aundre_

What's the best way to keep a sever populated?

Since I have bought a server I have been wonder on how to keep a server populated. I named it a good name, I guess...nice amount of vehicles and a epic load-out, but I don't know how to keep it active. That's is my only problem, any ideas on how to, please let me know

Server

|

|

\/

b_160_400_1_ffffff_c5c5c5_ffffff_000000_0_1_0.png

It's hard, REALLY hard. You basically need to build up a community, and it can take a while. Having your own forum is a start, it lets you communicate with the players and discuss issues/suggestions and so on. There's no quick and easy way, just get yourself a good reputation by looking after the players, dealing with hackers/combat loggers quickly and don't abuse your position. The rest is word of mouth and luck.

Also, what do you mean "Epic load-out", and how many vehicle spawns do you have?

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

It's hard, REALLY hard. You basically need to build up a community, and it can take a while. Having your own forum is a start, it lets you communicate with the players and discuss issues/suggestions and so on. There's no quick and easy way, just get yourself a good reputation by looking after the players, dealing with hackers/combat loggers quickly and don't abuse your position. The rest is word of mouth and luck.

Also, what do you mean "Epic load-out", and how many vehicle spawns do you have?

Load-out picture - MRu2FZ0M7B.png Amount of vehilces I have have is at least 150-200+.

So what your saying is that for a more "PVP" type map, it should be for like Namalsk, Taviana type of deal?

Looking at your load-out pic I honestly think that's the first thing you need to address. People play DayZ for the survival element and the scavenging/looting. There's hundreds of other mods for Arma and there's Arma itself, so if people want to play with all of the weapons they can. The severs that do well make the game harder if anything. If you start with a full loadout, what's left to do?

• Like 1

I think you've gone wrong by using Chernarus under a server name which mainly advertises 'PVP'.

I frequent the BSM server, and they had normally around 8/50 players on their server - it was an awesome server! Granted, it wasn't PVP onlly but it had custom scripts which built upon the DayZ experience (HALO jumps, removing vehicle parts, etc).

However, when they changed from Chernarus to Taviana - the numbers shot up like mad. I now have to have room made for me if I try to get onto the servers, as it's now 40/40 at peak gaming times.

Administrating your server once you have a community starting to build up will also be a priority, if you to keep them - getting rid of hackers and other offenders will show that it is regulated. Avoid whitelisting your server until you've got a considerable number of people, as it may deter people to joining (I for one never joint a Whitelisted server, as the application seems more effort than it's worth)

• Like 1

Looking at your load-out pic I honestly think that's the first thing you need to address. People play DayZ for the survival element and the scavenging/looting. There's hundreds of other mods for Arma and there's Arma itself, so if people want to play with all of the weapons they can. The severs that do well make the game harder if anything. If you start with a full loadout, what's left to do?

Very true, I might just leave them with a pistol, and some beans.

I think you've gone wrong by using Chernarus under a server name which mainly advertises 'PVP'.

I frequent the BSM server, and they had normally around 8/50 players on their server - it was an awesome server! Granted, it wasn't PVP onlly but it had custom scripts which built upon the DayZ experience (HALO jumps, removing vehicle parts, etc).

However, when they changed from Chernarus to Taviana - the numbers shot up like mad. I now have to have room made for me if I try to get onto the servers, as it's now 40/40 at peak gaming times.

Administrating your server once you have a community starting to build up will also be a priority, if you to keep them - getting rid of hackers and other offenders will show that it is regulated. Avoid whitelisting your server until you've got a considerable number of people, as it may deter people to joining (I for one never joint a Whitelisted server, as the application seems more effort than it's worth)

One problem I have is that I only use DaRT, but I don't know any other anti-hack programs to keep an eye on hackers etc.

Hello there

Many people don't want a server at the extremes of the experience (ie uber free everything or utterly hardcore) , rather a server that's well maintained/admin'd and perhaps with a subtle twist to the gameplay to make it stand out.

Rgds

LoK

One problem I have is that I only use DaRT, but I don't know any other anti-hack programs to keep an eye on hackers etc.

I don't actually run or help administrate servers, myself, so I wouldn't be in the knowledge about admin tools and anti-hack programs either. I was just suggesting this all from the perspective of someone who had seen numbers on a server go through the roof.

There's a whole world of topics from admins and server-side enthusiasts in this section though man, have a little rummage through it and I'm sure you'll find something to do with anti-hack software.

I don't actually run or help administrate servers, myself, so I wouldn't be in the knowledge about admin tools and anti-hack programs either. I was just suggesting this all from the perspective of someone who had seen numbers on a server go through the roof.

There's a whole world of topics from admins and server-side enthusiasts in this section though man, have a little rummage through it and I'm sure you'll find something to do with anti-hack software.

Completely understandable, plus I'm new to this. Edited by Aundre_

Just remember that because you can change something doesn't mean you should.

• Like 1

Just remember that because you can change something doesn't mean you should.

Okay.

It is as easy, as 1, 2, 3. :)

1) Lots of vehicles, helicopters and planes on the server.

2) Custom locations on the map - right now official Cherno map feels a bit dry after 1000th run.

3) Prompt banning of hackers and jerks, which prefer not to play, but to ruin game of others.

Right now our squad plays on the server with private hive, which fully satisfies this criteria, and we are really happy. :)

Why not just make a normal public hive and monitor it daily?? Servers like that get a lot of players. Most servers went private and now have stupid stuff like 200 vehicles, stupid spawn gear, rules and changes none wants

The harsh reality is that there are to many servers and not enough players at this point. Its much easier to find a well established community that already has populated servers with good admins. I recently found a great community (balotabuddies.net) and cancelled my server subscription. So it may be best to set aside funds for now and then rent again when the standalone is launched and player numbers increase.

I believe it is also the name.

Anonymous, impersonal.

I can now no longer remind of the name.

Titi Twister, Cyber​​Zombies, Free Vodka, Coke & Bitches are names to which one reminds himself. Clanserver also, xxx-Clan. City names also... NY, SF, LA-Zombies.

I prefer the normal dayz, I'm perhaps a bit out of time, I don´t know.

Edited by NoCheats

I've moved our server up in the ranks steadily although I'm not sure how much of it is luck or not.

Firstly we run a pure vanilla public cherno server, at this point that's becoming a rarity.

Second we don't change anything ever and never EVER do restarts unless they're absolutely needed.

Third we play TONS and make sure no strange things are a foot...

We have kept hackers at bay to a certain degree by just being on so often that we usually witness the attacks, and if not someone has an rcon window open and can see mass log offs which is usually a sign.

We check in often with custom messages letting users know that Admins are on and watching, we review the logs twice daily and add to the ban list AGGRESSIVELY, at this point in the release if you don't know what guns are illegal tough shit, drop it and send and email.

We also put our email and FB page up on the scoll message which shows that we are contactable if people want to although we've had VERY few reach outs.

Address ban appeals seriously, but don't unban people who don't deserve it, make sure ANYONE getting unbanned is well aware that you will be eyes on them for weeks to come.

I tweet and FB about the server a lot but have no idea if that does anything or not...

I've added gametracker statistic tracking to both our servers and banners for one or both of them on every forum I go to....

The more exposure the better... but really it's word of mouth and steady population...

Our server generally has 5-10 players on it, but once it gets to busy times that number can jump up to 15-20 or like a couple times over this last holiday week or two it was actually completely full... which of course then led to a massive hack attack...

The other MAJOR problem I can see to servers is dumb players, people (including some in my own clan) think that if they get hacked on a server:

"that's it I'm screwed forget that server forever"

or

"That's a hacker server for sure"

or

"Admins aren't doing shit to stop this"

Truth is unless you hack as an admin hackers are WAY more powerful than you ever will be. BE and DayZ have left admins in a very weird place, players are trusted more than admins so admin abuse is less likely than hacker attacks... kinda dumb IMO but whatever.

This Game RULES!

1. Public team speak helps. Also will reduce the traffic on side chat.

2. A forum for your community helps.

3. 90% of the initial group is in the name. I see more traffic to servers with custom spawns and a lot of cars/helis. I do not recommend giving them everything they need to start the game. The less they have the more time will be spent gathering whats needed. A handgun 3 clips and a few bandages will get them started.

4. Admins must be around/playing/watching.

5. Help people out.

6. Allow clans/groups to setup camps. (tents)

7. Don't let anyone hoard vehicles.

8. Spawn more vehicles on the coast.

9. Everyone wants a heli :thumbsup:

Just my opinion... gl

1. Public team speak helps. Also will reduce the traffic on side chat.

2. A forum for your community helps.

3. 90% of the initial group is in the name. I see more traffic to servers with custom spawns and a lot of cars/helis. I do not recommend giving them everything they need to start the game. The less they have the more time will be spent gathering whats needed. A handgun 3 clips and a few bandages will get them started.

4. Admins must be around/playing/watching.

5. Help people out.

6. Allow clans/groups to setup camps. (tents)

7. Don't let anyone hoard vehicles.

8. Spawn more vehicles on the coast.

9. Everyone wants a heli :thumbsup:

Just my opinion... gl

Some good points here.

I'm paying for a public TS server and nobody wants to use it. With side chat enabled, players just end up using that or Skype. Teamspeak client is free, the sound quality is excellent, you can have your own squad channel, and most importantly you can have a PTT button instead of having an open mic with Skype.

I think one of the most important things is to be active or have your group be active on the server. Nobody wants to play on a dead server, unless your just in it for the gear. It's amazing how some stray players will wander in and "hook up" with another couple of survivors. Once that happens, they usually keep coming back if the experience is good.

I might add to what others have said, don't go bananas with the loadout or vehicles. I can't speak for everyone, but it gets old in a couple of days having access to everything. Try modifying the vehicle loadouts a bit or moving vehicles around.

All the previous ideas are awesome, I am adopting some myself. Anyway I thought of some more...

Mine (private hive) is generally filled-up with players up to 80%-90% of the slots. My general rules are:

Uptime:

100% uptime (yours is offline, right now. Why?) - some people log in during night time to loot, relocate, avoid combat - server must be on at all times.

Immersion:

People must feel like they are in real life, surviving. Too many automated messages, too many restarts, side chat flood, too many vehicles or too few might take that realism away.

Permanent database:

Some admins keep resetting the database at every hack attack, players give up gathering all stuff again. I clean it manually, or do a rolback of just a couple hours.

Loadout: just the regular (painkiller, bandage, flashlight, the other thing i can't remember). 50% of the gameplay is gathering stuff.

Active admin:

Instead of playing, I (unfortunatelly) spend my online time glazing thru the BEC/ hive windows and logs checking for illegal actions and then banning the bad (handicaped) players ON SIGHT. I have other 6 players that give me feedback on ping, lag, hacks, etc.

Ping:

most players opt/list the servers (ascending) with ping values. Mine is always from 1-4th in my country's list (actually in my continent's list).

Non-whitelist:

Although I like the whitelist idea, players don't seem to like that.

Newbies:

Have some good-will players (I've seen admins doing that) near spawn areas helping the newcomers; also, a couple clans that play frequently here do not kill unarmed or hatchet wielding players.

TS:

have a teamspeak server (not on the same machine);

Name:

Try to follow the dayzmod name guidelines for your server, this shows you are a serious admin. Also add some sort of name difference so ppl find you in the middle of all the other correctly named servers.

Hmmm can't remember anything else.. hmmm...

Edited by rboos
  • Like 1

We used the basic DayZ naming ruling for the most part so our server was easy to find and remember. Plenty of vehicles on the coast, a public teamspeak has also been suggested.

What has really worked well for us lately is holding scheduled events, bandit convoy(3 suvs loaded with gear via database) drives along the cost for people to assault. Another thing we do is, clans or groups can create a base with buildings that don't spawn loot and I import it into our server so they don't have to just rely on tents and trees to protect their gear. Database back-ups are a MUST with popularity comes script kiddies. I stick to half hour back ups, so in the event of a heavy scripter attack we can just restore the server to its previous state.

Make it known who the admins are and make sure one is at the least accessible at reasonable times. The only other thing is advertise on reddit.com/r/dayzservers and other places and if you admin your server fairly and people like your spot they will come over time.

Edited by Pegz

I agree with rboos.

I would say, from most to least important:

1/ Uptime, fast logon & regular restarts. Players want consistency. If they know that a server is always functional, they will join this one first.

2/ Low ping, well populated, good rank. It is quite stupid, but players sort servers by ping and take a server that is already well populated

3/ Daylight. Setting time to summer and night to full moon help to get players stay longer on the server.

4/ Difficulty to Regular (with crosshair and 3rd person view), high ping welcomed

5/ Strong anticheat & Admins (watching with Gcam)

6/ Vehicles. Players want to know they can find the 43 vehicles on the map

7/ Community, Teamspeak: these may help.

I use public hive, so I can't perform any rollback, but I tweaked the server to stick with all the points above.