whatsmynameagain

realistic factors and ideas

Stamina meter: you can't infinitely run forever.

You have to rest for a bit.

Item leakage: if your backpack gets shot, items should fall out. Then you would have to mend it.

Ovens: there's ovens in days but why can't you use them? You should be able too make better food items.

Pick up truck: it is slower than a car but can carry a logotype supplies.

Stomach virus: it causes puking. Puking caused thirst and hunger to go up.

Purify water: collect it from a stream and purify it by boiling.

• Like 2

I'm pretty much convinced that the most part of the items you have mentioned are going to be in the Standalone. The ones that I don't think they're going to be are the item leakage and the ovens, the last one because they need to have a liquid gas-source in order to function and if the providing company does not have people to work on it the service would get shut after a while.

Edited by Guisho
  • Like 1

Gold as a currency, this isnt warz. I dont think you will be running after being hit with a machete. There are pickup trucks, shit, theres even a full sized cargo turck. Lest time I checked, a sniper rifle doesent fall out of a hole made by a DMR (7.62 I think)

Gold as a currency, this isnt warz. I dont think you will be running after being hit with a machete. There are pickup trucks, shit, theres even a full sized cargo turck. Lest time I checked, a sniper rifle doesent fall out of a hole made by a DMR (7.62 I think)

is it me or do you TRY and be a prick?....yes there are all of those but you missed his point of....them being able to hold items in the back...and you are quite clearly making him look stupid by saying the minimal and maximum .....im pretty sure a can of beans would fall through a hole made by and axe.... Edited by NeedzBeanz

I am not being a "prick". This is a suggestions forum section, and I am simply vociing my opinions. Did I say that beans would not fall out of a axe tear. NO. I was mentioning that the weapon used to make the hole would have to be balanced instead of random items. Now please move out of your moms basement. Sorry if I sound like a dick but the above pissed me off. (not the OP, needz)

Edited by GoverningNick

Hopefully machetes arrive in SA.

Perhaps there will be a way to make water safe otherwise there is a chance of getting sick.

Your backpack getting shot could damage equipment i suppose and damage the backpack as well. Though that might be the least of your worries if you are shot in the back.

Gold would have zero value in an apocalypse scenario. Even a tin of beans would be worth more to a survivor than a useless gold bar.

• Like 3

I would be happier if you had to eat less food than you do in the current Dayz. I personally don't eat as much in real life as my character does in Day z, If did I would be a bit of a blimp :) .

On what Whatsmyname said about ovens or cookers. I think it's a good idea to make safer/cleaner food or to purify water. However instead of cookers/ovens, they could add the option to campfires. They could add gathering snow or ice to melt and purify into water.

A few long term ideas

It would also be good to see a gardening system, where you could farm simple vegetables or the ability to heard animal for breeding and slaughter for meat or skining and tanning for clothing. This would be more useful for groups of people who have set up large bases. It would also add an extra element for raiding peoples bases.

Rocket has stated a few times he would like to see base building.

So it would also be nice to see a building system, where you could gather wood to produce timber, rocks and earth to produce bricks and mortar. With these you could produce simple buildings, barricades and walls for fortifcation. Now to balance this and to stop building flooding servers. A time scale could be added on how long it takes to produce timber, and how long it would take to construct walls, building etc etc, plus a player would need a certain type of tool to make certain objects.

This time scale is an example

To chop a tree down, 1-3 min

Turn wood into timber 2-5 mins

Use timber to make a wall 4-8 mins

So everything would scale depending on what material is being used, brick and stone would be more durible, but would take a greater amount of time to produce. A certain amount of gameplay time needs to be used, but for pacing it can't be to realistic, but it also can't be done to quickly.

Zombie/infected gatherings

To go along with bases, it would be nice to see the zombies being attracted to player bases. So the longer a group of players fortified an area or buildings the more zombies would start to gather, destroy fortifications and infect food sources or damage items stored in the base. Obvious we don't want players running back every 5 mins to check if a group of zombies have turned up and are destroying their base. So it would be a gradual build up and when the number reached a certain amount they would start to attack the base. So players belonging to that base would have to go back atleast once every 2 days to kill them or to thin the numbers out.

Edited by -seraphine-
  • Like 1

Anyone else seen those pumpkin patches and apple trees in Chernarus and thought "Why can't i just pick myself a snack?"

Hopefully this type of 'farming' becomes available.

(The stack of unlootable AK's in the military tents near the Balota Airfield annoys me as well.)

Going through these in sequence:

Stamina meter: you can't infinitely run forever. You have to rest for a bit.

I'm all for it. I think that a very short sprint (say 30 seconds) that can get you out of trouble i.e. you can outrun a zombie's sprint but you need to get to cover quickly because it reduces to a jog that lets zombies slowly catch up with you, albeit quite slowly.

Item leakage: if your backpack gets shot, items should fall out. Then you would have to mend it.

Rocket has spoken about damaging items when the player is killed/wounded. As Helicopter Hunter said, bullet holes don't make items fall out. Personally I think that damage to rucksacks would be an annoying mechanic, not a fun, or interesting one and is best avoided.

Ovens: there's ovens in days but why can't you use them? You should be able too make better food items.

Ovens need gas. That said, a rural place like Chernarus probably doesn't have centralised gas and has canisters delivered to individual homes. Not a bad idea if campfires pose the risk of attracting zombies and giving up your location to bandits.

What's a logotype in this context? Moving on.

Rocket has already spoken about motion capturing a puking mechanic. You'll get your wish in SA.

Rocket already spoke about this. Coming in SA I think.

Glow sticks would be crappier than flashlights.

The flashlight you get on spawn seems like a pretty crappy one, it's no police standard maglite.

and gold should be a currency.

Gold would be fucking useless, not to mention too heavy to carry in a post apocalypse. If there is a currency it needs to be something people actually might need and to be light enough to carry with you at all times.

Edited by Bribase

Stamina meter: you can't infinitely run forever.

You have to rest for a bit.

1. Sure. It'd pest me if we had a meter on it though.

2. I'm pretty sure bullet holes aren't too big.

3. I'm not sure about this one.

4. Meh.

5. Meh.

6. Sure.

To the second poster:

There should be no currency in a post-zombie apocolypse.

I currently am un-able to play as I own a mac (bad mistake on my part) but after seeing gameplay, and reading up on the game and whats expected to be coming in the SA,

I like the idea of stamina, i'm pretty sure only certain people could run like the players do in game like Mo Farah.

Also you could incorporate adrenaline into that, maybe a faster sprint??

I think you could go one step further than an upset stomach, like Rocket explained in a power point presentation, they may be looking at a few different health problems that could occur I feel this would add a great aspect to the game as it would make you think a lot more about approaching situations. Like he mentioned big cities like Cherno and Elektro could be disease ridden, so if you spend too much time there, you get sick.

Purifying water and making better food also seems like a good idea, only if it was reletivly hard to achieve, maybe you get longer sprints, more resilient to infection/disease etc.

And last but not least, release this for mac :D I know it's all down to PC sales and if it is a valid option and cost effective. But i'm sure the player base would increase exponentially if it was more widely available.

OK well your suggestions are either being addressed in the standalone or are pretty pointless,

unless it's a 50 cal round then you won't really have that big a hole :P

If half of the suggestions in the Suggestions forum get added, I am going to have to retire just for the installation of the SA, playing the game will be so complex and fun I won't ever turn my computer off (Coz i'll sleep when my character does)

Wear and tear is a good idea, because your going to find iteams in need of repair (Shot NVG's etc) Your going to have a bad time killing players if you shoot what they are carrying.

Some good ideas can be tarnished by ones in other games, but ask yourself, what would you do in the cirumstances? Many cross game ideas would be relevant anyway because your in a survival situation. Just don't add Katana's.

Any currency would be rendered useless due to availability of resources in the game. What would you trade? the only things you could trade are items available everywhere to everyone. Food would be more precious than gold. so why add an Item if it has no wide use?

Stamina meter

Surely that isn't realistic at all.

Surely that isn't realistic at all.

If your getting chased by crazies that want to eat you your adrenaline would kick in and you would run 100 mph

Out of curiousity, does anyone know whether electric stoves or gas stoves are used in eastern europe?

I would be happier if you had to eat less food than you do in the current Dayz. I personally don't eat as much in real life as my character does in Day z, If did I would be a bit of a blimp :) .

On what Whatsmyname said about ovens or cookers. I think it's a good idea to make safer/cleaner food or to purify water. However instead of cookers/ovens, they could add the option to campfires. They could add gathering snow or ice to melt and purify into water.

A few long term ideas

It would also be good to see a gardening system, where you could farm simple vegetables or the ability to heard animal for breeding and slaughter for meat or skining and tanning for clothing. This would be more useful for groups of people who have set up large bases. It would also add an extra element for raiding peoples bases.

Rocket has stated a few times he would like to see base building.

So it would also be nice to see a building system, where you could gather wood to produce timber, rocks and earth to produce bricks and mortar. With these you could produce simple buildings, barricades and walls for fortifcation. Now to balance this and to stop building flooding servers. A time scale could be added on how long it takes to produce timber, and how long it would take to construct walls, building etc etc, plus a player would need a certain type of tool to make certain objects.

This time scale is an example

To chop a tree down, 1-3 min

Turn wood into timber 2-5 mins

Use timber to make a wall 4-8 mins

So everything would scale depending on what material is being used, brick and stone would be more durible, but would take a greater amount of time to produce. A certain amount of gameplay time needs to be used, but for pacing it can't be to realistic, but it also can't be done to quickly.

Zombie/infected gatherings

To go along with bases, it would be nice to see the zombies being attracted to player bases. So the longer a group of players fortified an area or buildings the more zombies would start to gather, destroy fortifications and infect food sources or damage items stored in the base. Obvious we don't want players running back every 5 mins to check if a group of zombies have turned up and are destroying their base. So it would be a gradual build up and when the number reached a certain amount they would start to attack the base. So players belonging to that base would have to go back atleast once every 2 days to kill them or to thin the numbers out.

Interesting concept, it looks like you are actually pulling ideas from Dead Frontier with the whole base thing.

Interesting concept, it looks like you are actually pulling ideas from Dead Frontier with the whole base thing.

Nope, just out of my head.

Glow sticks would be crappier than flashlights and gold should be a currency

Glow sticks would be crappier than flashlights and gold should be a currency

A currency system would ruin my idea of dayz. This is the apocolypse, if you have some shit I want, I'll either approach and ask nicely, shoot you in the butt, or hold you hostage.

+, its not like one finds gold just randomly on the floor or on dead people. How many people just carry bunches of gold on their person?

I prefer the current trading we have now, where theres always that risk of betrayal/ambush.

I am not being a "prick". This is a suggestions forum section, and I am simply vociing my opinions. Did I say that beans would not fall out of a axe tear. NO. I was mentioning that the weapon used to make the hole would have to be balanced instead of random items. Now please move out of your moms basement. Sorry if I sound like a dick but the above pissed me off. (not the OP, needz)

There is a difference from being a jerk and simply voicing your opinion.