Sign in to follow this  
Pixelwarrior

do you think peripheral dots will be in dayz standalone?

I hope not. :) They feel like cheating... I hope when they stripped out all of the Arma II stuff they took this out too.

• Like 1

When you play the game in "mercenary" mode, so NO 3rd person cheat, no tags, no CH, then there are NO dots.

It is just that 99% of servers run on "cadet" mode, with 3rd person, with CH, with Tags.

hope they are, tbh I think they were a great idea that was poorly implemented, they just need to be line of sight, as in if there is any obstruction between the viewer and the peripheral dot, say like a tree, wall etc etc, then they should not show..

hope they are, tbh I think they were a great idea that was poorly implemented, they just need to be line of sight, as in if there is any obstruction between the viewer and the peripheral dot, say like a tree, wall etc etc, then they should not show..

Agree,

Remeber that the game has like 70 fov default if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

They were introduced to simulate the intuition that you have caught something out of the corner of your eye, an awareness, that exsists in real life.

One or two other games have tried to do the same thing, to different degrees of success, or not.

I like it but I think the range of detection needs to be reduced.

Yes, I believe it will be included.

As for TrackIR, no its not cheating at all, I turn my head to look left, right up down all the time and if I want to scrutinise some thing I zoom in, as it were !

The

Complete noob.. Uhh what do they actually detect? :P

The white dots on the sides of the screen are representing zombies.

It is to simulate your peripheral vision, what you see in the corner of your eyes.

They dont detect anything that you allreay hasnt detected AFAIK.

players can come up as red or green dots (think it depends on the skin they use) white is zombie and also can be wildlife.

I like them too. Just need to reduce the angle, and fix the LOS to be more realistic.

Also some sort of gunfire direction flash would be welcome. Audio is still fucked in the game. I even bought an expensive headset but find myself spinning around dancing as I try to detect where a shot came from. not realistic. Sorry I went off on a bit of a tangerine there.

I wouldn't mind greatly reducing them.

I agree with Calibre in saying they were a great idea that was poorly done. They add to the lifelike simulation of the game (which is the main reason I play) but the ways they can be used gives players an unfair advantage. If one was to need food, they could simply turn their head from a large field, and any unseen animals by the players eye would show up as grey dots in his "peripherals". I would love to see them in the standalone, just fixed to the point that they act more as a realism effect, and less as an advantage.

I like them, they need to be retooled as stated, but if they are not i don't care. Just give me a fish eye option! (Athough i am sure people would find fault with this also)

• Like 1

Good idea, poor execution. I can see zombies spawning on the other side of a mountain!

Edited cos my phone duplicated the post

Edited by bigdogsco

Get rid of them... Leave it to the player to see hidden dangers themselves.

Anything else is baby walking them.

I like this game because it leaves things upto you, the player- when it helps you with toys it breaks immersion whilst taking potential encounters away from you by simply avoiding "white blobs"... Seriously not good.

...and to add to that, do we see white floating blobs in real life..?

...no...

...the white blobs must be killed...

Kill 'em all...

There would be one good reason to keep them ... for hunting. In truth a skilled hunter can track animals for quite a distance, this can be used to simulate that so that you don't have to hope you run into an animal. I've used it for that purpose for months now and it works quite well, it's not 100% effective but most of the time it works well. It has to be daytime and if there are a lot of zombies around you can forget it, but in the woods it's a good technique.

As for the zombies, I rarely if ever even pay attention to it for that purpose.

However, it also shows up for vehicles so I guess you could say you're "tracking" the tire tracks :)