daish

It's Impossible to See at Night! - Other threads will be locked/deleted!

The problem is that DayZ only influences 2 of the 5 human senses. At night' date=' a real person's sense of awareness is amplified by the senses other than sight. DayZ does not compensate for this, and it shows. People who jump up and defend nights being pitch black have either A: Never been in an open field on a clear night, or B: Don't want nighttime to change so they can feel perfectly safe with NVGs.

Honestly people, before you state that nighttime is perfectly fine, you need to get out of your basement (it's scary, but you can do it) and go out into an open field...away from the city. Take a real road flare with you just to make sure. You may not see nearly as much as daytime, but you definitely know you're either on the road, in a field, and which way it is within a 20m radius.

At night, the game turns into LIMBO without the puzzles or the background.

[/quote']

This guy hit the nail on the head.

I do enjoy it being dark, but it's really fucking hard without NVG. I teamed up with my mate and we both took it in turns to throw flares. We made it from Elektro to Mogilevka before running out (60 flares). No point in picking the flares up because you can't see shit with them being right in front of your face. I think lighter nights (only very slightly, so you can see silhouettes) will greatly benefit the game.

the new patch's are ruining any enjoyment people have playing this game (its a ARMA 2 PATCH that caused nighttime to be pitchblack)

it is now impossible to see at night time its not "hard to see" its "impossible to see" you cant even tell if your in 3rd or 1st person mode that's how hard it is to see

this is a video game for people to enjoy not real life there is no reason you should not be allowed to see at night

you cant use the flashlight and run at the same time no new players are going to enjoy that DayZ is going to die off why make changes that hurt the popularity of the game

if some people do enjoy not being able to see at all make it so only Vet servers are like this

Zombies spawning inside buildings is going to ruin alot of the enjoyment of the game as well running into other players in half the enjoyment of this game not just the zombies

players may be inside buildings all the time so your already careful you do not need zombies to spawn inside buildings

LOOK HERE BEFORE YOU POST ANYTHING video uploaded in HD Quality this is with Brightness and Gamma both set to around 70% and HDR set on "VERY HIGH"

Daish added another video longer and 100% Brightness 100% Gamma no clouds in the sky its unplayable at night and nobody will enjoy playing like this

small changes can destory games Daish has seen it happen many times

You do know there are flares in this game right?

You do know there are flares in this game right?

Ahhh' date=' ok.

So my options are

A) Be fucking blind

B) Throw a giant red "rape me" beacon that attracts zombies

C) Find a pair of NVGs and come on the forums calling anyone wanting even halfway decent visibility a carebear.

All because nights are unrealistically dark.

I swear, have none of you ever been outside at night? Even in the middle of bumfuck nowhere on a cloudy day you [b'] can actually see shit.

All you "hardcore gamer people" need to go outside one night and see for yourself.

You can see basic siluetes of stuff, but no details.

In this game, you can se the line between the sky and ground/trees/buildings, that's it.

I live in Norway, and during the winter time we can have some of the worlds darkest nights.

You can still see basic stuff in a forest during the pitch black night.

You shouldn't be able to play like normal at night. But at least see your own hands.

Aren't you guys all about realism?

I live out in the country (about 15 miles away from any town) its dark at night, but no where near this, the few days the moon is fullest, I can read a book outside. Even new moon is not as dark as this game.

I have been out to Philmont before (scout camp) in new mexico. Out in the back country 30-40 miles away from artificial light. you can still make your way around. the night sky is actually brighter than many city folk are lead to believe.

The only reason I play this game at night vs hopping to a day time server is I got night vision and that makes night look like day.

Nothing to do with this topic, but you cant wear night vision goggles and look through a sniper scope. To see through a scope at night, you have to have a night scope. If you want to add more realism, make night scopes drop that can be equipped to your gun.

Today me and my friend were raging about this. He went to sleep, and I stayed to play. First hour was the worst. But after that - it went easier. Flares really do the trick. It does make you a living torch, but hey, there are not any starting makarovs now, so you probably wont be killed by some kid. And if you encounter some bandit... well that sucks.

Parptarf you do know what snow reflects the light quite good, and it`s mostly white? So couple of stars is enough to make winter nights bright.

You should come to Russia. You know. The place Chernorussia is based upon... So I will tell you a little secret. If you are outside of town in some central Russia, in mid-spring or autumn, and there is no moon in the sky, you will see nothing at all.

And one more thing. Nights in Norway ARE NOT one of the darkest in world. Who told you that crap? Darkest nights are in south. :] Is Norway a southern country?

When the moon is NOT visible, there's only the stars... and you can't see almost anything (assuming you're at least 150km from a big city). The moon makes a big difference, so those ppl claiming they can "perfectly" see at the night:

1) Have experienced it with the moon but never without;

2) They tried it near to a big city;

3) They are cats;

I dunno why ppl are claiming something differently.. with the gamma/hdr cheat it was like playing in daylight but b/w.

PS: you can use the NVG with certain sniper rifles (like the DMR...). But i'm not sure why ppl insist to camp at the night to shoot at other survivors.. we're again at the same argument: this is not CoD.

PS: you can use the NVG with certain sniper rifles (like the DMR...). But i'm not sure why ppl insist to camp at the night to shoot at other survivors.. we're again at the same argument: this is not CoD.

What makes the DMR compatible vs other snipers when it comes to seeing through a scope with nvgs on. your not going to be able to see through the scope with the night vision goggle which is like 2 inches away from your eye touching the scope. at best you will see just a small circle in the scope.

yeah i think ill chime in, after playing a bit in the dark, i can't take playing at night, probably the worst thing you can do in DayZ is run around with a torch or start lobbing flares all over the place..

but it seems that it is unnaturally dark, light doesn't reflect off anything or there is now zero ambient light, also realistically eyes do adjust over time, even in complete darkness you can eventually make out shapes and see what is coming, i've done sentry duty practice a long time ago when i was young in cadets, but i remember being able to see ppl approaching in complete blackness from over 50~60m away. fine if there is no moon ofc. atm it doesn't seem to project any light. and its also quite easy to ruin natural night vision with a small dose of light.

You should come to Russia. You know. The place Chernorussia is based upon... So I will tell you a little secret. If you are outside of town in some central Russia' date=' in mid-spring or autumn, and there is no moon in the sky, you will see nothing at all.

And one more thing. Nights in Norway ARE NOT one of the darkest in world. Who told you that crap? Darkest nights are in south. :'] Is Norway a southern country?

Except Chernarus is mapped from the Czech Republic

It is too dark, I've been on south african farmland at night without full moon and I could still see some detail. That said, people have varying differences in night vision, I'm guessing Mr.CoolToneMappingProgrammer should not drive at night, if that's what he thinks is realistic.

Previously (93825 i suspect) it was entirely realistic with HDR at Very High and gamma at 1.2 for me personally.

So why the sticky post about night had to come from a guy complaining about it being bad for new players? :(

But, anyway, he is somewhat right, the night it's too dark now, it was too bright last patch, and it seems to be a problem of the game itself (ArmA2) because the lighting itself sucks, flashlights, chemlights, flares, it sucks so much, but it's not a problem of the mod so we can't do much in this forum

DISCLAIMER: Not whining, I'm eager to try the new difficulty, so far I haven't been able to.

I gotta ask, new player here (2 days). I'm in the middle of the woods, no clearing, it's raining, using a green chemlight and the I can only see 3 feet forward, and I gotta look down, so I can only see grass.

Is that working as intended? Is because the green chemlight is too weak? Besides nightvision (and I guess road flare would be a lot more powerful light source) is there anyway to deal with this?

I just went into a nighttime server, tried to walk but I really couldn't do anything so I just drank a soda, ate some beans and logged off.

The darkness was perfect before. 20+ othrt friends of mine i play with say the same. Its not even playable at this point. Darkness before patch 1.7.1 was perfect, now its just enjoyable gameplay.

Please revert it back, i refuse to play on night servers at this point.

And one more thing. Nights in Norway ARE NOT one of the darkest in world. Who told you that crap? Darkest nights are in south. :] Is Norway a southern country?

I am quite sure that during the summer months the nights in Norway are anything but pitch black. That's what you have with countries way up north, above the artic circle it won't get dark at all a the moment.

In about 6-7 months time however :)

Having said that, usually it is quite dark inside forrest at nighttime, even in my own country where you will never be far away from (big) city lights reflecting of clouds you can hardly make out anything except vague contours, moonlit nights are better.

And in Chernarus they turned of the lights.

1.7.1 did not cause the darkness. The beta patch locks the brightness and gamma at reasonable levels. Night is dark. Get a light source. Stfu and deal with it you pussies.

Now, I am aware that this is in alpha and I accept being a tester of sorts. I love the game and support it through the high and low points...I'm patient. With the previous ability to adjust gamma to a point where you could see well at night...in the forest...being able to discern different blades of grass, was maybe a bit exaggerated with respect to realism.

I have spent months at sea in the middle of the pacific with the ship in blackout (no exterior lights/ shades drawn), and I could see quite clearly with just the illumination from the stars, and with the moon, sheeeit I could almost see as good as the "gamma nightvision".

I have also conducted nighttime land navigation (in the forest) over miles and was rather adept at it. This was with a search and rescue outfit in the Washington state.

Now, when I play at night since the gamma nerf, it is virtually impossible to walk, well anywhere without being able to distinguish any shapes/structures/zeds. Yeah, I know we get a flashlight now, great /sarcasm, I dont like announcing my position to those with a jacketed lead accelerator if I dont have to.

I think that these gamma nerfs have been taken a bit too far to the point that I am less inclined to play a game that I really enjoy. Not being able to make out an open fields' contours on a dark starry night is pretty un-appealing. Maybe we could have the devs sprinkle magic unicorn dust on the computing device and let us have the ability to tweak the gamma to a little more acceptable level.

What the fuck is with the community here? It's shit. Oh, you have a suggestion that isn't, "Please, Rocket, make me spawn with nothing but underwear, decrease loot, make 10000000000000x more zombies, etc (anything that makes the game harder, really)." is given a response along the lines of, "Go back to CoD", or, "You don't get the game", or "Deal with it and STFU, dipshit."

Anyway, back on-topic. The OP has a damn point. I took my dog to shit about a half-hour ago. That makes it 12:36 AM. After she shat, I thought, "Before I go back to play DayZ, let's see how well I can look in the dark." So, alas, I went on a journey with my dog to the nearby woods where there isn't any light outside of the moon. At first, of course, it was dark as balls because I was just sitting near my porch lights but a few minutes earlier, but, as I knew would happen, my eyes adjusted and I could see a hell of a lot better. Mind you, I couldn't see every damn thing, but I could at least see a bit more than my damn hand, which you'll be lucky to see in DayZ.

The fact of the matter is that this mod tries to be realistic. That's fine with me, that's why I bought ArmA II and DL'd the mod, but the night being pitch-black the entire time when, at most, you should only be seeing pitch-black for 5 minutes (my eyes were adjusted after 2 1/2 minutes) is just NOT realistic.

Half the time when I join a server that's supposed to be night, it's day for me, even when it looks like night to my friends. No need to stay in a darkened server. I just jump to a day server, and if you watch the server stats, so is everyone else. Staying in pitch black servers because of your pretensions of being "hardcore" is just sad. Nerf gamma all you want, it will never matter. As long as there is a day/night cycle, we don't have to stay in night servers, and we won't until it's navigable by default.

does it really f-ing matter? nearly everyone is using ESP hacks anyway (mostly clans). It just means most people (i.e. esp hackers) will head for the nvg spawns... guess where im camping? On the bright side, I just scored 7 DMR mags & 5 nades @ green mountain, Booyah! noone is even bothering visit non-nvg areas. FIX THE G'DAMN ESP HACKERS!! WHO GIVES A TOSS ABOUT DARKNESS!

I know it's been said a thousand times before, but, given the current inky blackness of night, the only thing any sensible player would do is log out. Yes, I know there are flares and flash lights, but if you survive more then an hour or two with those you are either extremely lucky or in the middle of nowhere. You can't on one hand have a game that has a brutal PvP aspect to it then on the other say that, for 50% of the time, you are going to have a giant glowing arrow over your head announcing your position to anyone caring to look.

does it really f-ing matter? nearly everyone is using ESP hacks anyway (mostly clans). It just means most people (i.e. esp hackers) will head for the nvg spawns... guess where im camping? On the bright side' date=' I just scored 7 DMR mags & 5 nades @ green mountain, Booyah! noone is even bothering visit non-nvg areas. FIX THE G'DAMN ESP HACKERS!! WHO GIVES A TOSS ABOUT DARKNESS!

[/quote']

I give a toss about darkness because I find it more fun to play at night than at day time because of the decreased risk of pvp

I agree with those saying they prefer the darker nights. I admit I was one of the gamma whores but now that I don't have that crutch to fall back on, I can play the game how it SHOULD be played at night.

Night time is definitely playable, it just isn't as easy as it used to be. I understand the reaction of "this new thing makes it harder for me so they should change it". ..I do that sometimes too. But when you quit complaining and think about how you can adapt and give it a chance.. In a lot of ways it's better now because I can be pretty sure everyone else is having just as hard a time seeing as me. You just have to use your light sources more carefully. And once you do that the night is perfectly manageable.

It's not hard, you can't see on a clear night with the moon out. I don't know about anyone else but if I went out in the dark with the moon and stars hovering over head, i'm not going to be 100% pitch black blind, i'll have limited visibility sure, but i'll still be able for example see a farging road.

I think chem lights should get a nice bonus to their sight radius, atleast half that of flares, this way people can carry the chem light and see in the dark a bit without having the loud noise of the flare and sparkle effect of it, and the aggro pull from it.

im glad, i was actually quite annoyed that a simple adjustment to gamma could allow you to see on most nights. and im quite new to the game. hasnt turned me off none.