Sign in to follow this  
Pixelwarrior

is dayzSA a MMO or a FPS?

I've been pigeon holed several times. You soon get used to it.

@OP it's neither and a little of both, hence it's viral popularity, there's nothing quite like it.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Somebody call 911 Frags is choking on a pigeonhole!

(edit)

Frags I think from this day forth I shall use pigeonholing as a sport upon thy shiny and gleaming forums.

I will use pigeonholes inappropriately and with extream prejudice!

Edited by Pendragon
  • Like 1

It's going to become an mmo in certain ways. For some FPS'ers that still hold some ignorant asumptions that mmo'ers can't hang with you all, you are dead wrong. I have played a PvP mmo for the last 3 years (Warhammer Online) and I can hang with the best of the FPS gang. I am not trying to put down the guys that have played FPS's for years at all, but don't underestimate the skills of a good PvPer from the mmorpg world. I do know how to keybind around 40 keys and use them very effectively. EDIT: my 17 button mouse helps out quite a bit.

Edited by Rhoak

lol, he must be at work.

So am I! Best time to post on the forums. Of course he may actually have to work at his job! :(

Rhoack I don't think anyone was bashing mmo players. Hell some of the hardest of the hardcore mmo it up!

Edited by Pendragon

It's going to become an mmo in certain ways. For some FPS'ers that still hold some ignorant asumptions that mmo'ers can't hang with you all, you are dead wrong. I have played a PvP mmo for the last 3 years (Warhammer Online) and I can hang with the best of the FPS gang. I am not trying to put down the guys that have played FPS's for years at all, but don't underestimate the skills of a good PvPer from the mmorpg world. I do know how to keybind around 40 keys and use them very effectively. EDIT: my 17 button mouse helps out quite a bit.

You're first stating that DayZ WILL become an MMO. Then you say RPG players can also play FPS, and lastly you brag about changing key bindings and your mouse? What's the point here?

You're first stating that DayZ WILL become an MMO. Then you say RPG players can also play FPS, and lastly you brag about changing key bindings and your mouse? What's the point here?

Nothing really in particular, just shooting the shit....and wasn't ment to be bragging at all.

Nothing really in particular, just shooting the shit....and wasn't ment to be bragging at all.

Never shoot the shit... It splatters!

Pigeonhole! :P

• Like 1

Never shoot the shit... It splatters!

Pigeonhole! :P

touche`

Edited by Rhoak
  • Like 1

DayZ is not really both yet it has features/part of booth.

DayZ is a Survival Sandbox ...in time be an MMO

When DayZ has 5 maps and all connect and more players on per server (servers would have all 5 maps and you use zoning/instancing to each), players have one character per server

Then it will be reaching the level of a MMO but right now its just learning how to crawl..alpha

DayZ could introduce a new game genera, where games will be sandbox and hardcore (or at least have the option) the experience will be the main core focus on these future games.

These would be games that would setup the world and it's rules then allow players to do what they wish within these rules.

EDIT:

I would love to see an Alien(s) (from the movies) game built around a sandbox hardcore survival like DayZ.

Picture your a survivor on a planet where there is an Alien outbreak. There were Space marines who landed but it went all to hell.

You one of the last survivors and you hope that your signal will someday bring a rescue party but till then you must survive the harsh world, the Aliens and even players vs players who feel there is only enough supplies but not for everyone.

I hope DayZ's success would bring a game like this, inspired by DayZ's survival and harsh world mechanics.

Edited by logan23

would you not end up sitting in a vent....(or a bush for that matter :P )

but on topic this has much more scope for a mmofps then planetside 2 (which I play) insofar as attachment to character and possible RP elements....

not like oh...i died, lets respawn at the bio lab north tele room and use my T1-S with +1 underbarrel nade launcher again

Answering the thread title and ignoring the ongoing debate:

It is not an fps (first person shooter) simply because it has third person perspective as well, a free floating camera third person, not just over the shoulder.

MMO (mass multiplayer online)... Mass can refer to many things in different context and is to vague to say it is or it isn't. Although I would say under certain context It is in fact a Mass mutliplayer online game (mass{ive} based on the large 225 square km map allowing dozens of people to play simultaneously without loading between regions and connects players remotely via online access)

The game falls into each of the letters making up the acronym MMO. However with that said it does NOT fall in the known genre people relate to the acronym of MMO.

So what is DayZ? ... It is a game, play it, enjoy it, and don't over analyze or try to force into media created categories which depreciate creativity and try to keep everything in black and white.

I think it's wrong to call it a FPS. There shouldn't be enough ammo for people to play it as one, anyways.

I'd called it an MMOS: Massively Multiplayer Online Survival game