Sign in to follow this  
bfisher

day z needs more vehicles!

The past couple days I found a private server with an absurd number of working vehicles. Like several in every town. Balota airstrip was litterally a parking lot. Now I know the dayz purist will say that something is lost by not having to spend 3 days scrounging for parts only to have it stoloen. And that may be true. But imho tons of cars make for a faster, more dynamic game:

The roads become a LOT more dangerous.

More flexibility living out of a car than a stationay tent.

Some protection against bandits and snipers

More tense moments waiting to see where that convoy is heading

the drama of helicoptors going down in cherno and electro

less time spending hours wandering the wilderness...unless you want to...there are good reasons to trade speed for stealth

Road trips!

So what do you think? Should cars be rare and valuable items, common as makarovs or somewhere in between?

• Like 2

I agree that adding additional vehicles to a server can be a positive. It allows players to meet with friends faster and also encourages team work to get non functioning vehicles working. Some servers take it way to far though with the amount they add.

what server are you playing on?

All I ever see is 200+, 300+ vehicles in the title, but never really see more than usual.

What you are describing is the type of server I would like to play on for a while.

Ive played on several private hive servers, and I do enjoy having several vehicles on the map. I play for the realism, and in an actual zombie apocalypse all of the working vehicles woulden't just dissapear now would they?

On the other hand, I don't like the idea of vehicles being as rare as makaraovs. They should still be something it takes some skill to work for, and maintain. We wouldent want every sinlge bambi running around with a huey crashing them repeatedly into cherno now would we? So no, they shouldent be as rare as a markarov, but in the standalone I would like to see them not take four days of hunting to find an unclaimed vehicle, simply for the realism aspect of it.

I'm happy with the number of vehicles. I think most cars in any given area will be used to try and escape the zombie apocalypse so we really should only be dealing with the broken down dregs. Making them more common would practically eliminate the chance encounters in the middle of the woods that could really go either way. People would just be zipping about from heli crash to heli crash and only coming into contact in these kind of areas.

Cars will be more dangerous to have in the next patch anyway. At the moment, as soon as you have a car you can ignore the zombies due to them not spawning as you drive and not being able to attack you in the car. The new patch will have zombies spawn as you drive by and they will be able to drag you out the car. Will certainly make navigating the roadblocks/debris a bit more hairy, especially in cars that aren't great off road.

I would like to see a bit more variety in the type of vehicle and spawn locations. Who wants to be just another guy in a white pick up when you could have a nice land rover? The set spawn locations make it too easy for the vehicles to get hoovered up.

All I ever see is 200+, 300+ vehicles in the title, but never really see more than usual.

What you are describing is the type of server I would like to play on for a while.

Dallas DayZ Madness 1400+ Vehicles (1.7.4.4/99153)

:)

I like common vehicles because I'm usually too lazy to look for parts to repair and fuel them. Also, vehicles are fun and cool no matter what.

Yesterday a survivor gave me two Volgas with a total of 6 jerry cans, an M249 SAW with 750 rounds, two FN FALs and ammo, replacement parts, the list goes on and on. That's basically how I get all my vehicles. B)

For gameplay reasons I hope not too many vehicles are added. Perhaps there should be more repairable cars but make them harder to repair then. Having a working vehicle in a zombie apocalypse should me something special rather than everyone on the map having one. I always avoid those servers with 100's of vehicles and 10's of choppers. Completely goes against what DayZ is about IMO.

I don't think it's good for the game to exaggerate the bugs by adding more vehicles.

When you're in a vehicle, no zombies spawn. Enough said.

Rocket already stated more vehicles will be available but finding gasoline and parts will be the equivalent of finding 5 m16's in a fire station pretty uncommon in other words.

I like the idea of not-so-rare vehicles, but extremely rare fuel.

I don't think it's good for the game to exaggerate the bugs by adding more vehicles.

When you're in a vehicle, no zombies spawn. Enough said.

I think no loot spawn either. But that's more of a technical problem, not a gameplay issue IMHO.

I respectfully disagree with those who say vehicles are in opposition to what DayZ is about or not "realistic" for a zombie apocalypse. In films like the Romero Dead films, Zombieland, the Walking Dead, even Resident Evil, having ground and air transportation played a key role to the story. Realistically, you would have a hard time surviving a zombie infestation without some form of transport. I don't think it should be Grand Theft Auto, but having a bunch of half-fueled junkers that are just one bullet or bump from breaking a mile from the next town isn't bad.

Don't worry, On the high vehicle server I've been playing on, the coast is still a shit storm!

Amount of vehicles is fine, maybe a little higher thou

The biggest problem is, that on chernarus there is too much space to hide a vehicle. kilometers of forest on the north and west sides and most vehicles are actually there

I think no loot spawn either. But that's more of a technical problem, not a gameplay issue IMHO.

It's an immersion breaker. Same with zombies not being able to inflict damage on vehicles, and other stupid bugs like zombies staying away from the huey, creating a safe zone around it.

I can understand keeping some vehicles because there are technical issues,(as opposed to removing them completely until the issues are sorted) but we shouldn't consider increasing the numbers of something with many technical issues associated with it.

It's similar to how they're increasing the number of enterable buildings in Chernarus plus. If they didn't also address the bug of zombies walking indoors, that (in my opinion) would be hurting the game. It would create even more bugginess for players to exploit.

I do want more vehicles, it's one of my first suggestions on this forum, but since then I've come to realize that more vehicles won't help if the same bugs are still present.

Edited by bad_mojo

Amount of vehicles is fine, maybe a little higher thou

The biggest problem is, that on chernarus there is too much space to hide a vehicle. kilometers of forest on the north and west sides and most vehicles are actually there

I find on normal servers, it's pretty rare that I see even a broken vehicle (other than maybe a bike).

• Like 1

Cars should be more like this:

Class a, b and C.

A= like brand new, very rare, good resistance to shots, is reliable, has some stuff liek wheels already in ( the gear), good milage

B= average car, kinda beat up, need parts to get it moving when you ifnd it BUT nothing crazy, just something like a tyre or an engine, quite common, ok milage

C= worst, really common, engines/ other parts will slowly break as you use it so will need a lot of maintenance, slower, less protection too.

Something along this line.

This I believe would be the way to go.

Even having weapons like this would be awesome, like a percentage near the weapons to describe how good it is, like an AKM at 50% would take 3 shots to kill and be a more inaccurate compared to a 100% akm , which is more rare.

I was playing on a server that had 800+ vehicles, and motorcycles at every spawn.

The catch was that is was always night time, and it rained alot.

cars should be extremely rare. i like where they are now. so, no to your suggestion. servers with a lot of vehicles are stupid.

Actually they rule.

Seriously, who wants to spend hours running from Kamenka to...anywhere else? The maps are so big your chances of encountering someone away from the coast or the NWAF are pretty small.

And why make vehicles so rare that anyone who actually puts one together then hides it forever off the edge of the map?

I wonder if anyone else, like me, usually leaves the vehicles they come across in favour of travelling on foot? I prefer hiking, it draws less attention and you don't miss anything on the way so if I find a vehicle I usually check it out but leave it anyway. Maybe to shorten travel time to the next ville I'll borrow it but for me more vehicles on a map probably wouldn't make a lot of difference....

more bikes, however, then we'd be talking!