rocket

New Dev Blog Report: November 2012

How would that be dumb? It's a ZOMBIE apocalypse. Granted, there shouldn't be massive hordes of zombies literally everywhere, but there should at least be some roaming in the forests and less densely populated areas.

seriously did u visit every town in this game yet? there is like... hmm maybe 50k people living cherno and u want to put like 150k people in wood everywhere. that would be so fun to prone prone all the way to elektro to airport ... or running like a mangoose and aggro 2000 zombies to get at the airport.

seriously did u visit every town in this game yet? there is like... hmm maybe 50k people living cherno and u want to put like 150k people in wood everywhere. that would be so fun to prone prone all the way to elektro to airport ... or running like a mangoose and aggro 2000 zombies to get at the airport.

Change the density of with the Zombies are spawning in the forrest. The forrest should not be overrun with them, but they got to be there to, they got to be everywhere so that they can be an constant threat every player has to worry about all the time.

Zombies rigth now cant attack you while in a conifer tree or really close to a bush(when you manage to get in a house and change stance to a less noisy stance while moving in, zombies will go straigth to you, but cant find you if you eye- and earicon is low or empty. When they attack you they run towards you from a couple of meters, if they dont show that behavior and keep on slow walking you can stay on the ground without moving and the zombie will turn around and leave you alone on the ground.). So you can hide from them, but if you are to obvious, other players will see the zombie surronded tree and know you are there. With this tricks, zombies get more and more easy to overcome(you can eaven fire out of a tree or bush and they wont be able to find or hit you). Or run around cherno getting attention of all Zombies in town, then simply run in an building using the stancechange for lower visibility and hide from all of them.

• Like 1

It's December, standalone is closer and closer! :] Even if it IS pushed back, we're still so close!

It's December, standalone is closer and closer! :] Even if it IS pushed back, we're still so close!

you are beautiful B) , off topic :D Follow me Released December 21 :thumbsup:

You're missing the point. We're not implying there should be, as you say, 150K zombies in the woods, but that there should be zombies. As it stands right now the woods are a safe haven from zombies(none spawn there at all), but this is a zombie apocalypse; nowhere is safe.

• Like 3

You're missing the point. We're not implying there should be, as you say, 150K zombies in the woods, but that there should be zombies. As it stands right now the woods are a safe haven from zombies(none spawn there at all), but this is a zombie apocalypse; nowhere is safe.

I totally agree.

I think a mechanic should be implemented that the more gunfire there is, the more Z's get involved. Like a bandit/survivor shoot-out should result in a randomized HORDE of Z's. I'm not saying EVERY TIME there's a firefight, however the frequency should increase the closer you get to a town.

A sniper on a hill-top shouldn't get free reign to just pop off rounds at-will. That would just continue to go down the death-match paradigm. if a sniper takes a shot, it should come with the caveat that he may just have called a (few) Z('s) to his/her location. This increases the need for Operational Awareness, and could actually increase the need for teamwork... i.e. the need for spotter(s) to assist the sniper in keeping zombies off him. Or the need to switch locations after popping off a few rounds to prevent Z's from over-running the team.

Maybe a Zombie spawn radius around a town. Within 1km of the city border, a rifle shot has a 40% chance to spawn a zombie that will start running to the shooter's last known location (i.e. where the noise came from). Within 2km, 15% and zombies just walk to the last known location. Three km's maybe 5% or lower walking to last known location. Something like that anyways.

• Like 8

[...]as for APB , every car handle through the server , you have to compensate for it when you want to turn , break or accelerate , its really annoying when lag kicks in

Lag would make it annoying whatever way they handle it (in ArmA 2, vehicles are local to the driver; try hitting a fast moving, teleporting vehicle with an RPG).

[...]give us the debugg monitor option back, or show us how much health we have by numbers in the blood meter, and kills and etc some how on the side of the screen or give up the option to add it or not have it on the screen. When you run low on food or water you lose blood and can't see it till your really low[...]

Next patch will have icons like these - great improvement, right?

source

guiinfo-v3.jpg

Ok so I just went through all 19 pages... What surprises me the most, is everyone is hardcore focused on hats, player classes, and which distribution company we should use.

Why is there little to no focus on the zombies... This is supposed to be a zombie game.

This is a popular misconception of the game. The primary focus of this game is not about zombies, but it is just an element / setting of the game... The primary focus of this game is about the survival aspect. Rocket has already stated that as far as Zombies he just wants to get them "acting" right, and then return his focus back to the survival aspects of the game.

There are interviews, just google Rocket Q&A interview and you can see for yourself.

Not saying you won't see some of the things you suggested, which have been suggested by multiple threads. I just wanted to touch on the fact that the main focus of this game is not the Zombies, it's just people see "zombies" and think that's all it's about.

Edited by Dreygar
  • Like 2

Lag would make it annoying whatever way they handle it (in ArmA 2, vehicles are local to the driver; try hitting a fast moving, teleporting vehicle with an RPG).

Next patch will have icons like these - great improvement, right?

source

guiinfo-v3.jpg

Nice, but what that "Legend" means?

It shows all the values that can have the meters (blood, food, drink, etc) from 100% to 0%.

Edited by Guisho
  • Like 1

It's just showing how the icons will fade from green (full) to black (empty)

They look really nice but I feel like there needs to be more distinction between completely empty and the one directly to the left of it, for the food and water at least, the blood and temp ones are distinct enough though. Good Show!

Other then the usual complaints about Steam that everyone's heard a million times before,

The big problem I have with having to use Steam for DayZ is that I'll be forced to install it on my SSD because the RV engine

performs 100x better on one but I don't need an SSD for the very few Steam games that I have.

I use a standard HD for regular games that don't have issues with texture popping, LOD switching...etc on the slower drives.

My precious SSD space is reserved exclusively for games like Arma 2, Take On Helicopters, Crysis 1 and others that stream

a large amount of data off the drive.

Far as I know, with Steam it's all or nothing, yes you can change the location of the games but they all got to go to the new location.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

You are wrong you have been able to change it manually for every game for ages, and now adays there is an option inside steam to place specific anr/or new games in different folders / hdd's

You are wrong you have been able to change it manually for every game for ages, and now adays there is an option inside steam to place specific anr/or new games in different folders / hdd's

Wrong. People have been using Workarounds for ages. it wasn't until the latest BETA that they allowed you select which drive/partition you install to and thats not available for all games yet because

they have to be converted to the new system.

Wrong. People have been using Workarounds for ages. it wasn't until the latest BETA that they allowed you select which drive/partition you install to and thats not available for all games yet because

they have to be converted to the new system.

Well by "manually" I do mean the workarounds and yes I know that the settings inside steam are very new :) just saying they actually exist.

it wont be out till febuary or march next year so people stop getting your hopes up for this month or next

Oh, so rocket has told you personally? Ill put my Beans on it being out next week ;-)

Edited by Audio Rejectz
  • Like 1

Oh, so rocket has told you personally? Ill put my Beans on it being out next week ;-)

It wont and dont expect update on progress too. I dont know who is spreading this hoax with "news this week".

It wont and dont expect update on progress too. I dont know who is spreading this hoax with "news this week".

Will be giving everyone an update on DayZ status this week for sure!

I'm not sure what is worse. Announcing announcements of my upcoming announcements. Or not saying anything at all and getting twitter bombed?

The main reason I posted that was because I am literally being swamped with requests for updates. I'm currently transiting from Europe to New Zealand, and anyone who has done that flight knows it's a total pain no matter how you fly. You could be in a Learjet and you're still going to get jet-lagged like crazy.

Ideally the best way would be for me to just discuss everything casually on places like here, but there appears to be quite a bit of anticipation so I suppose outlining the plans and all the dates needs to be done carefully this time so the information is put out there right and not misquoted... I still recall the time I came back from Eurogamer and one news website reported that I said DayZ would be free-to-play... so then all the others say that too... What I actually said was we had LOOKED at free-to-play and said no.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/14qsoh/rocket_says_today_he_hopes_to_have_a_tumblr/c7fu6er

Edited by smasht_AU

everyone is insane if they think it will be out this month or next they are giving us little updates here and there too keep u intreasted thats why u have,nt seen a video of it yet

everyone is insane if they think it will be out this month or next they are giving us little updates here and there too keep u intreasted thats why u have,nt seen a video of it yet

Thee of little faith ;-)

Do you mean "Ye of little faith..." ?

Ye has never been used in English language, it's actually a creation of the movie industry. So no, thee is correct here :)