rocket

New Dev Blog Report: November 2012

This is not the Elder Scrolls Online...skill and perktrees...what else??...safe zones and npc traders ?? for f...s sake this should not be the sims featuring a few zombies...the player should be on the run all the time..desperately trying to find a can of pet food..a few bullets, new batteries, some fuel or a safe place to create a fireplace..always hunted by herds of really deangerous infected...hungry, cold and paranoid.....find out on your own how to survive...how to craft and repair things...how to avoid zombies..how to find the safest routes...how to loot a building..how to fight a sniper..etc etc...starting as a bambi and becoming a pro by playing the game not by advancing through a skill and perk system...

just my two cents of course :)

• Like 3

Weee, seams like i hit a nerve with that one.

First and for all, i did not whant to offend anyone, sorry if it sounded like that. We all got our hopes for this game, time will show what will come. I do play DayZ now for about three mounths, never played Arma but I played Operation Flashpoint befor.^^ Thanks for pointing that one out :)

Second: My idea of the skillsystem had no impact on the PvP or lootingtable as it is, in fact the system takes only inplanted parameters. I will explian again:

When you spwan a new charakter you will have the opinion to choose from several classes (Backgrounds). Like bevor the apocalypse you where an Doctor of Medicin, you are the only one that can give epipens, morphium and bloodtransfusions. You where an Mechanican, so you know how to fix engine parts and Fuelparts. Or you where an soldier (only Background with not implanted feature ingame) you can maintance weapons, while others cant bring them back to work again, after they jamed. (I dont whant to change the game really, but something must be done to get people beeing more social and cooperativ, thats the reason for my other post, with the Stammina you got to refill by explecit resting to.)

I think other ideas are not bad eighter, but some would have to much impact on the overall gamestyle, i think.

Thanks anyhow for sharing your thougths and ideas.

• Like 1

Weee, seams like i hit a nerve with that one.

First and for all, i did not whant to offend anyone, sorry if it sounded like that. We all got our hopes for this game, time will show what will come. I do play DayZ now for about three mounths, never played Arma but I played Operation Flashpoint befor.^^ Thanks for pointing that one out :)

Second: My idea of the skillsystem had no impact on the PvP or lootingtable as it is, in fact the system takes only inplanted parameters. I will explian again:

When you spwan a new charakter you will have the opinion to choose from several classes (Backgrounds). Like bevor the apocalypse you where an Doctor of Medicin, you are the only one that can give epipens, morphium and bloodtransfusions. You where an Mechanican, so you know how to fix engine parts and Fuelparts. Or you where an soldier (only Background with not implanted feature ingame) you can maintance weapons, while others cant bring them back to work again, after they jamed. (I dont whant to change the game really, but something must be done to get people beeing more social and cooperativ, thats the reason for my other post, with the Stammina you got to refill by explecit resting to.)

I think other ideas are not bad eighter, but some would have to much impact on the overall gamestyle, i think.

Thanks anyhow for sharing your thougths and ideas.

Many won't go for it because they don't like the idea of not being able to carry out certain actions, although I do understand your reasoning behind it. The system would have to allow people to carry out every action and task, however, characters could be better at certain survival tasks. Maybe allot them with more know how which would give them more options to carry out a single task or allow them to do it more efficiently/successfully.

Edited by Lights Out

big NO to this skill bull****. If ppl dont want to be social and want to kill you they can. Dont put ***t in this game that FORCE you to do something you dont want. As someone said before, you can do game mechanics that depends on real skill not some ingame choose this and suddenly i know how to this.. (navigating stars, medical system etc).

If you want skills, safe zones and other stupidity warz is this way ---->

I'm strongly against this whole 'skills' notion.

What if all depends on the player? Not on some artificial system of skills and 'experience'. Let's say someone would like to be a good medic, well, then the player should have to practice it, heal people and learn from it. What if there was a complicated wounding system? This would require the player to have extensive knowledge about wounds, the severity and the correct treatment. Make it so that the player has to inspect the patient's body for injuries and apply the right treatment.

Let's take a bullet wound for instance. The medic would inspect the wound, see if the bullet is still in there and needs to be removed or not, perhaps check if anything vital was damaged. He would then have to decide the right treatment. Treating the wound badly would end in the patient not getting better or worse. Of course all of this would be visually presented so no text hints, this will require the medic to have actual experience at healing people, not some magic ingame 'skill'.

The same method could be used for fixing vehicles.

i love the americas army healing system.

would love to see it in dayZ ;)

if you have the time please watch all 3 videos.

have fun watching =)

Edited by siew

Some sort of skill should be implemented like learn from books(fallout exsample) and gain experience tough doing... no stupid classes or anything, everything should be open for everyone so you could do what you want. No spesific equipment for spesific people, everything is possible to do as you want. And no skills that you can magically learn when you reach certain experience...

But it is a fact that something has to be done to increase the value of character life, not just the items.

Edited by Zeppa

big NO to this skill bull****. If ppl dont want to be social and want to kill you they can. Dont put ***t in this game that FORCE you to do something you dont want. As someone said before, you can do game mechanics that depends on real skill not some ingame choose this and suddenly i know how to this.. (navigating stars, medical system etc).

If you want skills, safe zones and other stupidity warz is this way ---->

That was a cool story bro, I've never heard that War Z joke before, genius!

I'm neither for nor against skills (if done correctly and passively, I wouldn't mind it) and even I have a better understanding of people's point. First off no one said anything about safe zones so stop trying to invalidate a person's point by mentioning an idea no one ever stated.

Two, besides maybe one person, no one's suggestion would force you to play a certain way. It simply gives an incentive to team up, differentiates characters, and puts more worth in your character aside from what is in your pack. This incentive is completely valid because in a real zombie apocalypse, more often than not, people in a group setting have a better chance of surviving in most cases as long as your group doesn't have a bunch of people who are dead weight(aside from the fact that there's more mouths to feed and such; that would obviously be a con).

Edited by Lights Out
  • Like 3

i love the americas army healing system.

would love to see it in dayZ ;)

if you have the time please watch all 3 videos.

have fun watching =)

I've never seen this before but it looks amazing. Would love to see that in dayz.

• Like 2

I've never seen this before but it looks amazing. Would love to see that in dayz.

in my opinion its the best combat healing system ive ever seen.

try to imagine you find a unconscious guy, he cant talk and also he cant write in global chat as long as he is unconscious.

applying smelling salts to regain consciousness. now he can tell you what happened.

now by his story you can decide too let him die or continue helping him.

applying a splint to get him to a safe place to continue the medication.

this is just one example for the possibilities.

I also know that I don't like to be pigeon holed into a profession, like in WoW for instance, and liking this game to wow(other then network architecture) really bothers me. Maybe I'm just prejudiced.

Well that would pretty much point to that people would prefer to have their cake and eat it too...People seem to want realism, yet want to be able to do whatever they want, which isn't very realistic?

I think limitations are good. In this particular case, however implemented, classes would be beneficial for team play purposes. Skill trees and adding/removing points... I'd prefer it to be passive vs an active system where the player decides. Then you fall into the min-maxing paradigm, which in my opinion removes the whole role playing aspect.

As far as WoW... I've never played WoW so I can't comment. I guess you might be referring to the whole fighter, cleric, mage thing? Again... goes back to having your cake and eating it too. That's called min-maxing and everyone wants the best of both worlds.

To put it in Newtonian terms, for every action has to be an opposite reaction. Players can't just be these John McLane/McGuyver/Doogie Howser runabouts, fixing cars, healing people, flying planes and choppers and shooting people. There should be a drawback of some kind. At least that's my thoughts on those wanting realism.

Edited by sniperdoc

in my opinion its the best combat healing system ive ever seen.

The complexitiy seems cool but I didn't see a single animation for any action taken, all I saw was a green bar filling up. If they actually added animations onto that, it'd be great.

To put it in Newtonian terms, for every action has to be an opposite reaction. Players can't just be these John McLane/McGuyver/Doogie Howser runabouts, fixing cars, healing people, flying planes and choppers and shooting people. There should be a drawback of some kind. At least that's my thoughts on those wanting realism.

To say it in Einsteins terms... everything is relative? Sure I want the gaming enviroment to be somewhat realistic but do I want travelling from one end of the map to the other to take me half a day? Uhm.. let me think on that.... no I don't. It's a game and I don't want to be forced to only be able to do one specific thing and I certainly don't want to be able to only do things I can do in real life because I'm not an athlete.

Things should be more complex, harder to do but you shouldn't be prevented from doing them just because you didn't choose the right skill set when you made your character. Skills are simply the wrong way to go about it. It's so often used in games because it's an easy and cheap way to force teamplay.

Edited by James Ashwood
  • Like 1

I don't have any experience with how fast VAC is, but several weeks is too slow for my tastes. I think it ought to be linked to the adoption rate of the hack in some fashion.

What makes you think that? I haven't played APB, by the way, so please go into more detail.

It does not matter how long VAC will take to ban these cheaters , they will use their own Anti Cheat system along with it .

as for APB , every car handle through the server , you have to compensate for it when you want to turn , break or accelerate , its really annoying when lag kicks in

The complexitiy seems cool but I didn't see a single animation for any action taken, all I saw was a green bar filling up. If they actually added animations onto that, it'd be great.

i just wanted to show the mechanics. animation is another thing.

i never wanted the dayz devs to remove the actual (fumble) animation^^

also it dont have to be the exact same system. like you said, the complexitiy is nice.

and the relation between injuries, symptoms and their treatment is just awesome.

i hope something like that will be implemented in the future.

It's a game, to do some thing you need to learn from it, I would love a med system which shows and educates the player. A player will have to actually see the events and follow through all the way in order to "know" the skill or trait. Too much reality on top of unrealistic always running, for eg, is beating the point.

Fallout had side games, you could implement some side games to learn how to do something, that way your character could better themselves in certain areas. This type could be available to all players whether they want it or not. The more you do something in game the better you become at it, ts a normal learning curve, just adapt it to special roles, medics, mechanics, snipers, field craft.

Let it be a great game and not too real, because you can never be real enough!

• Like 1

It's a game, to do some thing you need to learn from it, I would love a med system which shows and educates the player. A player will have to actually see the events and follow through all the way in order to "know" the skill or trait. Too much reality on top of unrealistic always running, for eg, is beating the point.

Fallout had side games, you could implement some side games to learn how to do something, that way your character could better themselves in certain areas. This type could be available to all players whether they want it or not. The more you do something in game the better you become at it, ts a normal learning curve, just adapt it to special roles, medics, mechanics, snipers, field craft.

Let it be a great game and not too real, because you can never be real enough!

They definitely need to take the endless running out of the game. This is one of the big reasons why the infected don't pose a threat. You can always out run them until they glitch on something.

• Like 2

It does not matter how long VAC will take to ban these cheaters , they will use their own Anti Cheat system along with it .

Source?

as for APB , every car handle through the server , you have to compensate for it when you want to turn , break or accelerate , its really annoying when lag kicks in

True story, that's why a lot of things in a rather fast-paced game like this simply can't be server-sided. A good engine isn't worth much without a proper anti-cheat engine - that's like saying Call of Duty or Battlefield are hacker-free because they have a server-client model. Edited by Nik21

Steam... Not bad, but not PayPal only, as my country doesn't support it ATM. I also suggest you to use "xsolla (.com)", so almost everyone around the world could buy it.

*Sits down at desk to write a letter to Rocket, rather then Santa*

Dear Rocket, my steam is broke. I log in, once a day... I click store... I do a DayZ search - waiting for DayZ standalone to pop up... instead, it takes me to a game I've owned for a long time... Arma II. Could you please direct me to the correct location, or perhaps method to solve this problem? Thats all I want by Xmas... or slightly before the end of the world so I can enjoy my last few days alive in a digital world...?

Love

FinKone.

.... Just busting your balls. Last I heard (posted some time around the 26th of Nov was that a week long evaluation was being conducted to determine if the standalone was going to be released this year... and if anything I'm at my boiling point for news, even if its bad news - along with everyone else I'm sure. Yes, I check the blogs and so forth in relation to DayZ... I'm just trying to see if that hard exterior shell of Rocket can be cracked up just a bit... for his loyal followers.

I don't think the issue is so much steam as that we are forcing people to use a mechanism to utilize the game. This is irritating for any consumer. I did NOT like having to register a windows live account just to play Red Faction: Whatever, and I had a great deal of trouble getting it working especially when offline. So I can understand this, the problem is:

To play DayZ you must use <insert digital store here>

Regardless of what digital store it is, if you aren't currently using that store it is going to be a pain in the arse. My hope here, is to demonstrate we didn't make this decision because we're lazy, we have shares in Steam, or I am on GabeN's Christmas Card list, we made the decision because it best supports our development pipeline and allows us to focus on making the game. Fact of the matter is, from my perspective, my contacts at Steam pretty much have said "tell us what you need to make this game" and we said "this, this and this". And here they are. No marketing rubbish, product store placements, discussions of exclusivity.

In my opinion, you shouldn't need to be apologizing for this choice.

Steam has actually been significantly improved over the years, and some people just don't want to accept something they hated so much years ago. It is very true that people really had a hard time, myself included, with the program long ago... but since then, you can really tell it's come a long way. As you stated before, this will really help DayZ and I think you'll find a home for DayZ with Valve. They should be a good backbone to really launch your game, and make sure you can just remain focused on making customers happy with content and routine patches, which no one has to complain about not being able to install properly.

After the fact that many of these gamers figure out it's not so bad after all, I believe people will grow to accept the fact that DayZ is pretty exclusive to Steam. At this moment, others are just groaning at the fact that they figure they'll run into all these issues with Valve's program or way of distribution... but I find Steam is way more convenient, and will prove to really help you reach out to those whom have not even heard of your game yet (oddly enough.)

I am sure many were put off by the fact that it had been a mod, and didn't want to go through the hassle of installing it on their computer after buying ARMA. So this will really set your game off- I believe sales will blow those of the mod (or ARMA2) away in the long run for obvious reasons.

By the way, buy me a Ferrari F40 when you strike it big, will you?

• Like 3

I know the hearing impaired option won't be in the initial release, not sure about a colour blind mode. They are both a priority though.

http://www.reddit.co...al_dots/c78j325

Thank you. As I don't like Reddit, Facebook and similar sites, I tend to not use them, thus missing out on information such as this.

Still no info regarding the usage of Linux servers?

will the female have other clothes? and can change clothes too? thats all i want to know.

Rocket confirmed females can change clothes, and he said females and males can wear the same clothes.

now something completely different....ever noticed that steam is doing a lot for the indie game and modding community...I am sure a living modding community will be the future of DayZ at some point and this is reason enough to choose it (steam) as a platform....

cheers

Edited by Private Evans

That AA medical clip,

Thats just like in arma now?

Just a line of text "bandage wounds", then you could use "study body" to get that "shallow breathing" for symptoms...

Dont know what kind of stuff rocket has planned... but anyway that just reshaped arma2 menu system. Something more innovative for aplying stuff than just menus would be nice.