Mike_B

DayZ is now way too hard for noobs

After watching the JefMajor YouTube videos on DayZ(it seems the mod was great fun two years ago), I decided to try DayZ, only to discover that the developers have made the game ridiculously difficult for noobs apparently to cater to their hardcore base.

The zombies can see 50 metres now, can hear a pin drop at the same distance and run at lightning speed.

And no starter weapon.

Are you kidding me?

They say that the new mod allows the player to outrun zombies but this is not true in my experience: the zombies keep up with me.

Exactly how long does it take to outrun the things?

And If I do outrun the things eventually, how is dying of thirst after being chased away from possible loot a dozen times superior to being eaten?

Some post-apocalyptic zombie simulation - zombies that run as fast as horses. *rolls eyes*

Did the developers ruin the mod deliberately to steer people away from the mod and towards the SA game?

Anyway, I'm very disappointed and I will not be playing DayZ any longer nor will I be buying the SA.

Please fraps some of your gameplay and post it so we can have a good old laugh at you. Anyway here is "losing a zombie 101".

Run though a building

Run up a hill

Stand in a pine tree

Crouch in a bush

Really once you get the hang of it Zeds are only a minor inconvenience, in fact you can use them as a weapon, I have killed many a player by gifting them a zombie train.

If you just calm down a bit and simply ask for help we're more than willing to do so. There are plenty of guides and tips not only on this forum, but an youtube and such. There as also a number of other players that will help you get on your feet. For instance, my clan has a mentoring program to teach new players about the game, but you'll have to lose that attitude first.

Best of luck whatever you do.

• Like 1

If you just calm down a bit and simply ask for help we're more than willing to do so. There are plenty of guides and tips not only on this forum, but an youtube and such. There as also a number of other players that will help you get on your feet. For instance, my clan has a mentoring program to teach new players about the game, but you'll have to lose that attitude first.

Best of luck whatever you do.

I'm calm, just a bit annoyed at the direction this mod has taken after going through the hassle of buying Arma and installing the mod.

I don't want help.

On one server a group of experienced players did help me.

After running over me in their vehicle, apparently for laughs, they gifted me a whole bunch of gear, not that I asked for it.

I had everything except a bandage and died quickly after a zombie scratched me, lol.

The idea of needing to team up and have access to all the best gear just to survive just doesn't appeal to me.

The whole appeal of DayZ was survival alone, through my own efforts, for as long as possible in a post-apocalyptic zombie-infested world.

The idea of needing to team up with hardcore veterans does not interest me, although I can see now how the mod has changed in response to the player base using every trick and ploy to gain an advantage, along with incessant demands from the base for a greater challenge as they became more expert and better equipped and supported.

The original JefMajor videos appealed to me as a lone gamer: DayZ was simpler then.

As far as I am concerned they ruined this mod.

But have fun guys.

I'm calm, just a bit annoyed at the direction this mod has taken after going through the hassle of buying Arma and installing the mod.

I don't want help.

After running over me in their vehicle, apparently for laughs, they gifted me a whole bunch of gear, not that I asked for it.

I had everything except a bandage and died quickly after a zombie scratched me, lol.

The idea of needing to team up and have access to all the best gear just to survive just doesn't appeal to me.

The whole appeal of DayZ was survival alone, through my own efforts, for as long as possible in a post-apocalyptic zombie-infested world.

The idea of needing to team up with hardcore veterans does not interest me, although I can see now how the mod has changed in response to the player base using every trick and ploy to gain an advantage, along with incessant demands from the base for a greater challenge as they became more expert and better equipped and supported.

The original JefMajor videos appealed to me as a lone gamer: DayZ was simpler then.

But have fun guys.

post-31685-0-66895700-1355896300_thumb.j

Lol.

It's a simple learn to play issue on your end buddy.

You aren't my buddy.

It's possible to play this mod solo. I can survive for weeks, alone, armed with only a hatchet. This game requires patience.

I love how you said "(it seems the mod was great fun two years ago)" why would you buy ArmA 2 CO for a mod it seems you know nothing about. The mod came out around the middle of the year. And There are servers that give you starter gear. I thnk they should pt this post in the grave.

Edited by Garzak36

I love how you said "(it seems the mod was great fun two years ago)" why would you buy ArmA 2 CO for a mod it seems you know nothing about. The mod came out around the middle of the year. And There are servers that give you starter gear. I thnk they should pt this post in the grave.

Yes, right you are.

My mistake, the JefMajor videos were posted in June 2012, apparently before the mod was changed to disarm the player at spawn.

After watching the JefMajor YouTube videos on DayZ(it seems the mod was great fun two years ago), I decided to try DayZ, only to discover that the developers have made the game ridiculously difficult for noobs apparently to cater to their hardcore base.

The zombies can see 50 metres now, can hear a pin drop at the same distance and run at lightning speed.

And no starter weapon.

Are you kidding me?

They say that the new mod allows the player to outrun zombies but this is not true in my experience: the zombies keep up with me.

Exactly how long does it take to outrun the things?

And If I do outrun the things eventually, how is dying of thirst after being chased away from possible loot a dozen times superior to being eaten?

Some post-apocalyptic zombie simulation - zombies that run as fast as horses. *rolls eyes*

Did the developers ruin the mod deliberately to steer people away from the mod and towards the SA game?

Anyway, I'm very disappointed and I will not be playing DayZ any longer nor will I be buying the SA.

We shouldnt forget that the mod is a testing field for the standalone. Zombie behavior is hard to balance in the mod, but experimenting will help to improve the standalone experience. Call me an optimistic, lol.

Yes, right you are.

My mistake, the JefMajor videos were posted in June 2012, apparently before the mod was changed to disarm the player at spawn.

It doesn't matter if you have no weapons when you spawn, a Makarov is useless against players anyways and zombies are easy to lose.

The Game is hard I'll give you that but like I said in my last post, there are servers that give you starting gear. That's how i started I won't lie but when I got a good handle of the game I switched to normal servers that give you the normal starting gear. All i'm saying is don't give up on it just yet.

Edited by Garzak36

Hmm I dont agree. People are the real problem for me. Always killing me even if I say friendly.... Bushes are ur best friends to.

I don't want help.

But have fun guys.

I never said you had to be part of a group to survive, I merely said there are plenty of "zombie avoidance" guides and such that exist, and that my clan, and I use that term very loosely, has a mentoring program that helps teach new players how to survive on their own.

For a long while I played entirely alone and learned the game on my own when it was still in a state similar to this (no starting gun etc.) and sure it was a bit rough, but I rose to the challenge and thrived on my own. Even now that I'm a part of TMW I still find myself being self sufficient; getting my own supplies and finding and maintaining my own vehicles, not relying on having an overwatch before entering a hotspot. It is definately doable and you'll figure it out if you go into it with the right mindset.

If the no starter gun really bothers you, trust me, you're better off unarmed than holding a Makarov. Once you get a feel for the loot spots you can find a hatchet within the first 5 minutes, and that's being generous. From there, just look for barns and deerstand and you'll have a nice starter rifle to defend yourself with. I still wouldn't kill zeds with them though, shooting them just gets you killed in the end.

If you really want to survive with no help at all, then be my guest. It is extremely possible and most of us have done it to some degree. After a week or two of playtime you'll laugh at how easy zombies are to deal with and how easy it is to find any gun at all.

Edited by (TMW)HerrJon

I have only got into this game casually playing for a month and just started getting more involved recently. Its is Fantastic like most people here I admit I never played the ARMA 2 game or even knew about it till I found out you need it for this. And at this point I am a self confessed Bambi but I still love the shit out of this game its trial and error everyone knows the feeling of just finally getting your kit together and then chewing lead from a bandit its what makes the game so immersive.

Im not flaming here either put in the hours to brush up on it or go play CoD or Halo like all the other Casuals its Simple what helps is actually playing the ARMA 2 Bootcamp and playing its Campaign that experience alone has doubled my knowledge of the engine and its commands I highly recommend you play ARMA2

Happy Hunting

Edited by Big Bear

There are so many guides and people willing to help etc. that if you find it too hard, well that's your own damn fault.

Every game has a learning curve, DayZ is no different.