Failbait

It's OK To Not to Love PVP

I am of the school all playstyles should be allowed to thrive within a game. Unfortunately it's near impossible to do in a FFA enviorment.

and what if u are at the north , somewhere quiet? little town. i dont no really what else it is u can do except PvP lone wolf or PvP in a group but whatever it is can u not do it in one such place without dieing? i expect the only problem is when one hacker kill u which is not pvp or kos fault. also i notice that there IS groups of people even at the south where i am. i kill often couples and the most in one time 3 peoples who are together. so they are enjoying this kind of game also - it is not FFA (fight for all) of course.

one time i was go to electro for some firestation action when i saw one guy in the dark. i creep at him bya wall but then suddenly i hear many gun sound and in the 5 second of dieing i see FOUR guys surround my body!! so they CAN play how they want and DO. its the answer if u are "care bear" to either HIDE north and do what u do that is not Pvp OR u make group and hunt bandit. that is how the game "intended" i beleive, not to make bullshit about playstyles on the websites/videos.

But it's not for everyone and a big part of that is because there not good at PVP...or have no brains when it comes to combat.

Its not a question that they're "not good at it", but infact they choose alternative playstyles. Some games are pure PVP as we all know, but this game can carter for the mass of different styles of play in which players may choose to adapt at any given moment.

About the "no brains" thing in the post, have a look at this

Anybody or in this case a chimpanzee can be taught to aim and shoot.... But are also very intelligence mammals, who hunt and form strategies which require cooperation.(Just making a point).

So you cant just state someone isn't good at something just because they have a different playstyle, who knows what anybody could achieve.

Its down to the individual to play as they see fit, be it Survivor/Hero/Bandit even the odd schizophrenic Murder.........

Edited by Maca

ive been playing this mod/game since early june..

havent killed another player yet..

still having fun..

guess im doing it wrong.. hahah

theres never a lack of narrow-minded PVP people in these threads..

"what" you dont PVP ?, thats impossible.."

• Like 5

Well it's good that you avoid it, and feel remorse. This game, being sort of a social experiment, reflects what you would do and how you would feel in real life situations similar to this... despite the fact that this is a game. So yes, it is okay to not love PvP.

• Like 1

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy hunting bandits but for the most part I prefer to avoid or help people. DayZ isn't a deathmatch, it can be whatever you want it to be.

• Like 3

As a medic, I've gotten killed a lot before and never really killed anyone. I'm taking a temporary leave of absence from the medical profession until the standalone is realeased, however, and I've been trying out other playstyles in the interim. Killing is hard for me and something I'll probably never get used to (which is probably a good thing). The only people I've killed and felt no remorse for were the ones who just killed my friends or my patients.

Just the other day on Panthera, I had one of the most disgusting murders I've experienced take place. I had stumbled across a helicopter that was in great shape, and had just returned with fuel for it. As I approached the helicopter, I saw some poor bloke with a hatchet poking around at it, so I raised my crossbow and sent a shaft through his chest. He didn't die, but his legs broke and he started shouting that he was friendly. I didn't care and I didn't want to risk the only helicopter I'd ever 'owned', so I shot him again. I ended up standing over him while he was unconscious, shooting him two more times, slowly, with my crossbow to finally kill him.

I felt terrible afterwards, and proceeded to die anyway since I hadn't gotten enough fuel to reach a refueling point and crashed into the fuel tank as I was landing and the engine ran dry. Perhaps if I hadn't killed him he could have helped me haul more fuel.

Playing a PvP style is certainly an experience, but it's not for me. What I would 100% love to do is play like a true bandit, robbing people and kidnapping them to make them haul gear/loot dangerous areas/whatever I want. But unless a lot of issues are fixed and some things changed, that won't really be possible. I'm afraid today's DayZ player would abort the instant any of those things happened.

• Like 3

Well it's good that you avoid it, and feel remorse. This game, being sort of a social experiment, reflects what you would do and how you would feel in real life situations similar to this... despite the fact that this is a game. So yes, it is okay to not love PvP.

if u are are playing like its RPG game then ok u can act to feel remorse but if u are just playing a arma 2 mod for PvP FUN like many player do then ur comment is such ridiculous to read!! to me it make me laugh u know. i have the same satisfaction when i kill in World of Tanks my other MMO. its normal satisfaction when we kill in a game for that is the aim of most games. it is just the same thing in dayz for me but much satisfaction because like op say its one "great fucking game". i dont think i am ascending to the firestation ceiling if this happen for real becase i do it in a game lol. edit - conjugations suck

Edited by Marcellus_Wallace

No, you really don't. Surviving the environment and running at the sight of other players isn't challenging at all. Squad vs squad pvp is the most challenging and rewarding part of the game.

If you don't pvp I wonder what the fuck you've been doing for the past few months. After you've geared up do you just sit in a bush til you need to get more food? Namalsk is possibly the only map worth playing that way, but on Chernarus.. are you serious? "roughing the wilderness".. 'cuz dat wilderness is so rough, bro.

Pvp game with zombie/survival elements.

Personally, once I've collected basic survival gear (matches, hatchet, etc.), and found a vehicle, I just start driving around the map collecting vehicle parts and repairing additional vehicles. I'll usually stock them with some extra supplies, bandages, morphine, even a gun if I have an extra, then I leave it in the open for someone to find and go on my way. I'll also wait for people to ask for help in sidechat then fly or drive to them and administer a bloodbag or some morphine. If I find a camp I'll drop off some of my own supplies then hit the nearest military loot points to add to their gear. In other words, I do whatever I can to help people, directly and indirectly.

I've put 325 hours into DayZ according to Steam, and in that time I've heartlessly murdered 2 people. Like others, there was a time when I was frustrated and figured I'd try the "COD kiddie" route where I kill everyone I see on sight. I did it for a couple of hours but felt awful, especially because the people I killed didn't even have anything I wanted, so I gave up on it.

I understand the pull of PvP. It is a great challenge, particularly in Arma with the realistic ballistics. I don't even get mad when someone snipes me from several hundred meters, instead congratulating them with a "Good shot!" in sidechat. PvP is a big part of what makes DayZ great. However, there are a lot of other aspects that make DayZ great as well, and on behalf of the thousands of players who avoid unnecessary PvP yet still love DayZ, I can assure you there is far more to this mod than collecting a gun and killing everyone.

• Like 1

The only people I enjoy killing are bandits. When it comes to other survivors, I'll rob them once in a blue moon (I'm probably the only Hero that does that :P). I only kill a survivor when he won't respond to me and serves a threat.

Hello there

To PVP or not to PVP, that is the question.

I see many folk in threads such as this stating that if one doesn't PVP then "one is doing it wrong". I disagree.

What floats someones boat may not float someone else's, it's fine to love PVP, but it's not for everyone, and those people still enjoy the game, even if people with opposing views see it as an experience with "no challenge".

With PVP in or completely removed I still enjoy the game. Yes, it alters the experience but doesn't take away the fun, one just plays with a different mindset.

I'm a big arma fan. I enjoy PVP and Co-op etc, I have also enjoyed just driving around Arma's maps in a car as it can be quite pretty.

I think Arma and Dayz are what one makes of them.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
  • Like 1

if u are are playing like its RPG game then ok u can act to feel remorse but if u are just playing a arma 2 mod for PvP FUN like many player do then ur comment is such ridiculous to read!! to me it make me laugh u know. i have the same satisfaction when i kill in World of Tanks my other MMO. its normal satisfaction when we kill in a game for that is the aim of most games. it is just the same thing in dayz for me but much satisfaction because like op say its one "great fucking game". i dont think i am ascending to the firestation ceiling if this happen for real becase i do it in a game lol. edit - conjugations suck

I also play World of Tanks, awesome MMO! I enjoy the pvp aspect and the stats involved in that game, the same as in Planetside 2 which I'm also playing at the moment. I don't play Dayz the same way as these though because it has the potential to be played in other ways rather than just the one focus. I'm hoping the environment in the SA is more unforgiving so survival becomes more difficult, this will also shorten the lifespans of dedicated pvpers who aren't in a group so they might be more inclined to work with other survivors, maybe protect them from hostile groups.

I can see the attraction of pvp in Dayz but it seems pointless to ignore the other parts of the game to me and I expected when I first started playing to see more survivor groups vs environment/bandits, Roll on the SA...

I like the pvp,but rarely do I just kill for its own sake. And sometimes I like just wandering the woods. Really if you want squad based pvp arena combat with 50 cal sniper rifles go play cod or battlefield. If you like exploring a vast wilderess not knowing if that building up ahead contains a potential friend or a clan of psychotic jerks, play this game.

• Like 2

@Chris1479

Why are you so hostile for a care bear? Let the butt hurt flow and just join the dark side.

I hear all these guys telling awesome stories about how they met person X randomly in the wilderness/fire station/wherever and how they communicated and after a rocky start eventually hung out and became allies etc etc.

WHERE ARE THESE PEOPLE?

I encounter no one and nothing except unspeaking murderous children who should be playing CoD. I have yet to have an encounter - post the initial few euphoric weeks of playing this game - that did not involve them running straight at me with whatever is at hand or simply blowing my brains out with a high-powered scoped sniper rifle from 3km away.

I would dearly, dearly, love to be able to say "Hey whats up" over in-game VOIP and get a friendly response, or for someone to offer a friendly "Hi friendly?" before they just bulldoze my corpse into a ditch and walk away with what little I own.

I confess, I'm not a huge PVP fan in most games, but PVP in this game feels... futile. There are no attempts at contact or negotiation or communication whatsoever. When I've spent days crawling around looking for a GPS (I actually found one, and a whole bunch of awesome stuff the other day) and just getting one-shotted from a speck on the horizon I just haven't logged in since. I wasn't even annoyed at that point I just thought to myself "What is the point?"

Thoughts?

Dude, go to a server with side chat. Ask if anyone needs anything. Give it to them.

Or come play with me. I meet friendlies all the time.

• Like 1

I hear all these guys telling awesome stories about how they met person X randomly in the wilderness/fire station/wherever and how they communicated and after a rocky start eventually hung out and became allies etc etc.

WHERE ARE THESE PEOPLE?

I encounter no one and nothing except unspeaking murderous children who should be playing CoD. I have yet to have an encounter - post the initial few euphoric weeks of playing this game - that did not involve them running straight at me with whatever is at hand or simply blowing my brains out with a high-powered scoped sniper rifle from 3km away.

I would dearly, dearly, love to be able to say "Hey whats up" over in-game VOIP and get a friendly response, or for someone to offer a friendly "Hi friendly?" before they just bulldoze my corpse into a ditch and walk away with what little I own.

I confess, I'm not a huge PVP fan in most games, but PVP in this game feels... futile. There are no attempts at contact or negotiation or communication whatsoever. When I've spent days crawling around looking for a GPS (I actually found one, and a whole bunch of awesome stuff the other day) and just getting one-shotted from a speck on the horizon I just haven't logged in since. I wasn't even annoyed at that point I just thought to myself "What is the point?"

Thoughts?

Try an underpopulated server for a bit, one with 10 people or less. You'll have far fewer PvP encounters, the ones you have will be even more exciting both because they are rarer and you won't automatically try to kill the guy, and it's a lot easier to make friends in game because you can trust people more. If you see someone and say "friendly at NW airfield?", you don't have to worry about a dozen bandits immediately heading that way to kill you because you announced your position. I rarely play on servers with more than 15 people because I find them to be PvP free-for-alls.

That being said, you'll still have to deal with it, just not as much. Monday I was one of just four people on a server looting a hunting stand. As I started back down the ladder I saw a bandit not 30m away pointing his handgun at me. He starts shooting, but fortunately it was just a makarov and he wasn't taking headshots, so although he hit me at least 5 times, I was able to run behind a bush, pull my AKM off my back, and kill him before he could finish me off. I asked him why he would try to kill a player with a makarov and his only response was that he'd do it again (I told him at least aim for my head). Just a few weeks earlier I was shot in the back looting another hunting stand on a server with only two other people.

• Like 1

Just had to kill 3 people who noobrushed me on Takistan.

It's obnoxious.

I don't avoid conflict because I'm bad at. I avoid it because I don't need your Winchester or M4. Already got better guns, simply because I'm not dying all the time.

• Like 2

Its not a question that they're "not good at it", but infact they choose alternative playstyles. Some games are pure PVP as we all know, but this game can carter for the mass of different styles of play in which players may choose to adapt at any given moment.

About the "no brains" thing in the post, have a look at this

Anybody or in this case a chimpanzee can be taught to aim and shoot.... But are also very intelligence mammals, who hunt and form strategies which require cooperation.(Just making a point).

So you cant just state someone isn't good at something just because they have a different playstyle, who knows what anybody could achieve.

Its down to the individual to play as they see fit, be it Survivor/Hero/Bandit even the odd schizophrenic Murder.........

No there just not good at it.

No there just not good at it.

THEY'RE THEY'RE THEY'RE THEY'RE THEY'RE THEY'RE THEY'RE THEY'RE

Short for "THEY ARE" ABBREVIATION

There = "Oh look over there, it's a guy who can't spell properly" LOCATION

Their = "Damn, have you seen those guys' spelling? Their spelling is the worst!" POSSESSIVE

• Like 2

No, you really don't. Surviving the environment and running at the sight of other players isn't challenging at all. Squad vs squad pvp is the most challenging and rewarding part of the game.

If you don't pvp I wonder what the fuck you've been doing for the past few months. After you've geared up do you just sit in a bush til you need to get more food? Namalsk is possibly the only map worth playing that way, but on Chernarus.. are you serious? "roughing the wilderness".. 'cuz dat wilderness is so rough, bro.

Pvp game with zombie/survival elements.

I gues you didnt understand my aproach, meaning i avoid people, also means i avoid setlements and larger areas or civilization, meaning finding decent gear takes longer, finding food and drinks takes longer, having to move alot due to those, increases my chances of seeing people also, which in turn increases the times i put on my cardboardbox and start the evasion. thus far, i see people on a server with a population that is around 15-25 when i am online, i see one person every 20-30 minutes. i have been alive for nearly 30 hours in game, doing just this, And i still lack A watch, A Gps, A map, Matches. My equipment is mediocre, M1014 no attachment, 2 stacks of pellets 1 stack of slugs, m9 sidearm, not SD, 1 frag nade was lucky enough to get attacked by a bandit who carried one of those. no epi or morphine injectors, no painkillers, no heatpacks. coyote pack still.

btw, chernarus is suddenly very small, when you have more than 20 people there. especially when no one wants to hang around coastal areas, apart from cherno.

Edit: did i mention i do all this by foot? i avoid vehicles too.

Edited by DiazWaffleCrabstro

and what if u are at the north , somewhere quiet? little town. i dont no really what else it is u can do except PvP lone wolf or PvP in a group but whatever it is can u not do it in one such place without dieing? i expect the only problem is when one hacker kill u which is not pvp or kos fault. also i notice that there IS groups of people even at the south where i am. i kill often couples and the most in one time 3 peoples who are together. so they are enjoying this kind of game also - it is not FFA (fight for all) of course.

one time i was go to electro for some firestation action when i saw one guy in the dark. i creep at him bya wall but then suddenly i hear many gun sound and in the 5 second of dieing i see FOUR guys surround my body!! so they CAN play how they want and DO. its the answer if u are "care bear" to either HIDE north and do what u do that is not Pvp OR u make group and hunt bandit. that is how the game "intended" i beleive, not to make bullshit about playstyles on the websites/videos.

FFA is free for all, Mr Wallace. Also you misunderstood me i believe. When I say all playstyles should thrive, I mean that the option is there for them to play as they see fit and have an enjoyable time. (Which hopefully will improve in the SA) But because of the free for all enviroment, these type games will always evolve to the wolves feeling superior to the sheep and turning the game into nothing but a frag or be fragged game. I've seen it many times where the few victimize the masses and to keep the money flowing the masses will be catered to. So go ahead and call them carebears because they prefer other avenues of play, then complain like i do about how they took a game you loved and ruined it. By all means play it like it is a giant battleground and the only playstyle is your playstyle. I am to old to care anymore. I play however i feel like playing (on any given day) and will continue until the wolves & carebears ruin yet another game i enjoy.

If it wasn't for the "care bears" the bandits wouldn't have anyone to hunt. Its not like they go looking for a fair fight.

Personally I change my attitude depending on where I am. If I'm on the coast it means I've just started and I want to get starter gear and get out. I will shoot any who looks at me funny cos with few exceptions they will do the same to me.

Same if I'm at stary or nwaf. People are just too squirrelly at these places to be particularly trusting.

But the crucial point is they have to act in a particular manner to make me shoot them. The problem there is that normal player behaviour ie sneaking about with a weapon pointing is inherently suspicious. I've probably been killed by many potential friendlies just because I'm sneaking about close to where they are hiding.

Wasn't it Rocket who said he remembered killing his first person and instantly felt regret.

There's more to DayZ than KOS and increasing your kill/death ratio, but each to his own, I enjoy the advanced psychological aspect of DayZ and you kill-on-sight-lol players actually adds to this element. As a survivor/hero, you never know if the player you encounter is a peaceful survivor or someone purely playing for teh lulz.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

For me it's ok even if i never PvP (only killed one survivor but in self-defense) but for me those snipers shooting you out of nowhere specially when there are a lot of zombies to kill, and a lot of them are scripters who spawn with full gear, for me that's lame and coward, but if they are like that in real life then they have an excuse for that.

Wasn't it Rocket who said he remembered killing his first person and instantly felt regret.

There's more to DayZ than KOS and increasing your kill/death ratio, but each to his own, I enjoy the advanced psychological aspect of DayZ and you kill-on-sight-lol players actually adds to this element. As a survivor/hero, you never know if the player you encounter is a peaceful survivor or someone purely playing for teh lulz.

Not first, only.

For me it's ok even if i never PvP (only killed one survivor but in self-defense) but for me those snipers shooting you out of nowhere specially when there are a lot of zombies to kill, and a lot of them are scripters who spawn with full gear, for me that's lame and coward, but if they are like that in real life then they have an excuse for that.

If it wasn't for the "care bears" the bandits wouldn't have anyone to hunt. Its not like they go looking for a fair fight.

@ the both comment many time after i kill a survivor (even at point-blank) am then HACK killed by him. many times i am shooting from a roof and only i am killed..this is a "care bear" hacker. i dont mean of an sniper or bandit hacker but the persons who are hacking for making revenge on bandit for they can not do it fair in the game. they are the more shit player of all, worse than even teleport hacker for they make it rationalising in they mind. so yes they are fucked like that in real life. i get no beans for saying DayZ is for all playstyles but not hackers..becase there is SO MANY hacker left at dayz players. its like it became okay to hack certain way becase of other hacker but this is not good. i have fear is just the same shit at the final game :(

FFA is free for all, Mr Wallace. Also you misunderstood me i believe. When I say all playstyles should thrive, I mean that the option is there for them to play as they see fit and have an enjoyable time. (Which hopefully will improve in the SA) But because of the free for all enviroment, these type games will always evolve to the wolves feeling superior to the sheep and turning the game into nothing but a frag or be fragged game. I've seen it many times where the few victimize the masses and to keep the money flowing the masses will be catered to. So go ahead and call them carebears because they prefer other avenues of play, then complain like i do about how they took a game you loved and ruined it. By all means play it like it is a giant battleground and the only playstyle is your playstyle. I am to old to care anymore. I play however i feel like playing (on any given day) and will continue until the wolves & carebears ruin yet another game i enjoy.

FFA it can be "free" for all if u want it but i say the same - they make there groups and have there thing u know. i know it for they hunt me. i like these player. so i dont understand what u want more than it. where ur saying they go to cater at the masses - if they delete the PvP i just dont buy it friend. its ok. but if u mean they make bandit have one arm and he is stuck in one wheelchair then i STILL play the same. if they are having SAFE ZONES then i wait just in my wheelchair outside from it u know with my not hacked gun! i wont be complaning anything of that, even if they are removing one wheel u know :)

Edited by Marcellus_Wallace