daish

It's Impossible to See at Night! - Other threads will be locked/deleted!

Before I knew that adjusting video settings was considered 'hacking/cheating' the night wasn't so bad. Since I corrected my settings.... the dark is ridiculously dark.

It varies with specific monitors too which isn't that fair. I tested it with 3 monitors that I own and while I could see somewhat okay on one, it would be completely black on another. I mean pitch black to the point where I was staring my own reflection in my face wondering if my video card and/or monitor had died....

Another problem is that although you're trying to play legitimately I was still murdered by another player in complete darkness with no light around just giving evidence that he was cheating the lighting system. I wasn't holding a flare, there were no glowsticks or anything nearby, it was pitch and I was prone moving through a city in the far East side of the coast.

This is alpha so I know it will be eventually addresses and set to something playable.

I also have read that the latest patches and fixes have made adjusting video settings null; However, a bigger problem and one that many have noted is that servers are not running the latest patches as they come out. A closer observation also shows that even if the servers are running the latest patch/fix the players don't necessarily have to.

In other words, a player can be playing using an older patch and is able to adjust his video settings to see in the dark. Meanwhile everyone else is playing in proper darkness.....

Several things' date=' #1 the most obvious being if you don't like it don't play, a bit blunt thought. Another would be simply don't play at night, would solve this crying issue you have, probably adding to the blur on screen. Thirdly this thread already exists its called 'the one and only: the night is too damn dark thread',. coming in a number 4 would be that this solves the gammer warriors cheating at night. fifth in line is the fact this effectively give you 2 game,. easy mode at day, and hard mode at night, personally i welcome the challenge and depth this brings to the game. And rounding off a 6, if this game looses it draw and popularity to you, and people like you, YES,. +1 from me,. fuck make it even more dark, 24/7.

[/quote']

this was only patched in yesterday or the day before there was nobody cheating at night everyone has the ability to turn the brightness/gamma up or down

thats as stupid as saying "that guy is cheating because he picked up a rifle" you all have the ability to pick up better weapons

Yow dude you're digging a hole. You can't speak for everyone.

1. You said 'Nobody is cheating, everyone has the ability to turn the brightness / gamma up or down. Bit of redundancy going on there.

2. Like about 20 people have said if you don't like the game, play on day servers. i did for a while till i grew some balls and went night. It's so much more fun at night. Plus there's like 300 servers for you to play on. I'm sure at least one is daytime no matter what time nii nii time is for you

3. You play on English servers yet lack the ability to spell 'completely' correctly, so i can assume your not the target demographic here.

4. You're a whiny bitch who clearly doesn't know how to handle a challenge, there's torches, chem-sticks, flares and NVG's for this purpose, 80% of which are found quite commonly.

Spoon full of cement?

I partially agree.

I think rotational blur started getting added to games because older CRT monitors would naturally blur moving images but LCDs don't (they have a peculiar "doubling" tearing effect). You can see this for yourself: Disabling TF2's Motion Blur generally has no visible effect when playing on a CRT. As for view bobbing...agreed. Thankfully we can turn that down.

There's only so much the human eye can do with night-time dark adaptation when the moon is not out. In a completely electricity-deprived area' date=' there is NO background light pollution from lit up towns/cities, and that means that no full moon = pitch black.

That being said, it appears to me in my experience playing that ARMA2's HDR features do a great job compensating for bright things, but not very well for dark things. Then again, I've never jacked my HDR setting to maximum.

Could ARMA2/DayZ be tweaked to replicate human night vision better (have it take 2 minutes for your eyes to adjust from light to darkness)? Maybe. It would open up a new tactic for combat at night: [b']Shining flashlights into an enemy player's eyes to blind them so that they have to take 2 more minutes to be able to see anything!

Playing at night is more exhilarating. Playing in pitch black is not. There's a huge difference there. With the moon and stars there should still be some visibility, not utter darkness where you can't even see your damn hands.

Even though I do enjoy rummaging around in darkness at night and hearing zeds all around me, I still think there should be some type of adjustment.

Noone can see you cry at night.

I partially agree.

I think rotational blur started getting added to games because older CRT monitors would naturally blur moving images but LCDs don't (they have a peculiar "doubling" tearing effect). You can see this for yourself: Disabling TF2's Motion Blur generally has no visible effect when playing on a CRT. As for view bobbing...agreed. Thankfully we can turn that down.

There's only so much the human eye can do with night-time dark adaptation when the moon is not out. In a completely electricity-deprived area' date=' there is NO background light pollution from lit up towns/cities, and that means that no full moon = pitch black.

That being said, it appears to me in my experience playing that ARMA2's HDR features do a great job compensating for bright things, but not very well for dark things. Then again, I've never jacked my HDR setting to maximum.

Could ARMA2/DayZ be tweaked to replicate human night vision better (have it take 2 minutes for your eyes to adjust from light to darkness)? Maybe. It would open up a new tactic for combat at night: [b']Shining flashlights into an enemy player's eyes to blind them so that they have to take 2 more minutes to be able to see anything!

It's actually quite rare that you'll find yourself in utter darkness (though it is possible). The human eye still adapts to light levels as low as new moon/overcast (no moon, no/minimal starlight). I believe this was mentioned in the article I quoted, and you can experience it by going outside under those conditions (though that combination can be hard to come by).

I'm not saying you'll see very well - not by a long shot. All I'm getting at is that having absolutely no vision is quite unrealistic. You would still be able to make out your hand, and some details a few feet in front of you. Past say, 10-20 yards it would get tough.

I don't totally disagree with you on the darkness aspect, and I think some people might be wanting more than is realistic. I'm just saying this complete darkness with no vision at all is just following that hyper-realism trend games follow nowadays. It's fixed a problem where games made it too easy at night, but created another problem by going too far that it becomes unrealistic in the opposite way. This is what I was hinting at with blur and bobbing, though it is nice we can turn those down.

Personally, the most realistic vision blurring and view bobbing I've come across was in Mirror's edge. There's slight blurring on the peripherals which mimics the effect of not processing peripheral vision as readily as what's in front of you. View bobbing is also very minimal and more realistic than any other game I've come across. I don't know as though I can recall a game that dealt with night (human) vision perfectly, though I have to imagine it's possible.

... especially since the only time I get to play throughout the week is on night times! Sometimes I just want a quick' date=' fun exploration to top up supplies and scout for new weapons.

[/quote']

This is exactly my situation too. I work all day and can only play in the evenings, which leaves me with the choice of fumbling around in the dark or looking for an overseas server with high latency. Neither option is great.

today i tried a load of servers from RU UK BE NL US all in nighttime and in some places there is daytime in real life maybe all the server got offset or something or not properly syncing with smtp servers?

@ night is the best. It is real but fare.. It is reallife ... Are you see you at home whe it is dark outise anything ???? Nooo so in dayz it is also theeeetsss sooo coool

@ night is the best. It is real but fare.. It is reallife ... Are you see you at home whe it is dark outise anything ???? Nooo so in dayz it is also theeeetsss sooo coool

If you can't see at night after adapting your eyes for 15 minutes there is something wrong with you and you need to see a doctor.

So do the characters we play in Arma 2, apparently..

The lighting in Arma 2 is dependend on the date and time of the particular mission.

I just checked a night server and it was almost pitch black only the bright sand on the shoreline and the sea itself was illuminated and just as I thought there was no moon to be seen, hence the extreme darkness.

So I wanted to know if there maybe just happened to be a full/half moon when you were playing prior to the patch, because these dark nights are definitely common in Arma 2.

The mission date is crucial here. I just placed myself in the editor, set the mission time to 19:00hrs and checked how dark it was ingame. It was very dark and this had two reasons:

First, there was no moon visible.

Second, I left the mission date on Oktober 11th, 2008 which is the standard mission date.

Then I just changed the month to December and left the time at 19:00hrs and voilà it was pitchblack. So I changed the month to July and now there was still daylight, with the sun slowly getting ready to set.^^

That means that if the servers have a real day/night cycle and a date progression it could be that we are currently in a new moon lunar phase where just no moon is visible.

So the real question is if a server restart or an update resets the mission date or not. If not you could just check the different lunar phases of 2008 to check if you could play on a nighttime server without the need of NVGs. :D

Several things' date=' #1 the most obvious being if you don't like it don't play, a bit blunt thought. Another would be simply don't play at night, would solve this crying issue you have, probably adding to the blur on screen. Thirdly this thread already exists its called 'the one and only: the night is too damn dark thread',. coming in a number 4 would be that this solves the gammer warriors cheating at night. fifth in line is the fact this effectively give you 2 game,. easy mode at day, and hard mode at night, personally i welcome the challenge and depth this brings to the game. And rounding off a 6, if this game looses it draw and popularity to you, and people like you, YES,. +1 from me,. fuck make it even more dark, 24/7.

[/quote']

this was only patched in yesterday or the day before there was nobody cheating at night everyone has the ability to turn the brightness/gamma up or down

thats as stupid as saying "that guy is cheating because he picked up a rifle" you all have the ability to pick up better weapons

1. You said 'Nobody is cheating, everyone has the ability to turn the brightness / gamma up or down. Bit of redundancy going on there.

2. Like about 20 people have said if you don't like the game, play on day servers. i did for a while till i grew some balls and went night. It's so much more fun at night. Plus there's like 300 servers for you to play on. I'm sure at least one is daytime no matter what time nii nii time is for you

3. You play on English servers yet lack the ability to spell 'completely' correctly, so i can assume your not the target demographic here.

4. You're a whiny bitch who clearly doesn't know how to handle a challenge, there's torches, chem-sticks, flares and NVG's for this purpose, 80% of which are found quite commonly.

Spoon full of cement?

yeah the servers that have daylight when its dark in Australia are all full and almost impossible to get in everyone had the same fucking idea dident they

go play on a day server you think maybe night is a bit to fucked up if none can even play in it

I'm a new player and I just got the game working. But everything is PITCH BLACK and I can't see anything. There is no point in moving because I don't see if there is a tree or a rock right infront of my face.

Is there a fix?

Let's see now, been playing this series for around 10 years, with many people with different levels of experience. Never once whined about not being able to see at night. Deal with it kiddies. Adjust your brightness. find NVGs, or realise that at night without a good moon or a clear sky you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE.

There's a danger of these wimps ruining the game, and it isn't a positive movement at all.

Let's see now' date=' been playing this series for around 10 years, with many people with different levels of experience. Never once whined about not being able to see at night. Deal with it kiddies. Adjust your brightness. find NVGs, or realise that at night without a good moon or a clear sky you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE.

There's a danger of these wimps ruining the game, and it isn't a positive movement at all.

[/quote']

The gamma bit was disabled, raising your brightness doesn't cut it, I have to be able to see in the first place to find NVG, and It is "Your monitor is off" dark at a certain time every time on the server at night, regardless of date and moon.

I actually liked doing stealth runs at that point of the night where everythng was jusssst visible in a muted dark greyscale. Imo that point where its near pitch black' date=' but you can just see outlines of things nearest you should be the most extreeme case.

this link is a vid i made in 1.7, no gamma adjusts, and just enough vision to keep me scared. perhaps the darkest it should get is just a bit more than the night featured here.

[/quote']

You sir, put my toughts in your words.

First off I haven't read the entire thread. Has anyone considered adding some street lights in some of the big towns like cherno and elektro. Maybe be spread out and no cover the entire city.

Also, maybe there could be like a control station for the city so the lights could be turned on or off. That would give different parties some objectives and maybe force people to use teamwork to keep them on or off depending on what they want. Maybe a group of survivors want some light and a group of bandits with NVG's would want the lights off so they can murder people in the darkness.

Personally, I find the complete darkness frustrating because it is so unrealistic. Fair enough, when it is overcast and raining, then it should be pitch black, but when it is a clear night and the stars are out, you should be able to see a little.

I think it would be a beautiful addition to add a period of eye adjustment. I'm sure you have all been camping out in the bush away from any light and noticed how well your eyes adjust to the darkness after an hour or so.

I would like to see a bigger difference between a cloudy or moonless night and a starry sky or fullmoon.

Because in real there is a big difference, not every night is pitch black, but sometimes they are.

I'll just state my objective observations here.

My server has been emptying at night. Most nights, I'm lucky if there's 5 people online. This was previously a bustling server.

Now for the opinion bit.

The night is too damn dark. I've never, in my life, experienced a real life night where I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. And I practically grew up on my grandparents' farm out in the country at one point.

People don't want to play when the screen is so dark they might as well turn it off. And I don't blame them.

And fuck the flares and NVG suggestion. Flares attract zombies and other players. And NVG are incredibly rare besides.

I bet all these so called 'Hardcore' players will be bitching the loudest of everyone about the darkness if they get killed and lose their NVG.

1. You said 'Nobody is cheating' date=' everyone has the ability to turn the brightness / gamma up or down. Bit of redundancy going on there.

Spoon full of cement?

[/quote']

And you use ad hominem attacks to try and 'win' internet arguments because you can't actually come up with proper counter-arguments. Good going there. You just undermined any point your argument might have had.

I really love the mod and have been playing it for ~240 hours, so don't get me wrong now;

In my opinion, the nights are too dark. Yeah, you heard (read) it, TOO DARK! I mean, there's moon and no clouds, and still everything is pitch black. Now, I understand if it's cloudy and there's no moon (only crescent of it is visible). But without any clouds... You could be able to see SOMETHING. Now you can only see pitch black shapes.

Before this, I could see pretty easily even without the "gamma exploit". Now I can't see shit. You can even look at the horizon and see a sunset, still everything is pitch black. I can't see the logic behind this.

But like I said, I love this mod and dislike the night aspect. So I'm going to use day servers and stop "complaining" now. :)