Sign in to follow this  
bambi_dimes

Cars in Dayz

i know this idea has already been thought. I just had a better version of it.

Cars are an important part to DayZ especially my SUV.

So in a real life apocalyptic situations why would you leave your vehicle Unlocked and with the keys inside the vehicle? Which it seems that's the situation with the mod right now where if someones stumbles on a vehicle in the forest that was hidden, they can just hop in and start the engine and drive off with all that time and work you put into it.

So here is my suggestion.

When you first find a vehicle at a spawn point it should be unlocked. Now, when you seach the gear there will be an item called car keys which go into some sort of inventory slot. Whether it be tools so you'll be limited as to how many you carry, or item slots. You should also be able to lock it so no one can take stuff from the gear. Now if someone were to stumble upon it they would either have to shoot out the windows and unlock it to get to the gear or use a kit. after the guy is in the vehicle he will have to find a hotwiring kit of some sort to start it up.

Here's the fun part...

Let say you're in the area. You hear or see that person around your car looting it and what not. So you have an encounter. If the guy stealing it somehow kills you and he searches your body and he finds car keys on you. Well then the cycle continues until the car is destroyed and then its at it's spawn point once again with the car keys in the gear.

And of course the keys won't be universal so you won't be able to find a crappy skoda, take the keys for it and go to where you know there's an SUV in the wilderness and use them to start it up.

So yeah that's about it unless anyone else has some more input or a different version.

Personally I believe this way we can balance the car thefts and wilderness wanderers that go looking for peoples bases in hopes of getting a car farely easily.

Edited by bambi_dimes
  • Like 3

Sounds great! I read another topic that was talking about having to find car keys. I think it'd be good then again what if you lose those keys somehow? Maybe something like being able to use a coathanger as an example would help.

Rocket has mentioned vehicles will undergo a lot of improvements in the Standalone. Not initially but overtime it will be accomplished.

I wish you good luck with this topic and hopefully this idea will be considered :)

Or...or...or we could just get in and hot-wire. Seriously though, I would like to see hot-wiring instead of magical starting cars. I personally wouldn't love keys but I wouldn't mind if they are there.

Edited by MacabreLlama99

Yeah... Or I can break your glass window with my assault rifle, unlock the door from the inside, and then use my toolbox to hotwire your car.

• Like 2

Pretty cool idea, let's see how the devs adressed it if they ever thought about put it inside the SA.

I also want to consider setting a car alarm as part of the Standalone. Such as bumping, trying to unlock the vehicle would set off the alarm. It'd attract zombies and scare off any offenders trying to steal your vehicle allowing the owner of the car being alerted of a thief.

• Like 2

but toolboxes are fairly easy to find so i can't say thats a good idea.

but cars aren't...

I think at the moment it is assumed we are hot wiring the car. How else are we driving, or are the keys in the ignition?

I think actually having car keys is a step too far, but i like the idea of being able to take something out of the car so someone cant just jump in and drive off. If they want to do that they will have to repair the car again.

Perhaps you could dis engage the car by removing the battery for example.

Awesome suggestion! I just hope that Hot wiring the car isn't that accessible like having some kind of a Mechanic much like skyrim's pick lock but much much more intricate and time consuming.

Awesome suggestion! I just hope that Hot wiring the car isn't that accessible like having some kind of a Mechanic much like skyrim's pick lock but much much more intricate and time consuming.

in reality hotwiring is incredibly easy so i dont understand why it would need to be intricate or time consuming, the ability to remove the car battery or the need to replace an empty battery would be nice however as it means a car with a dodgy battery might not start and therefore it is stuck (means people cant just joyride from gas station to gas station without worrying about anything)

Its a pretty cool suggestion, however someone already posted a idea similar to this one you could of just added on to his idea instead of making a new thread, and considering your post count im assuming you didn't come up with this idea all by yourself.

clever idea.i'd like to see the same in buildings,being able to barricade a door in a house and lock it so they'll have to shoot it open,lockpick it or kill and loot you in order to take the key.but that needs way too much work,and i dont know if arma can support it

Find the keys then find a car, thats like finding a swimming bear in the pacific, then finding a flea on said bear.

If we must have keys there has to be an option to pick or hotwire. In the case of hotwiring it could set off an alarm and flash the lights for a minute while you steal it (GTA IV style), drawing the attention of the owner or anything nearby.

Maybe instead of The Car having The keys in The Trunk maybe add a dead Guy on The Driver Seat with The keys in his poket, or a "Zombie" in close proximity to The Car with The desired keys

Good idea, however I think that you could just lock the doors and set an alarm, that way the thief has to break out the window, get in and hotwire to disable the alarm :)

Keys are fine but they would have to be limited the server to limit traffic ( imagine 1000 servers with 100 vehicle each and imagine how much traffic that would cause for the hive with all the players connecting and disconnecting ) every key needs a specific ID so you can't just hop to another server and use it on a similar vehicle and the same applies to all vehicles...traffic...lag....waiting for character to create...

Edited by Enforcer

I've got this great idea :) let's make vehicles MORE difficult to get (even though there's fuck all).

Its a pretty cool suggestion, however someone already posted a idea similar to this one you could of just added on to his idea instead of making a new thread, and considering your post count im assuming you didn't come up with this idea all by yourself.

Nope me and a fellow survivior were talking about it when our SUV was stolen

Find the keys then find a car, thats like finding a swimming bear in the pacific, then finding a flea on said bear.

If we must have keys there has to be an option to pick or hotwire. In the case of hotwiring it could set off an alarm and flash the lights for a minute while you steal it (GTA IV style), drawing the attention of the owner or anything nearby.

Well I did say you find the keys inside the car when it's a fresh spawn and if you come across it in the forest where you know it belongs to someone then you will have to get it from them. Or hotwire.

Maybe instead of The Car having The keys in The Trunk maybe add a dead Guy on The Driver Seat with The keys in his poket, or a "Zombie" in close proximity to The Car with The desired keys

Yeah that's actually pretty cool. Zombie yeah. Dead guy in the car... not so much, seems like going the extra mile.

sounds good but what if a random player joins my server, gets himself a SUV and becomes the owner then starts playing on some other server and forgets about mine? gonna have unusable cars scattered about

You would leave your car unlocked with the keys in it because you just got shot while driving it or turned into a zombie, or maybe zombies pulled you of the car. I am sure there would be plently of cars with keys in them because the people driving them were abruptly killed.