griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

They are making major improvments to Zombies. I've heard that if you are heard (e.g. Shooting) you have mass amounts of hordes on you within minutes. Zombies right now suck because they are limited by the engine behind the game. This is what SA is all about. They can do whatever they want with it now. I've also heard zombies will be spread out across the entire map rather than in towns and that they will doubling the amount of zombies in towns as well.

That's why am waiting for the standalone and didn't buy arma 2

This thread is dead :|

Then let it die, don't bump/post for no reason, silly.

It would not be dead if members used the Forums correctly.

How many new Topics are made when they could be posted here ?

Loads....

It would not be dead if members used the Forums correctly.

It also wouldn't be dead if we were just waiting for a simple test to be done. At this rate it's going to be a March release optimistically, pretty lame.

So let me get this straight, as well.

DayZ Standalone has to come out soon, or else it will fail because people will learn how to play the mod?

I.. I have no words to describe how idiotic I find your logic. I don't think the English dictionary even has a word powerful enough to describe it.

So you think it would be an absurd idea that spending MORE time with the Standalone would allow the developers to add MORE content?

Most people aren't even playing the original Chernarus map anymore, I assume.

Even if people were still playing on the Chernarus map, there are going to be so many tweaks and changes all over the board that it will have people interested for a long time, assuming they enjoyed the mod as well.

- Almost every building is made enterable.

- More buildings and towns added altogether. (It's not exactly the same map, you know.)

- Loot no longer spawns in a neat pile in one spot on the floor.

- Zombies will act like actual zombies. No more zig-zagging or the decency to walk in-doors.

- Infection/disease/pollution system.

- Possible (simple?)crafting system.

- Base-building(and farming?) system.

- Realistic weather simulation and much-harder-to-fly helicopters.

- Much more freedom as to what Rocket can actually change later on, because it's his game when it comes out.

(Those are only the most major changes I can think of that were mentioned. There's a lot more, I assure you.)

(Edit; Disclaimer: I'm not bashing the OP, only his reasoning. The guy is fine, but the post itself is not.)

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 1

So let me get this straight, as well.

DayZ Standalone has to come out soon, or else it will fail because people will learn how to play the mod?

I.. I have no words to describe how idiotic I find your logic. I don't think the English dictionary even has a word powerful enough to describe it.

(Edit; Disclaimer: I'm not bashing the OP, only his reasoning. The guy is fine, but the post itself is not.)

Ok propably my english is not that good or maybe you dont have brains to actualy read what i wrote .. NVM. I never ever wrote "it will fail because people will learn how to play the mod " what i said - people will learn to play ARMA it self. I understand you - dude who came form COD comunity bought game+expansion just to play MOD will never understand that :)

Ok propably my english is not that good or maybe you dont have brains to actualy read what i wrote .. NVM. I never ever wrote "it will fail because people will learn how to play the mod " what i said - people will learn to play ARMA it self. I understand you - dude who came form COD comunity bought game+expansion just to play MOD will never understand that :)

I would've joined in the conversation untill you pigeonholed everyone who has played dayz, for the record I play neither bf3 or CoD

Ok propably my english is not that good or maybe you dont have brains to actualy read what i wrote .. NVM. I never ever wrote "it will fail because people will learn how to play the mod " what i said - people will learn to play ARMA it self. Even so, this is a problem.. how? DayZ will be DayZ. Knowing how to play ARMA 2 doesn't benefit you in the standalone at all. It's a different game. I understand you - dude who came form COD comunity bought game+expansion just to play MOD will never understand that :)

Are you seriously trying to imply that I came to DayZ with a COD mentality? Really? Call me elitist or not, but I have been on these forums far longer than you, and I have been way more active than you and I most likely know more about this mod than you think you do. I have followed this mod and its development for a very long time, even before I got onto these forums. :I

I do on occasion play COD with a friend of mine when we both feel like squishing some pubbies. But I feel somewhat offended. Congratulations.

Redness for justice.

Edit; It appears I haven't "officially" been on these forums for longer than you, as my actual account was made 2 months after yours.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

Also rocket confirmed that zombies will~run indoors, that alone will make zombies way more difficult.

is that true ???

cuz thats a radical shift for new players ..

its pretty hard to find a place to loot as a new player with slow indoor Zeds.

with Zs that run all the time just like players i can really se new players never having time to stop to search/loot.. cuz Zs will be on their ass from login till death.

• Like 1

Well i have been follwing this thread for a while and since no1 is posting anything new i decided to create an account and live it up even if its something small :P, some new information, tomorrow new tumblr update ;).

is that true ???

cuz thats a radical shift for new players ..

its pretty hard to find a place to loot as a new player with slow indoor Zeds.

with Zs that run all the time just like players i can really se new players never having time to stop to search/loot.. cuz Zs will be on their ass from login till death.

It's true. He's been saying it for a while. It'll be annoying, but we'll cope.

• Like 1

This is the first update when I have sat down and thought “where do I start?” There has been so much going on with the development this month that it is hard to fit it all in a post here. Through the month we have steadily moved from working on our architectural changes, through to preparing for our first public test. The risks and gambles we took last year, are now beginning to pay serious dividends for us.

I’ll be covering the following in this update:

• Lighting and material improvements
  • Volumetric Cloud system
  • New Server Architecture
  • Clothing/Inventory status
  • Closed Test Status
  • Art/World updates
  • Customizing your character
  • Customizing your weapon

Lighting and material improvements

One of our Lead Artists, Mario Kurty, has been working with some of the ArmA3 artists to ensure that DayZ Standalone has the best visuals possible. The result is pretty striking when combined with some of the other improvements we have made in the engine. These improvements make the world really come to life, improving the visuals overall. A comparison screenshot is included and demonstrates the effect of this.

Volumetric Cloud system

This has now been fully configured for use within DayZ, used to great effect in Bohemia’s previous product Take on Helicopters (and coming in ArmA3 also). There are several pictures of this included in the screenshots for this blog update. Running around the world taking pictures, it was hard to resist really. It adds a real sense of realism when compared with the previous result.

New Server Architecture

Our lead programmer, Ondřej Španěl, continues his work on redeveloping our server architecture. Contrary to some who say DayZ will be releasing with no anti-hack mechanisms, one of the key things we are doing with development is entirely redeveloping how the engine works. I can’t stress enough just how fundamental this change is. DayZ’s game servers will function like servers in other MMO style games, that is the server will control the behavior and the sending of updates. No longer will your machine receive all the updates allowing their analysis by various cheats.

We are exploring spawning all zombies and loot at the start of server initialization, again a huge departure from the previous mechanism. This solves many design and technical issues with the spawning and respawning of equipment, such as being able to metagame by telling whether players are in a village by seeing zombie’s have spawned.

Clothing/Inventory status

This has now been completed to a basic level, you can put on and drop various items of clothing. These items can have diseases on them, and they have durability and other attributes. We need to make some models that represent the clothes when they are on the ground (currently they look as they are when on the ground!) Once this is done, we will be releasing some video outlining what it looks like to change your clothes.

Closed Test Status

We have begun our internal closed testing (yes!) and have been working with Valve to ensure our new server browser system is working (we utilize Steam for this purpose rather than Gamespy as for ArmA2). The Server/Client architecture needs to be fully implemented before we will begin our public testing.

We have not initiated our closed test that includes external people yet (such as streamers).

Art/World updates

A huge quantity of changes are flowing into the world. New areas, a mass of new objects (such as wrecked vehicles, buses, etc…) that are all designed with DayZ in mind - such as having good areas for loot to spawn. It is really impossible to list all the changes here, from bug fixing to redesigning of buildings such as the general store, and onto entirely new buildings and areas. One of our texture artists has been going through existing work and making them look more damaged and used.

Customizing your Character

The design has now really ramped up. This is really the entire focus of our efforts for the next few months, prior to starting on vehicle customization and finally on base building at the end of the year. The obvious starting point for us is to allow players to select the gender and race of their character. Beyond this, allowing ways for your character to become your own are key for us; from getting tattoo’s to finding unique clothing items, trying to deal with your own health aliments, etc…

This is an area of very active development, we’re exploring all sorts of ways to make your character change in the world as you play. When you first create your character, the options will be simple. As you go along in the world, your character will change as a result of their interactions with the environment and the decisions you make, through items such as clothing choices.

Social aspects are extremely important to us, and we’ve taken a number of idea’s and participated in the discussions on reddit and the forums about what we can do in this area. Expect more on these area’s in the next tumblr update. We want to support the organic development and operation of groups within the game, through the development of their own symbology in game (tattoo’s, markings on the world, on weapons, etc…). We feel that these redeveloped social experiences told through the game will be a compelling part of the standalone.

Customizing your weapon

Weapon attachments are a great bi-product of our entire redesign of every aspect of the inventory system. Nothing is available to show on this yet, currently the only attachment we have fully configured in the game is the magazine. You must load the magazine with ammunition and then it is considered an attachment to the weapon. The quantity and condition of your magazines will be particularly important in the standalone. Look after them!

When is it releasing?

We don’t know. We’re going to take our time. I feel fantastic about the situation, more than ever I feel like we’re doing something really interesting with this development. Now is not the time to rush things, but we do need to ensure our pace is kept up. Our development blog and getting players in and testing as soon as possible will be key in ensuring we succeed in making this a great game.

Concluding words

At no point in development, have I been as excited as I am right now. The risks we took with the direction have paid off. The engine and approach of the game is now entirely DayZ’s own, it is striking out into it’s own territory as a project. This is very exciting for all the team.

I do need to caution though, it is a bad idea to overhype the project. We know that there are many challenges that we will face from deciding to effectively write a new engine tailored to DayZ. But we are now entirely confident, that this decision will prove to have been the best decision we could make. Now we will be able to make the game that we’ve all always wanted.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/41444643504/this-is-the-first-update-when-i-have-sat-down-and

It also wouldn't be dead if we were just waiting for a simple test to be done. At this rate it's going to be a March release optimistically, pretty lame.

Thank WarZ for that. The core, basic game play has to be well tested and debugged before it appears on Steam. Otherwise the reviewers will tear it apart trying to appear neutral on the whole thing.

Remember that BI had likely financially planned for late December 12 and the obvious influx of funds that would have followed. With ARMA III delayed (My guess the main reason will end up having a complete rewrite of story and another part of earth after the current events.) Many publishers at this point would say "Fuck it let it loose NAO for $$$"

As long as they are communicating and remain on full time development (Pretty obvious that is the case if you read the latest dev blog) the wait is worth it. As it will mean extra sales and extra development funds.

2013 is indeed getting off to a slow start. However, Project Zomboid, Dead Linger, Dead State and many other projects will mature later this year. I suspect by the end of the year we will be up to our eyeballs in games and wonder (Where did my peaceful days of speculating on release dates go?) :P

• Like 1

I'm not really that bothered about the delays. I mean a December release would have been great, but something blows my mind every time we get a new set of screenshots, lol. The new zombies are looking awesome! I'm happy to wait a little longer for a more polished release.

Sad to see the SA wont support modding, I was hoping the devs would even supply mod tools if anything considering there roots it would have been cool to see what people could come up with using the new engine ect.

Sad to see the SA wont support modding, I was hoping the devs would even supply mod tools if anything considering there roots it would have been cool to see what people could come up with using the new engine ect.

As said in the correct topic for this. There is no evidence that tools to make content wont come out. I personally suspect there will be a dev version with just the engine and stuff to make the maps and such that can be submitted to be downloaded to clients via steam. Yet it will take some time for that to happen. Remember that even with the delay. SA will be as alpha as it gets. There is no point making content for a game where the engine itself can change on a weekly basis!

You know what's lamer? A rushed game that fails to deliver. Put your big boy pants on, find something else to do and when the time comes you'll be happy they took their time.

• Like 3

You know what's lamer? A rushed game that fails to deliver. Put your big boy pants on, find something else to do and when the time comes you'll be happy they took their time.

This.

Right now it is kind of unfortunate because by luck all these zombie games are currently in their internal development stages. (Except for Dead Linger which no offense to them is too early in alpha to spend any kind of time playing in) Yet by April/May it is going to be crazy with DayZ and Project Zomboid getting new public alphas perhaps as close as a month from the other.

It all changes by late 2013 tho. In my opinion. We have all these Kickstarter and other projects launching their works. There will be so much to do we might forget that DayZ will still be getting alphas and betas out.

As said in the correct topic for this. There is no evidence that tools to make content wont come out. I personally suspect there will be a dev version with just the engine and stuff to make the maps and such that can be submitted to be downloaded to clients via steam. Yet it will take some time for that to happen. Remember that even with the delay. SA will be as alpha as it gets. There is no point making content for a game where the engine itself can change on a weekly basis!

Well im just going from what the devs have said in there latest Q and A session personally im not holding out much hope for mod tools sadly, as for developing mods before the game is even released its been done before most recently by an FPS developer by the name of Tripwire (Devs of the Killing floor/ Red Orchestra games) which gave modders early access to the SDK and modding tools a full 6 months before the RO2 beta even came out.

Those games are not in the same situation as DayZ in the least.

Is there any MMO with any kind of real modding? (Not WoW UI Mods)

Is there any kind of FPS under a similar situation as DayZ?

Games and Game engines that allow modding are not like DayZ. Hacking in CS:GO is stupid and gets one VAC banned for instance. They can ruin a round or two but in DayZ a hacker can screw up hours or days or even weeks worth of work.