jaytmuk (DayZ)

Dayz koS would be rife irl if there was an apocalypse

What a pile of junk.

2 Families living nearby in seperate houses in an apocalypse

Your family is one of them families

The other family has loads of food

Your family has none

You go ask for some of their food, and they say no

What do you and your family do? Just Die?

Wheres your morals now?

Those with enough to survive can easily afford morals

Tis why you see the vast majority of crime comes from the poorer communities

Junk in ya face :P

- Making predictions about how human beings would behave in a situation that has never occurred before is really mere guesswork. And my guess is that since human beings are social animals, they would organize in groups of various sizes. This is only a guess, though. Also remember that in reality human beings can do a billion different things, not just run around looking for loot, fix cars and fly helicopters. I would guess that in the beginning there would be scientists working towards finding a cure. Now, real smart people could obviously kill these scientists on sight for, er, being alive and trying to do something useful, and blah, blah, blah, <and more pure speculation on my part...>

But let's say you happen to be correct, wouldn't we have the following scenario:

This infection makes human beings an endangered species, and what do we do? In our infinite stupidity, as suggested by Einstein, we proceed to kill each other, because that makes sense in a situation like this. So, on a species level we are committing suicide because of fear and paranoia.

(Great... but there is a better way to do it, I think. Just follow the example of VHEMT (google it), and let's die out peacefully as a species without all that noisy gunfire. It's not a bad idea. Sometimes it's just embarrassing to exist as a human being. (I vote for the ability to turn into a goat.))

- You're playing a game that has guns, and you just want to shoot your gun. Is that too much to ask? I hear you say. [i'm hallucinating.] No, of course not, I reply, but think about it. If we all start to KoS, what we have is a Deathmatch game. Do you really want DayZ to be a deathmatch game? Yes, I hear you say. Nonsense! I roar. How dare you!??! You can't just barge into my hallucination with such a stinking opinion! Huh, I seem to have lost the plot somwhere. Now, where did I put it...

Anyway, in short: All KoS = Deathmatch game -> Dream of open world player generated content in a unique game is dead. Condolences to us all.

Those with enough to survive can easily afford morals

Tis why you see the vast majority of crime comes from the poorer communities

Pretty much. I mean, absolutely. call /discussion until anyone can bring a counter argumentation to this.

EDIT:

Anyway, in short: All KoS = Deathmatch game -> Dream of open world player generated content in a unique game is dead. Condolences to us all.

All have cars = A lot of oil consumed -> no more oil, cars no more. Therefore, we ban cars. BS, you see.

It's called balance through diversity, you know, is what makes many things possible with limited resources ;)

Edited by Itsnotcrazyuntilchachacha

Ok this is hilarious.

Edited by Teih

a method to deter banditry should be introduced that as the more people you kill for the fun of it the more psychotic you become until you see the ghosts of the people you've killed all around you

LOL. Wow.. just wow.

I doubt it would be kill on sight... And do you think all food is processed crap in cans? Ever think of vegetable gardens, hunting?

2 Families living nearby in seperate houses in an apocalypse

Your family is one of them families

The other family has loads of food

Your family has none

You go ask for some of their food, and they say no

What do you and your family do? Just Die?

This is not how DayZ is played though. The DayZ version is more like;

"2 Families living nearby in seperate houses in an apocalypse

Your family is one of those families

Both families have infinate food and drink

The other family has some night vision goggles

Your family has none

You can't be bothered to find your own night vision goggles"

Trying to argue that people kill on sight to survive in DayZ is a load of bullshit. People kill on sight because engaging another player in direct combat is far more interesting than playing a hermit that can survive indefinately due to infinate natural resources.

Edited by porkus_maximus

Q:

"Dayz koS would be rife irl if there was an apocalypse"

A:

"Yes."

Q:

"Dayz koS would be rife irl if there was an apocalypse"

A:

"Yes."

In a zombie apocalypse? So the first thing people would do under the threat of extermination from flesh eating zombies would be to try and kill each other off? I don't think so. In truth you would have an equal mixture of every type of behavoir that scared humans exhibit.

This thread depresses me. 1st world opinions on survival is laughable at best. Would there be violence? Yes. Would everyone KoS? No. Those with skills and intelligence would surely band together and survive. Those who didn't would perish. Me personally I'd opt out, I would not want to live with the nightmares of knowing everyone I loved was killed, turned, or going to die horribly.

This thread depresses me. 1st world opinions on survival is laughable at best. Would there be violence? Yes. Would everyone KoS? No. Those with skills and intelligence would surely band together and survive. Those who didn't would perish. Me personally I'd opt out, I would not want to live with the nightmares of knowing everyone I loved was killed, turned, or going to die horribly.

Not everyone would kill on sight, exactly.

Also OP somehow I doubt that the mentality of DayZ players in-game is an accurate representation of what would happen in real life.

Edited by Inception.

In the event of a zombie apocalypse, YEARS down the line if we survive that long, there'll be a big chance of zombies having either been eradicated by the harsh winters or the searing hot summers, or at the very least having been incapacitated to the degree of not being able to fight as "efficiently" as before. They are still in human bodies, they are still going to die from lack of oxygen, from lack of water, from lack of food, weakened from muscle atrophy, from blood loss, from pretty much everything that we die from, they just seem more slow to do so. They are hard to kill, but not immortal in any sense.

Assuming we survive through that, we as social creatures would likely have been able to make some kind of civilization with rules and laws to abide by. We wouldn't get to the point of free for all, and especially not to the point of taking potshots from hundreds of meters away. Sure, some might do that, but that's because they have let them selves degrade to the same level as zombies, only far more dangerous and should be put down like the rabid animal they are. In my opinion, they are no longer human then, they are a complete disgrace to the human race.

Edited by Darkwater
  • Like 3

I'm getting tired of these posts.

The idea behind this only applies to the vacuum scenario DayZ presents to us: being stuck on a hostile island with a bunch of strangers and a bunch of guns.

In the real world, guess what? You know people. Guess what else? In the real world, you're a wimp who doesn't pick fights if you can avoid it.

People would get into fights, but that would always be tempered by two things: you know each other, and you have a common enemy.

The best example of this is the death camps in World War 2. Yes, you had people stampeding each other for a mouthful of bread, but just as quickly turning to work together to avoid being dragged off to face a machine gun firing squad. Really, the only people who got truly left behind were those who were too physically weak to help themselves.

The people who suggest that in an extreme survival situation, we would see anything like DayZ are talking out of their asses. Look at history, look at what people have done when faced with extreme starvation and death. They will fight, but they will just as often come together to comfort each other and survive.

I believe that posts like this are just cowards trying to defend their banditry as "realistic". There are plenty of places on earth where there essentially is no law and resources are severely limited. And while murder may be more common in these areas, it is nothing at all like the KOS mentallity in a video game. Only a spoiled westerner would even suggest that a video game could in any way simulate that.

If this were truly human nature then societies would never have formed in the first place and we would all be living in tribes murdering each other.

Early humans were not sophisticated enough to even worry about morality, they grouped together to survive because it is the most advantageous method of survival. Loners and murderers would quickly disappear as the group became larger and more well organized and hunted down those that threaten them.

In real life there are no respawns and it wouldn't take long for all the psycopaths to be dealt with. The problem with DayZ is that these people get to respawn and keep up their KOS ways, effectively making it impossible to remove their sub-human tendencies from the genepool, as would happen in reality.

TLDR: The fact that we live in societies now is proof that the KOS mentality is an aberration and has nothing to do with reality.

Omg ur sad.

• Like 1

Omg ur sad.

You should have put more detail into that post. It's useless how it is now.

Not everyone would kill on sight, exactly.

Also OP somehow I doubt that the mentality of DayZ players in-game is an accurate representation of what would happen in real life.

True, its not really an accurate cross section of society who play this mod, rather people who want to have fun with no real risk and have chosen to participate ie. 'Players'.

• Like 1

You should have put more detail into that post. It's useless how it is now.

I think he made a legit succinct point. Bongofish has his knickers in a twist so much because he can't play pretend and make friends on a pooter game, so he comes online and rages.. revealing an ignorance that actually "psychopaths" are our presidents, CEOs etc.. and of course they breed aplenty and are not hunted and killed but rather served under. Serial killer would be a better nomer for what he is saying, although they are usually from higher society and fathers/mothers (hence have passed on their genes!) It was all a non-pointer by someone who sucks at DayZ the video game and seems to expect not to pass on his own genes perhaps.

I think someone needs to go ahead and make a DayZ concept mod for Arma 3, but without zombies. Take out nearly all food and put in cannibalism. Now we have a legit historic reason to KOS which is what is always gonna happen in a video-game with no rules.

• Like 1

I think he made a legit succinct point. Bongofish has his knickers in a twist so much because he can't play pretend and make friends on a pooter game, so he comes online and rages.. revealing an ignorance that actually "psychopaths" are our presidents, CEOs etc.. and of course they breed aplenty and are not hunted and killed but rather served under. Serial killer would be a better nomer for what he is saying, although they are usually from higher society and fathers/mothers (hence have passed on their genes!) It was all a non-pointer by someone who sucks at DayZ the video game and seems to expect not to pass on his own genes perhaps.

I think someone needs to go ahead and make a DayZ concept mod for Arma 3, but without zombies. Take out nearly all food and put in cannibalism. Now we have a legit historic reason to KOS which is what is always gonna happen in a video-game with no rules.

Yup, very few people actually realise that the people who actually are pyschopaths are over represented in leading positions, because their 'abnormal' mentality allows them to exploit others with more ease and because they are better at faking feelings/relationships etc.

They wouldn't KoS though. The intelligent psychopath would try to find out if a person he met was part of group and whether they could be used for personal gain effectively.

Holy copulation guys. How hard can it get for people to just accept the raw, real life as it comes. It's appalling.

You wanna spend your life thinking there's this cosmic justice that's brought upon jerks, and that will reward your good deeds, that's OK for me. I mean it, whatever floats your goat. But pretending that applies, universally no less, in an apocalyptic setting, one that's pretty much about human interaction in its very raw...

I don't know, do you really think that's ok, 'cause I'm getting worried.

If you saw some one you wouldn't shoot them unless you had to. You'd actually be pretty happy to see someone else. What if that guy had a lot of supplies that he'd be willing to share? What if he was with some one else and you get a bullet through the head back at you? You just wouldn't shoot onsite, unless you were a psychopath.

P.S. If bandits looked at things from both sides, then there would be like zilch banditry. But they don't and that makes them selfish c***s

I disagree and I find your hatred of bandits hysterical and emo

This makes me 1000 times happier to kos

Edited by Faceman Peck

Holy copulation guys. How hard can it get for people to just accept the raw, real life as it comes. It's appalling.

You wanna spend your life thinking there's this cosmic justice that's brought upon jerks, and that will reward your good deeds, that's OK for me. I mean it, whatever floats your goat. But pretending that applies, universally no less, in an apocalyptic setting, one that's pretty much about human interaction in its very raw...

Those poor fools will be the first ones dead. Fine by me, gives me more time to prepare myself before los banditos come after MY shit.

I find it really, really hard, however, to actually believe that you guys honestly think that, in an apocolyptic situation with less food than mouths, people will band together.

• Like 1

Keep in mind, taking a life in first experience is something almost impossible to do unless when you are urged enough. But once you do it.. it'll stay with you forever.. you can't just simply witness it, that moment stays with you as long as you live.

But how can you, OP, imagine such a thing like that? You're just probably some guy that stays on his PC for hours, slouching on his office chair, and shows no progress in life at all. You'd probably be completely oblivious of real life consequences for your actions

I find it really, really hard, however, to actually believe that you guys honestly think that, in an apocolyptic situation with less food than mouths, people will band together.

Obviously you're not going to be welcoming every stranger you meet with open arms but at the same time you're not going to simply murder everyone you see because you're feeling hungry, especially since bullets may be just as valuable as food.

This post has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.