Sign in to follow this  
klesh

Should Heli Crash Sites be marked on the Map?

Should Heli Crash Sites be marked on the in-game map?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Should Heli Crash Sites be marked on the in-game map?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

A simple community poll to gauge whether players want to have Helicopter Crash Sites marked on their in-game maps.

No, snipers will watch a horde of noobs with axes hitting each other and running for it and snipe them all down, and in real life your sat nav doesn't randomly come up with, a car crashed over this way about a minute ago.

• Like 3

i say absolutely no. It would be better if the spawns were even less predictable as well.

• Like 3

Yes/No. Yes - Everyone would flock to it. You'd have those gun battles you long to have with others. If you liked action, you could go. If you don't like the action, stay away from the surrounding area. No - Like people said, snipers would just camp the area and it would be pointless.

Hell no, they should even be more random than right now so you never know where one will pop up.

• Like 1

Maybe crash sites should show on Recruit setting servers and not show on Regular and above.

A good idea would be to bring back the radio tool and when a new heli crash site spawns, a SOS message plays over the radio with the coords or location its close too.

why help bandits? its easy enough for them to find places to assault players, no need to give them a sure-to-kill-spot

No way, we'd have all the new players/spawns rushing there fast as they could, and even more folks camping it out just to harvest kills. Helicopter crash sites need to be random, because of the prizes to be had, and the sheer joy you feel when you get one.

• Like 2

I think the answer is somewhat in the middle: A couple of locations are known, and the majority are totally random. Those looking for a gunfight/ sniper standoff can head straight for the known crash sites. And those looking for a hunt can still hunt.

• Like 1

I didn't vote (I assume this poll is for players on the Balota Buddies server). Just to say though...

The server I play on uses it just now. It works really well so far, especially since there are only ever between 5-25 players on. It's not realistic by any means, but it does give potentially more 'hot spots' for PvP (if you don't have 15+ players on Chenarus, player encounters can be too rare for most people's taste). To a certain extent it actually prevents people with vehicles/choppers from madly rushing around raping crash-sites, as they need to be far more cautious and ensure the area is cleared of other players before approaching (especially now that you also spawn zombies in a vehicle from 300m).

Bear in mind how the crash-site spawns work in the latest versions. Instead of all spawning in at once on server reboot, one spawns in randomly every thirty minutes to an hour. You hear a loud crash/boom for a few kilometres around the new site. A few minutes later it is automatically marked on the map (if you have one in your inventory).

However, players who are not on the server when the crash-site spawns cannot see the marker when they subsequently log-in. Further, only the latest crash-site is ever marked on the map. It's not like you can see all of them all of the time. So if you join the server five hours after a reboot, there are potentially six or seven crash sites for which you don't know the location (I don't know if the number of sites is capped - it doesn't seem to be). The server I play on restarts every 8 hours and I still come across older crash-sites that no-one visited and that I didn't know about. I've also yet to be sniped at a crash site.

In my opinion, you should run it for a few days (with a server message explaining it's just temporary) and then have your poll, to avoid any knee-jerk reactions.

• Like 1

It's hard enough being a lone wolf to get anything close to a decent weapon, so the chopper crashes can be a lifeline! It's hard enough to do a run through nwaf by yourself, but to be forced to do it with a makerov? Don't alienate the lone survivors out there!

I have 2 sides on this:

1. It would be kinda awesome if it's marked, cause we would have a lot of action there :D

2. It's kinda stupid to have it marked, cause it removes the whole "crash site hunting" experience. If it's marked, everyone can rush there

Please remove the location on the map thingy from the 1.75 patch, as we all (92%) dont want it. PLEASE dont let it air... All the fun is chasing it down!

Who decided to add this to the next patch? Seems like an odd thing to add.

I hate the idea.

Imagine playing minecraft and finding a chest full of diamonds a kilometer away from the spawn, with a tunnel leading to it.

Now the only thing you shall do to get the best loot is run and maybe shoot some guys.

Also the guys with cars will still have advantage then. The changes made to fix this are nullified by this.

It's gonna be a massacre after a server restart. You could earn a helicopter, some vehicles and get completely geared out by just having a sniper rifle, because I'm pretty sure all the UBER CLANZ would be racing on who hoards most of the heli loot. There would be nothing left for new players.

Edited by Sutinen
  • Like 1

I didn't vote (I assume this poll is for players on the Balota Buddies server).

This poll is regarding public hive servers.

• Like 1

What a terrible idea, who in the name of fuck thought this would be a good idea?

This isn't Wasteland, this is DayZ and this ridiculous patch needs removing from the build immediately.

• Like 2

This poll is regarding public hive servers.

Surely this poll is for anything that will be running DayZ code 1.7.5?

100% no. The mere concept is a massive f*cking two fingers up to what DayZ has been about so far: surviving in the unknown. It's a factor that has kept this game alive, and to do this is not only gonna encourage douchebags to relentlessly snipe what would the new age equivilent to the NW Airfield, but I can imagine it leading to people getting familiar with this type of ease, and demanding more and more god damn ridiculous features.

edit: *'d out the f*cking's because I'm just so cunting respectful.

Edited by mzltv
  • Like 1