stalkarn

Hide tents offline

In the the stand alone version (and maybe the mod) the tents should be hiden when you logg out.

Reason: One shouldn't have to play 24 hours a day to keep there stuff.

To prevent people from logging out because their tents are threatened, the tent should disapear after e.g. 15 minutes.

Please don't come with the argument "It is not realistic" or something like that because it's not realistic to log out from the world either, nor exist in the world when you feel like.

• Like 2

That's pretty stupid, the whole point of tents is to have a storage that is not secure. Don't put stuff into tents if you don't want to loose them. The real problem is that they're way too easy to spot, espeacially with a helicopter. People with a helicopter can find any base on the map within a few minutes, it's really ridiculous an defeats the purpose of even having one.

• Like 2

Who said that was the point of tents and what says that that reason can't be changed?

Btw, for me the point with tents is to store things you don't have room for. And it's stupid not do be able to defend you camp because you are on a vacation irl.

Edited by Stalkarn

This is an awesome idea, perhaps we could call it something like Global Inventory or something like that?

• Like 9

This is an awesome idea, perhaps we could call it something like Global Inventory or something like that?

I see what you did thar. hahaha.

Tents aren't secure, so if you want to have secure storage you need to group up to defend what you own.

Who said that was the point of tents and what says that that reason can't be changed?

Btw, for me the point with tents is to store things you don't have room for. And it's stupid not do be able to defend you camp because you are on a vacation irl.

Do you think it's just random that it stays even after you die? That's not because you should have a place to re-equip yourself but so other people can find the stuff you've hidden away.

People are waaay to attached to their stuff.

• Like 1

This game isn't supposed to be easy. I know that losing loot sucks, but it's part of the game. You'll find more of it. And why do you need more than a backpack worth of stuff anyway, unless you're using it to re-equip after dying?

If anything needs to change, it's that we need better hiding spots for loot caches. They must be visible, but maybe not so obvious as the tents currently are.

I wouldn't be as picky about caches being vulnerable if they were destroyed on character death. This would take some extra fields in a database somewhere, but it is doable. That would mean that players would be forced to start over on character death. We are supposed to be simulating surviving in a zombie apocalypse right? Not just a game where we collect loot? A real survivor would start with nothing or next to nothing, not an extensive network of equipment caches.

Edited by Washburne

and then how could i exist as a camp raider?

By raiding the camps of living players?

Might as well make the player still be visible to shot at when you log out, as fun as haveing your hours of scavenging lost because you are on cristmas holiday.

Tents aren't secure, so if you want to have secure storage you need to group up to defend what you own.

Right, and my point is you can only do that if you are online 24/7. It is a game and as in every other game the developers have to take in to account that you can't stay online round-the-clock. Just make the tent disapear after a few minutes/hours. You don't want to start from the beginning if you come back after a week.

I'm sure there is many people online when you play.

This game isn't supposed to be easy. I know that losing loot sucks, but it's part of the game. You'll find more of it. And why do you need more than a backpack worth of stuff anyway, unless you're using it to re-equip after dying?

If anything needs to change, it's that we need better hiding spots for loot caches. They must be visible, but maybe not so obvious as the tents currently are.

I wouldn't be as picky about caches being vulnerable if they were destroyed on character death. This would take some extra fields in a database somewhere, but it is doable. That would mean that players would be forced to start over on character death. We are supposed to be simulating surviving in a zombie apocalypse right? Not just a game where we collect loot? A real survivor would start with nothing or next to nothing, not an extensive network of equipment caches.

A fotball game isn't supose to be easy either but atleast both sides has to be there to win the game.

In the the stand alone version (and maybe the mod) the tents should be hiden when you logg out.

Reason: One shouldn't have to play 24 hours a day to keep there stuff.

To prevent people from logging out because their tents are threatened, the tent should disapear after e.g. 15 minutes.

Please don't come with the argument "It is not realistic" or something like that because it's not realistic to log out from the world either, nor exist in the world when you feel like.

emphasis mine

That's what drugs are for dude. And with how attached you are to your gear, you're probably going to need some soon.

• Like 1

Might as well make the player still be visible to shot at when you log out, as fun as haveing your hours of scavenging lost because you are on cristmas holiday.

Right, and my point is you can only do that if you are online 24/7. It is a game and as in every other game the developers have to take in to account that you can't stay online round-the-clock. Just make the tent disapear after a few minutes/hours. You don't want to start from the beginning if you come back after a week.

you're right, but what's the point of having a camp if you don't have a group? If you have a group there can be people of your group online more time. You can carry all the crap you need on your backpack, ofc you can have some extra stuff, but why? To get armed quickly after you die? being offline is the same as raiding cherno, you don't know who's in your camp, or if there's someone in your camp, it's just like irl, if you go to find food, your camp is unprotected, which is why it is kinda useless to have a camp i you don't have a group so there's always someone watching the camp.

Also, what if you had your camp in a popular spot, and say you go offline for a week and someone else got a camp where you had yours, what would happen?

Edited by IncognitoNico

First of all: The most important stuff that I care about isn't to gear up new weapons and shit if i die, but the food and drink and medicine.

emphasis mine

That's what drugs are for dude. And with how attached you are to your gear, you're probably going to need some soon.

Ok.

you're right, but what's the point of having a camp if you don't have a group? If you have a group there can be people of your group online more time. You can carry all the crap you need on your backpack, ofc you can have some extra stuff, but why? To get armed quickly after you die? being offline is the same as raiding cherno, you don't know who's in your camp, or if there's someone in your camp, it's just like irl, if you go to find food, your camp is unprotected, which is why it is kinda useless to have a camp i you don't have a group so there's always someone watching the camp.

Maybe, but if it was irl you couldn't just "log out" to do other stuff. That is the problem I try do solve. And it is still unprodected if you go find food when you are online, well you can't offline :P ). I'm not saying that I wan't the tents to be "unraidable" only that it's a game and you have to take in to account that players can't play the game 24/7 365-366 days a year.

I agree with Stalkarn on the fact that tents are basically useless if you can't play 24/7, but I'd like to refer back to a post, http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/107101-drop-backpack-save-backpack-stash-idea/ that talks about using backpacks as tents too. I think that since tents hold so much gear they should be vulnerable, but if you have a heli you can find every base within an hour or two. And everyone is saying that "oh it isn't realistic if tents disappeared", read what Stalkarn put in the post before you comment against his idea. Finally, I do like his suggestion but if the devs add in smaller "tents" like the backpack idea then the problem wouldn't be that tents would be to obvious it would be that there would be 100 backpacks in the same spot...

By raiding the camps of living players?

yes but then it would be possible that i run a couple of hours and tents spawn 100m back on my path where i wouldn't come again on that server..

First of all: The most important stuff that I care about isn't to gear up new weapons and shit if i die, but the food and drink and medicine.

Ok.

Maybe, but if it was irl you couldn't just "log out" to do other stuff. That is the problem I try do solve. And it is still unprodected if you go find food when you are online, well you can't offline :P ). I'm not saying that I wan't the tents to be "unraidable" only that it's a game and you have to take in to account that players can't play the game 24/7 365-366 days a year.

irl you will probably be sleeping in your tent, this resulting in a loosing stuff+death

the point is: you don't put stuff that worth the effort to be stolen..i always set a little tent, just keeping inside an extra backpack, extra food and meds, map or compass, knife and matches, a primary i don't use(sometimes it's just a lee enfield or an akm) a secondary weapon, some parts for vehicles.

when i set this kind of tent i've been robbed only of my meds and someone took the compass and a can of beans..you cannot keep 3 as50 and nvgs and complain about them getting stolen!

Edited by Bludy

I think it's completely against the unforgiving nature of the mod. If you got something too good to hind in your tent, carry it along with you.

There will be underground buildings that any player can build out of various materials.

These "buildings" can, and WILL be used as hidden storage areas. There was concept art posted on the russian forums(though in english), showing options of a simple, shallow hole so you can bury your backpack, a larger hole with a door at the top with dirt on it, which is able to store even more, and even a 2x4 meter underground room which you could enter, and it had a light-source, lockable door, and a stash box in it.

So stop complaining.

Yes, but then again, being offline is the same as raiding cherno for food or exploring or going to the nwaf for ammo and shit, when you're doing that stuff your camp is also unprotected and you can't do anything about what happens to it. Even if you could be online 24/7 365 days/year, I doubt you would spend all your day protecting your camp would you? Plus you would play on servers close to you to have good pings so other people in the server probably get offline around the same times you do.

Edited by IncognitoNico

Absolutely not! They should be persistent when you log out.

Guess what will happen when you do something like making secure storage? I know because it's happened on every other game.

Eventually everyone has all the stuff they could ever need or want. Nobody needs to help or rely on one-another. The server databases get full of junk nobody even uses anymore. High-end gear becomes more and more common because anyone can hoard it so everyone does. People rage quit when they do actually loose their stuff somehow because they got so attached to it under the false pretense that it was somehow totally secure.

Actually I wouldn't mind if they figured out a clever yet interesting way for your avatar to stay persistent! If I had the tools and options to hide my character very well yet not be 100% safe I would TOTALLY love that. As it stands right now you don't have these capabilities built into the game.

Alas too many people would shit themselves and punch their monitor if they logged in with the message "You were murdered in your sleep.... should find a better hiding spot next time!" and all their precious little pixels were gone.

Edited by Penny Sue
  • Like 3

Let go of the gear fetish. You will enjoy your time here much better.

I would rather have my body be persistent in world after log out than have safe storage.

Stuff should never be safe..ever.

I agree that better hiding places need to be implemented, but there should always be the chance that no matter how great your hidey hole is someone could find it.