Daytime at Berezino, my first time so far north. I'm in a Russian server so the locals are unfamilliar to me, as a bandit I wonder "how do these players react to seeing a bandit?". I figure there's a good chance I'm alone here. I've gotten quite thirsty from travelling and I'm all out of drinks, scurrying around town I locate a market. Apart from an Alice backpack there's nothing there for me, bummer. I head back in town, realising that I'm near the only hospital in apart from the ones at noobcoast I decide to loot it despite feeling a little pressured for time by my thirst. At the hospital I'm faced with a problem, I don't have a weapon capable of breaking the glass, luckily I remember that sometimes there's med boxes on top of the hospital. I loot one on top of the hospital, 5 blood bags! Great! As I finish looting I level my view again, suddenly a survivor armed with a sniper rifle standing at two o' clock on the very same roof. Scare of my life. He's not moving, I realise he's in the process of spawning. I get behind him, I'm panicking a little. I vowed to die before losing more humanity and I have no idea how this guy will react or if he even speaks English. I think about pranking him and open his Alice bag, I see two cokes pop up, take them and close the bag. He moves a little and go into prone position. I still don't have a clue what to do aiming at his head I briefly consider taking the shot, I see him slowly turning around and I Alt F4 the hell out of there.

I despise people who abuse server mechanics like DC and server hopping for loot. I've never done it before, this one time I think I can forgive myself.

Alright, this is my story.

First of, this game is pure emotion. Since day 1 of my life in Chernarus, i've always been the friendly guy. Most of the time i traveled to the north, exploring and looting towns. When i heard gunshots i always asked who is there and whether help is needed. On my journeys i've met a lot of people, exchanging supplies and sometimes banding up with them.

On numerous occasions i wasn't aware that there was someone else scavenging the place. Sometimes we carefully looked at each other and went our ways without speaking a word. Sometimes i had to shoot and kill someone because he obviosly sneaked up on me.

But after lots of people came to Chernarus, life changed.

I can't count anymore how often i've been shot on sight, even by non-bandits. Sometimes without even seeing my killer.

I've gone mad, really mad. I've wanted revenge.

So i got lots of food, soda and a trusty CZ.

I've made my way to the outskirts of Cherno, getting in position to kill some people. Bandit or survivor, it didn't matter.

Then, after waiting some time and trying to locate all the gunshots in the city, my first target appeared. A survivor. A survivor with a makarov and a group of zombies on his ass.

Finally, i thought.

Finally i can spice this game up a little.

Finally i got a target in my sight.

Finally i can get REVENGE.

*BANG*

Fffffff. My shot missed.

Alright, breath in and aim one more time.

Suddenly someone writes in global:

"Cease fire! I'm friendly!"

I put my finger away from the mouse button. Now that guy i just tried to kill has a name. And a personality.

I now feel guilty. "F**k, he is bagging for his life" i think. I remember myself being fired upon and fearing for my life. I really felt that it was wrong.

F*ck it. The guilt is overwhelming, disregarding my own safety i tell him to walk south, where i'm hiding at and that i won't shoot again.

Then suddenly another *BANG*. This time it wasn't me. Again he pleads for mercy. And another shot.

I see him. He's dead. Lying on the ground. Blood is pouring out of him.

I didn't know what to do. I searched the treeline through my scope for the shooter. Nothing. Then i look back at his corpse.

Now there's a bandit. Looting this guy i just tried to kill.

Then i realized. That's what i want. REVENGE. Killing those merciless people, feasting on the blood of innocent.

*BANG*

A single shot. Right into his head.

I've killed him. I was confused at first what has happened, what i've done. But then i realized i've killed the kind of person i was looking for. I've never felt this kind of statisfaction ever before in any game.

A few moments ago i nearly became what i despise the most.

Such is life in Chernarus.

Edit: The backpack next to this guys body is the dead bandit.

• Like 3

My first round ever of DayZ.

I find myself at the beach. OK, what is this? Zombicapolypse, survived...damn straight. It is night. About midnight. Everything dark, can't see shit. I check my emergency gear. Pistol, 40 rounds, Flares, water and food for a day. Alright, need to find other survivers. Followed the road to a town, carefully checked it out, when suddenly a Zombie is right in front of me. I look at him, he is moving slow. Then he starts sprinting towards me. I know I probably wont hit him like that. He reached me, I pop a few bullets and he falls. Others attracted. Fuckers! Everywhere! Then 3 at once. I drop 2, mag empty, I start running, loosing a lot of bload. Looking over my shoulder whilst running away, that guy and another one is getting closer. Im bleeding heavily. I reload while running, turn around and blow em away. Another one. Wait. Hes not a zombie. Thats gary, another survivor. I was just checking some stash of beans I found, offered to share. He said he didn't need anything, but we should stick togeter. Damn right we should. We carefully clear that town together, wich makes things way easier. We decide to check the next town for more survivors, and stick to the railroad. A shot went off. Sounds close. I stand still for a second, thinking about what just happened. Another shot. Someones shooting at us! I am not hit. I take a look at Gary, tell him to take cover and run to the next tree. There I peak around, trying to spot the agressor. He shoots again, I see his muzzle smoke. "There he is gary! Drop him!" Taking a look over to where Gary was 1 second before...in the blink of an eye I realized he is dead. I am flushed by adrenaline and anger, line up my Makarov and shoot at that guy, only 10 to 15 metres away. He starts running. I shoot his back. Another magazine. And another. I carefully aimed each shot, but this Makarov didn't seem to be the most accurate of weapons. Still angry I run up to the forest following that Bandit sniper. I will kill him.

Eventually I lost track of him, went a huge circle in that forest and came out at the other end of the village we had just left. I stay to the forest line, maybe that guy tries the same tactic again. And there he is. Picking on survivors. Luckily, I am behind him.

I don't want to waste time crawling up, he could turn around any second after all, but this time I wont leave a chance to luck. I walk up to him in a manner I can only describe as decidedly, and when I am right behind him, I execute him. There you go, bastard. That's for Gary. I tell the other survivors that I killed him, so they dont mistake me for him when they approach this position. I take all his stuff. Pretty nice survival gear. Compass, Map, Knife, Hunting Shotgun, Revolver.

I go back to the village where suddenly another bandit stands next to me an opens fire. I line up my rifle, shoot at him, then run to the next possible cover. A house. Is he dead? I circle it, walking up to his position. He bled out. Bastard. I start thinking. All this good gear...people might get jealous - with that though I ran up into the dark forest. After some time, I stop panicking and decide to take a look at my map. I make out where I am, there another village, away from the shore. Tulga. I make way for it. With my new gear I slowly take on Pusta, dropping some zombies, studying their behaviour. After shooting a zombie I turn around and see a bandit's silhouette lying on the ground behind a barricade, aiming at me. I take an instinctive shot and dash to cover. After some lurking about (hes gone) I decide he could be flanking me and make a run to the edge of the forest. I hear someone mourning. He said he is close to bleeding out. Thats the guy, hes out of supplies. I tell him that I will help him, if he leaves me alone. In the cover of the forest, I take off my backpack just to have it safe in case its a trap. But whats that. Right on the other side of the tree lies the guy I shot. Wheres my backpack? Gone! I pop a revolver bullet in his head. He stole my backpack. I check his corpse. No he didn't. The BP just glitched out of existence after I took it off. So I killed that guy without a reason...fuck all this, man. I decide to go further inland, and I become adept at killing zombies. Msta, Staroye, Guglovo. I check every barn, they seem to be very promising. I find a biggger backpack, and organize all my survival gear. I am getting really good at this. Just need to head further inland. And ammo I need, especially after losing my first backpack. So i scour what I can, most towns didnt have more than 3 to 5 zombies in them. I arrive at Novy Sobor. A barn on the edge of town. I scope it out with my CZ550, and decide its clear. I sneak up in the cover of the forest, getting in, killing zombies, grabbing what I can just like before. Only 2 shots left for my Revolver, wich I mainly use for common zombies, and 12 rounds for my CZ. All right, I see a church in Novy Sobor, probably gonna find something there, just need to take care of the zombies. 14 I can kill tops, should more than suffice. I walk up to the T-crossing in front of the church. Zombies. Dropping 2. Revolver empty, CZ550 now. Bam. Dropping one. I only used it from a good distance yet. Now that I was standing inside a town, I realized how loud this thing was. The secound that thought crossed my mind a horde of zombies came from all sides of the T-crossing. Starting to drop 'em. That was when I realized one thing. My ammo is not gonna be enough. I keep killing them until I am out of ammo. I killed 14 more zombies, with 14 more bullets. I run, but I am too exhausted. Finally, they kill me. I forgot to keep one spare bullet for myself, was my last thought.

My first round, 6 hours of playtime, 50 zombies killed and 3 bandits. Was really intense, movielike. Awesome!

• Like 1

Me and 2 mates decide to try and reccy devils castle on the way there we spot a barn with two zombies thanks to being on a Chicago server and all being UK based I accidently cap one of my friends in the head (how though I dunno he was crouched I was standing) I try to get his gear and drop my alice pack with blood, chem lights the lot basically and the thing glitches so I lose it all and his. (didn't go a bandit just)

We all disconnect to try and find a lower ping server.

About half an hour later we are again still US based but manage to trek and meet our friend outside elektro and give him the must haves (map, compass etc that we scavenged on the way south) then come across 2 others who we have a tense 10 minute trek upto mogilevka (i think though it might not be) with then split. (normal humanity now if you're following)

Once in the town we hear shooting and chatter of a bandit so we're already on edge I see a guy sprinting can't see his name to identify if he's one of the guys we were with a few mins ago I cap him too and again just survive not going bandit.

Unfortunately I discovered a short time later it was one of the guys we tense trek up with and again felt like a right dick.

It then gets pitch black for 2 of us and we have another friend join who just picked it up today (making 4) but since he's new and 1 of us recently died they both have some light left whereas me and the other are pitch black.

With 2 with no light and the other 2 about to lose it one of the latter we have to trek to, to give him gear etc since he's new is clear across the map.

In the ended we decided to all find the nearest treeline (wherever we might be) and call it night but holycrap it was tense, happy and sad all in one.

Hope this makes sense it's kinda late here so apologies.

• Like 1

I have a couple of videos in a series 5 parts trying to raid the east airfield

as of this post part 1,2 and 3 are up 4 and 5 to come soon

Spawn in the residence in cherno on the highest floor in the room where it was pitch black. I was there looking for a tent, when i suddenly heard footsteeps from the stairs. Im cornerd and soon dead. The panic in me was outragesly high. So i camped and leaned out, holding my M16A1 at steady aim on the doorframe. Could barely see the moonlight reflecting on the wall. These guys had clearly heard something, cause there movement was silent realy silent now. Suddenly there was a small out of place shadow in the reflection of the moonlight. Almost got a stroke when i heard the M16A1 go off.

*BRAAAAAAP*

XXXX was killed

A whole clip was released into the darkness. I was alive. Moved silently to the dead body to look at the loot he had. When i suddenly heard another footstep. I was like whata hell, he had a friend. Awh shit this guy is camping me now. Hes blocking my escape. I was going all in on this. Cause i knew this guy was scared as hell like i was, and was probably shitting hes pants. So i pushed C and rushed true the corridor, and i saw a glinch of a guy aim into the corridor. Pulled up my weapon walked up and blasted a magazine will i was straffing true the door. Out of ammo, took out my pistol and straffed in with a lean and started to fire off, it was a mexican stand off at this point. He got a hit on me that grayed me out and another hit. Shit im dead when the second hit came, the enemy falled to the ground and i was alive with less then 3000 blood, and was bleeding badly, but i survived.

I cant imagine their situation in that moment.

Here comes a nice story

I was meeting up with my mates on teamspeak and we decided to go out on some adventure. They all were together but I still had to spawn after my last encounter, where I died

I spawned in Three Valleys (southeast of the map). I looked on the global map where I was. I headed out to the sea and went south, along the sea. I heard my mates were at Prigorodky (northeast of Chernogorsk). We decided to meet up at Pusta. When I was finally there, after 20 minutes of walking, my mates were already there. We were with 7 now.

Another mate decided to join in. He was still at Prigorodky, so we had to go back. While walking down I heard they had killed 3 bandits there before. They were very proud of themselves and all. When we arrived there, we heard that our mate was shot wounded during loading the game. We heard it pretty late and after we came out of the woods to the northeast, 3 bandits started shooting us. 3 of us died and me and a mate were still alive. We managed to get 2 down, but then ran to cover to heal up. We heard 2 were leaving and so we were left with 5.

While we were healing another mate turned up again. We decided to hunt down the last bandit. I looted his AKM. We went back to Pusta, where we met up with 4 players again. One had to leave. While we were waiting, another random guy turned up. We decided to trust him, but we kept an eye on him.

Our main goal was to head to the airfield. We knew this was going to take long. We already were playing for 1.5 hours and we still had atleast 3 hours to go. We stuck to the roads, looting nearly every village, slaughtering animals for food. Eventually, after a long walk, we found the airport.

We came to the left side of the airport, we decided to thread carefully. 3 of us, including me, decided to search the houses to the west of the strip, the other 2 went on the strip already. We were pretty silent, and we only saw 2 zombies. After we shot both of them, a huge horde of atleast 8 zombies ran out of the houses. We ran for our lives, to our mates, eventually turning around to kill one.

We went for the radio tower. When we were 50 meters away from the tower, the server crashed. That time we were on an American server, so everything was still day. We decided to join a european server, making it pitch black. This was also a hardcore server, meaning it was a bit harder, and we couldnt see names or anything.

We had lost our random guy. He wasnt saying much on teamspeak at all, so we thought he just quit. We threw some flares and headed inside the radio tower. While we were looting, we suddenly heard a gun shot that sounded like an AK. I was the only one with the AK and I didnt shoot. We all freaked out, extinquishing what we could. We heard someone come up the radio tower. It was our mate.

We were relieved and thought it was just him shooting. Implying he wasnt saying much, we just considered it was like that. We went outside, throwing more flares all happily, preparing for all the awesome loot we were going to find. While we were at the second hangar, we heard shots. 2 mates died, I was wounded. We headed inside the hangar and hid there.

I was freaking out, bleeding to death slowly. I shouted for someone to bandage me, but I couldn't see anybody. I was hugging the entrance wall on the right side of the hangar. I was staring at the strip all the time. The flares faded out, it was pitch dark. After 2 or so minutes I started to move a bit, I crouched and moved 1 meter forward. Then suddenly out of nothingness, out of the point I had been staring for 2 minutes along. A muzzle flash appeared, this was the last thing I saw.

One of my mates was still alive. He decided to sneak around the hangar, suprisingly unnoticed. He saw the one guy. Just as he was throwing a grenade, he shot him dead, dropping the grenade on the floor. The grenade blew up in his fade.

I didn't know what happened to my last mate.

Cool story eh?

So we've been at it all day. Me and my friend have moved from town to town, village to village. Both having died the night before (first night on the mod) we began today seperated as new survivors only our basic gear on us and we were alone. After doing our best to co-ordinate our locations to each other we finally rendezvoused at a hospital in a town we did not know the name of.

We spend the whole day grabbing loot and killing zombies, we broke into a hospital took epipens, bloodpacks and extra painkillers we was a walking gold mine, so we continued on. We came to a town and decided to search the apartment buildings, we see in the chat that the server is being restarted so we leave and get ready to join back in, then it happened ..... nightfall.

Pitch black i stand at the top of a stairwell with the dingy light of my chem light barley lighting up the room. I chuck a flare down the stairs and the building lights up like a Christmas tree so we decide to get out before we attract attention. Using the light from the flashlight my friend picked up previously we make our way up the road and into the forest.

We climb the hill looking for open ground to lay a fire place and cook some raw meat we had in our bags. We find a nice flat spot and get cooking, i see smoke over the hill just in front of us and tell my friend to put the fire out. Laying low we go to see the source of the smoke, it turned out to be a downed chopper so we go to investigate and hopefully loot some army body's that may lay near it. We arrive to find nothing but the remains of the ablaze helicopter however not being able to see that its on fire (he says it was just normal on his screen, probably a color bug) my friend gets in the gunner seat and instantly dies.

Devastated after loosing what must have been about 5-6 hours of looted goods he spawns back in near the shore so i run for what must have been 25 mins in pitch black darkness towards the shore and hopefully meet him along the way. I each the shore without trouble and start running along it, flare in hand i'm hoping he'll soon tell me he can see it. After about 15 mins and about 10 flares he says "is that you with the flare?" i drop my flare and begin looking around to see if i can find him. "don't worry the flare i see has two people next to it" disappointed, I go back to my flare to pick it up and .... BANG a shot in the dark and i'm down and a dark figure moves into the light of my flare while i watch the hour glass tick down and my blood drop at a alarmingly fast rate. He sits next to me waiting for me to bleed out, so he gets tired and shoots me while i lay there helplessly and bleed to death.

I had been at Stary Sobor for a while at this point. After waiting for another half hour for a survivor named Charles to join me, we decided the head to Novy to loot the place. We cleared the first building on the outskirts of town easily. The next building, however, had two other survivors sitting outside of it with their guns pointed towards us. The immediately ducked into the building as Charles and I deliberated on how to handle the situation. One of them had crawled into the building we were outside of so I attempted to flank him while leaving Charles as a distraction outside the door. While crouch-running to the door behind the survivor I was shot in the back and killed instantly. The last message I gave Charles was: "Not friendly. Run." Hopefully he got my message in time to make it out alive.

Basicly what you're looking at is the Day Z Reddit Squad [DZRS] Doing a raid to the North western airfield, for this we had fixed up two cars a GAZ Bvolga and a UAZ Jeep. It ended badly with two of us shot dead by a bandit, we then decided to egress to get the cars out of there...

There it was gleaming in its rebuilt glory, the bus. i had been working on it for days, having found it barely capable of movement i drove it slowly down to a small town that i know i can find parts in, make repairs and then i would drive it back to its hiding place, after several days of this back and forth its finally finished.

i call out over the radio to my team mates requesting their locations for pickup. as i drive it out of the wear house that i work my repairs in and turn onto the road i realize that its nighttime, after much discussion over the radio on where everyone is i decide heading to starry sobor is the best rout because it allows for me to pick up almost every one before we head into the NW airfield for a lightning raid.

Picking up fenn i notice a gas station up ahead and decide to refuel while i have the chance. Fenn stats lighting up the valley with flares i yell for him to put them out but he doesn't listen he is to busy using his high power rifle to make sure every zed in the county knows we are here. just as i finish filling the tank the windshield smashes as a bullet passes through it.

i yell to Fenn "BANDITS get in the bus!" he jumps in the back as i jump into the drivers seat taking a few rounds myself as i do so and i slam my foot on the gas. eyes blurring from my injury i never see the concrete barrier a half a mile down the road which totals the front end of the bus.

i decide to try for a moment to try to save the bus but its no good. i decide to call it when the familiar sound of bullets hitting the bus tell me the bandits have caught us. fenn and i run from the bus hoping they will take it and be done with us, i fall less than 10 yards from the bus, i shout to Fenn to come back but he doesn't stop. he makes the tree line when a loud crack and he falls to the ground dead. the bandits are trying to get the bus running, i can hear the engine start and realize they think i'm dead as i slowly reach into my bag and pull out a couple of grenades, thinking "its a shame that bus's next stop is hell." as i throw three grenades into the bus and try to run from the impending explosion. i can hear their screams as the bus explodes and lights up the night, the bus burning like the bandits who were on it. I decide that I will never let someone like that profit from my hard work as I stumble into the night back towards the nearest town hardly able to see.

• Like 1

So last night the Zs came out in force at the NW Field, it was night time and raining like mad off and on.

So im minding my own sneaking around letting the Zs go about there business. By this time I had raided most the buildings and was relaxing up in the control tower wafting out the rain when I see a flare light up in the fire station on the other side of the taxi way and I see a bandit go running in to the building guns blazing. I toss a few flares at the station lighting it up more. Shouting out to him to identify him self he never did. Truthfully I hate bandits that far inland so I was more than happy to give the Zs something to eat. I tossed 1 smoke grenade in to the door way of the firehouse drawing in the Zs from the fields by this time the initial wave of Zs was around 20, by the time he made it to the top of the fire station tower there was at least 30 more Zs poring in thru the doors and swarming up the stares.

I had been preaching all night not to shoot at the NW Field all night. He was the first to make that mistake but not the last 2 more bandits fell to the zerg that night and all I had to do was sit back and watch the show.

I'd been wandering the wilderness for days. It was cold and rainy, I'd eaten well, but rest? Not possible in this situation. My faith in humanity had been shaken to the core last week. Why did it have to go that way?... Making my way through the outskirts slowly calculating every move and watching, scanning endlessly. It never ends. Don't let your guard down, keep your head on a swivel. Didn't dare to start a fire or even a flare at night. The only thing worse than the zeds are other men, or what used to be men now with appetites too unseemly to speak on. I needed shelter, food and rest. Rumors of a Spartan stronghold in the East, I knew these men could be trusted. Hopefully the medical supplies I was packing could buy me a hot meal and a nights rest.

Making my way through the north I spotted a few groups moving through the towns. One of them was overrun, I heard the screams. Why didn't I help them? Could I have done anything? There was a time we'd never have left a man stranded. It used to be our job to head toward the gunfire, now I shyed away from it. There was an airfield nearby, hot spots, lots of fighting for scraps. I'd watched the air field all day and not seen a living soul. Still didn't feel good about going in, but who knows what it will take to buy what I need now. The night was clear, very dark and I knew my plan well, get in and get out. No way anyone could spot me without NVG's.

I approached the airfield from the East, this is the hill any sniper cover would be on I suspect. Didn't stumble on anyone, but would have had to in order to locate them. The darkness is a mixed blessing. Straight up to the control tower, zeds on the runway. I made my way into the building and up the stairs, heard stories of zeds hanging out in stairwells. I cracked a chem light just to be sure, checked for loot in the tower and didn't find much. A frag, smoke and an empty AK. Lets get the heck out of here. I made my way back down the stairs and chills went down my spine. The door was shut, not by me and sure as hell not the wind. Ambush. My mind raced.

Drop the light, creep back up the stairs and crawl as quietly as you can. I saw the glow of another chem light outside by the door. In the shadows I could make out two men, one of them definitely had an assault rifle. Certain polite conversation was not going to happen I planned my escape. I had some mighty treasure in my pack. Treasure... Yeah, this junk is worth a life. Frag. Smoke. Suppress. GO! I pulled the pin on the frag as quietly as possible, 1-2-3-drop. I sprinted down the stairs smoke in hand. BOOM! I kicked open the door, chucked the smoke and saw a man fall towards me. THUMP-THUMP from my shotgun just to be sure. CRACK! RUN! Rifle fire. Why the hell did you come out to this damn airfield!? I ran along the southern wall and cut around the corner hard, clear. Cut left, keep the building between us, get behind those hills. Get past the hangars, RUN. He'd woken up the zeds with that big stick and they were running East. Didn't stop running till I reached the coast. This was the first time I'd taken a mans life since it happened. Two men, all that over what? Just another DayZ.

• Like 3

Hey guys, here's a story involving Alarmedbread and Myself ;)

Few image links, hope it's alright.

Day 1

I regained consciousness near a beach, I could hear the waves. It was dark, and all I could see were the outlines of some silos in the distance. I couldn't remember how I got here, I vaguely recall someone mentioning the words "helicopter" and "crash" the few seconds I must have been conscious previously, along with the vivid image of a huge blaze. I checked the bag I found on me, containing only a couple of cans of beans, some water, flares and a pistol. Someone must have taken care of me and left me out here while I was unconscious, I was happy nothing found me during that time. I ventured forward into the dark compound ahead and started looking for supplies. I threw a flare into a building to see where I was going. While getting out, I saw the faint outline of a man pointing a gun towards me. He yelled "Friend or foe?". "Friend...I guess" I replied. I asked him what was going on, and he briefly described the epidemic and the wretched beings it had produced. He said they called them "Zeds". I knew of zombies before, but I dismissed them as fiction, the stuff of video games and graphic novels. Oh how wrong I was. I heard groans outside the compound. "That's them" He said. He picked up the flare I had laid down and walked towards them. They saw us, started chasing us intent on satisfying their need of nutritious brain. After a brutal fight, the Zeds around us were dead, I was relieved. I checked around to find the man. He had been bitten, laying unconscious on the ground, he had lost a lot of blood. I bandaged him, and managed to get him back on his feet, though he was far from ok.

We kept going, heading to a village he said he'd seen while traveling towards the beach, we would try and secure some supplies. On the way he told me he was a baker in Omaha, and was very fond of meat, he said the Zeds even destroyed his smoker! Sons of bitches... My head was still fuzzy, so when he asked me where I came from, I just replied that I must have been in a chopper crash. Eventually we reached the village, and we found a barn. He was still feeling very poorly, so he asked if I could search it for supplies or weapons. I crawled towards the barn, while a couple of Zeds walked around it. I made my way into the building, and found some drinks, a shotgun and some ammo. I grabbed them and headed for Omaha. To my good fortune, he mentioned that a man had alerted the Zeds around the barn and was fleeing away from the village while they pursued him, close call, I thought. I told him what I found and he asked for the shotgun. Apparently in my hurry to get out, I left it on the ground. I went back to get it, but it was gone. "Someone must have been here" I thought. Though I found a rifle, met up with Omaha and we traveled to the next village.

On the way to the village, Omaha kept passing out every five minutes. Almost like clockwork. Kept complaining that he only saw black and white, and his vision was blurry. At times he went totally blind, so I had to guide him through the forests. We needed to go to a hospital to find some blood for a transfusion for Omaha, but we both decided it would be better if we secured some more ammunition for the journey to the hospital. When we reached the edge of the forest we were in, I found a scrapyard with a small building I thought we should check out. We made our way there, but while we were in the scrapyard, more of the Zeds started showing up. I kept my head down while hoping Omaha was in a safe spot. The building was occupied by a Zed. I found Omaha in the scrapyard when things cooled down, told him about the building and we started making our way out. But on our way out, one of the Zeds must have smelled him, because it rushed towards him, knocking him down and started taking chunks off him. I fired a few rounds at the Zed, but to no avail. The Zed was intent on satisfying its needs. After a few more rounds in the head, the Zed dropped, but it was too late, Omaha was dead. I made my way to the nearest treeline dazed and confused trying to regain my composure. I slowly started falling asleep next to a tree...

Day 9

For the past few days, I did not feel like writing an entry in my journal. It hasn't been long since that day I woke up and met Omaha. His death still weighs somewhat heavily on me. Amidst reanimated rotten cadavers and the mind-numbing regularity with which I have to slay what were previously people with lives and faces, any sense of morality and mental capacity needed to fill in these blank pages has escaped me among the smell of cordite and the reassuring rattle of freshly scavenged cans of food. It has been only a few days since my awakening into this altered world, but if you survive your first 2 or 3 days, you learn fast, very fast. Any tolerance of weakness is denounced as you adopt an almost mathematical approach to survival. Oddly enough, I have befriended my weapon, my hunting rifle, found in a barn not long after I met Omaha. It has served me well so far. And as a man has needs, I named her Jane. She's loud, she watches your every move from afar, and she kicks like a mule when you don't treat her right. She has served me well, she has kept me alive.

A couple of days ago, I was searching through a few villages, securing my daily supplies. Other survivors must have been through a lot of the villages as I found very few items of use, and not a lot of food. After a few hours I ended up on the coast, where I saw a small town. I walked down to the road to start sneaking my way through. The flimsy, weathered sign read "Nizhnoye". At the outskirts of town, I heard shots fired. I ran for cover behind a brick wall and poked my head out to scan the area. After the shots stopped, I made my way towards the source of the noise. I craned my head around a wall surrounding a yard and saw this odd figure. It looked like a Zed! But as I was raising my gun to shoot it, I thought "Hold on... A Zed holding a flashlight? Wearing a Husker cap and holding a gun in its other hand?!" Something wasn't right, its face looked clearly blooded and decaying and it smelled of rotten flesh, but I felt an urge to talk to it, like I try to with most intelligent beings. I faintly said "Hello?". The Zed turned around and looked at me, I froze for a second, until he replied "Well... If it ain't ol' Crash, you left me to die, I should shoot you for that!". I stepped away and raised my gun.

-"Easy now!" he exclaimed. "I was just giving you shit, there was nothing you could do, no harm no foul... I think... Anywho, I'm still alive and well aren't I? Well, sorta...".

-"I was gonna say... I mean, you look just like them, can't you smell that stench coming off you?"

-"You know, even compliments get old when you use them too often, but thanks anyway"

-"I'm just sayin', don't you notice that smell?"

-"To be honest, no, I lost my sense of smell that day at the scrapyard. I think my nose is about half way off my face already, feels pretty weird. Here, give it a poke see if it starts chippin'"

-"Uh, nope, besides, you'll need it so I can tell you apart from the not-so-intelligent man-eating cadavers"

-"Fair enough. Truth is, a few hours after I was attacked by the Zeds at the scrapyard, I woke up with this excruciating headache, covered in blood, but I couldn't feel anything, not even the skin peeling off"

-"I'm surprised you can still talk... and use a gun, let alone a flashlight"

-"Ain't I smart though?"

-"Thank goodness not all of 'em are like you"

-"If they were, at least they'd be lousy shots. When you walk like a penguin that's got one leg wedged between the blades of a combine harvester, chances are you can't shoot the broad side of a barn"

-"True"

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5629/omaha.jpg

After the exchange, we decided to group up again and head north, to procure more supplies. We started combing through villages as we travelled north. After a small scale engagement with some Zeds in one of the villages, there was a somewhat ironic image I still recall. After checking the bodies, one of them was actually an orthodox christian priest. I couldn't help pulling a smirk "Welp...Where's your god at now?"

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9111/armapriest2.jpg

.In another village we even found a couple of cars in a village called Polana. We considered getting them fixed somehow, we it would save us the trouble of having to find new boots soon. But after some time looking for parts around town, it didn’t seem to be worth it and we headed out. As it started getting dark, we realized we were running low on water. We checked the map Omaha found in a house we searched and noticed we were pretty close to a dam. We headed for it to fill our bottles. By the time we reached the damn dam, it was already dark. We started filling our bottles at the lake as quick as we could in order to get to a safe spot as quick as possible, with the epidemic and all, we both feared open areas, as bandits roamed around the area as well. But as Omaha was filling his bottles, he suddenly dropped to the ground like a rock, he looked stone dead. “That’s it, he turned for good” I thought and pulled my gun out to shoot him in the head before he got up. Something was telling me not to though. A few minutes later he woke up. I cautiously made my way towards him. “Are you ok?” I asked. “I think so” he replied. He seemed weird, almost in shock. After a while, he started being able to talk more and started saying he needed blood. Now, I didn’t know if he needed it for a transfusion, or needed to drink it, but I was sure willing to get some for him before he tried to take mine!

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/1406/nighta.jpg

The next day, he kept asking for blood, so we decided we’d head to a town I had heard from passing survivors called Elektrozavodsk, Elektro for short. They said it had a hospital – from which we would try and grab some blood bags and other medical supplies - and the whole town still had fairly plentiful supplies as it had been totally abandoned after most of the area was already infested with the Zeds, so not a whole lot of people rushing out could disappear with everything they owned. But the other survivors also mentioned groups of bandits crawling in the area. They had learned how to live there despite the Zeds, and were either robbing other survivors or just shooting them on sight. I had learned to bravely run away from danger, and In part it was what had kept me alive. So entering a Zed infested town with Bandits in order to find blood bags for a blood-thirsty gun-and-torch-wielding cadaver was an idea which made the “Bravely run away”-o-meter hit the Sir Robin level. Nevertheless, the fear of being mauled outweighed the fear of calamity and we started making our way towards Elektro. By sunrise, we reached the coast, on the hills overlooking Elektro. Omaha spotted a power station on the outskirts of town, and since it would be a great first target relatively out of harm’s way, we went for it. I stayed on a hill overlooking the power station, keeping a lookout with Jane as Omaha made his way down there. He searched the building, and after a little while I saw him make his way out again. I had observed the place and told him the Zeds around were a safe distance away from the station so we assumed the exit would be uneventful. But as he made his way out of the south entrance, he ran into trouble in the form of a Zed hiding behind a wall. One would assume they would ignore him as one of their own, but apparently anything that can talk, and has fairly good motor skills is fair game. He fired off a few rounds but then he stopped, so I assumed he ran out of ammo. He fell to the ground trying to get away and as the Zed was about to jump on him, I managed to fire off a round. Zed dead.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/AlarmedBread/screenies/arma2oa2012-05-1423-05-28-42.png

After this close encounter, we met up on the hill over the power station to collect ourselves and make our way towards the center of town. We had heard a couple of rounds fired previously, but the fire was now getting more frequent. We laid down on a hill overlooking the main road into town, and I noticed this huge pack of Zeds gathered next to a section of the hospital. On the roof I saw this man shooting them, but they kept coming, I can’t say I felt terribly sorry for him, as it provided a welcome distraction for the Zeds, assisting us in collecting Omaha’s blood. I found a good spot with a clear view of the entrance to the hospital and watched as Omaha made his way to it. Meanwhile the man kept firing at the Zeds under the building he was standing on. As I took a closer look at him, I noticed he his clothing was peculiar, and he was fairly well armed. He was wearing a bandana. I recalled from conversations with Omaha, the description of the bandits roaming around the area. “He’s one of them!” I thought. I pulled Jane up, looked through the scope and aimed for center mass, no fancy headshots or anything that would jeopardize my chances of taking him down before he saw me. The instant before I pulled the trigger, I thought “I hope I have the brains to look around me if I’m ever in his shoes”. The rifle cracked and the round echoed between the buildings, the bandit was down, and Zeds jumped on him to feed. But I immediately realized the noise would attract more of them, and it did, they slowly started trickling in at first but then more of them started coming. I hoped Omaha was on his way out. A few seconds later he came out running and started yelling “JUST RUN FOR THE HILLS! GO, GO GO!”. No questions asked, I ran for it. We looked back to a horde of Zeds chasing us. We turned around once in a while to drop a couple and kept running. Omaha tried to throw a smoke grenade to confuse them, but the pin got stuck and he was struck. I managed to get some off him, he got up, and we kept running. One by one we kept dropping them, but more of them just showed up! I managed to throw a smoke grenade, thinking it wouldn’t do much good, but our choices were limited at this point. Lo and behold, it did work! They just jumped on the smoke grenade, even more furiously jumping and screaming around it. It lasted 4 minutes. We were safe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/AlarmedBread/screenies/DllHost2012-05-1501-17-47-77.png

We started traveling fast through the hills to the north. Omaha was very worried about remaining around these parts longer than we really needed to. He was fearful of more bandits showing up. Eventually we reached a relatively safe area in the woods. We slowed down as the adrenaline high wore off and started joking around about our little endeavor. I guess you have to have a laugh, even if you almost got eaten. He said he heard my rifle go off, and the Zeds go a little quiet. I told him about the bandit and he looked relieved. I must say though, even if they look the same, albeit Zeds being dumber and uglier, it is somewhat disconcerting killing someone who can actually talk. But well, better him than us. Later on, checking our maps, we realized we were close to an old castle, which looked like a good place to investigate. We cautiously came up to the ruins, we heard a couple of Zeds walking around, but they didn’t seem to be a danger. After Omaha cleared the main tower, we started looking around. The place was a goldmine! Must have been an old hideout. We found plenty of food and supplies to last us for a while. Two successful forays in one day. We were pretty damn happy about it. But we let our guard down momentarily, big mistake. We found a rabbit at one point and thought it would make a hearty meal to celebrate the day’s good fortune. I fired off a round and got it. We didn’t think much of it. But as we started packing to leave, I heard some noises behind the pine trees. A Zed suddenly charged toward us and knocked me down, Omaha took it out. As I collected myself, more kept coming, and I managed to start firing. This looked pretty bad. But a few Zeds later everything went quiet. Close call, but we were safe, and pretty proud of ourselves once more. We kept heading inland, until we reached a spot that looked good to just take a breather and camp for a while. Omaha lit the fire. The rabbit was delicious.

• Like 3

Im new to DayZ and played maybe a total of 10 hours. But already have i had some awsome incidents in the game.

Stuff you can't experiance in 99% of the other games out there.

Anyway here is my story...

It is pitch black.

Me and my friend had just met up outsiden of Cern and sneeked past a few zombies. In a barn we found a Winchester rifle, some ammo and a CZ hunting rifle.

So we get very confident(yes we are noobs) so we start moving towards Cern carrying a flare.

The red glow gives us some limited vision, but we soon start to se zombies up a head.

But since we where still slightly outside the urban area we thought that there is probably just a few of them. We pick them off easily.

But then Hell breaks loose, Zombies from all directions starts popping up and attack us and on top of that the flare goes out. And we can see shit...

Me and my friend Venk run towards the coast with about 15-20 Zombies behind us.

However I manage to run away and hide, my friend however is still being chased by them. I can se the sillouets of him and the zombies in contast to the ocean. I decide to follow him but run through a forest just to not draw any zombie attention.

My friend is now in the harbor in Cern, more zombies has spotted him now about 25-30 zombies are after him. But he manages to run into a big building (next to the yellow crane the one with a burning barrel).

He fires up his last ammo and somehow manages to fall in the stairs and hurt his leg(just like real horror movies).

He tells me how fucked he is, Im spectating the building and can see the horde of zombies around it, some already inside.

So I just sprint towards my friend into the large buildning, Zombies everywhere i try to run up to him but realize the stairs are clogged with zombies. I start firing my Winchester...

Now that damn building has doors everwhere so zombies are comming in from all directions. So everywhere there is zombies walking towards me. Luckily i had alot of rounds so i manage to kill most of them. I get about 35 zombie kills in total that night, probably 20+ from that building alone.

Finally i manage to regroup with my friend on top of the buildning.

Shortly after we managed to get away and fruther along the dock area. Now we get attacked by zombies again and for some reason my friends with no ammo att all runs att the other direction.

Now hes stuck in a building again with zombies walking towards him and he got no ways to get away.

When im about to come to the rescue, i throw a flare out side there to get a better view. But suddenly in the bushes I see something.

Now i was not 100% what it was but i fired twice with the Winchester. But i have no time to check what it was since now the zombies have spotted me.

Luckily there wheren't that many of them this time. So i manages to save my friend...once again.

Once the battle is over i notice that i got a bandit skin. We explore the bushes and yeah its a dead player with nice loot(atleast for beginners like us).

We find a G17 pistol with flashlight, another Winchester, ammo, map, compass, new backpack, matches, food and other useful stuff.

So now we feel confient with our new gear, ready to go and explore even more!

I feel sorry for the guy though. He must have been like "wtf is goin on" when he saw my friend hide in there, then all of a sudden i run past turn at him and fire. It sure is a rough world in DayZ.

Like someone said: " you either die for beans or you kill for beans."

• Like 1

so i jsut Played for 1 hour

came across a town over run with zombies ... lots of them everywhere lol. So i played it super safe then saw a guy run into the woods with a pack of zombies after him , shortly after heard shots off in the distance where he ran to in the woods then saw him run back from the woods with no zombies after him.

I guess thinking he was Rambo he then runs into the city Gets killed by 1 zombie so i shot the zombie with my pistol in prone from about 100 meters away he didnt even see or hear the shot and then i looted the dead guys body

funny thing is the whole time i was shouting do you need help and he never responded maybe he didn't have a mic either way he didn't die in vain as his rations will do me well

i dont just feel like i watched a episode of the walking dead i feel like i just lived an episode of the walking dead!

The game's awesome, haven't experienced anything like this before.

I was moving along the coast, hoping to see some survivors who would join me on my quest to hunt down bandits. Obviously I was on the watch of said bandits too. The sun was high and I had plenty of bullets in my CS-75 and my Makarov, I felt like had the upper hand in any conflict I would get myself into.

As my food was running low I decided to take a quick looting visit to a small coastal town (I think it was Nizhnoye). I scanned the settlement with my scope, seeing no movement save for some walkers. Pasta was aplenty in the town and I was just about to leave when I heard gunshots from the coast. I would have shrugged off and left if it was just a fresh noob fending off zeds, but that wasn't the sound of a Makarov. I decided to check it out.

Creeping in bushes I came to a road running alongside the beach and there was the source of the gunshots: a bandit banging his Winchester . A body of a survivor lay next to him, not far away. I quickly, and I hate to admit, too hastily aimed at his head, my scope still trembling, and shot. I missed. The bandit ran out of sight and I heard roars all around my hat. As I pulled out my Makarov the zeds started swarming me. I shot, reloaded, ran away, shot. Bleeding hard and shaking from pain I emptied all my pistol ammo and resorted to the rifle, which I used to shoot the remaining zeds from the hip. Finally they stopped coming. I bandaged myself thinking that the bandit would shoot my brains out in any minute. But no.

Exhausted, I dived into a bush and scoped around. My vision was blurred. I was very surprised to see the bandit walk into my sights not far away and I lined up a shaking shot. This time it hit and the bandit fell down. Was it this easy after all? I lay down in the bush looking if somebody would come to investigate the shots as I had done before.

Not long after I saw a survivor creeping towards the bandits body. I stood up and saluted, shouting at him thru the voice chat. He didn't notice. As he started looting the bandit I was thinking to myself: "what if he is the respawned bandit, gathering back his lost supplies?". And besides, I had killed the bandit, his loot should be mine. I surprised even myself as I lined up another shot. The survivor fell down in one.

The bandit provided juicy loot, but the survivor was a freshman. Still I feel terribly guilty for him. Also if I had saved him, he could have given me a blood transfer, as the bandit had many packs. Now I'm running thru the woods, blurry, the bandits Winchester in my shaking hands, wondering if next time I can be more human.

• Like 1

I ran across the sandy beach, and across the tracks and to the edge of the highway. I wanted to head north into the woods for some cover. I knelt next to the road to get my bearings and check my gear and supplies. As I counted the amount of makerov rounds left to about 4 clips, I heard the screams of the undead east downshore from me. Another survivor was running at full speed up the road with about 15 zeds on his tail. I ran into the road and shouted to the survivor to run to the side a bit, he got out of my way and I opened fire, he ran to my position and together we fired into the group. A couple of tense moments later the zeds were dead (again) and we were bandaged and fed. the survivor codename was Machete. We headed inland and found another survivor who didnt give his name. we made our way to a farmstead to check for supplies when shouting caught our attention, a man was running from the north with a good 20 zeds chasing him. He was in bad shape, bleeding and shaking, together the four of us climbed into the attic of the barn to hold up machete started to bandage the injured dude while noname and i fired on the zombies. soon i had no ammo. I watched helplessly as machete was grabbed and thrown from the attic to the barn floor. As the zombies swarmed him, we were able to regroup and help injured man, he got up and thinned out the hoard with his pistol, I found a CZ and point blank shot 10 zeds. Machete was dead, saved less then an hour ago, his death was the distraction we needed to survive. As the three of us left stood wondering what to do next, the injured man fell to the ground. we had helped him, but he had lost too much blood and lost all feeling. without anyway to help noname and I discussed what to do, either leave one of us as a guard while the other searched for blood, or...the unspeakable option. As the man woke up he tole us that there was no way one of us could guard him for long, and he didnt want to lay there and starve to death, he asked us...to put him out of his misery. I looked at noname, he had no ammo. I knelt next to the helpless man and thanked him for his help, and i was sorry we weren't able to save him, he replied with a feint "thank you". I put the barrel of the cz to his head, and closed my eyes, I sueezed the tigger...

A little while later noname and I returned to the road, he wanted to meet some friends in Cherno, and I wasnt ready to meet other people at the moment after what I had done. I knew it had been for the best, but it was the first time I had shot a living human being. I gave my cz to noname he could use it to cover his friends on their retreat from Cherno. He gave me a winchester 1866 shotgun he found and 2 boxes of ammo, one slug, and one pellet.

"Are you going to be all right" he asked.

"Yes, I have supplies and ammo, I just need time away from people at the moment."

He looked at me and nodded. "I understand."

I walked up the hill, the sun was starting to settle behind the hills, I would make my way into the hills and find a hole or cave to sleep in. As I walked I thought about what had happened, Saving machete, Meeting Noname, Taking positions in the barn, meetting injured man, watching machete get torn apart, shooting the man...at this point I realized...I never knew his name...

• Like 1

There were five of us moving along the road north of Polana. It was dark. Real dark. The rain had stopped, but the moon remained hidden by black clouds moving inland from the coast. Two of us were hurt bad, myself included. We'd managed to eat enough to keep from blacking out, but our vision was so distorted our point man had to carry a chem light just so we wouldn't get lost. As we approached a gas station pointman called a halt, extinguished the light, and we spread out and moved to cover, three of us on the left side of the road in a thicket, two on the right along the treeline. He had spotted a helicopter, appearing in working order. It was surrounded by bodies. He scanned the area around the chopper while I searched the gas station with my binoculars. I spotted movement and relayed the position, but my blood loss made me unable to determine if the target might be friendly. We had heard reports of bandits over the airwaves so we held tight.

"He's a bandit!" Ben said, "Should we kill him?"

"I don't like this scenario, I say we move on unnoticed," replied James. "Why risk our own necks."

"Besides the helicopter?" I asked. "Obviously this guy set it down in the middle of the field as bait and has been killing the curious for their gear. I say we fuck him up the ass for being a treacherous bastard."

"Well I can't hit him from here. You're going to have to take the shot."

I couldn't take the shot, however, because I could barely see him. "Watch for more, he can't be alone," I said as I crawled to Ben to give him my CZ 550. Brandon and Tony both spotted the second bandit at the same time. Meanwhile Ben was chasing the first guy in his sights but couldn't get a good bead. The second however had run out in the open and crouched in front of the pumps.

"I got him I got him I got him are you ready? Should I take it? Fuck it I'm taking the shot."

Bang.

"I got the fucker!"

The first bandit ran for cover and we all lost sight of him. We sat for several tense minutes without seeing him again. We heard a shot and all of a sudden Brandon was down, a bleeding hole where his eye used to be and the back side of his skull blasted open.

He was just a boy.

Ben and I rolled farther into cover. A transmission regarding a skirmish in the area came over the radio. Ben asked the survivor if he and his group were friendly. He replied yes and we explained our situation, if not our exact location. As it turns out it was their helicopter and theses bandits were the ones attacking them.

James spotted movement in the trees to his 11 o'clock. He was careful not to give himself away, but Ben couldn't see him due to slope of the terrain. James waited quietly, patiently for him to draw closer as he moved in and out of his field of view, his AKS aimed and at the ready.

"Oh shit he's got NV!" we heard him yell as they both fired. James went down. As his lungs expelled the bloody spray of his last breath he cursed the universe, a death rattle that sounded like "laaaaaaaaag..."

A few minutes passed. There was no moving without being seen for either of us, but he had the advantage of the building being near the tree line. Our vigilance paid off though. He must have needed more medical supplies, else he never would have dared to return to his comrade's corpse. One more blast from the 550. He went down in a heap.

The three of us held still for a moment and discussed our approach.

"Contact on the ridge, east in the trees," called Tony. One survivor Ben and I could see, two survivors Tony could see. Before we had a chance to communicate a shot rang out and Ben took one to the dome. I held still, hoping I wouldn't be spotted, but the moon had come out and I had exposed myself looking for the bandit. I was the next to go. Tony took the first shot he could and one of the survivors went down, one murder under his belt. The sniper on the ridge shot Tony last, three murders under his.

Turns out they were the same guys we spoke to over the radio, too nervous to check their fire.

Best experience in game yet.

This night, I was wandering alone in the woods, when I saw a group of 5 bandits. I began to stalk them from a safe distance, just to see where they were going and if I could profit from it, or eventually attack them when they wouldn't expect it. During 20 minutes, I followed them without anyone noticing it. It was easy as they would stop a lot. Eventually they ran in a group of like 8 other bandits, in a village. Things began interesting so I grabbed my binoculars to watch the scene. They all took cover and pointed guns at eachoter, everybody, from both groups was yelling something like "DONTSHOOTOMFGMOTHERFUCKERSDROPYOURWEAPONSFRIENDLYDONTSHOOTMOTHERFUCKER" etc on the local channel. At this point I had a brilliant idea, and shot one bandit of the biggest group with my little winchester, until he died.

At this point everybody was batshit and they went full auto at eachotehr while still yelling something like "OMFGOMFGMOTHERFCUKERSTOPSHOOTING" at the same time.

Everything went to shit and I was doing my best to not wet my pants out of laugh, as those guys were totally going insane on eachother. It was a bloody violent battle, with the voicecom spamming and the dead guys raging over the group chat. I think that at some point one of them totally freaked out and killed almost fucking everybody - including his own friends.

There was only one survivor. Many zombies also attacked (and many got full-auto'd) and the guy was still totally freaking out, shooting in the corners, running and shit. I finished him.

Then I came to take the loot. There was a lot of drama this night.

I have a good story i even made it into a video uploading at the time of posting but it should be ready soon,

Basically me and a friend were split up, miles apart,he was knocked out by zombies and i had to run 2500 m to save him, i had an enfield so when i killed zombies i attracted about 50 or more had to kill every single one of them. Here's the link hope it's good

The very first time I played I had no idea about any controls in Arma2 or anything. I just bought, installed the game and mod, and logged into a server. This was at around 9pm and so everything was pitch black.

At first I thought this was some kind of glitch, that I didn't install the mod files correctly or something, but after a few restarts and poking around with brightness and gamma settings I finally resigned that this was actually intended. The posts on RPS that brought me to the game never mentioned that nights would be LITERRALY pitch-black. All I could see were the treetops silhouetted against the sky. I couldn't even see my gun!

Having waited the whole day to download the game and play it, I resolved myself to at least give it a shot before going to bed, and so I shot my pistol a few times, was surprised to see a patch of grass underneath me illuminated by the muzzle flash, and then just started to blindly run forward, without any direction or any plan or thought. I thought that, maybe, I'll see some lights somewhere and try to move that way.

After blindly stumbling around like this for a few minutes I barely made out what looked like a telephone pole against the sky, and decided that I must be near a road, and started to just walk from pole to pole, hoping that this would eventually bring me to some kind of town, but this being already very late and knowing that the map is huge I decided that I'm fed up not being able to see anything and that I'd just fool around a bit and go to bed.

Having never played the game and never looked at the controls, as I've said, I started fumbling around with the keyboard and finally opened the inventory by pressing 'G'. Then while I was trying to figure out a way

to light the flare, I apparently dropped it on the ground instead, because when I closed the backpack, moved around for a bit more, and reopened it, the flares were no longer there.

This was also the time I figured out how to chat ('/' key), and found out from other players that to cycle between weapons (to equip my flare), I actually had to press 'f'. Well, no point in doing that now, since I already lost my flares on the ground somewhere, but let me back up a few minutes, because the reason why I was frentically looking for flares was because I started to hear zombies around me.

See, just before I started fooling around on the keyboard looking for the inventory key, I fired off about 5 shots into the night. Partly because I was frustrated with the dark, partly because gunshots should apparently attract zombies, and I wanted some action before I logged off.

But when I heard them, something just changed... I was no longer sitting at my desk with a dirty plate on one side. I was actually there, in this pitch black darkness, huddling by what I could only hope was a telephone pole, with no chance in hell of anyone coming to my rescue. Those runts and growls, in the darkness just felt so real that I felt true terror and suddenly I no longer wanted to goad the zombies and experiences some action. Suddenly I no longer felt like I'll just die and respawn. I didn't want to die, oh no, not like this. This was scary, this was nothing like just blowing yourself up with a grenade or something in any other games. Being eaten alive, in this darkness, this was truly terrifying.

This was when I started frentically fumbling around for the inventory key, to light a flare so I could see. This is when I scrambled into the controls options to figure out what key is to chat. I started pleading in chat for help, how do I use these flares? I must have dropped them by mistake, I'll never find them now, but the zombies were coming closer and closer. I heard a helicopter fly over somewhere, and someone said "zombie" on voice chat. My pleading for rescue became even more desperate on the chat. I called for the guys in the helicopter to come back. If they could see the zombies they could probably see me and help me, but the noise of the rotors never returned. Instead, people in chat just became interested in the helicopter themselves.

"Helicopter?" they would say. "Where?" and "where are you?" were repeated by at least four people. I tried to describe my surrounding. "I'm by what looks like a telephone pole", I said. Realizing how dumb and useless I sounded, I added "and there's more of them, running in a line. It must be a road of some kind". After having typed that, I immediately realized how futile my situation really was. Even if somebody was willing to help me, how could they possibly find me? How many roads were there with telephone poles?

All the while, the zombie sounds were getting closer. I was lying in the grass at this point, hoping the zombies would not see me, but I couldn't stand it anymore and I fired off a few more shots. At least the flash would show a little bit infront of me, I thought. There was nothing, but the sounds now began to move increasingly closer to me. My gaming instincts were telling me that by the sounds, the zombies must be right on top of me. I reloaded and fired again. There were two pale, contorted faces no more than 3 meters in front of me. Without thinking I emptied my full clip in their direction and then lay frozen, not moving, listening for more sounds. It was dead quiet, but the tension was tearing me apart. I didn't want to play like this... I wanted to see, just to see, nothing more. The earning for such a simply comfort as light was unbearable. I was pleading again for help in the chat. I wanted to die and respawn with flares, now that I knew how to use them, but I couldn't stand to be killed by zombies.

"What if I make a new player profile, would that make me start over?" I asked in chat. "easier to respawn lol" someone replied. I remembered I saw that in the menu when I was looking at the controls. I pressed ESC and there it was. "Respawn". An escape. A way out. An end.

I didn't hesitate for more than 10 seconds. I hit respawn, and my character died. While I was in the lobby afterwards, I realized what I had just done. I had, in character, commited suicide. The terror was too much for me to bear. When I was presented a quick and easy way out of that situation, I took it. It made me start to wonder what I would have done, if I had really been in such a situation.

All this, from about 15 minutes of playing.

• Like 2

First time I got a Lee Enfield, I thought cool! This is the gun that saved Rourke's Drift. So I slope out of town and head back into the hills to do a bit of food shopping in the villages. It's a rainy evening, an hour or so before dark but it's still pretty gloomy. I leg it up the hill into the treeline, zig-zagging to evade any cheeky little bandits who might spot me running.

I get into the forest unscathed and start wandering in the vague direction of somewhere I thought I knew. Eventually I spot a rootop over a rise at the edge of the forest and I sneak up to have a look.

It a small town, I don't remember the name of it but I do remember the number of zombies that occupied it. There must have been 30 or so. Luckily they were pretty spread out and I could see from the top of the rise that there weren't any hoppers or those nasty little crawling bastards lurking in the long grass. I plan a route down into the village and head off.

I crouch walk to a tree about halfway down then raise my Lee Enfield to continue walking and aiming. I get to the first building and make my way around it to the main road. I glance around the corner to see if there's any obviously enterable building nearby. I see none so I continue along the road, crouching and walking the whole way. I come to a house with a fenced yard and slip through the gate, fully intending to sneak around the house and move along the outside edge of the village.

I get to the corner of the house and look round the corner. Not five feet away there's a zombie. I duck back around the corner and sidle backwards but it's too late. The zombie runs out to the fence, growling and snarling like a mad dog. He turns and charges at me, I raise the Lee Enfield and fire.

Before the zombie hits the ground I hear a dozen others nearby as the shot alerts them. I try to find a decent position to defend from but they're already coming. I line the gate up in the Lee Enfield's iron sights and fire into the raging mass of zombies that is gathering there. Round after round hits them, the rifle's report echoing through the village and beyond, and zombies fall left and right.

I can't believe how many are trying to get to me. No matter how many I kill, the horde doesn't seem to diminish. The Lee Enfield ammo runs out and I switch to my Makarov, which turns out to be empty. I reload while moving backwards and end up with my back to the fence. The zombies are pouring through now and before I can get another shot off they're on me. I'm bleeding, my legs are broken, my vision is all over the place with the pain. And I pass out.

Ah shit, I think as I bleed out under the scrum of zombies, it was the Martini-Henry that saved Rourke's Drift.

Here's my story.

>dream game, instant buy

>have first character for 12 hours, meet up with friend

>friend is laggy as shit even though we both have 15 ping but it's cool

>step on rock

>screen starts shaking then instadeath

>after 30 mins of trying to log on I give it another try

>cherno

>zombies literally teleporting at 15 ping

GG DayZ, maybe I'll play again in a few weeks once rocks don't kill you instantly.