Smirl

DayZ PC vs Console

From Rocket's writings, I didn't get the impression, he was wholehearted excited about the industry. Guess why he ended up making DayZ as a mod for PC?

That is obvious. You can't make Console mods, nor is there any console games that would be even remotely moddable for the various reasons you mention. I agree that games in general (not limited to PC or Console) are easy, and generally just crap. Ubisoft, EA, etc... Only care about money and not a good product.

Ubisoft released the next in the Driver series. A series I loved back in the day, 3 being my favorite (much like GTA) They decided to "return to their roots" and just make it a simple driving game. It failed miserably. They wanted to take the easy way out and make a quick buck.

Also, I am completely against DLC and I never purchase them. I agree that is just another way for them to rob you blind and until people wise up and realize that $20 for 2 more maps is retarded then it will only get worse. Though that is entirely up to the game developer and not a user-created content issue.

All in all it takes indie groups to create something away from the now common/ordinary, but generally don't have the budgets and resources of the mainstream which sucks entirely. That's why there are things such as kickstarter programs, etc.

The PC vs Console debate will go on and on and it is all about your preference, what it boils down to is how the game is controlled. KB&M/Controller.

• Like 1

By the time this game is ready for a real release, the 360/PS3 will be dead. When it comes out for consoles it will be for 720/PS4.Those systems will have no problem running it like the PC version with the added bonus of playing with a more mature gaming community.

That's what consolebabies believe.

If the rumor is true, about the Xbox 720 having a 1.6ghz quad core, then it won't be running this game like it does on PC, that's for sure.

Also, people seem to forget that the graphics for the Xbox were actually better than the Xbox 360 graphics when the 360 first came out because devs take a long to take advantage of the systems. The same is true for the PS3. Don't expect the next gen consoles to be much better, if any better at all than the current gen consoles until about a year down the line.

most of the kids play console because its cheaper then pc gaming.

Eh? P.C. games are way cheaper than the Console version. Picture a tool like Steam, every holiday there is a massive sale up to 75% off titles, I have not come across a console version of steam with such price deductions.

P.C's may need upgrading after a while but with some of the stuff on the market now there are many cheaper alternatives. Just Google a component and you'll have a variety of different prices for said component.

For now the P.C. does not need MSL points, though when the next Xbox comes out they are doing away with the points system (Intergration to cash along with current OS system). Ask 2 different players on console the exchange rates of points and youll be amazed, some people are getting taxed on top of the cost of the points.

For example, I have had my current P.C. for the past 5 years (It was one of the best at the time) over the years i have had only to buy a GPU that cost me £150 (X4 Console games if that) Then i pay only for cheaper games than console (Providing they are not exclusively console related)

My Kid's have a console each (They will never play together) each one of them wants about 4-6 games a year (Rule of thumb is if you don't finish it you don't get a new game) that on top of peripherals (stupid motion camera's, controllers, steering wheels, fooking plastic guitars) the console world is far more expensive.

• Like 2

I can't really imagine a military simulator on a console. The controller wouldn't have enough buttons, the map would be small and other shit like this. I'm sure console players would like it, but it wouldn't be as good as the PC version.

Edited by Sutinen

haha, good joke. really. :-)

Do Pc4Life types not see the irony when they make posts like this?

Hello there

Did not OFP:elite have a full sized map?

Also, the PCvsConsole debate will never be fully "sorted", some folk just love em and some dont. Nowt wrong with that.

Rgds

LoK

Well Operation Flashpoint: Elite was released in 2005 and was a port of 2001's Operation Flashpoint and BI released Armed Assault a year later in 2006. So yes Elite had a full sized four year old map. :)

If DayZ does come out on console, the map would be the size of cherno or the graphics would be crap, and if it comes out for 720/ps4, maybe they could make the chenarus map in the console version, but certainly not the chenarus plus map

Consoles are for children and extremely casual adult gamers.

With consoles come limitations. It's obvious that every game which requires a lot of resources to reach it's maximum potential must be made for PC only. Some companies have often made the mistake of prioritizing a game for the console market and therefore haven't built it to it's full potential because the consoles can't handle it. Result, the PC version suffers and if not from a poor port, then due to wasted potential. This irritates me, so as a matter of principle, I always play on PC even if some games I like are more suited for consoles or if they're for the consoles only.

A game optimized across the board for each and every player. PC, it's all about who has the better system to run the game.

It doesn't take a great computer to run most games these days, at pretty high settings. And in most situations, lag has little to do with the outcome of a match. But it's always been a favorite excuse for people who can't match up.

Better controls. PC fanboys can say what they want but this game doesn't require many buttons at all. Plus the xbox has a lot of buttons/key combinations that it isn't even an issue.

Can you imagine trying to work the arma 2 menu with a controller? I sure can't. In any case, no, I would say much more restricted controls, which is far from better. But ultimately, I suppose that's preference. Not everyone has the dexterity to master a keyboard while working a mouse, I suppose.

Hackers? Yeah... not something you'll get on console.

Yeah, they are something on the console, actually. A little less recognizable, but they are most certainly there. I think it was MW3 in particular that saw a dramatically large rise in hackers on the console? Not that they weren't there before, but with a game as big as MW3, a lot easier to notice.

If DayZ ends up on Console-

The console players will not be playing with the PC (possible MAC) players because I have a feeling that there will be scarifies done to the console version do to limitations.

We have to remember the Dayz SA is designed and fitted for the PC's abilities which the console might not have the same flexibility.

Proof of this- Minecraft on PC vs Console.

It doesn't take a great computer to run most games these days, at pretty high settings. And in most situations, lag has little to do with the outcome of a match. But it's always been a favorite excuse for people who can't match up.

I have a i7 with a 1gb graphics card. I get pretty bad frame rates, I turn the graphics down and I get around 20-30. Lag can sometimes have a big outcome, especially if someone's shitty connection is ruining it for everyone else.

Can you imagine trying to work the arma 2 menu with a controller? I sure can't. In any case, no, I would say much more restricted controls, which is far from better. But ultimately, I suppose that's preference. Not everyone has the dexterity to master a keyboard while working a mouse, I suppose.

The game is not optimized to use a controller. Simple as that. Gamepads, when optimized can do more than you think. This button might do this when you're on foot, but when you're in a vehicle the game mechanics uses that button for another function, and when you're in the menu system it uses those buttons for another feature, and so on. What is complicated about Arma 2's controls? Move, Aim, Shoot, Enter vehicle/drive vehicle, Inventory system. Like I said, the controller has plenty of buttons to do the job it's just a matter of the game properly utilizing those buttons.

Yeah, they are something on the console, actually. A little less recognizable, but they are most certainly there. I think it was MW3 in particular that saw a dramatically large rise in hackers on the console? Not that they weren't there before, but with a game as big as MW3, a lot easier to notice.

Please tell me what hackers can do on a console? Most I heard of in any game is "aim bots", something I have never seen for myself.

Im both a Pc and console gamer, and PC is far superior in every way. The graphics, control, player base, potential its just way better.

Got my new rig a month ago and when I launched dayz up everything maxed out I had a damn seizure.

I used to play Xbox all the time before i got my PC, now it serves as a fairly large Netflix box.

Once you go Mac you never go back.

(I dont own a mac i just liked the rhyme)

• Like 1

Better controls. PC fanboys can say what they want but this game doesn't require many buttons at all. Plus the xbox has a lot of buttons/key combinations that it isn't even an issue.

Hackers? Yeah... not something you'll get on console.

First off, better controls is an opinion. Not everyone prefers controllers.

Second, are you serious? No hackers? That's not true. At all.

Consoles are for children and extremely casual adult gamers.

Way to generalize everyone, buddy.

At the current rate, DayZ will be coming out on the consoles as a top down view game only as they can't generate the requirements.

Ooo, think about that DayZ meets Chaos Engine, could be a mobile version!

Shhh shouldn't have said that! Spy's everywhere!

Yeah, that's great that DayZ is a mod but this style of game has been something that people have wanted for a long time so it was only a matter of time. What I mean by player created content is things like user maps, etc.

To my knowledge Rocket was in the gaming industry already and it's not like he was some joe-smo who modded this game to his vision. So it was only a matter of time before he made his own game.

I honestly don't see why a console would have to "dumb" down features from a PC version. If the console can handle the PC requirements, what needs to be dumbed down? I've played DayZ on the higest settings and it is NOTHING special in the graphics department.

I think it's just the stigma PC gamers have in thinking they are the top tier in gaming and that kb+m rules the world.

The bold part, you are only throwing a guess out there at that, nothing else, maybe a semi educated guess..after the fact. And in any case when he made his mod it was a simple mod like most, not something he expected to receive the attention it did.

So you don't like mods..well maps or content mods, based on a mod. I guess you only play Chernarus then so are missing out on Namalsk and other ported dayz maps ? wait up..the patches also now have a ton of player modded content as well..

One of my favourite things about pc gaming is mods, they fucking rock.

Regards dumbing down..you ever played a decent flight sim on a console ? Me neither.. why is that ? Closest they have ever gotten to a decent flight model was in Birds of Prey based on IL2's FM and DM. At least it was a step in the right direction for consoles but despite its better than average reviews it was still classed as a very easy game to complete. The FM and DM's still were not as good as the original much older pc game..reason? The consoles could not do the required amount of calculations that was needed by the AI to make it a clone of the pc version, simple :) So thus it had to be 'dumbed down'. It was still cool that a decent flight sim was available on the console as many saw it as a stepping stone to the more hardcore pc version of flight sims for people just wetting their feet in that niche area.

BoP also has no moddability..a big killer for many fans of flight sims.

Quick review on Birds of prey..

http://www.simhq.com...3/air_413a.html

PC gamers have known the excellence of the IL-2 Sturmovik series for years while console gamers had to suffer through titles like Blazing Angels and Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.K.. Now 505 Games has brought us hope. Hope that a near simulation WW2 fighter game can make it on a console system.

Now I do not pretend that any game released on the Xbox 360 console system could match the power and speed of the personal computer. The right PC is a powerhouse with many more capabilities. But I am diving into IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey hoping for something approaching the first real flight simulation for the console..Bottom line, this is the best flying game ever for the Xbox 360 console system.

As for seeing no differences between pc and consoles..don't take my word for it, check some reviews on these 'non niche' games..

Over and above the benefits of the resolution increase (on a pc), we also see other elements you might consider to be staples of the PC experience: shadows have more samples, lighting appears to be operating to a higher level of precision and particles are more generously applied throughout the levels.

In last year's Modern Warfare 2 tech comparison we talked about how enabling "extra" quality textures gave the player a bump in detail level for the PC version over the console game. In Black Ops, the same option is present but it's fair to say that the increase in visual quality is significantly higher.

on PC, the extra resolution, the more solid frame-rate and the increase in artwork quality all combine to create an experience that knocks the console versions for six.

all from here.. http://www.eurogamer...od-black-ops-pc

The PC vs Console debate will go on and on and it is all about your preference, what it boils down to is how the game is controlled. KB&M/Controller.

Yes the pc v console 'gamer' dispute will always be around, choice is good or we would all be stuck with one gaming platform, who the fuck doesn't like choice ? I like being able to game , have a recording program open, be on TS or skype, have music playing and then the ability to do a hundred different tasks whilst surfing the web. I also like the ability to be able to mod games and use others mods. Consoles do not have what i want in an all in one package so you can class me as a high tier whatever you want if you wish.

It certainly does not boil down to just a simple controller issue.

Like i said originally though, if the dev team can port it successfully to console they will more than likely make a stack more money than they will on pc so why not ? It would seem silly not too

• Like 2

The bold part, you are only throwing a guess out there at that, nothing else, maybe a semi educated guess..after the fact. And in any case when he made his mod it was a simple mod like most, not something he expected to receive the attention it did.

You are right, it was just a guess, a hope, a wish, a whatever you want to call it. It was also not limited to just Rocket in making a game like this, but someone in the gaming community capable.

So you don't like mods..well maps or content mods, based on a mod. I guess you only play Chernarus then so are missing out on Namalsk and other ported dayz maps ? wait up..the patches also now have a ton of player modded content as well..

I have played the other maps, and to be honest they aren't that interesting. This is all my opinion so no need to take offense. I'm not impressed by any of the patches either. This is simply from my perspective as a gamer. The mod itself is completely riddled with issues, but its the concept I'm craving and not the execution. I realize "modding" is important in PC gaming, but it also brings with it an immense amount of bugs, issues, hacking, etc. I'd prefer a polished game that wasn't moddable.

One of my favourite things about pc gaming is mods, they fucking rock.

Like I said, glad you like it. I don't.

Regards dumbing down..you ever played a decent flight sim on a console ? Me neither.. why is that ? Closest they have ever gotten to a decent flight model was in Birds of Prey based on IL2's FM and DM. At least it was a step in the right direction for consoles but despite its better than average reviews it was still classed as a very easy game to complete. The FM and DM's still were not as good as the original much older pc game..reason? The consoles could not do the required amount of calculations that was needed by the AI to make it a clone of the pc version, simple :) So thus it had to be 'dumbed down'. It was still cool that a decent flight sim was available on the console as many saw it as a stepping stone to the more hardcore pc version of flight sims for people just wetting their feet in that niche area.

The better question would be have I played a decent flight sim period.

In the end I think the consoles hardware, albiet outdated can still handle a full scale version of Day Z. I think the only thing holding it back is server capacity/cost. Normally MMOs charge you by the month, or now do their "Pay to unlock" features via in game stores to rake in even more cash than one would pay with a simple $15/mo fee. This, on top of services like XBL makes it even more difficult to ask from the gamers.

This is all my opinion so no need to take offense.

None taken , i lost two of my smileys when i reformatted my post.

:)

:)

Please tell me what hackers can do on a console? Most I heard of in any game is "aim bots", something I have never seen for myself.

You have no idea what you're talking about. What hackers can do in a game is not limited by the hackers themselves, it's limited by the company that makes the game. ArmA was a game that was made to be hacked, most games aren't made to be hacked though, which is why you don't see these kinds of hacks in any other games, and you won't see them in the standalone.

If DayZ ever came out on console, there would be the same hacks on PC as on console.

I would probably play the PC version mainly for myself, but then a console version with friends and family I know who are very interested in DayZ, but are strictly console gamers.