Kyzahh

The 'Hide Body' System

So I thought it might be a nice idea to discuss some of the features that may or may not already be in the mod and how we want them implemented into the standalone. I may make more threads like this in the future if this goes well (please keep it civilized) and I did do a quick search and didn't find anything discussing this feature but I may have missed it, if I have feel free to graveyard this.

Okay, the 'Hide Body' system.

In my view, this needs to be revamped. In real life, bodies don't sink into the ground, you have to dig a hole first and bury them, now I'm not suggesting the dev team add a digging mechanic just so you can hide bodies. What I am suggesting is that you can treat a dead players body sort of like an unconscious body.

- Dragging a body

You've just shot someone and you haven't much time so you want to move their body quickly, perhaps drag it around a corner or into a bush. This would mean it's out of other players line of site and maybe they won't find it, for example, you just shot someone outside of the elektro fire station gates, you want players to be lured into the fire station with hopes of finding some loot only to be turned away when they see a body lying at the gates, so you drag the body inside the fire station and the unsuspecting player is none the wiser until they get closer and hear the flies.

- Carrying a body

You want to move a body a fair distance so you don't mind spending a few extra seconds near the corpse to lift it onto your shoulders, but once you have, you can move a bit faster than you would dragging the body and you're able to walk forwards, whereas dragging a body you can only walk backwards. This would be helpful for setting a trap or loading a body into a vehicle. For example, you carry one or two player bodies out onto the runway at the NWAF, while your squad mates loot the barracks you can keep an eye out on the body and see if any players approach it to check what loot it might have on it.

Another feature that would be nice to see if you were able to carry bodies would be able to throw them (whether or not this would be possible with the engine I don't know). Now I don't mean a huge toss as that would be silly, I mean a small throw that would land them a few feet in front of you. This could be used to drop bodies in things eg. a dumpster. How would you feel if you were walking along in a town or city when you hear the telltale flies of a dead body, only to come across a dumpster with 3 or more bodies inside.

- Loading bodies into a vehicle

Just like it would be nice to be able to load unconscious players into a vehicle, it would be nice to be able to do it with dead bodies as well. This would be useful with multiple bodies to dispose of. For example, You've just wiped out an enemy squad and you don't want them getting their gear back from their bodies, so you have a squad mate bring round the pickup and load all the bodies into the back and drive off to dump them elsewhere.

- Fly spray / insect repellent

'What is this?' I hear you ask. Well, what's the point of hiding bodies if players will just follow the sound of flies? This is why I purpose an item that loots to the tool belt that you can spray a body with and it will remove the flies hanging around the body and in turn, remove the noise that tells players a dead body is in the area.

*EDIT*

- Rigging a body

As simple as that. I have a satchel charge and a dead body, lay the charge and cover it with the body, wait for an unsuspecting survivor to come along, and boom, now you have 2 bodies.

Now, you may argue this is too complex and that if the only reason was because you didn't want players to get the loot and that you could just destroy the loot instead with a full backpack instead. Which is why if this was implemented, it would also need to be fixed the fact that you can destroy loot, thus presenting players with a few choices on whether to leave the body and get as far away as possible or hide it and hope no one finds it.

I'd like to hear others thoughts / opinions on the matter.

~Kyzahh

Edited by Kyzahh
  • Like 14

good ideas.

also the fact that disease is going to be big in standalone could mean players can

use their dead to their advantage. Maybe leaving a dead body in a players tent could

infect all of the items in it?

leaving the dead in ponds or other water sources?

Anyway, great thread, I look forward to seeing more Ideas.

• Like 5

Hiding a body should require an entrenching tool as well. Drag and carry are already in Arma, not in DayZ I guess.

you can carry and drag wounded players..but here i've seen a lot of good ideas!

Hello there

Dragging and carrying bodies is a part of vanilla arma. It's not perfect though.

Currently hiding bodies is flawed, if there were a ragdoll system I would like to see players physically moving/hiding bodies.

I never understood the flies as that's really not realistic at all in the way its implemented.

L

• Like 1

Yeah, everyone of your ideas would be perfect, but hopefully they add more of a ragdoll system to the SA version.

I hope the fly sound effect doesn't play right after someone dies. Maybe after an hour of sitting in the sun, rotting, would the corpse attract attention from decomposers. Handling a diseased or rotten body should have consequences for your health. I like the idea of making a mass grave though.

i'd also like to see if you were able to carry away a dead corpse lying around, dogs and zombies could track the scent of it. For zombies, this could be used to distract them away from a certain area or have your dog find the body so you could score possibly good gear :)

The flies should come in at a later state, indicating how long the body's been dead for.. Perhaps it should work like 3-4 flies would be buzzing around(as an audio) then after 10-15 mins it'd gradually grow louder in each interval as the time goes by.

I would rather that the flies are removed entirely when a person is shot, rather they appear after the body has been present a certain length of time. There should be no way to fully remove a body from the map until a server restart, realistically digging a hole big enough to fit a human body in its entirety would take at least 15 minutes obviously this is not really feasible, so maybe a loner can only partially bury the body which would take roughly one minute, and can stop the animation at any time. I think that you should be able to kick dirt or grass over the body or in order to hide it but another player with a shovel/entrenching tool is capable of uncovering it. Maybe if a group of players hide a body it will be buried or something but the disturbed ground can be spotted and the body can be uncovered by a determined loner or a group. Of course I agree with the suggestion and believe that dragging should be implemented, insect repellent could decrease the rate of decay and delay the time it takes for the flies to begin to move around the body.

Just my 2 cents.