rocket

Devblog update: Where is the Standalone?

Yes, there should be a solid in-game voice system that's realistic. Skype and TS totally ruin the experience for me, hence why I don't use them. It totally betrays the emphasis on realism that we see in Day Z, and places the game firmly in the realm of a typical MP game for a sizable portion of players who rely on Skype and TS. Skype and TS are exterior programs, so I can't stop anyone from using them...

But, a realistic "radio" system is certainly worth pursuing. And also, getting rid of sidechat entirely... it shouldn't be a toggleable option, it ruins the experience indefinitely. This is my opinion of course, and I understand the purpose of it... but it's certainly not in the vein of Day Z. I hate how nearly every private hive server has side enabled, it's a nuisance and a channel for people to bitch and moan. Hopefully, with the mod at least, Day Z Commander will implement a "sidechat" feature for those of us that despise it.

EDIT - As to the above, that is a good suggestion... I could care less about sidechat if I didn't have to -see- it all of the time. If I could get rid of the channel on my own, then I'd be fine.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Just now noticed the hatchet hanging on the wall, and the beans on the windowsill... mind = blown

I just hope tech test will start in this month atleast.

Have rocket said anything about how many versions of the game there will be when foundation is released on Steam? I would love to see same system as in Dota 2. There is "test client" and "main client". Test client usually gets update on wednesday and if everything goes smooth it will be in main client on next day or friday. So basically what i want to see is one version obviously for developers, and two for us mortals.

2nd thing is bug reporting, same system as in Dota 2. There is dev forums where you can report bugs and stuff. Only people who have access to game can write there.

Please excuse my poor english.

Edited by drouz

Yes, there should be a solid in-game voice system that's realistic. Skype and TS totally ruin the experience for me, hence why I don't use them. It totally betrays the emphasis on realism that we see in Day Z, and places the game firmly in the realm of a typical MP game for a sizable portion of players who rely on Skype and TS. Skype and TS are exterior programs, so I can't stop anyone from using them...

But, a realistic "radio" system is certainly worth pursuing. And also, getting rid of sidechat entirely... it shouldn't be a toggleable option, it ruins the experience indefinitely. This is my opinion of course, and I understand the purpose of it... but it's certainly not in the vein of Day Z. I hate how nearly every private hive server has side enabled, it's a nuisance and a channel for people to bitch and moan. Hopefully, with the mod at least, Day Z Commander will implement a "sidechat" feature for those of us that despise it.

EDIT - As to the above, that is a good suggestion... I could care less about sidechat if I didn't have to -see- it all of the time. If I could get rid of the channel on my own, then I'd be fine.

I agree entirely. I used TS when rolling with a big group - and man... not only does it piss me off when I'm trying to listen for footsteps, or gun shots... but it really sucks me back out of the game and turns it into Wasteland.

If they restricted any type of outside game communication I'd be happy as hell. Think of how sick it would be, a 4 on 4 squad fight that happened to get within 80meters of one another... hearing the enemy chatter back and forth, not wanting to yell to your buddies information or movements because the enemy can hear you? That would get me hard.

So many times its been to easy to simply ask buds on TS where they are if you loose close range track of them... what if I had to clover leaf around the woods to look for a buddy because we got separated? Or maybe we'd have to set up a SOP to link up... for example flare in the air. Noise discipline would also become a key factor if your voice travels 80M. Radio communication would also bridge the gap - giving players the ability to pick a very fine tuned freq would prevent trolls from sitting all day and finding your channel too quickly (although they should still be able to scan - or even perhaps find a scanner, because honestly who is going to find a military grade comms set and know how to program Day-Time and sync two of them without a SKL? For those of you that know what I'm talking about - sweet. For those that don't sorry...) It would be nice to see terrain features interfere with radio transmissions also. Not to mention learning how to play around with your radio (like ACE/ACRE) would also add a more harsh and in-depth learning experience with DayZ as well.

• Like 2

There isn't some way of detecting overlays and preventing gameplay unless they are closed? If yes, this could work to force gamers to use the (revamped) in-game chat.

Let's not forget about whisper.

Also, the radio tower in green mountain could have some importance to the way radios work in-game. Maybe bandits could be able to disable it (which would cut long-distance comms in the entire server), that would force survivors and groups to fight them to restore comms. It would have a Wasteland feel, but could work!

Edited by Reverie
  • Like 1

There isn't some way of detecting overlays and preventing gameplay unless they are closed? If yes, this could work to force gamers to use the (revamped) in-game chat.

Let's not forget about whisper.

Also, the radio tower in green mountain could have some importance to the way radios work in-game. Maybe bandits could be able to disable it (which would cut long-distance comms in the entire server), that would force survivors and groups to fight them to restore comms. It would have a Wasteland feel, but could work!

I would just carry on with my day and maintain short comms with buddies... :|

Rest assured I'll be taking a look at all of the old bugs and tricks for dealing with Zeds, I 've even written a list so I don't miss anything :)

perfect

I would just carry on with my day and maintain short comms with buddies... :|

It would bother mostly the large groups that are forced to use radios (not being able to use TS) and vehicles.... that's why only a large group of bandits would risk disabling comms, to provoke a war.

Edited by Reverie

It would bother mostly the large groups that are forced to use radios (not being able to use TS) and vehicles.... that's why only a large group of bandits would risk disabling comms, to provoke a war.

stop trying to trick us into going to Green Mountain

we all know what's there

*shivers*

• Like 2

Monitoring bandit comms would be cool, as well as trying to figure out different frequencies... etc.

But moreover, I think communication should be relegated (like everything else) to in-game systems. Meaning, not TS, not sidechat, but tangible items that give the player these abilities.

I think that radios would only be a novelty. Anyone who wants to communicate for competitive reasons will just use other programs.

stop trying to trick us into going to Green Mountain

we all know what's there

*shivers*

Prepare your Diddly Hole

Some people want immersion some want to play BF3 I mean competitively... I like the Idea of radios as the game grows people will find Servers that cater to there playstyle. I for one play for immersion and have a good time kicking around looting hunting animals and picking off the occasional bandit. And would use radios to broadcast to legit survivors who want to play along for a while or attract hostiles unintentionally which is why I play the game I like not knowing if you get a round in the skull or make a new buddy to cruise around with. Radios will act like a meeting point which I fully endorse and im sure Bandits will love tricking unsuspecting prey using their good guy voice over comms.

Radios will be fun I believe there should be no chat in text format. Voices Only you can grab a low end headset for 10$ and if you want to use 3rd party TeamSpeak Skype then use it.

• Like 3

I agree entirely. I used TS when rolling with a big group - and man... not only does it piss me off when I'm trying to listen for footsteps, or gun shots... but it really sucks me back out of the game and turns it into Wasteland.

If they restricted any type of outside game communication I'd be happy as hell. Think of how sick it would be, a 4 on 4 squad fight that happened to get within 80meters of one another... hearing the enemy chatter back and forth, not wanting to yell to your buddies information or movements because the enemy can hear you? That would get me hard.

So many times its been to easy to simply ask buds on TS where they are if you loose close range track of them... what if I had to clover leaf around the woods to look for a buddy because we got separated? Or maybe we'd have to set up a SOP to link up... for example flare in the air. Noise discipline would also become a key factor if your voice travels 80M. Radio communication would also bridge the gap - giving players the ability to pick a very fine tuned freq would prevent trolls from sitting all day and finding your channel too quickly (although they should still be able to scan - or even perhaps find a scanner, because honestly who is going to find a military grade comms set and know how to program Day-Time and sync two of them without a SKL? For those of you that know what I'm talking about - sweet. For those that don't sorry...) It would be nice to see terrain features interfere with radio transmissions also. Not to mention learning how to play around with your radio (like ACE/ACRE) would also add a more harsh and in-depth learning experience with DayZ as well.

even if we would get only one or a few radio chanels you could create a code system for your squad...and if you get seperated without a radio or die you could head for arranged rendevous and evac points of your team...people should be more creative since we have enough of this casual EA and Ubisoft shit....

• Like 3

You obviously have never seen my new spawn ninja tactics. Spawn, find hatchet, run to Electro sniper hill. Bury hatchet in sniper, grab gear and run.

Yep, sounds like a plan. And a queue of sniper hungry hachetman runnig up the hill......

My military grade nightvision actually use normal AA-batteries, and they also last very long with one single battery. Anyways, I like your post, because I mostly play Dayz on night and this is one of my biggest concerns. Give one man a NV, and he is able to kill every other playing without easly. With locked screen-settings, every player will end up wandering around in pitch-dark many places and completely unable to see the NV-guy. Forcing people to use chemlights, flares and flashlight at night is how I really want this game to end up.

My thought is that they should make Nightvision very rare, and make some kind of special military battery for it. Normal batteries should not be rare, since the flashlight, rangefinders etc also will need it.

tl;dr: Nightvisions should be very rare, and have its own sort of rare military batteries.

I'd prefer that there would be head flashlights to free you hands 19-LED-Flashlight-HeadLamp-7.jpg

Did you guys ever hear about A.C.R.E? They could just implement A.C.R.E on the stand-alone (For those who don't know, A.C.R.E is a Radio simulator mod for Arma 2 that turns your Teamspeak into a direct channel/radio system. You guys should definitely google it up). I also think that they could get some ideas from other mods, like the medical system on ACE, where if you get shot, u may pass out, then someone has to examine you and check you symptoms, and treat you according to your symptoms.

i.e.: I got shot, and my teammate is trying to help me. He examines my symptoms and on the top right corner of the screen, a message pops up telling him symptoms like "Severe blood loss, unconscious, heavy pain, no heart rate", he then proceeds to make a CPR, apply a tourniquet and epipens.

There's also a system where the person can drag or carry you around, if the person choose to drag you, the person will still be able to shoot, but move slower, if choose to carry you, the person will move slightly faster, but won't be able to shoot. BTW, while you are unconscious, your screens goes black (Sometimes your character open up his eyes, and you can see things for 2 seconds before blacking out again) and you can't communicate.

I think this system would be incredibly immersive, even more when you consider the diseases. People would need to actually learn how to treat cholera and other diseases inside the game.

• Like 5

because the 3rd party programs do too much and break the immersion

I mean if we could trust people to use them sparingly, then it wouldn't be as much of an issue. but I think we know that's not gonna happen

Would be nice, but no need to think, that WILL not happen unfortunately.

getting seperated without using skype or teamspeak....could be epic

Edited by Private Evans
  • Like 4

getting seperated without using skype or teamspeak....could be epic

Nice video!! What makes it more epic is exactly the importance of death on it (just like real life). Not like you can just respawn and everything will be fine... the more you have consequences resulting of your death, the more you'll be immersed. The whole "being separated" contributes to the epicness...

what about all the hackers/ hacking how will this be takled .. as it is they seem to be able to do what they want when they want .. it would be a shame cos it looks fantastic .. great job