod team or you personally Smash, you're all doing a great job. I'm just frustrated at the whole situation.

Edited by bad_mojo
  • Like 2

I think its gotten blown a little out control with references to this thread OP has posted. It seems fairly obvious that things have changed over time as most things do and priorities have been placed IMO into more important areas. With all the surrounding factors in-line the mod team has done a damn good job even looking into the many cases that get posted on a weekly basis. I see how some can be frustrated but this late in the mod's lifecycle and its transformation into eventually the SA, the workload would be excessive to try and pin to any of the teams involved as another task to complete. Mojo I see your side and your opinions, however I dont think its going to help much. In my eyes its like trying to resuscitate a guy in a coffin, its just not going to happen. I dont feel fingers should be pointed in any direction as its not a circumstance of hey they dont give a feck, its more like they are damn busy and shouldnt have to find time to pick up broken pieces. For everytime there is a I got banned unfairly by a dick admin post, there is a why did I get global banned post three days later asking how do I get unbanned globally now from the same player. I'd prefer all involved to continue on the current tasks they are accomplishing, rather then take steps backwards so down the road I may be sipping red wine in the standalone vs playing on a public mod server that is being bombed by hackers daily thinking hey at least we know the admins cant kick us for being a bandit. All my opinion and preference but I truly appreciate what teams deal with around here in the community and I dont think they should be disrespected on this topic.

I dont see how or why this would want to be hacked. I loved when I could see my humanity. I was almost -700k. I could see it getting hacked to be a hero I guess for the skin, but I dont see how anyone would hack to be a bandit.

I'm a bandit. That doesn't mean Im a negative person. I meet people and team up and stuff. Most of the times I kill someone is because I was shot at first. I also help unarmed people get a better spawn :P

I'm a good bandit :D

Edited by WooTs

In short: Everyone is moving to Private Hives, if anything I see that as for the better. Why bother trying to report a Main Hive server when you have hundreds if not thousands of other servers to choose from?

I understand that when SA comes around that there will be much more tolerance for whats going on, and probably a new set of rules. However I haven't heard much about it nor do I know if we're going to change how we work now.

Huh? Players all kind of humanity can play on my servers. The trick is that some slots are reserved for each humanity range.

btw, generally all cheaters I ban have a very negative humanity. It's just statistics.

The long thread started by dick head wallace ( I really did not appreciate the truncated PM snapshot) make me laugh, since it is totally bullshit.

Who still plays main hive chernarus? Must be a minority of players by now. Private Hives are better managed, less laggy, have more features (such as working fuel stations, more weapons/vehicles), and are generally hacker free (depending on admin awareness).

Smash, I know and agree with you. But, as a moderator of these forums your words carry extra meaning. People will now cite your words when they pressure server admins to break the "rules". The illusion of a punishment is no more. All doubt is gone.

So, if your going to be vocal and honest about it, I'm going to be vocal in calling for changes to the system. Why can't volunteers from the community administrate the hive? Community members are already developing the game, would it really hurt to give someone the power to blacklist servers from the hive? Even if they're incompetent and only blacklist the most obvious of cases, that's better than nothing.

I guess I get too worked up over DayZ politics. I need to find a new game.

Edit: Also, please don't take anything I say as criticism of the mod team or you personally Smash, you're all doing a great job. I'm just frustrated at the whole situation.

@Bad-mojo - I agree with you in parts and we share your frustrations. The fact of the matter is that the system was set up a long time ago when server issues could be handled by a small team of volunteers. There is now many more servers and to police them properly by looking at each case individually just isn't possible anymore. It would be a full time job for whoever is involved.

This has actually been the case for quite a while and I'm actually relieved that people are now clearer as to the situation and are no longer under the illusion that there is a team working behind the scenes to deal with each server report. It takes the pressure off of us (I get a lot of PM's asking me to look at server complaints) and people now know where they stand.

It's a far from ideal situation but it's just how it is I'm afraid. When Rocket made a statement on these forums to endorse private hives he accepted that private hives were able to fix many of the issues plaguing the public ones. He said the rules would be relaxed but action would still be taken if public admins acted in a way that harmed the name or public image of DayZ. We could of course try to rebuild a team of people to police these servers but it's not as easy as it sounds. Finding people willing to stick with it is not easy, it was not easy when the project was much smaller and it would actually require a pretty big operation to do it properly now considering the amount of servers available. When it's this close to the SA release I just can't see that happening.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Who still plays main hive chernarus?

hackers and the blindly optimistic newbies mainly

Edited by wabbit

@Bad-mojo - I agree with you in parts and we share your frustrations. The fact of the matter is that the system was set up a long time ago when server issues could be handled by a small team of volunteers. There is now many more servers and to police them properly by looking at each case individually just isn't possible anymore. It would be a full time job for whoever is involved.

This has actually been the case for quite a while and I'm actually relieved that people are now clearer as to the situation and are no longer under the illusion that there is a team working behind the scenes to deal with each server report. It takes the pressure off of us (I get a lot of PM's asking me to look at server complaints) and people now know where they stand.

It's a far from ideal situation but it's just how it is I'm afraid. When Rocket made a statement on these forums to endorse private hives he accepted that private hives were able to fix many of the issues plaguing the public ones. He said the rules would be relaxed but action would still be taken if public admins acted in a way that harmed the name or public image of DayZ. We could of course try to rebuild a team of people to police these servers but it's not as easy as it sounds. Finding people willing to stick with it is not easy, it was not easy when the project was much smaller and it would actually require a pretty big operation to do it properly now considering the amount of servers available. When it's this close to the SA release I just can't see that happening.

for many i fear reading this must be like finally realising that there is no god, that we are all alone and at the mercy of an uncaring universe/public hive

I was under the impression that private hives were no better. I won't put names out there, but I recall several "clans" had private hives. They were decent at keeping hackers out. Unfortunately the clan members themselves, the server admin(s), were the worst offenders for spawning hacked gear.

I could be wrong. Just never interpreted private hives as a better option unless you personally know and trust the admins

• Like 1

I was under the impression that private hives were no better. I won't put names out there, but I recall several "clans" had private hives. They were decent at keeping hackers out. Unfortunately the clan members themselves, the server admin(s), were the worst offenders for spawning hacked gear.

I could be wrong. Just never interpreted private hives as a better option unless you personally know and trust the admins

if power corrupts then absolute power corrupts absolutely

• Like 1

As with any server, it's only as good as the admins running it. There's 100's of terrible private servers but the ones that are run well and responsibly really do allow you to play DayZ as it was originally intended. It really is worth taking the time to find one and then supporting it. For me it changed my whole experience of DayZ for the better. There was a point in the past when I nearly gave up playing entirely and then I found a good private hive and I've never looked back.

• Like 2

As with any server, it's only as good as the admins running it. There's 100's of terrible private servers but the ones that are run well and responsibly really do allow you to play DayZ as it was originally intended. It really is worth taking the time to find one and then supporting it. For me it changed my whole experience of DayZ for the better. There was a point in the past when I nearly gave up playing entirely and then I found a good private hive and I've never looked back.

yep, there are some good uns out there, they are few but they are there.