griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

Nah, what he said was, "we have a weak window", which will inevitably delay development, at least until the frame is replaced.

• Like 2

So whats up with the game!? Last week Dean Hall said we have a week window. So now that its been that week... WHERE IS IT?

As for me I'm SOO HYPED for this game. Now I just wanna buy it and get that out of the way so I can play it. Anyone know when the game(Alpha) is possibly coming out?????

No they have a week window as in they know WHAT WEEK they are releasing it....they just aren't telling us

I'm actually a bit worried about all this hype around SA. I really want to play it like everybody else, but from a lot of posts and threads on this forums, I really hope Rocket will take the time and ensure everything works in a somewhat good way before releasing the SA alpha to the public. I know from other online games which released in beta stages (and some for "money", too) what a hell of a shitstorm it can create when you charge money for a product and release it in alpha or beta status to the public. There will be a lot of threads "ohmygodz0rs! fix dad damn game! I payd 4 it u idi0ts!" when the game is buggy and/or unstable at release. And suddenly that hype around the game turns into a massive shitstorm, demotivating all developers involved.

And don't tell me "This won't happen here!". I think everybody who has played DayZ at least a year ago remembers all these "I paid for it! Fix that damn game!"-threads not only over this forum, but over a lot of gaming forums, too. And hell, they didn't even pay for DayZ back then and it was and is still in alpha. I don't know how many times me and others told these guys that they did pay for ArmA II and not for DayZ and that DayZ is a mod still in alpha status... But what do I know? I can only say, Rocket and the whole team, take your time, release a stable and somewhat bugfree alpha. But doesn't matter what you do, I'm going to buy it as soon as it's released. I will help you guys with every bit of feedback I can.

I'm actually a bit worried about all this hype around SA. I really want to play it like everybody else, but from a lot of posts and threads on this forums, I really hope Rocket will take the time and ensure everything works in a somewhat good way before releasing the SA alpha to the public. I know from other online games which released in beta stages (and some for "money", too) what a hell of a shitstorm it can create when you charge money for a product and release it in alpha or beta status to the public. There will be a lot of threads "ohmygodz0rs! fix dad damn game! I payd 4 it u idi0ts!" when the game is buggy and/or unstable at release. And suddenly that hype around the game turns into a massive shitstorm, demotivating all developers involved.

And don't tell me "This won't happen here!". I think everybody who has played DayZ at least a year ago remembers all these "I paid for it! Fix that damn game!"-threads not only over this forum, but over a lot of gaming forums, too. And hell, they didn't even pay for DayZ back then and it was and is still in alpha. I don't know how many times me and others told these guys that they did pay for ArmA II and not for DayZ and that DayZ is a mod still in alpha status... But what do I know? I can only say, Rocket and the whole team, take your time, release a stable and somewhat bugfree alpha. But doesn't matter what you do, I'm going to buy it as soon as it's released. I will help you guys with every bit of feedback I can.

You're absolutely right, but there's another, more accurate perspective from which to look at such a situation: it's not the fault of devs that people are as entitled, out of control and psychologically imbalanced as they are, also lacking in common sense and not even wanting to understand the simple fact that it's alpha/beta, so it's going to have issues.

That's not directed at you, that's directed at the people of whom you're speaking.

Dean and co. are working hard to ensure that things run as smoothly as possible, but the bottom line is that it's the attitudes of people that are the problem, not the fact that an alpha/beta has bugs. People need to remember that just because they've bought/bought into a game, that it doesn't change the fact that alpha/beta is alpha/beta, and they're supposed to go into it expecting issues.

But, the majority of voices are the ones who end up coming-down hard on such people, so shitstorm or not, the whiners will always be outnumbered by those with more than two working brain cells to remind them: "It's in alpha/beta, expects bugs and shut the hell up", so don't worry about it... it's not going to dishearten the devs, as they've more than two working brain cells.

Now, when a fully finished game is released that are fraught with bugs, that's a different story.

I don't want to see all the complaining either, but just ignore the fools who are so entitled that they blatantly ignore the fact that they're buying into/playing a work in progress, and the rest of us will just enjoy it for what it has to offer.

IMO the attitude everyone should take is: "The game will be released as a finished product at the end of the year, but I can support them by pre-ordering it AND get access to the game while its being created so that I can see some of the evolution of it and get a leg up on everyone who hasn't pre-ordered it."

I know people will bitch no matter how polished the SA alpha is, I'm just at a loss for being able to understand why. If I got an alpha version of Battlefield 4 for pre-ordering it, I would be stoked just to get a glimpse at what the finished product will be like, regardless of any errors or bugs or ugliness that exists.

What I mean by this is will we be able to set down our map, have everyone PHYSICALLY walk up to it, and see exactly what is on it, also allowing others edit it? I think this would be a cool thing to do. To get into a secured building with your group, all sit down, and look at a map and plan on where you want everyone to go. I think it could really promote cooperation.

Of course, there are 3rd party programs out their, and the only one that I've seen worthwhile is one called Gameplan that is in greenlight for Steam and hasn't been published yet. But all the other ones don't seem too hot. I think it would be a cool feature.

Any idea what's going on with that?

• Like 1

It would be a cool feature, but it seems kind of unnecessary.

I would say the same thing for radios. The cool part about it would be if someone actually could FIND your map, for me...

They could see if you marked where your base/storage area is. Think it would really add to the immersion of it.

Edited by S&M Inc.
  • Like 1

I would say the same thing for radios. The cool part about it would be if someone actually FiND your map, for me...

They could see if you marked where your base/storage area is. Think it would really add to the immersion of it.

Oh ok. I think I see what you're getting at now. It would be a cool feature to have your markers clientside, rather than the whole server seeing it. That would be very interesting, and I would love to have that in the game.

As an apology, take my beans.

• Like 1

Oh ok. I think I see what you're getting at now. It would be a cool feature to have your markers clientside, rather than the whole server seeing it. That would be very interesting, and I would love to have that in the game.

As an apology, take my beans.

Yeah, I'm talking more about an actual map. Like every map is it's own map. Which might take up more storage, but not much, right?

• Like 1

Hello guys!

Since its not possibru to shoot of of cars in arma 2 i was wondering if theyll implement it in the SA....

What do you think?

been suggested before...

are you insane? this is not the suggestion forum. this is a discussion. so please go back to your cave

What do you mean shoot out of vehicles?

It doesn't seem very realistic if you shoot somebody with a makarov and their car door magically opens and they fall out.

i think that he means shooting out of cars while you drive, if that is what op means, then YES

Don't think its gonna happen, I remember Rocket mention it in the past, some kind of limitation with the engine.

are you insane? this is not the suggestion forum. this is a discussion. so please go back to your cave

Before you start attacking someone, you should learn the facts first. The comment above the comment of the person you replied to was originally in the suggestions section. Boneboys moved it into here, hence his post.

So i have been watching the different blogs/review websites and then the E3 video and Rezzed Video and have decided that instead of "wait and see" I'd like to post my opinion on it.

Most of the feautres look awesome, but some are leaving me with hesitant thoughts about buying standalone.

Some key features that look GOOD and come to mind right away:

1.The inventory. Makes sense, looks clean (ish) and has room for improvement but isn't garbage.

2. Weapon attachments, improvised weapons and the overall crafting system (from what we have seen). Woot!

3. The zombie spawn 'zone' or w/e you wanna call it. Clearing an area only to have a group of zombies spawn in the yard outside the house your scavenging in gets annoying, quickly.

4. Radios. 2 words : SIDE CHANNEL!

5. better loot spawns/locations/varieties. (also a tidbit about this int he negatives)

Some features that look BAD and will probably ruin the game for more than a few people:

1. Loot dictatorship. Watch the Rezzed video and listen to the questions portion. Having loot all be dictated, not by chance/rarity, but by population, chance, rarity, popularity etc etc, is a bad way to stop all-powerful weapons from getting into people's hands.

2. Blood types: YES, it's realistic. But honestly, spending 2/3's of my time playing looking for a specific blood type does not sound fun, especially with the often volatile and violent player base i have seen and experienced on Dayz.

3. Specific anti-biotics. Meh. Just meh. Personally i would rather see a standard Anti-biotic and a heavy duty for like gangrene or something (that was an example, not 100% how one gets gangrene). Then things like coughsyrup/allergy meds to keep from coughing (damned good way to que players/zeds to your location one would assume), vitamins to help your character regen blood (??? maybe ???)

Features/things i want but haven't seen/heard much about.1. A concrete base building system, based off crafting, scavenging and perhaps towing (how many pallets of bricks/lumber/pipes have we all passed by now in Dayz?).

1. Zombies/players with specific equipment are more resistant to something. A military zombie with a helmet shouldn't be one-shot headshot with a makorav and a player shouldn't be knocked unconcious by a zombie he is facing (knocked down yes, unconcious no) if he is wearing a helmet. Players wearing a hunting vest should have more invo slots than a t-shirt.

2. Blood types: YES, it's realistic. But honestly, spending 2/3's of my time playing looking for a specific blood type does not sound fun, especially with the often volatile and violent player base i have seen and experienced on Dayz.

3. Specific anti-biotics. Meh. Just meh. Personally i would rather see a standard Anti-biotic and a heavy duty for like gangrene or something (that was an example, not 100% how one gets gangrene). Then things like coughsyrup/allergy meds to keep from coughing (damned good way to que players/zeds to your location one would assume), vitamins to help your character regen blood (??? maybe ???)

For blood types, just grab a bag of O- and you're good to go. O- is a blood type that can be used on literally anyone.

As for antibiotics... well that's your opinion, but I like it.

Edited by colekern

Helmets are going to work close to the way you said.

It seems like the only way we will be able to get blood bags is actually drawing it from live people, and I think yourself from some of the things rocket has said but the new health system isn't only based on blood and he said something about slowly regaining blood if you are in good health in other ways

And I would rather look for a common cough syrup of I'm coughing than what will probably super rare antis